• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long live PSP RPGs, Which Do You Want in English?

Takao

Banned
Lindsay said:
.hack//Link
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
Shining Hearts

I dunno what any of the others are like but these three I do know and want big time!

edit: I'm the first to list .hack? I'm saddened but not surprised!

Oh, I knew I forgot something...

duckroll said:
I'm not sure if what is basically a user-poll is really a great idea. There are many websites and places where polls are welcome. But this is a discussion forum and unless there's a specific mod-endorsed poll, I don't see why we need to have a thread dedicated to that. There's a reason why normal users cannot create a poll in a thread after all...

I'll help rectify this by doing my part, with a dash of links to media on them. The "hot in Japan, not elsewhere" phenomenon of the PSP exascerbates the localization orphaning that's already all too common for JRPGs. :(

Grand Knights History

Made by the fine folks at Vanillaware, GKH offers up the stunning 2D Goodness VW is famous for, plus customization and turn-based combat set in a time of war.

Dat Music!

FF Type-0

FFXIII:Agito in a MUCH altered form, now a PSP title of military academy students in a time of war. Carries a FFVIII asctetic from this and more subdued Nomura character design with real-time ARPG combat.

Monsterous amount of gameplay footage with commentary if you can understand Japanese.

Last Ranker

By ImageEpoch via a SUPERGROUP of Japanese game devs. Challenge anyone also sporting a rank to raise yours (not BoF6 heh). Noted for comprehensive skills assortment but not for its sound quality (an IE shortcoming).

A trailer for LR.

Trails in the Sky SC

Part two of Falcom's epic Trails saga, which I am leaving vague partially out of media blackout and partially to not spoil FC (which hopefully is being rectified by everyone reading this. Trust me, it's worth it. :p). Reknowned for supposedly being even BETTER at the characters, scope, and music than FC was.

I've been spoiled on some of the music from video game playlists. Three words: HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Trails in the Sky 3rd

Same as above, but it's known it takes place in the aftermath of SC, rather than being the final act of a trilogy (being vague here again).

Again, HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Zero no Kiseki

Takes place in a different country this time, with new protagonists with new character designer. Again, media blackout.

ElieMacdowell.jpg

Ao no Kiseki

Releases in September over in Japan, continues the story from where Zero left off(?) in Crossbell. Scared to look for even pictures for fear of spoiling.

Yet again, HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT-level music.

Gungnir

Latest offering from Sting. Did NOT do too well in stores, even by niche RPG standards. :(

fdtm42v6epooh1glpeerwi4z9f.jpg

Sting: the anti-Getaway.

Venus and Braves

I've been hot 'n bothered over V&B since it first surfaced at sites like RPGFan and the like back in 2002ish. Mechanics birthed in this have appeared in later titles, but none of them can touch that painting-esque beauty and music. It seems we're getting blueballed twice here.

Note how heavily pro-active battles are.

7th Dragon 2020

Sequel to Power Trio Niinou-Kodama-Yoshiro's unlocalized DS offering, this title takes place in modern Tokyo after those dastardly dragons come in from outer space planting their foul flowers again. Classes are based more around "real world" archetypes like samurai and hackers.

Engrishy trailer.

Just one Last Ranker. For a RPG with a simple concept it actually pulled it off quite well. The plot very ventures into something that's too convoluted nor is there a point where it tries to be more. The battle system is some of the most streamlined I've played for a turn based game. With a quest system that's pretty rich you'll be entertained for hours. Honestly if we had it in English I'd play it to see how they would handle the whole "Seemmpai" business.

Grimmy

Banned
Sorry, I guess I should expound on my list further as requested by the OP. But there's just too many games...

In no order:

Zwei!! (Falcom) - Action/RPG
The game has awesome music. To wit:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXCQXmbZxY&feature=related
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65_4aHPNoZk

Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X (Namco Bandai) - RPG
Despite disappointing sales (due partly to Namco Bandai's incompetent marketing), this was highly rated by fans.

