• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long live PSP RPGs, Which Do You Want in English?

Macstorm

I know the PSP is waning, there is no denying that, but there are still some publishers will to take a chance on it in NA and for that I'm thrilled.

I just recently started the first of hopefully many polls over on RPGamer trying to see which of the PSP RPGs I listed people would most want to see. Yes, I know my list is odd and has some glaring omissions, but let me just say there is a method to my madness.

Ignoring that, while I'd love for you to vote in that poll, what I really want to do here is open up the GAF floor for voting. Using a bullet list, give me up to ten PSP RPGs you'd most like to see in English. While I'm not going to restrict voting, this is going to be for a feature I'm working on, so being realistic about it would be helpful. Also, avoid listing games that have been officially confirmed, so don't list stuff like Persona 2 IS and Fate/Extra, as we know they're coming. Anything iffy for NA is fair game, though.

If your vote to count in the tally, simply list the games like shown below and then add any comments about it afterward. Also, games are only counting once.

Example:
  • Game 1
  • Game 2
  • Game 3
  • Game 4
  • Game 5
  • Game 6
  • Game 7
  • Game 8
  • Game 9
  • Game 10

Comments and discussion go here.

Thanks and go wild. Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I would love discussion on this. I don't just want a list.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
  • LAST RANKER
  • LAST RANKER
  • LAST RANKER
  • LAST RANKER
  • LAST RANKER
  • LAST RANKER
  • VALKRYIA CHRONICLES 3
  • PHANTASY STAR PORTABLE 2: INFINITY
  • BREATH OF FIRE 3 (sup, US?)
  • LAST RANKER

Edit: Okay, kneejerk posting at title over, where on your site is your list?

• Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

I loved Tri on the Wii, it fixed so many balance issues but i need my MH to be portable. I can't think of any other games i want.

Ellis Kim

Banned
  • Valkyria Chronicles III

Reason is obvious enough. Someone at Sega's gonna get cut if they don't announce an HD remasters with BD 1080p anime cutscenes.

TheSeks said:
Edit: Okay, kneejerk posting at title over, where on your site is your list?
its a small poll in the right sidebar

I'm still holding out a tiny sliver of hope that SE will remake FF6 like they did 1, 2 and the recently released Complete Collection of 4. Those look and sound absolutely gorgeous and FF6 really deserves that kind of loving high-quality 2D treatment (as opposed to the hideous 3D remakes of 3 and 4 on the DS and iPhone).

madara

Emonga said:
I'm still holding out a tiny sliver of hope that SE will remake FF6 like they did 1, 2 and the recently released Complete Collection of 4. Those look and sound absolutely gorgeous and FF6 really deserves that kind of loving high-quality 2D treatment (as opposed to the hideous 3D remakes of 3 and 4 on the DS and iPhone).

Oh god yes. Day Zero

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Macstorm said:
PS: Games only count once, just FYI.

Okay.

• Last Ranker #1
  • Last Ranker #2
  • Last Ranker #3
  • Last Ranker #4
  • Last Ranker #5
  • Last Ranker #6
  • Valk Chron #3
  • Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity
  • Breath of Fire 3 in the US so it's ready for PSP2
  • Last Ranker #7

Work for you? :p

Ellis Kim said:
its a small poll in the right sidebar

Oh, pfft. I voted Valk Chron 3 since that's the only one appealing on the list there so far. But I find the lack of Last Ranker to be disturbing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
it really starts a list thread off on the wrong foot when people are actually encouraged by the op to just mindlessly list titles without actually discussing anything :/

Ellis Kim

Banned
Valkyria Chronicles 3's release needs a Vita port, a PSP UMD/digital release, and a VC2+3 PS3 remasters port (with good boxart) goddammit!

wrowa

• Trails in the Sky SC
  • Trails in the Sky the 3rd
  • Final Fantasy Type-0

After finishing Trails in the Sky I want to continue the story. XSEED's recent comments make me worried, though... FC is more or less a waste of time without the sequels. :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just Last Ranker and Suikoden I+II for me. That the latter was ditched by SCEA is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard, since II is so rare in the US.

Macstorm

Stumpokapow said:
it really starts a list thread off on the wrong foot when people are actually encouraged by the op to just mindlessly list titles without actually discussing anything :/
Sorry, I DO want discussion, just after the list is all. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

semiconscious

Gold Member
  • criminal girls
  • yakuza: black panther
  • valkyria chronicles iii
  • dangan-ronpa
  • monster hunter portable third
  • last ranker
  • black*rock shooter
  • queen's blade: spiral chaos

so much unavailable goodness :) . why? - because i'd likely have more fun playing these games than most of the stuff that is released week after week...