Venus & Brave (Namco Bandai)- RPG
Them graphics and animation!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArVvtEeYOs

Last Ranker (Capcom/imageepoch) - RPG
Great graphics and I like the 1-on-1 combat style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw2JrLAnf_8

Brandish: The Dark Revenant (Falcom) - RPG
Considered the best version of this classic Falcom series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P7ZXuTlqvI

Over My Dead Body (SCEJ/Alfa Systems)- RPG
Shouji Masuda (Linda Cubed) is a mad genius. This remake of the cult PS1 game looks amazing - watercolor world maps and a new battle engine. But the reason for localizing is to see craziness like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GPaW7cyoM&feature=related

Queen's Gate: Spiral Chaos (Namco Bandai) - Strategy RPG
Imagine Super Robot Wars but with buxom women instead of robots. New characters are total fan service: Mai Shiranui, Guilty Gear's Dizzy, Tekken's Lili, Soul Calibur's Ivy, Cham Cham, Wonder Momo, etc. See it in action in this epic 10 minute video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB6zQfNTVKg

androvsky

The main one I want is Sakura Wars 1+2, which is extra frustrating since someone already tried to localize it but got shot down by SCEA a while ago; most likely because it was a previous-gen 2-pack and was pretty much unplayable on UMD. PSN version would be fine. I think SCEA would say yes this time. :)

I'm glad NISA brought over So Long, My Love, but it's still a bit frustrating they (technically Red) decided to start with the worst game in the series. :/

Ellis Kim

Banned
androvsky said:
The main one I want is Sakura Wars 1+2, which is extra frustrating since someone already tried to localize it but got shot down by SCEA a while ago; most likely because it was a previous-gen 2-pack and was pretty much unplayable on UMD. PSN version would be fine. I think SCEA would say yes this time. :)

I'm glad NISA brought over So Long, My Love, but it's still a bit frustrating they (technically Red) decided to start with the worst game in the series. :/
Oh, is it?

Do the robot designs get any better, or is the weird stout look a norm for the series?

I'm looking forward to the rest of the Legend of Heroes TiTs trilogy. I hope they're still planned for localization.

I know there's Last Ranker, but I doubt Capcom will bring that over. But there's still some hope left with Valkryia Chronicles 3. I know someone within Sega said that he's looking into a localized version maybe even a PSN release.

And I'm kind of surprised that the last Monster Hunter game hasn't come over yet. Seeing how the PSP is practically dead here, I think it's just too late now.

EDIT: Forgot about Type-0. I think I'm fairly confident that SE will bring that over. If they brought over Dissidia, 3rd Birthday, and Tactics Ogre, I'm sure they'll bring over a Final Fantasy titled game.

Noirulus

Does anybody know if the PSVita is backwards compatible? My PSP broke a few days after Tactics Ogre came out and I still want to play it really badly :( :(

Or are PSP's cheap now?

Jigsaw

Banned
last ranker really is the holy grail for me as far as psp jrpgs are concerned

i have given up hope on valkyria 3,yakuza and phantasy star infinity,sega has made me lost faith in the human race :|

tales of phantasia 2 won't make it over too for sure,but at least there is a partial translation patch

Noirulus said:
Does anybody know if the PSVita is backwards compatible? My PSP broke a few days after Tactics Ogre came out and I still want to play it really badly :( :(

Or are PSP's cheap now?
I think PSP's are fairly cheap now. I say get one since the Vita may not come out here until next year.

And yes, the Vita is backwards compatible but only through the PSN store. There's no UMD drive.

Yuterald

I guess this would be my top 10. Mainly Falcom stuff because they're the best and most important.

Zwei!!
Brandish: The Dark Revenant
Trails in the Sky SC
Trails in the Sky 3rd
Zero no Kiseki
Ao no Kiseki
Valkyria Chronicles 3
Last Ranker
Suikoden I & II
Tales of Rebirth

Others:
King's Field Additional I
King's Field Additional II
Yakuza: Black Panther
Disaster Report 3 (never going to happen) =(

larvi

I don't know enough about what hasn't been translated to come up with a bunch of recommendations but a couple I do know of that I would like to see localized:

Class of Heroes 2
Wizardry Empire III

Noirulus

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I think PSP's are fairly cheap now. I say get one since the Vita may not come out here until next year.

And yes, the Vita is backwards compatible but only through the PSN store. There's no UMD drive.

I'll look around for some PSPs then, thanks :)

Nix

Banned
1. Valkyria Chronicles 3
2. Last Ranker
3. Grand Knights History
4. Phantasy Star portable- infinity
5. Monster Hunter Portable 3
6. Makai Kingdom
7. La Puccelle
8. Valkyria Chronicles 3
9. Valkyria Chronicles 3
10. Tales of radiant mythology 3

Grimmy

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

My PSP-2000 just went kaputt recently, so I'm debating the same thing. I'll go ahead and get a PSP-3000 since I'd like to keep one for my emulation needs :) Then once Vita's released I'll get that too.

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
-While technically covered since XSeed is devoted to covering this trilogy, how we're actually going to get it overseas is pretty much in question. After all, it's so big it might not even be out by the time the UMD is no longer supported. I would love to see this at retail, because I'd love to buy a 2 UMD game.

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd
-If anything, this game's status is in even more question since it's just a single UMD game. I'd personally hate to see one or two games at retail and the third download only. If this would be the last PSP UMD title ever, I'd be perfectly fine with that. I only say that though, since XSeed already committed to bringing this trilogy over.

3. Valkyria Chronicles 3
- Lots of people love the first and second game. This series is a relatively recent Japanese IP that is being well received everywhere and does not deserve to be dumped by the wayside so soon. I'm surprised Sega's not even going to do a holiday release to give it the greatest chance of doing well.

4. .hack// Link
-As the supposed last game in the series, after seven installments on the PS2, why is getting this game even a question? Namdai should be closing the book everywhere, not leaving it for fans to whine for years to see the series finale. I don't want this turning into another Xenosaga I&II...

5. Megaman Legends I&II port
-Why does Capcom have to always drag their feet with this series? I mean, shouldn't they be trying to raise awareness of the upcoming Legends 3, which MIGHT be coming out? Jogging people's minds on this series would be my first priority, were I manager of the brand. If it comes down to an issue of having to re-license some stuff, I just would like Capcom to man up and deal with it. Please.

6. Zero no Kiseki
-Though we'd be getting this in like 2014, I'd still love to see this happen. I want all of the LoH PSP games over here.

7. Ao no Kiseki
-And we'd be seeing this in about 2015, which is when companies usually stop supporting Sony consoles (after 10 years). It sad that this is likely going to happen in Japan only though. I know I'm not abandoning my PSP any time soon.

8. Final Fantasy Type-0
-Another 2 UMD game I'd love to see at retail. TiTS SC vs. Type-0 in 2012 seriously needs to happen. It'd be a great thing for what's pretty much going to be the PSP's final year. The biggest and the best topping off what was a great handheld just feels so right.

9. Sakura Wars 1+2 port
-Even though SCEA said no to it, which was likely back in the early PSP days, I still want to see these games here after playing So Long, My Love. I loved that game on my PS2. Since the others are apparently better, that means I'm probably going to love the shit out of these first two should I ever play them in English. Perhaps someone can take over for NIS America, whose abandoning the PSP altogether pretty much. Please?

10. Criminal Girls
-Another imageepoch game I'd really like to see. Yeah, it ain't exactly the most...innocent title around, but given the PSP market these days, I'm sure Sony is inactive a "anything goes" policy in regards to localization. So this is just as much a fair game as any. Just wish NISA would keep doing PSP games...

Honestly, if eight of these games released in early 2012, that would probably help the market a lot. It wouldn't be a trickle, at least. There are quite a few names and constantly request games here, too. It would make a lot of people happy and would call for a lot of positive word of mouth.

Rarutos

1) Valkyria Chronicles III
2) Grand Knights Historia
3) Trails in the Sky SC (And the other Kiseki games :p)
4) Shining Hearts
5) Blue Roses
6) Gungnir
7) Blaze Union/Gloria Union
8) Last Ranker
9) Over My Dead Body
10) .hack//Link

Among others! But obvs, I want the first two the most.

Grimmy said:
My PSP-2000 just went kaputt recently, so I'm debating the same thing. I'll go ahead and get a PSP-3000 since I'd like to keep one for my emulation needs :) Then once Vita's released I'll get that too.
I think my PSP 2000 is about to hit the bucket. The UMD drive doesn't read the discs, the battery is dying quicker, and it's just old and beat up.

Good think I still have my Go, although I do have some UMD-only games. I always wondered why some old PSP games never went to the PS Store, like Lumines, Crisis Core, Popolocris, and Mega Man Powered Up.

After Vita gets released I'm going to start filling out my PSP import library, despite PSP remasters and PSP-Vita ports I doubt there will be much chance that we'll see a lot of these games once the focus shifts the the newer handheld.

Bassmastergeneral said:
After Vita gets released I'm going to start filling out my PSP import library, despite PSP remasters and PSP-Vita ports I doubt there will be much chance that we'll see a lot of these games once the focus shifts the the newer handheld.
You could do that now. I'm thinking about ordering some stuff soon.

I always wanted those Macross games on the PSP, but everytime one of them becomes a Greatest Hits, another one comes out! *cry*

I think it's in the last one right now, which would be a good time to finally get one!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey, is that weird futuristic 7th Dragon sequel gonna get left behind in Japan too?

mattiewheels said:
Hey, is that weird futuristic 7th Dragon sequel gonna get left behind in Japan too?
Forgot about that. I thought it just came out recently.

The DS version never came over so it's highly doubtful it'll come over on the PSP. Atlus may bring it over, who knows.

RpgN

1. VALKRYIA CHRONICLES 3
2. Final Fantasy Type-0
3. Trails in the Sky SC
4. Trails in the Sky 3rd

The first 2 especially. I'll import if they don't make it but it would be a shame to not have an English version.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Here's my list :D

Devil Summoner 1

dsummoner.jpg

Dangan Ronpa

31059509.jpg

Grand Knights History

grandknightshistoryprom.jpg

Growlanser 1 PSP

growlanser1pspkeyart01.jpg

Growlanser IV Over Reloaded

growlanserivoverreloade.jpg

La Pucelle Ragnarok

lapucelleragnarokcover0.jpg

Last Ranker

lastranker.png

Lunar II Eternal Blue
It should have existed alongside Silver Star Harmony >.<

lunar2eternalbluepromo0.jpg

Princess Antiphona’s Hymn Angel’s Score Op. A

princessantiphonashymna.jpg

Princess Crown

princesscrownpromo02.jpg

Suikoden I & II

suiv.jpg

The Legend of Heroes VI Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

thelegendofheroesvitrai.jpg

The Legend of Heroes VI Trails in the Sky Third Chapter

thelegendofheroesvitrai.jpg

The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Zero

thelegendofheroesviiwal.jpg

The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Blue

thelegendofheroesviitra.jpg

Ys vs The Legend of Heroes Alternative Saga

ysvsthelegendofheroesal.jpg

To name a few :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Akselziys said:
Devil Summoner 1

Never gonna happen, IIRC: Source code was lost by Atlus Japan?

_KA(HN) said:
Still waiting for Suikoden II PSOne Classic

Even Konami themselves are. They don't own a copy of the game at all, anywhere. ;) ;)

daevv

I'd like to see a remake or redux of Actraiser for any portable system. I replay that game like once a year....Actraiser 2, not so much.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
TheSeks said:
Never gonna happen, IIRC: Source code was lost by Atlus Japan?

Even Konami themselves are. They don't own a copy of the game at all, anywhere. ;) ;)

Yeah, I'm well aware of the situation behind Devil Summoner and Princess Crown ;D

But I still want them :3

I just realized I don't possess any Last Ranker art, but I fixed that with a quickness :)

And I left Suikoden I & II out due to owning the originals, but would be great to have them on PSP too, so added :3!

C'mon Suikoden VI! :D

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ellis Kim said:
  • Valkyria Chronicles III

This.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Akselziys said:
Yeah, I'm well aware of the situation behind Devil Summoner and Princess Crown ;D

But I still want them :3

I just realized I don't possess any Last Ranker art, but I fixed that with a quickness :)

And I left Suikoden I & II out due to owning the originals, but would be great to have them on PSP too, so added :3!

C'mon Suikoden VI! :D

Actually, I've heard that Atlus altered the difficulty in the PSP version of Devil Summoner and that they were blocked by SCEA when they tried to bring it stateside -- apparently, the source code is still around for that one.

Princess Crown... yeah, we're fucked :(

Is that game even navigable without a guide... and still enjoyable?

Grimmy

Banned
Guys, I'd love DANGUN-RONPA to come over and others like Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki Alternative Saga to come over, but they are *not* RPGs....

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Chacranajxy said:
Actually, I've heard that Atlus altered the difficulty in the PSP version of Devil Summoner and that they were blocked by SCEA when they tried to bring it stateside -- apparently, the source code is still around for that one.

Princess Crown... yeah, we're fucked :(

Is that game even navigable without a guide... and still enjoyable?

AFAIK the Princess Crown and DS situations are identical XD

Sony blocking things over difficulty wouldn't make sense, since that's easily changed (see Catherine) :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Let's have a Suikoden I+II group hug, guys. It's a senseless tragedy that this didn't come over here.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Akselziys said:
AFAIK the Princess Crown and DS situations are identical XD

Sony blocking things over difficulty wouldn't make sense, since that's easily changed (see Catherine) :)

Hardcore Gaming 101's my source for the Devil Summoner thing. Prior to reading that, I was under the same impression you are. HG101 tends to be pretty accurate, too, so I'm willing to believe them.

And yeah, my sentence was unclear. The difficulty isn't what Sony blocked the game for. That Atlus could adjust the difficulty merely suggests that they still have the original game code. Sony blocked it because they're assholes, and because it was just a straight Saturn port.

deim0s

Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Better than VCII
Final Promise Story
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
Last Ranker
MHP3rd - Great improvements on the PSP series, capcom is
Black Rock Shooter
Trails in the Sky SC
Any SRW game - pretty much zero chance... due to licensing, but I have to mention em here.
Akiba's Trip - sneaking it here heh.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Playing the japanese Yakuza PSP and Valkyria 3 demos was a huuuuuge mistake ;___;

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Chacranajxy said:
Hardcore Gaming 101's my source for the Devil Summoner thing. Prior to reading that, I was under the same impression you are. HG101 tends to be pretty accurate, too, so I'm willing to believe them.

And yeah, my sentence was unclear. The difficulty isn't what Sony blocked the game for. That Atlus could adjust the difficulty merely suggests that they still have the original game code. Sony blocked it because they're assholes, and because it was just a straight Saturn port.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case and that the source code is indeed lost. Especially since they could have released it by now due to various reasons XD, yet they haven't.

Emonga said:
Yeah no I meant it hurts because we're probably never gonna get any of those and they all look glorious ;_;

Yeah, I need them too T_T

androvsky

Ellis Kim said:
Oh, is it?

Do the robot designs get any better, or is the weird stout look a norm for the series?

Well, some argue that the fourth game was the worst, but that at least has the original girls. It's apparently bad mainly due to it being extremely short and underfunded, since it was made in the dying days of the Dreamcast. I have it, but haven't played it yet.

And the robot designs are weirder and stouter in the earlier games; So Long, My Love was the last major game in the series and has the sleekest designs. In the beginning, they were going for more of a steampunk aesthetic than the 50's jet look of SLML, so it works pretty well.

Honestly though, NISA's localization on So Long, My Love helped it a lot. It's amazing what a solid, polished translation will do for a game that's 90% dialog, but I still prefer the earlier games. I didn't like the flying sections as much; the third game had more interesting battles, and I liked most of the characters in the earlier games better too.

And the first game had some great story moments... some super-goofy ones too, but most of those were still fun. Nothing quite as wild as the Japanese take on 1930's Harlem though. :)

RPGamer92

Banned
1. Last Ranker
2. Tales of games (Phantasia X, Rebirth)
3. FF Type-0 (I'm 95% positive it'll be released in the US)
4. Little Battlers
5. Suikoden 1+2

Top Bottom