Grimmy

Banned
1. Tengai Makyou: The 4th Apocalypse
2. Over My Dead Body
3. Half-Minute Hero II
4. Grand Knights History
5. Last Ranker
6. Brandish: The Last Revenant
7. Growlanser
8. Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded
9. Tales of Rebirth
10. Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X

Extra:
11. Gungnir
12. Tales of Destiny 2
13. Zwei!!
14. Queen's Gate: Spiral Chaos
15. Venus & Brave
16. Vantage Master Portable
17. Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 3
18. Little Battlers Xperience
19. Blue Roses

Hopefully they'll come over one way or another:
1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter
2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 3rd
3. The Legend of Heroes: Zero on Kiseki
4. The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki
5. Final Fantasy Type-0

Non-RPG
1. Dangun-Ronpa
2. Steins;Gate
3. Princess Maker IV Portable
4. Bleach: Soul Carnival 2
5. Disaster Report 3

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Type O and VC3 are really the only two I can think of (assuming the last 2 TITS chapters are released here).

EDIT: I don't see Type 0 on the list, has it been confirmed for NA for the PSP (please say yes)?

Ellis Kim said:
Valkyria Chronicles 3's release needs a Vita port, a PSP UMD/digital release, and a VC2+3 PS3 remasters port (with good boxart) goddammit!

I agree with this man oh and also MH3p seriously Capcom stop blaming Sony and localize the PSP game

SoilBreak

Banned
Yakuza: Black Panther'
Grand Knights History
Breath of Fire 3 US
Final Fantasy Type-0
Little Battlers
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

Ellis Kim said:

What are the chances Sega would do this? How much begging and groveling did it require to get something like Yakuza 3 released in the US/Europe?

I would be all over a VC2+3 PS3 Remasters bundle.

Grimmy said:
3. Half-Minute Hero II

Damn, how did I forget this!?

• Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Yakuza: Black Panther (well, I guess this is kind of an ARPG)

Those are the only games I'd like to play.

1. Venus & Brave
  2. Brandish: The Last Revenant
  3. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
  4. Genso Suikoden I and II
  5. Yakuza: Black Panther

I think these are all the unlocalized PSP RPGs I care enough about to write down in a list. Tengai Makyou: The 4th Apocalypse sounds interesting, but I would probably like to play the other Tengai Makyou games first.

I wouldnt mind having Blue Roses: The Fairy and Blue Eyed Warriors in English.
BLUE ROSES ~ Yousei to Aoi Hitomi no Senshi-tachi Teaser Trailer
100614_blog_05.jpg

I thought it had interesting character design, musical direction and a nice change in battle system for NIS.

But my bullet list?
  • Blue Roses
  • The Little Battlers

Grand Knights History
Valkyria Chronicles 3
Final Fantasy Type-0
Last Ranker
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Blue Roses

There's not a whole lot to discuss.
There are a lot of fantastic games already out or coming to a platform that has questionable profitability in North America.
I hope publishers will throw us a bone, but in some cases, that may be asking too much from a bean-counting perspective.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
  • Trails in the Sky SC
  • Trails in the Sky 3rd
  • Zero no Kiseki
  • Ao no Kiseki
  • Ys vs Sora no Kiseki Alternative Saga
  • Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
  • Last Ranker
  • Story of the Last Promise
  • Brandish: The Dark Revenant

Yeah... Falcom games. I loved Trails and would love to play the whole series, and I love the Ys games so the crossover makes too much sense.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Way to end things on a sour note with VC2. VC3 looked like a step back in the right direction, but Sega is done with PSP. Hope another publisher is able to pick it up.

Final Fantasy Type-0 - Game looks and sounds awesome. Not sure what to say here. It probably won't be released on PSP though after what SE has said. Probably Vita or PS3 Remaster.

Last Ranker, Story of the Last Promise, and Brandish are kind of list filler, but all of them look at least somewhat interesting to me.

Edit: fixed the formatting.

redlemon

The Last Ranker

I'd love to see the psp re-release of My world My way too to get the dark playthrough or whatever it was called. Not a hope in hell of that happening of course.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
  • Trails in the Sky SC
  • Valkyria Chronicles 3
  • Gungnir
  • Growlanser
  • Last Ranker
  • Black*Rock Shooter
  • 7th Dragon 2020
  • Grand Knights History
  • Venus & Braves

Too many.

Non-RPGs:
Yakuza: Black Panther
Disaster Report 3
Dangan-Ronpa

I'd include Final Fantasy Type-0 but there's no way S-E will skip that, 2D Tales games and Suikoden would be nice too but I wouldn't even bother hoping Namco and Konami would bring them over (V&B made the end of my list but it's pretty much in the same boat).

cj_iwakura

• Growlanser
  • Growlanser IV
  • Half Minute Hero 2
  • Over My Dead Body (It's Alfa System + JRPG + madness. Sold.)
  • Brandish
  • Dangan Ronpa
  • Akiba'sTrip (seriously, it looks like crazy fun)
  • Project Diva 2 (will never happen)
  • Princess Crown
  • La Pucelle: Ragnarok

duckroll

I'm not sure if what is basically a user-poll is really a great idea. There are many websites and places where polls are welcome. But this is a discussion forum and unless there's a specific mod-endorsed poll, I don't see why we need to have a thread dedicated to that. There's a reason why normal users cannot create a poll in a thread after all...

Synless

I don't really see a reason why we can't do something like this. If your argument would be it is going to turn into some stupid fantasy thread, I would argue that most threads already do that anyways.

Macstorm

If it's really a problem to do this poll style, then i'll cut that part, but this is interesting discussion to me at least.

duckroll

Macstorm said:
If it's really a problem to do this poll style, then i'll cut that part, but this is interesting discussion to me at least.

It seems silly because it's basically going to be a poll anyway, and you have clearly stated the intention of the thread, and why you're interested in it. No matter what you do, the majority of people are not going to give a shit about discussing anything once they see a list format. I think the first few posts in the thread give you a pretty good idea of why this is dumb.

Ellis Kim

Banned
ObnoxiousZebra said:
What are the chances Sega would do this? How much begging and groveling did it require to get something like Yakuza 3 released in the US/Europe?

I would be all over a VC2+3 PS3 Remasters bundle.
Chances of Sega doing something like this? Ha, hilariously close to zero. None. Nada.

I fucking lost all faith in Sega West to deliver when E3 came and went without a fucking whisper, with the killing blow being Aaron Webber, former community manager--present Sonic Generations brand manager, got his promotion, no longer being just about the ONLY avid Valkyria fan and Sega employee who was in regular touch with the VC community.

Shit's dead in the water.

The Yakuza 3 campaign was one that took, quite literally, psychotic and egotistical fans to push through, who were obviously ultimately unsatisfied with the cuts that were made. Their insanity and passion is only met by Sonic fans of equal measure.

Valkyria fans are a bit more level headed, I'm afraid.

Aru

- Valkyria Chronicles 3 --> Both previous games were awesome. I just don't want to miss this.
- The Last Ranker --> Concept seems interesting, and I kinda want a spiritual sequel to Breath of Fire
- Gungnir --> I love Sting games (except for Riviera), so the more games that are translated in english, the happier I am.
- Blaze Union --> ^^
- Gloria Union --> ^^
- Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded --> Never tried Growlanser, but when I have the opportunity, I'd gladly do so
- Tales of Rebirth --> Too few Tales of games in the west, we need MOAR
- Tales of Destiny 2 --> ^^
- Yakuza: Black Panther --> The Gamekult review of this game made me interested in it. It seems like to be the best game of the series !
- Final Promise Story (or whatever the english title of this game is) --> Not sure why I want it, but more RPGs can't hurt !

Razlo

* Yakuza: Black Panther
* Monster Hunter Portable Third
* Valkyria Chronicles 3
* Grand Knights History
* Black Rock Shooter
* Little Battlers
* Story of the Last Promise
* The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter
* Tales of Rebirth
* Final Fantasy Type-0

Xiul

• Grand Knights History
  • Tales of Rebirth
  • Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
  • Tales of Destiny 2
  • Tales of the world : RM3
  • Venus & Brave
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
  • Ys vs Sora no Kiseki Alternative Saga
  • Last Ranker
  • Trails in the Sky SC
  • Trails in the Sky the 3rd
  • Half-Minute Hero II

Namco and Sega trolling me forever, at least I have hope for Falcom games.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I would be surprised if it turned out that they weren't going to release Final Fantasy Type-0 as a PS Vita port exclusive here in the states, or at least multiplatform between the PSP, PS3, and Vita. It just doesn't make sense otherwise. Why bother with the PSP at this point for such a high-profile title?

Takao

Banned
  • The Last Ranker
  • Cardboard Senki/The Little Battlers/The Little Battlers Xperience
  • 7th Dragon 2020
  • Over My Dead Body
  • Final Promise Story
  • Coded Soul
  • Zwei!!
  • Final Fantasy Type - 0
  • .hack//LINK
  • Phantasy Star Portable 2i

Coxy

Blaze Union
Gloria Union
Growlanser 1 & 4
Gungnir
Blue Roses
Sakura Taisen 1 & 2
Venus & Braves
Valkyria Chronicles 3
Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity

I feel sad now :(

krYlon

Assuming TitS SC and Third are coming, I would want:

1) Venus and Braves
2) Zero no Kiseki
3) Ao no Kiseki
4) Tengai Makyou: The 4th Apocalypse
5) Suikoden 1 & 2
6) Vantage Master Portable
7) Zwei!!
8) Elminage 2
9) Valkyria Chronicles 3
10) Growlanser IV

I would have said Brandish as well, but actually it's quite easy to play for Japanese non speakers

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
.hack//Link
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity
Shining Hearts

I dunno what any of the others are like but these three I do know and want big time!

I want .hack//Link cause I'm a .hack nut and it the series is gonna end I want closure in english!

PSP2i cause I love that series to! The fact that its been unnannouced has made me lose interest in continuing to play PSP2 which is sad since its so great.

Shining Hearts cause it looks cute and darnit I'm tired of Shining games being stuck in japan.

edit: I'm the first to list .hack? I'm saddened but not surprised!

krYlon

Also I'd like Namco Bandai to release Legend of Heroes: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch (aka White Witch) with the original battle system in place and with a proper translation.

Or just ask Xseed to clean their mess for all the LoH games.

Finalow

Ellis Kim said: