• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #78 - "New World"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have enough interesting experiences nor real-world history knowledge to write something non-fiction aside from a poetic narrative.

I'll be dodging the optional objective this time.

Ashes

Banned
When I tell the truth, its so far fetched, that sometimes I don't even believe it my self.

You know the guy who first came up with how tall Mount Everest's highest peak was, had a rounded figure. 29,000 ft irrc. But who is gonna believe that right? So, to avoid having a situation, where people thought it was rounded to the nearest whole figure, Waugh, added two feet.

Devil is in the detail.

=HERO=

Neo Member
Okay, decided there's not much more I can say about my story from the last challenge, unless someone REALLY wanted to ask me something more about it. Might not do this challenge, but everyone's feedback was helpful and noted.

Ashes

Banned
“Eat. Drink. Play. Drink. Sex. Work. Smoke. Love. Drink. Sleep.”

3nxXy.jpg

XxXxX Eat. Drink. Play. Drink. Sex. Work. Smoke. Love. Drink. Sleep. XxXxX

(2983 words)

“I've been where you were,” Jack said putting money on the pool table, before tucking his wallet back into his suit pocket. His phone vibrated; however, seeing his sister's name flash up, he ignored it.

Connor shrugged.

“Woman like that,” Jack continued. “They squeeze you for money.”

Connor looked at the mysterious stranger he had just befriended; he had that City of London Advertising exec look; the type that held meetings at a strip club on company expense. He was a gritty thirty something year old professional who matched the darkened atmosphere of the snooker club-stroke-bar.

They were talking about a woman who was having a hilarious conversation with a guy at the bar. The person in question, Andrea, had the air of glamour about her, and she made sexy even, her German addled accent.

Jack potted a red. “I was twenty once too. You did it all right. Bought her a drink; made her laugh.”

“How did you know I was twenty?”

“It's a gift,” Jack replied.

“Lucky guess.”

“Maybe, when I sat at the bar, I caught a glance of your D.O.B when you showed the bargirl your I.D.?”

“No. You guessed right.”

Jack laughed. He extended his arm for a handshake. “Jack London.”

“Named after the author?”

“No. The drink,” Jack said wryly.

Connor shook his hand. “The name's Daniel O'Connor. Everybody calls me Connor.”

“Why?”

“Long story.”

Jack pot another red. “Don't mind me saying this. But I've never met a black Irishman before.”

Connor took another cursory glance at the aforementioned beauty in her lovely black dress. “You want to ask whether my mum or dad is Irish right?”

“I presume it was your dad. Unless you took your mother's name?”

Connor quaffed down his frothing pint of Guinness. “Don't mind me saying this mate. You're very cocky.”

Jack missed. He stood up and sharpened his cue. “Sorry,” he said frowning. He stepped out of the light.

Connor potted a blue. Although he didn't mention it aloud, he knew that he had stumped the oh-so-clever Jack London. After potting a second coloured ball, he felt slightly guilty at putting Jack down. Jack's apology came across sincerely. And it was this sincerity that changed the remainder of their conversation for the good.

The two philosophized through a few sessions and enjoyed each other's company so much they exchanged phone numbers to meet up for a table-tennis match. Jack had brought up squash, but Connor was having none of 'that elitist rubbish'. Connor also took home with him a few contacts that would help him chase up his career.

On his walk home, he reflected on Jack London's character. London was a better human being after he was brought down a peg or two. Misery, it seemed, brought out the best in him.

Connor wanted to be like London. He wanted to be in the money, and be able to shrug off the most beautiful woman at the bar; the humility he ended up showing was a little enchanting, as was his confidence, and Jack London was, however off putting it had been to Connor at first, intelligent and insightful.

Jack stood outside the bar and pulled a cigarette to his lip. He loosened his tie.

“Can I borrow a light?” Andrea asked in her German accent.

Jack cupped a flame.

“Are you a faggot?” she asked.

Jack breathed out lifeless smoke inches from her face. “A bundle of sticks? No. But I should tell you, that that's also an abhorrent slur for someone who is gay. Please don't use it any more.”

“Oh a bad word? Sorry, I didn't- I have gay friends as well.”

“Of course you do,” Jack replied wryly. “But that's not why you said it. You were trying to be funny, and you were a little upset that I didn't pay you any attention all night, so, crappy sense of humour plus bitterness mixed in with quite a bit of alcohol equals, I guess: you swearing. Apart from that you speak English very well.”

“Andrea.” Andrea offered her hand, whilst adding a more noticeable drink addled slur to her speech.

Jack puffed away. Then walked away.

“Are you going to leave me standing here?”

Jack paused, eyeing her up from her heels to her curls. “You can walk with me if you like.”

London, the metropolis, has the expected, super-city night-life; the drunken revellers passed them on either side in high spirits or low lows. The weather was good, and a high number of the young men and women in town, be they in their twenties or their fifties, had come out dressed in the latest fashion. The bright neon lights pulled in the punters on the ground-floor of London, whilst the clear dark night, with no stars or moon in sight made obvious the 747s embarking on their voyages across the Atlantic Ocean.

Jack and Andrea walked down the cobbled lanes of Covent Garden, wandering around idly gossiping. Placing a pound into a near empty bottle of whisky beside a homeless man, Andrea asked Jack what he did for a living.

“Something nobody famous does,” he answered.

“Huh?”

“Which leads me to ask why that photographer has been following us?”

“Maybe, he is, er, stalking me?”

“Well then he has a Facebook group page, because there is another one down that street.”

Andrea shrugged. “Urgh...”

“Want to have a Chinese takeaway?” Jack asked ushering her into a Chinese restaurant. He spoke to the manager, who pocketed a fifty pound note, and led them through the back.

“You pay him to get us out of the back door?”

“No. I paid him for food.”

Just as the clock struck three, the couple shared noodles and a couple of beers, as they sat cross-legged on the floor of a five star suite.

“If you live in London, why didn't you take me home?”

“Because I didn't want to take you home.”

“You have a wife?”

Jack shook his head. “No girlfriend either. I have a little sister. You'd like her. Everybody does.”

“You just broke up with your girlfriend?”

“No. Why are we talking about that stuff?”

“I want to know about you. I think. Don't you want to know about me?”

“No,” Jack replied as he got up and took out his phone. “I didn't take you home, because I don't want your 'stalkers' to know where I live. I'll be back in a bit; I have to call my sister.”

“You're very smart. I didn't think of that.”

“Thank you,” Jack replied as he left for the balcony.

Andrea reached for his pockets - as soon as he left - and took out his wallet. Jack London was the name on the Driving license. There was also a picture of what could only be his sister. She was in her graduation robes; no lover would keep that photograph of her, Andrea figured. There was a faint visual similarity too.

She walked to the glassy balcony door and pressed her ear against it.

“Shit happens Eliza. You have to have enough humility to do the right thing. I know he's your ex, but if he is supposed to win, then you have to step out of the way.... but you don't know that Eliza; all you know is that he might have used you, Eliza, don't- No. Eliza London: you hear me straight now. If he is supposed to win that contract, <on merit>, you have to do the right thing.”

Convinced that the talk was about business, and not a purely private one, Andrea knocked, lit up a cancer stick and offered Jack a piece. Jack accepted and walked over to the end of the balcony to finish up his conversation.

“Do you not like me because I am this famous person?”

“No it isn't that. And I do like you. But I don't think we can live together.”

“Who is talking about living together?”

“If you're not worth living with, why would I chase after you?”

Andrea laughed. She stretched out her hands putting her self in the light. When this didn't get through, she said: “Und Sex?”

“Classy,” said Jack. “I've left that all behind. It gets tiring. I haven't been to a nightclub in a long time. Its all good at night; not so good in the morning.”

“Why?”

“Truth? One day, a long time ago now, I woke up next to one of the most beautiful girls in the world. Before waking up, everything was pretty damn cool. After I woke up, I felt nothing. This girl liked me. I felt absolutely nothing for her. This girl liked me, and I liked her, before having sex with her. When it was over. It was over. And I knew, in that moment, that I didn't want to be that person.”

Andrea could see that Jack was reliving the memory as he watched the cityscape laid out in front of him. Everything was dark but for the city's cat eyes, the lights here and there; they were like little candles shimmering in the dark. St Paul's Cathedral stood out with its classic dome. As did the London Eye, its modernity gracing the history of London and ushering it gently into the newer world.

“What if some day, when you are fifty, sixty, or seventy, you wake up and regret that you never took advantage of the beautiful girls who threw themselves at your feet.”

“Are you afraid of missing out?”

“Yeah, I guess so,” Andrea asked.

“Been there, felt that.”

“And what is your answer?”

“I don't have an answer. I mean, I may not read tea leaves, but I know I took a left on this highway, because I didn't like where it was heading, so wherever it is heading, <now>, even if its hell, it's better than whatever heaven would have awaited me.”

“Because you <were> in heaven, and you didn't like it?”

“Hallelujah,” Jack said softly.

They talked for a while, before they made their way to bed. They made it to the tenth minute of the made-for-tv-film before the condoms came out.

The paparazzi were waiting for Andrea when Jack dropped her off at her hotel room. Andrea smiled sheepishly as she passed them. She enjoyed the feeling of walking barefoot across the red hotel-floor carpet.

She wore Jack's blazer even though it was not particularly cold. She liked the embrace of his warm clothes. She exchanged a soft love-like tender smile, as she leant into him, her head resting on his shoulders. Don't fall for him, she warned her self. Just don't.

And yet, she was overcome with warmth. She imagined their ending scene, later that morning, at King's Cross, each going their own way, leaving two cups of undisturbed tea on a salient café table...

“Do you know why I came to London all alone?” she asked.

“No.”

“You don't want to know?”

“Not really. If you don't want to tell me, that is fine.”

“But I do want to tell you. And only because you want to know.”

“Don't draw it out. Just tell me.”

“No. I'm going in. Ich bin Ihnen sehr dankbar (I'm very grateful/thankful to you). Do you know what I said?"

“Danke? Thanks. You were saying goodbye?”

“So you can figure out what it means and implies, but you don't know the tone.”

“...You don't like being used. I can understand that. I apologise.”

“Hollow apology. And no I am not talking about that. I had a lovely time. But I have to get my beauty sleep in.”

Jack was about to utter another theory, but said nothing aloud. He kissed her on each cheek, and left for home.

Andrea shut the door behind her, reflecting in the dark, the turn of events.

She took out a glass and poured wine. She stopped halfway and drank from the bottle instead. With nobody to witness her, she started crying. Then abruptly stopped. She then threw the wine glass at the wall.

“Dumme kuh,” she cried. “Du dumme kuh.”

She drank straight from the bottle again – looking out the balcony as she did so. She drank again, and allowed the liquid to stain her clothes. She cried momentarily before settling on the chaise longue. In her drunken stupor, she took off her ruined clothes and eyed the pile on the floor.

“Do you know why I came to London?” she said in the shower. She settled on the floor and allowed the warm rain to comfort her. She sat in the shower for well over an hour.

She opened the hotel room door in her nude state and looked both ways. She couldn't remember what she was doing outside, so turned to get back in, only to see that her hotel room was locked behind her. Defeated, and out of hope, she sat on the floor.

A security guard watched her on CCTV, and so called the reception, but nobody picked up.

Jack came back into the hotel to find the front desk vacated. He looked both ways, and went behind the counter to pick up the penthouse card key. The receptionist returned that very moment, but recognised him, and instead of admonishing him, he asked Jack to return the key to the receptionist personally when they checked out. V.I.P guests were treated differently in some establishments, Jack thought. Even so, Jack made a mental note to tip the fellow and thanked him for the kindness.

He found Andrea, naked, sleeping on the floor. He imagined that he would carry her in, but as soon as he inserted the card key, she woke up.

“I feel sick,” she said, as bile dripped out of her lip.

“You wore my blazer. My wallet... everything is there...”

Andrea wasn't interested in the reason. She had a migraine, and was conscious of the fact that she was naked on the floor of a hotel walkway, and that she wanted to throw up. As they walked in, she reached for her underwear and slid into it. She looked for a suitcase and found a t-shirt. She saw Jack observe the mess of a room; particularly the wine stain on the wall and the broken glass on the floor. She was thankful that he kept his silence. He didn't seem to be judging her, nor did he leave.

“I'm going to be sick,” she cried. Jack helped her into the bathroom. Whilst she fell to the floor, and angled her self over the loo, she saw Jack climb into the bathtub. He was tired and wanted to go to sleep. His hand slipped and the shower switched on.

“Say something,” Andrea asked having cleared her stomach and flushed the half processed remnants of noodles away. “Just fill the silence...”

He didn't argue back or moan, nor jest. He just spoke what he thought. “Do you want me to talk about the new world? The post-modern world.”

“As long as you don't preach.”

“Oh everything I say, I do myself.”

“Okay,” Andrea said rolling onto her back. “Let's hear the drunk man's thoughts.”

“We drink too much...” he started off.

“Can't deny it,” Andrea said.

“As a whole I mean. Society as a whole.”

“Well, us two for sure anyway.”

“We drink too much. We smoke too much. We eat too much. There is too much sex everywhere.”

“Yep. Too many of us smoke...”

“And I may not know what the answer is, but we done fucked up somewhere. Right?”

“Hallelujah... Hic!"

Later that morning, both were flopped fully clothed in bed.

“You don't have to take the morning train,” Jack said.

Andrea's eyes lifted. Her heart thumped in eagerness only to be let down again.

“Trains. You miss one, another one comes soon after.”

Andrea took the comment to mean more than it actually did. She thought Jack was using it as a metaphor to console her. She interpreted Jack's words like the cliché: there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Jack thought nothing like this. “I can book you a ticket for the evening train.”

Andrea wanted to end things on her own terms again, but Jack evaded the question, and dropped her off at the station. He kissed her on both cheeks and waved her off.

He sat down again at the table they had been sitting. Two cups of tea were on the table. One lay untouched. He picked up his phone. “I need some advice,” he texted.

“I'll try my best,” she replied. She recalled the words Jack had told his sister on the balcony the night before.

“There's this beautiful girl, and I want to take her out somewhere nice. I don't have a clue where to take her. Any ideas?”

“Nope. London's over-rated.”

Jack laughed. He put his phone back into his pocket and took a sip of the warm tea. His phone vibrated again.

“Berlin's cool. And lucky for you, I know a girl who knows that town inside out.”

“Race you there,” Jack texted back.

“Huh!” Jack thought in reflection. “All that, and nobody mentioned the war!”

He chuckled from the bottom of his heart, before the emotion simmered, to his usual cool temperament, and his eyes wondered to where his ears carried them. He looked on as a couple barely danced in each other's hand, locked though they were in each other's embrace, in front of a busker singing a Bon Iver tune, about a flume, each in their own world, oblivious to the world at large.

An old man sweeped - in the archaic sense - the street behind Jack London, before leaning against a lamppost because his back ached. He watched the wind fling up the autumn leaves and carry it in her embraces. He heard the bell toll. Then he swiped the sweat off his brow and carried on working...

XxXxX Eat. Drink. Play. Drink. Sex. Work. Friendship. Smoke. Love. Drink. Sleep. XxXxX

Note: This is a side story tied to my first novel (due out in August on your Kindles!), so it is intentionally enigmatic for now.

Tales from the Dream Cosmopolitan: The Irenic Silhouette

Word Count: 2106

Death looked upon a broken world created by a broken boy. He wished he could undo all the damage the mind had plagued upon the soul, but to travel amongst dreams is to not cause interference, except... sometimes that was out of the question.

Danny looked out the window to the bleak, grey-red sky. The same color as it had been yesterday, and the day before that, and on and on since he'd ever been able to see... out of the one eye that worked. The other was horribly disfigured, lopsided and sagging down one side of his face. Of course, the classroom that threatened to swallow him was filled with the same disfigurement. All of his classmates had lost limbs, or other grotesque disabilities that had made them all united in some sort of twisted common bond.

His best friend, Mario, was born without legs. He wheeled around the school on a small roller by using his arms to push him around, since his family couldn't afford a wheelchair. No one else had had much money either, because everyone's families were similarly flawed. Even his teacher, the person that Danny looked up to most (even that wasn't much, reverence being so worthless in such a place), hopped around on one leg and lacked a right arm.

We were fractional people. They even called us by our fractions, depending on how many limbs we'd had. I was one of the lucky few with most of my limbs intact, and because of it I was ostracized. The less you had, the more you were respected. But then how did we even have chairs or desks to use? How did we even learn if we were all in such disrepair that we couldn't function like normal?

“Danny, since you seem to like staring off into space,” his teacher's sharp, broken voice said, cutting through the air (a voice that seemed neither masculine or feminine, perhaps a mix, or none at all), snapping Danny out of his trance. “You can tell us how we come to have all of the things we do, despite being fractionals.”

A part of Danny didn't want to say anything. The truth of it all was too dark for him, too bleak. As bleak as the red-grey sky threatening to shatter like so many crystalline pieces. He'd rather the sky broke then have to deal with another day of being so broken himself. But the truth...

“We were left behind by the Wholes, who live across the wide, poison ocean. And we can't reach them again because they left us with nothing to cross it. It was our punishment.”

“Our punishment for what?” The ungendered voice asked, even sharper this time, rattling Danny's inner ear (another part of him slowly failing, like everything else).

“For the first Man and first Woman being born without the same... um... uhh... I don't remember the word-”

“Faculties.”

“-y, yeah, faculties. They were seen as abominations of God and so we were all cast out. They put us here until our um... faculties came back, or until we died...”

“I do not remember telling you that we were meant to die here. Danny, do not embellish the creation story and scare your classmates.”

“It's not like they don't agree with me!” Danny yelled, making everyone else in the class turn and look at him, those that could see anyway.

“Leave.” His teacher pointed with her left arm to the door, and so Danny shuffled out, hip dysplasia making his legs move in an uneven fashion. He saw all the glares from his left, and could only imagine them from his right.

“So what did you do, then?” The figure asked, nothing more than a floating mask and two floating hands.

“I walked out from the schoolyard and almost got hit by a car. But I'll be honest, I wanted to be hit by it. I was tired of what I was, what we were, what all this was. Or maybe it could disfigure me more, to the point where I'd stop caring. I could just sit in the hospital all day... and look out at nothing, because I was nothing.”

“These are stupid, destructive ideas. You know this and I know this. Why don't you tell me why you created all of this? Maybe it will end.”

“... created this? What are you talking about?”

---

Before heading home, Danny stopped by a small church that happened to be on his way back. The church celebrated no one in particular, but instead taught words of warning and precaution. Every time he'd gone there, the pastor (in damaged robes, blind and deaf, preaching to no one in particular, yet droves would come and take his words in like delicious, cloying ambrosia) would tell him that he, personally, must have unending patience, because in time he'll be as perfect as the Wholes.

The ironic part of it all was the fact that no one ever became a Whole.

“You are but broken toys, and in time, you will find some solace in that. Will it come soon? Will it come later? We do not know the answer to these questions. We can only pray to God that we will be reunited with our ancestors, who are always watching over us, even when we feel like they are not.”

Danny sat down in a pew and looked up at the murals on the walls. Many of them were painted with symbols of some man, but no one knew who that man was. The only answer he'd gotten was that the church was built back when the Wholes had lived here. He turned and looked up at where God was supposed to be, a giant stained glass window that shone down colored light upon all His flawed subjects.

“Why don't you tell me what to do, God?” He asked out loud, to no one. And no one answered. He blinked and found himself elsewhere.

She was there, all perfect and wholesome, a girl about his age with flowing dirty blonde hair and totally nude, sleeping inside a sphere made of pure, iridescent light. But that light was starting to fray at the edges, the red-grey creeping in. She was all he could see in the threatening darkness around him. He never knew who she was, but for some reason every time he'd gone to the church he'd find himself transported here, by his own volition or something else he couldn't determine. But something about her was soothing, calming... like he'd known her in another life.

She opened her eyes and turned to him, smiling the same warm smile she'd always give him. The same mystifying smile that confused and delighted him at the same time. Who are you and why are you here? His gaze would ask in return, as much as he could give her with one eye and a useless half-face.

“I thought about you today, Danny. I was thinking... maybe we could go see a movie or something? I heard some new scary movie was out and we could sneak into it, y'know... pretend we were seeing something else? Screw the rules, we're old enough for it!”

She'd grin then, with perfect and pristine teeth that seemed even more white than the sphere itself, and like clockwork, she'd turn over and go back to sleep, as if it had never happened.

Every time he felt like saying something to her, but it was like the words were dancing on his tongue, refusing to leap off and make themselves sounds. So they just continued to waltz, ambivalent to his desires.

“Who is she, Danny?”

“I don't know! For the last fucking time, I don't!”

Death could see he'd aggravated the boy, this was the first time he'd been vulgar towards him. He could see that he was beginning to overstep his bounds, but the truth was there, right in front of him. Death didn't want to fix the boy, but that seemed to be what was necessary.

“You told me yourself that part of you knew who she was. She speaks to you, tells you of a world outside the one you know, right?”

A nosebleed began to snake its way down the boy's face, and his working left eye began to twitch and roll around his head.

“Shit... no, I'm going too far.”

---

Home was sometimes the only solace Danny found. But his parents were never around, and when they were they couldn't do much for him – his mother was deaf-mute and his father deaf-blind. Their communication was so limited that they might as well have not existed, as little as Danny had ever seen or talked to them. Instead, he was raised by friends of the family, and the only reason they were ever there was because deaf-mutes and deaf-blinds were seen as the most broken fractions there were. Half of a half of a half, and the more halves you were deemed, the more people cared.

By all rights, Danny should have been happy living in a world where brokenness was revered, but he wasn't as broken as they were.

Or at least I wasn't as broken as I wanted to believe.

He liked to believe that his parents weren't his parents, and that they were Wholes from across the poison sea. So after dinner (the same misread recipe that lead to the same mistake meatloaf) he went to the pier, to gaze out across the purplish death ocean. And that was where he met Death.

“There's always a chance your parents are Wholes, you know.” The figure told him.

“What... what are you? Am I seeing things? My doctor told me-”

“You are not. I am as real as you are. But I am whole, as little as there is to me.” Death was little more than a stoic masquerade mask and two floating, gloved hands, but he operated them ambidextrously to prove the point that he, fortunately, was not in disrepair.

Danny sat down, his legs dangling over the edge of the pier. He turned to look back and saw that the city behind him had disappeared, a white void in its place. For some reason, this didn't seem to bother him... so he turned back and looked out across the violet waves.

“I always thought that if there was a chance that my parents were Wholes, why would they give birth to something like me?”

“Because you're not as much of an abomination as you think you are.”

---

“I'm only going to ask you one more time.” Death said, the boy strapped to a chair, a light above him, and all else around him unseeable. All Danny could hear was the masked figure's voice, as it echoed and hopped nebulously between both ears.

“I still... I still don't know what you're talking about! I see her, and I... I want to say something and I can't, but... Emily...”

The boy's head snapped back in the chair as he cried out in pain, blood coming out of both nostrils as he did so.

“Emily... you're in love with a girl, aren't you? And she... I see it now.”

Each word stabbed into Danny like so many needles, acupuncture gone awry, no rhyme or reason to each pinprick into unblemished skin.

“You've built a world where she's all you ever want to be – perfectly whole, not tarnished and blighted. And so you see her, and she's all that's good and right in the world. Everything else you know is fractional, pieces of the pie all tossed around in your mad frenzy.”

“Stop... stop talking. Stop it... please!!”

Death could see that the boy was dying, but it was already too late. He'd gone further than he thought he would... but a part of him wanted to test the limits. It was for the project, after all. And the boy... he was just a test...

---

Danny woke up to a foreign, unknown world. And for a brief few seconds, he saw the face of a man with red eyes, looking down upon him with no remorse. Then the pain flooded him, and everything began to fade away, piece by piece. In his final moment, he saw Emily's face, smiling at him.

“You're normal to me.” She whispered, and then turned away, as she had always done.

Azih

Struggled to get it done tonight as I'm going to be away forth rest of the week (yay, vacation)
Word count 3000

Vandals in the Turnip Patch or a Lawyer in the Family

The Judge sighed again as he shifted his weight on the uneven, splintery chair and peered into the collection bucket. Instead of the pence and shillings he preferred he instead found a few ha-pennis and farthings, a half dozen motley eggs packed in hay and a bunch of suspiciously large turnips. He looked up with an expression that was equal parts stoic suffering and mild disdain.

The life of a travelling judge wasn’t an easy one to be sure, but it had its pleasures in the small cities and large market towns that made up most his cricuit. The litigants were generous in paying his fees (collected anonymously before the trial of course to stave off charges of corruption and, more importantly, preventing the losing party from storming off without paying at all), the cases were interesting more often than not, and the citizens appreciated the King’s Law and treated him with the respect that a representative of it deserved.

What the Judge saw when he looked up instead was the inside of a dingy barn in the village of Codswallop. Barely marked on any map and out of the way of the local trade routes he had only visited it a few entirely forgettable times in his tenure. The slack jawed awe of the rustic inhabitants bored him and he was obliged to accept whatever meager scraps they scraped together for his fee. Worse the disputes were always either incredibly uninteresting or just the latest flare ups in some petty long running feud (the towns and cities had a much better class of vendetta the Judge had always thought). Still, he mused, every place in the realm deserved the rule of law and he wouldn’t be tromping around the backwaters of the kingdom for much longer anyway. He was looking forward to his approaching retirement to his small but well appointed manor home in the town of Collingsworth and perhaps doing a bit of litigating of his own on the side.

His musings were interrupted by a nudge from Ben, his companion travelling bailiff. He started and focused as Ben nodded towards the two villagers standing nervously in front of him, their hats clutched tightly in their hands. Standing crowded in behind them was what seemed like the entire population of Codswallop shifting and murmuring and waiting for the show to begin. This was probably the most interesting thing to happen to them in months the Judge sniffed to himself. He harrumphed and fixed them with a stern gaze devoid of its usual authority as he was staring up at them. The place didn’t even have a platform for his seat by God! The lone cow in a stall at the back certainly didn’t seem impressed.

“Order! Order in the court!” he rumbled. His baritone reverberating throughout the appropriated barn. The village people quieted and the proceedings began.

“Well out with it. Who’s bringing the complaint?” he said waving his hands at the two dingy men standing in front of him.

The man on the right raised his hand hesitantly.

“Your name?” the Judge asked.

“Melvin sir.. .Melvin Farmer” the man responded voice pitching high with tension.

The Judge scribbled this down in his record book with a sigh. He usually hired a scribe for this sort of thing but he very greatly doubted anyone in the village could read let alone write. In any case, he thought, what exactly would he pay the scribe with? An egg? Half a turnip? Come to think of it his bailiff should be the one asking for these tedious details. The last thought was an old and familiar one for the Judge and quickly dismissed. Ben had never been a loquacious one; he made up for it in other ways.

“And you.” The Judge motioned at the other man. “Your name?”

“Saul Herd your lordship” the man replied.

The Judge grunted as he recorded this as well. “And what is the nature of your complaint Mr.Farmer?” He asked without looking up from this task.

“Well your.. lordship, My name’s Farmer.. Melvin Farmer and I work some of the land down by the river. I’ve got a few different plots sir, and my family has been farming here for generations sir. My grandpa…” Melvin began.

The Judge waved an impatient hand “Yes, yes, very impressive. What is the nature of your complaint Mr. Farmer?”

A little nonplussed Melvin responded “Ah well I’ve been working a plot of vegetables sir, especially turnips sir, and it’s been coming along very nice. I was at the fair and market with my helpers and when I came back I found the whole plot was destroyed sir! Trampled! That plot makes up a lot of my livelihood sir!”

Saul had been getting more and more worked up as Melvin spoke and burst out “It’s a travesty that I’ve been accused of this your lordship! I’ve done nothing to him and it’s a TRAVESTY that.. ” he petered out as the Judge held up a hand for silence and glared at him. The crowd tittered at how quickly Saul withered under the Judge’s gaze.

“There will be ORDER in the court and you will not speak until you are SPOKEN to, is that understood Mr.Herd?” The Judge rumbled as Ben shifted slightly next to him and turned his quiet steady gaze towards Saul.

Saul, flustered, lapsed into silence and nodded.

“Now, Mr. Farmer. Why exactly are you accusing Mr.Herd of the vandalism of your plot?”

Melvin gripped his hat tighter and shifted nervously. “Saul’s been a very good neighbour to me sir, and he’s never done me any wrong but the plot was trampled by a cow and… Saul’s got the only cow in the village.” The villagers murmured and nodded to each other, agreeing with Melvin.

The Judge noted this and turned his attention to Saul, “Is it true you have the only cow in Codswallop?”

“Well, yes your lordship” Saul replied. “That’s my Bessie and a fine cow she is too. She’s never done any harm to anyone.”

“And I suppose that is her in the back?” the judge said motioning at the only occupied stall in the dilapidated barn.

“Yes your lordship. This is my barn, your honour, the only one in the village.” Saul said swelling with pride. “She’s a gentle as a lamb and she never trampled any vegetables. How can he say that it was done by a cow anyway lord? It could have been vagabonds or such.” Saul said as hel narrowed his eyes at Melvin.

The Judge snorted at Saul’s elaboration but acknowledged the point. “This is true, we have only your word that your plot was trampled by a cow. Or trampled at all indeed!.” He addressed Melvin.

Melvin got flustered. “Sir! I wouldn’t lie sir! And I could show you it, it’s only a twenty minute ride away and you can see plain that it’s a cow that done it…” Melvin trailed away as he noticed the Judge glaring at this suggestion.

“There isn’t enough evidence to support the accusation.” The Judge shook his head as Melvin remained silent. “I hereby order the case dismissed!” And just as he was bringing the gavel down on the overturned slop through that was serving as his bench the barn door banged open.

Everybody turned and gasped at the man who came striding in. Wearing a fitted black coat with well turned tail and a short stylish wig the handsome man was the perfect image of a young gent. He nodded and smiled as he walked past the villagers favouring Saul only with a cool look as he came to a stop next to a suddenly mortified Melvin. Saul’s smirk slipped as he returned the man’s look with a glare of his own.

“And who might you be?” the Judge raised his eyebrows.

“Alistair, Your Honour.” The young man returned in a cultured accent. “Alistair Farmer.”

The Judge’s eyebrows arched further as he shifted his gaze to Melvin.

“He’s, my son sir.” Melvin said hurriedly.

“Alistair.... Farmer?” The Judge asked him

“His mum liked the name, she dotes on him..” Melvin said embarrassed. “He’s just visiting from Heathway, sir.”

“Ah” The Judge said. Heathway College, a fine school with a good reputation, was distinguished by a head trust which did not give a whit for the breeding of their students but only on their parent’s ability to pay their fees. The Judge looked closer at Melvin, the clothes he was wearing were plain and drab true, but he had assumed them to be shapeless when they were actually very decently tailored. Saul’s on the other hand turned out to be worse on second glance then they looked in the first.

“Your turnips must be doing well.” The Judge said to Melvin.

“Yes sir!” Melvin responded. “They fetch a very pretty penny at the markets, people come from miles away for them.”

“Hmm…” the Judge said as he glanced at his bucket again with newly appraising eyes. “So Mr Farmer the Younger. What exactly are you here for?”.

‘I am here” Alistair announced in a voice pitched to resound throughout the barn. “To prove that not only were my father’s turnips destroyed by the hooves of Mr.Herd’s heifer but that it was done so in a premeditated manner with the most MALICIOUS of intents.”

The Judge digested this. “The cow… had malicious intent?”. Melvin buried his face in his hands as the crowd behind him giggled and laughed.

“Not the cow, your Honour” said an unfazed Alistair. “Mr.Herd.” And with this Alistair stepped out in front of his father and started pacing between the two litigants and the judge’s bench.

“Isn’t it true Mr.Herd” Alistair said as he paced, every eye in the barn on him. “That your family and mine have been neighbours for a very long time?”

With narrowed eyes Saul looked like he was going to refuse to answer until a glance at the Judge told him that would be unwise. “Yes” he said through gritted teeth.

“And isn’t it true that your family used to be the proprietors of an actual herd of cows, not just scraping by with one?” Alistair continued.

The Judge could almost hear Saul’s teeth grinding against each other as he forced out another answer in the affirmative.

“Perhaps you could tell us how your family came to such dire straits.” Alistair said, and then continued without waiting for Saul to answer. “Wasn’t it your father who wasted your family’s fortune and then started selling off the herd one by one? “. Saul didn’t answer but his quivering lips and reddening face were answer enough.

“And as one of his final acts didn’t your father sell prime grazing land to Melvin Farmer? The very land that is now being used to grow the vegetables that are bringing him fame and fortune? Leaving you with nothing but a single calf and a few chickens as your inheritance?” Alistair pressed further stopping close to Saul and turning to face him. The colour on Saul’s face deepened from red to a ugly shade of purple, his expression twisting into a grimace.

“It must really burn you” Alistair said softly stepping closer to Saul. “To see the very land that should be your birthright being used by someone else?”

“YES!” Saul burst out in a voice so loud that Alistair stepped back.

Saul turned towards Melvin and pointed a finger vibrating with rage at him. “You and your fancy clothes, and prize vegetables, and.. and educated son.” he hissed, the last three words spit in the direction of Alistair. “And all of it done on land that should be mine! IS mine!”

Melvin stared at Saul in open mouthed shock, his genial features etched with a surprise shared by the rest of the village judging by the rising din of chatter from the back. Men shot glances at Saul while their wives pointed out his unnatural pallour and twisted visage. Saul had apparently kept his animosity towards the Farmers well hidden. The babble threatened to drive the proceedings into chaos until the judge banged his gavel down hard and shouted for order. The barn quieted down until the only sound that remained was Saul’s laboured breathing as he stared with blood shot eyes at Melvin who flinched away from the sight.

“Well, we have motive at least.” The judge said, in a tone that was much more interested then the bored drone he had started the proceedings with. “But it remains true that we have no reason to believe that the plot was vandalised by a cow.”

“Your Honour” Alistair responded drawing back the attention of the judge “Towards that very question I would like to present for the attention of the court the following evidence.” He drew out from his pocket a large squashed turnip. “This was retrieved from my father’s plot, the scene of the crime, not half an hour ago, as soon as I heard of your esteemed presence in our village.”

The judge nodded at Ben who took the exhibit from Alistair and handed it down to the Judge.

“As you can see, your Honour, there is a very large, very clear imprint on the unfortunate turnip that could only be caused by a bovine hoof.” Alistair said and then spun dramatically and pointed at Bessie. “The hoof of that cow.” he proclaimed. Bessie responded to the attention with a placid look at Alistair and continued to peaceably chew her cud.

“That’s a lie!” Saul shouted. “That was never done by Bessie!”

“Order, order” the judge murmured absently as the crowed, excited by the dramatics, started chattering. He was examining the turnip, the clearly defined imprint was definitely that of a cow but of one with a narrow misshapen hoof; in-grown and pestilent. He looked up at Bessie and having been to plenty of market fairs himself could spot a prize cow when he saw one.

“Ben, bring forth the accused.” the judge ordered and the crowd hushed again at this unexpected development. Ben walked to the back glancing at the increasingly wild eyed Saul who looked like he would protest but thought better of it. Ben led the cow from her stall to the front as the crowd parted before the bulk of both of them, pressed to the side but eager to see what would happen next.

Bessie came agreeably, well turned ears idly flicking away flies from her polished horns, her smooth, shiny and well cared for brown and white hide gleaming in the dingy barn. She was obviously used to the attention

Alistair’s wide brow furrowed with concern as the judge handed the turnip to Ben who bent down and tugged on Bessie’s front left leg causing her to daintily raise it for inspection. Ben compared the turnip to Bessie’s hoof and repeated the procedure for the rest of Bessie’s legs. He looked up at the judge and shook his head.

“Mr.Farmer your turnip proves indeed that your father’s plot was destroyed by a cow, but it also proves that it wasn’t Mr.Herd’s” the judge said to Alistair. “As the hoof does not fit. I must acquit. I hereby dismiss the case”. And just as he was bringing the gavel up again over Alistar’s protests and Saul’s disturbing grin of triumph that another commotion started at the back.

“Oh bloody hell, what is it now” the judge said with frustration as the entire barn turned towards the door. The sound of swearing men struggling with some deranged roaring beast was heard. Saul reacted with surprise as Alistair, relieved, rushed to the door and threw it open.

“I was wrong in only one particular your Honour.” he shouted above the din. “The act was carried out not by that cow of Mr Saul’s, but this one.”

And what was dragged in kicking and screaming by five sweaty men, all of whom worked for the Farmers, was a cow out of some nightmare, matted hair, ingrown horns and diseased bleeding hooves, screaming and lowing in a harsh groan that was more akin to screams than moos.

“I had our men search the remaining Herd lands on a lunch your Honour.” Alistair said as he tuned back and strode towards Saul. “Your inheritance wasn’t one calf was it? It was two! You hid one.”.

“Yes!” Saul shouted back at Alistair, gone completely out of his mind at the sight of the second cow. “I raised it in secret, chained in the bog at the end of the river! I raised it to hate as I did, every day I lashed it and made it struggle. And I bided my time. To destroy those who stole my family lands!” and saying this Saul drew out a cruel butcher’s knife from the folds of his filthy coat and advanced on Melvin with an upraised hand. “Vengeance will be mine!”

Melvin shrunk away as Alistair stepped between them. Just as Saul was bringing the knife down on Alistair’s upraised forearm Ben appeared behind him and struck him smartly in the back of the head with a cudgel. Saul sighed and slumped unconscious, all fight driven out of him. The knife bounced away and clattered down the barn floor coming to rest near the deranged cow who brought down a hoof and snapped it into pieces.

“Well” the judge said. “I hereby find Mr. Saul Herd guilty of vandalism and of attempted murder besides. Restitution from Mr.Herd’s assets will be paid to Mr.Farmer and he will be remanded to the King’s guard. Clap him in irons Ben.”

As Ben went to work the Judge had just one more question. “How was it that the second cow was kept hidden? With all the noise that it makes I mean.”

Alistair answered this one as well. “We all thought it was banshees your Honour”.

“Ah.” said the Judge. And that was that.

Cyan

Banned
Hey writing peeps. If you haven't already, take a look at the first post in this topic here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437077

I don't want to alarm anyone (heh), but it's possible this forum is about to undergo a major change in culture and in what's allowed.

It's not clear what effect, if any, this might have on our challenge threads. I think that's a discussion we should initiate with the mods/admins once things have clarified a bit and there's a better understanding of what, exactly, will be changing.

Obviously our fiction can and has contained violence, sex, drugs, strong language, God knows what else. I don't think that fiction is what Google is really aiming at here, but it's hard to say for sure, and the mods can get trigger-happy after this kind of policy change. I'd prefer we didn't get on their wrong side straight off.

That said, I also would really hate for people to change their writing styles because of this (where would we be without Timedog?).

So as a temporary measure while things are shaking out, I would appreciate it if anyone with a (*sigh*) potentially problematic story would use an external host (such as tidypub) to post it, and post the link here as their entry, rather than the usual method of putting the whole text of the story in a post. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with externally hosted, fictional content. This isn't ideal for us, I know (tidypub loses formatting, annoyingly enough), but hopefully it will only be temporary.

Thanks all. Love you guys. *sniff*

Cyan said:
Hey writing peeps. If you haven't already, take a look at the first post in this topic here. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437077

I don't want to alarm anyone (heh), but it's possible this forum is about to undergo a major change in culture and in what's allowed.

It's not clear what effect, if any, this might have on our challenge threads. I think that's a discussion we should initiate with the mods/admins once things have clarified a bit and there's a better understanding of what, exactly, will be changing.

Obviously our fiction can and has contained violence, sex, drugs, strong language, God knows what else. I don't think that fiction is what Google is really aiming at here, but it's hard to say for sure, and the mods can get trigger-happy after this kind of policy change. I'd prefer we didn't get on their wrong side straight off.

That said, I also would really hate for people to change their writing styles because of this (where would we be without Timedog?).

So as a temporary measure while things are shaking out, I would appreciate it if anyone with a (*sigh*) potentially problematic story would use an external host (such as tidypub) to post it, and post the link here as their entry, rather than the usual method of putting the whole text of the story in a post. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with externally hosted, fictional content. This isn't ideal for us, I know (tidypub loses formatting, annoyingly enough), but hopefully it will only be temporary.

Thanks all. Love you guys. *sniff*
I think we should be allowed exemption for the sake of the art, honestly. I need swearing to convey dirtiness in my stories.

Ashes

Banned
You can google search all those things; so google website itself won't adhere to all these things... Google>google.

Cool--just sexually explicit explicit stuff gone. But tidypub is there, of course, if want to pull a ronito of some sort.

Edit: Otherwise, yeah, I totally blew off my optional secondary objective. Totally fictionalized account of something I've heard passing mention. Hopefully, it still reads well in several hours.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Civil Service Strife
(2995 words)

I

Call me John. Not that is matters, names are not important to this story. But it is a true story, at least as I perceived it, and as far as I can remember it. It is not a great adventure. It has neither heroes nor villains. It only has people living the best they know how.

In my country, which shall remain nameless as the scope of the story should not be limited by geography, all the able-bodied men of sound mind are required to endure six to twelve months of gruelling military service at some point between their 18th and 30th year. Those who find this to be an unpleasant prospect may instead opt for 13 months of Civil Service (which in practice translates to unpaid labour), and in the process turn themselves into a national punch-line for truck drivers and patriots, which are aplenty 'round these here parts (Indeed, it is not uncommon to see out-of-shape middle-aged men with T-shirts with slogans such as ‘Stop animal experiments; use Civil Service men instead’). Bearing this in mind, I’m certain it does not surprise the dear reader to learn that your honest and impartial writer chose to enter the armed forces after high school, despite his less than admirable physical prowess, and such a distaste for authority that James Dean himself could have drawn from it for one of his performances, may he rest in peace, that magnificent Rebel.

So it was that in one sweltering July I began my service. It was a whole new world for me, both the comforts and privacy of my childhood home stripped away. Not many people can name offhand the 40 worst days of their life. That’s how long I lasted. In the spirit of honesty and full disclosure I will admit right at the beginning that my attitude was the number one cause of my unpleasant experience, but how could it have been any other way? Anything born out of necessity is bound to be accompanied by bitterness.

The first days were pretty much what one would expect from such blatant disregard for two percent of the GDP. The tour through the garrison gave us a gander at the toys bought with our tax money so grown men could play war. Then we were taken to get our gear whose condition appeared exactly what you would expect in a country that has not seen war since the 1940s. This also included an assault rifle. They told us we were to memorise the serial number, and that we would remember it the rest of our lives. I don’t remember mine. I just called it Bessie Lou. The typical summer uniform was a cap, a forest green T-shirt and camouflage military pants. Instantly I found this to be a displeasing choice of attire. I never wear a T-shirt tucked in my pants: my legs are too long for my body, so it appears as if the leather maw of the belt is slowly swallowing my torso. Whenever I was off duty I would put on a jacket, despite the stifling heat of summer.

I still have not mentioned the most important part of the sojourn: the people. That is because at first I could only think in terms of me, how to avoid service. Barely a morning passed when I wouldn’t go to the nurse’s office, which was found atop a very steep hill which was no joy to climb with the midsummer sun on your back, to get an exemption from service (the people in my dorm would joke that I was going to get another “John’s Special,” an exemption with all the toppings).

I remember the one I call Arthur the best (I do not remember any of their real names). He had a nipple piercing and a severe substance abuse problem. He had all manner of pills (and still took some of my ibuprofen) and was constantly in pain without them. I’m not certain how he got all of them in, and I’m even less certain how he managed to stay alive. But assuming he got his medicine, he was a swell guy, and I often catch myself thinking that under different circumstances we might have become friends.

The other one I remember is Ray, the son of a colonel. He hated me. After all, I did not hide my contempt for the whole institution, and he did not look kindly upon my laziness. He was rather thin, wore glasses and special shoes for his flat feet, and the hair on his posterior was a real jungle.

Other people in our dorm included Hicks, a heavyset fellow with a chlorine allergy and questionable personal hygiene. He was some kind of a carpenter, if memory serves, and he had worked abroad, building timber houses in France. He talked more about the cognac than the work. Under my bunk slept Eve (a male), at first sight a rather unfortunate seeming individual with terrible posture and a fiery temper to match the weather; on one occasion he threw my copy of Moby Dick across the room, causing some of the pages to come loose, and once he showed up drunk after weekend leave, almost being thrown jail. He turned out to be an excellent marksman, a fact that troubles me deeply to this day. There were also Layton and River, two people who keep bumping into each other in the hazy maze of my memory. I do remember that Layton was married and that River thought as little of the army as I did, and was only there because his family would have kicked him out had he chosen Civil Service. With the addition of yours truly, that is the entire population of Dorm Eight, the smallest in the company. We had more empty bunks than men, which made it easy to rest without messing up our carefully made beds.

The first nights in the dorm were quiet, though thanks to the double-punch of heat and nerves I do not think many of us could sleep, excluding of course Hicks, who snored so loudly that adjusting later on to sleeping in silence was difficult. But as time passed those dark scorching nights became the most memorable moments for me. There was no air conditioning in the dorms and the windows could barely be cracked open, so as the sheets were glued to our bodies with sweat we had long talks after the lights went out. What had began as an ovenlike prison slowly transformed into a little private club; I began to feel a real sense of camaraderie. That stuffy dorm was an ideal place to reconcile my curiosity regarding people with my shyness. No one ever brought up the nighttime chats during the day, and everyone could freely speak what was on their mind. You uttered the words that formed a question or a statement, but then they became detached from the speaker, they hung in the air, removed from time, place and body. They ranged from the crude (‘Has anyone ever tasted their own semen?’) to such witless words of wisdom that can only be spoken on such occasions: the nights of youth are full of possibility, atmosphere of colour, candour, and dreams.

Most of the early days were used for menial chores and medical checks. In an auditorium we had to fill a questionnaire about our health, both physical and mental. We had a good laugh from the confusion of some of the slower conscripts regarding the questions (‘Mr. Lieutenant, what is constipation?’). I checked the ‘yes’ box for nearly all the questions just for the hell of it. No one ever cared. After the tests we had to stand in the yard as three forlorn looking fellows hoisted the flag as a boombox blared the national anthem. It was the saddest display I have ever seen.

After they became reasonably convinced everyone was healthy enough not to die on the road the marching drills began. I had my precious exemptions, so I just had to follow with no gear at my own pace with few other such privileged recruits. Ahead of us panted a brave little soldier. He was a roly-poly lad, his plumb cheeks flushed with exertion. At that moment I felt faint pangs of conscience. Compared to him I was an exceptional physical specimen, and to see him struggling with his load made me feel I was the one burdened. But I soon realized that it was not my place to feel sorry for him, but vice versa. Despite his exhaustion he had a look of determination about him. He wanted to do it, to complete the march. He had not gone to the nurse with imaginary ailments.

I have never experienced worse heat than in the back of the trucks that rocked up and down those rough country roads to some lakeside forest where we were to have our first overnight wilderness camp. There I buried mines in the sand. Naturally I did not have to go on the march that took most of the day, so I stayed back at the camp and killed time the best I knew how: by taking a nap. Even when worn my helmet with its soft interior made a comfortable pillow as I lay on my back on the soft ground and dreamt of a world with no kings. When I woke I saw that the leaves up above fluttered in the wind like thousands of green butterflies against the azure backdrop of the clear sky. Of all the images of my days in uniform that is the one that has seared itself on my mind most vividly. That day at bedtime in the tent I felt hope in the night. Without it, who would want to see the dawn?

That would also prove to be my final day in those surroundings. The next morning we left for the garrison, in the saunas of the trucks, and my principles once again surfaced. Very soon would have been the time when all of the conscripts were required to partake in a parade and to take an oath. An oath to kill and die for god and country. From my meagre experience it is easy to find things to die for, but much harder to find things to live for. I went to the commander of the garrison and told him I was done. I never again did see any of the people I met there, but as I had given up before my six months were full, my days in forced service were not yet over.

II

In November of the same year I arrived at the Civil Service Centre in my trusty green Nissan just before midnight. I drove through the town of X, the outskirts of which was the location of the Centre. There has always been something very idyllic to me about small towns in winter, especially at night; the sloping roofs of the buildings covered with layers of powder, the snowflakes dancing in the light of the street lamps and headlights. The gravel road to the Centre itself was lined with thin birch trees on both sides, and I imagined how beautiful it must be in summer. I felt I could have been happy there, under different circumstances, in another lifetime. Regrettably my attitude had not improved, nor had I lost my uncooperative disposition with my uniform.

I came late, so I got one of the last rooms. It was a tiny room with two beds and a table. For a moment I thought I had a private room, but soon another latecomer arrived. He had been in the army as well, a sweaty fellow with his hair dyed black. I know because he caught the suspicious glance I stole at his towel with a big brown spot on it. He rushed to assure me it was dye.

The very next day we had to choose between four different orientations for our training: Rescue, Violence Prevention, Civil Responsibilities, and Cultural and Environmental Protection. I picked the Civil Responsibilities because it sounded the most theoretical, ergo least work. We were split into groups and each one had to do a presentation on a political ideology. My group got Veganism. I was not aware it was a political ideology. My contribution was bringing a CD with Meat is Murder on it. All I remember about the other presentations is a Christian who sat behind me and scoffed with disgust when Evolution came up, another presentation that made me question my understanding of the word ‘political’. But what I remember most vividly is a voice. It belonged to a rather inconspicuous looking fellow, too inconspicuous if you ask me. He was the sort who always spoke out when an opportunity presented itself, and he walked and talked with lively gestures. He would end his tirades with phrases like ‘These are the matters me must consider’. But what was troubling was not what he said, but how he said it. He spoke with the mechanical monotone of a computer voice software with formal pronunciation. The thing is, my beloved native tongue has a very large gap between the informal and formal modes of speech: I have never before or since heard anyone speak the formal version of my language with such perfection; even politicians and priests use the informal one, the formal existing only in writing. Incredulous murmur filled the room whenever this fellow spoke.

While I had my suspicions about this character, I decided to put it out of mind after the classes and go back to my stuffy room. I found my roommate on his bed texting furiously, and without being asked he told me everything: he was texting with his girlfriend, with whom he had just moved in, and he told me of their new apartment and the brand new drawers in their kitchen. He wanted to tell her something romantic, and asked me to think of something. I wasn’t sure was he serious, so I gave him the first cliché I could think of. He asked me how to spell ‘universe’. He was bilingual, as many people here are, so it’s understandable that he would ask how to spell in his weaker language, but I suddenly thought of the poor guy I had laughed at who asked the silly questions from the lieutenant; was he bilingual as well? Had he had a hint of an accent?

Later, in the middle of the night, my roommate asked me was I awake, and being honest and stupid I admitted as much, and before I knew it we were in my car in search for an all-night diner. Scraping frost from the windshield at 2 o’clock in the morning in November is a bone numbing experience, but he did say something interesting. He asked me had I heard of a guy who moves strange and talks even stranger. I confirmed that the man in question indeed spoke like a robot. We said no more of it.

The next day, after some more classes that are not even a blur in my brain, my roommate and I went to the lounge where we gathered to alleviate the boredom by watching reruns of The Simpsons and wasting our meagre daily allowance on overpriced chips and coffee. My roommate and I played a game of chess (I lost) and shot some pool (I lost). I also met a guy who had brought his Wii, and had modded it to play all manner of games. I don’t know how he did it, and it certainly wasn’t legal, but he was playing Super Metroid so I gave him a pass for good taste. A bearded fellow from my Vegan group was practising his juggling, and it turned out he was a professional and went to school for it and everything. I did not know such places existed. After my roommate took part in besieging the TV I went to the ancient computers in one corner. Only when Homer was on were any of them unoccupied. Soon the machine next to me was taken by the one I call Monotone. He sniffed furiously and visited some kind of conspiracy websites that looked like they were made in the 90s on GeoCities and were plastered all over with the face of the grey alien. I was more than concerned.

I had to leave, however, because I had my doctor check-up that night. She asked me how I was feeling, and I told her. She told me I don’t belong there, and asked me do I want to go home. Instinctively I said yes, and she wrote me a release from service. I should have been happy, but I felt strangely empty as I went to my room: I was too tired to drive home at night. The longer I’ve been out of service, the more some part of me feels I missed some fleeting opportunity.

Now, years later, when I’m lying in bed and trying to fall asleep I sometimes laugh without knowing why, and then I think about the nocturnal chats of Dorm Eight at my old garrison, and I wonder what happened to all the people I met during those months that at the time felt so unbearable. I never did stay in contact with any of them, and do not even remember their names. I feel I visited some distant world and left before I could wholly understand it, and now I'm left with only questions. Did my temporary roommate make it with his girl and their new drawers? Did Arthur ever O.D. on his pills? Did that guy from the lounge finish Super Metroid? Did the Juggler actually succeed, and is there really a school? And most importantly, was Monotone actually human?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I admit I'm not even entirely clear on what "creative non-fiction" is, but I took it to mean a highly subjective take on something that happened. My first idea was writing an extremely subjective story of the Nadal-Djokovic Wimbledon Final, arguing that Djokovic ruined for everyone the glory of Nadal/Federer, and that this new world is a slightly colder place with that twat as the champ. But then I realized I know nothing about Tennis, or sports in general, so I gave up.

Anyway, I sort of enjoyed writing that, but I'm not sure does it work. I like some bits of it, but I feel it doesn't work as a coherent whole. Could have used more words (or perhaps much less) and more time. I also think the first part is much better, so if someone is not enjoying that one, it won't be improving. One thing is abundantly clear, however:
I am not an interesting person

Azriell

This is pretty cool. I haven't seen one of these threads before, although I admit somewhat shamefully that, until recently, I didn't visit OT very much. I think I'll participate next time, and enjoy reading submissions this time.

Ashes

Banned
John Dunbar said:
One thing is abundantly clear, however:
I am not an interesting person

On this matter, it is not for you to judge. So as a judge of your work, biased as it maybe, in that I am somewhat familiar with your stories, I think you are a very interesting author.

I hereby curse you, if having said the above, the story you wrote this week, ends up being boring trite. I don't know how to place a curse. So I will specifically learn how to strike people with curses across the internet, with the sole purpose of cursing you. < Fact: Somebody actually said this to me once. Replace writing stories with playing football. And the internet with... whatever...

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Azriell said:
This is pretty cool. I haven't seen one of these threads before, although I admit somewhat shamefully that, until recently, I didn't visit OT very much. I think I'll participate next time, and enjoy reading submissions this time.

but this is a local thread... for local people...

Nah, welcome dude. Hope to see something from you soon. And we do not expect quality 'round these here parts.

Ashes1396 said:
On this matter, it is not for you to judge. So as a judge of your work, biased as it maybe, in that I am somewhat familiar with your stories, I think you are a very interesting author.

I hereby curse you, if having said the above, the story you wrote this week, ends up being boring trite. I don't know how to place a curse. So I will specifically learn how to strike people with curses across the internet, with the sole purpose of cursing you. < Fact: Somebody actually said this to me once. Replace writing stories with playing football. And the internet with... whatever...

It is settled: I shall abadon writing and start following Sumo Wrestling.

Also, I have never written non-fiction before (creative or otherwise), so adjust your expectations accordingly.

The Oracle (2326 words)

The people had scorned her that day, throwing insults at first and then later rocks until she retreated to the safety of the caves. She stared at the visage of disarray that greeted her in the polished bronze mirror hanging from the wall of her chambers. Her hair was strewn about her head and she was bleeding from a gash above her ear. Washing the cut she was relived to find it shallow enough, but winced all the same as she rubbed in a ground mix of moss and root that would stave off infection.

In the centre chamber she found the statue staring at her with those pale stone eyes. They were icy and blue and always seemed to be staring off at some unknown distance. She felt anger as she knelt. Countless times she'd gone to her knees beneath the statue and prayed for the songs that would help the people. Her whole life from the age of five had been devoted to this purpose, yet this is the thanks she received? She wondered if the people would have treated Mother Septan with the same hate and disdain if she had come singing songs of doom. But the kindly, half-blind old woman had gone to the grave a year past and now she alone was left to share the statue's burden.

Brooding on the matter wouldn't help she supposed, and it wouldn't do to think too harshly of the villagers. They were perfectly happy to hear songs of fair weather and plentiful harvests, but had no taste for the future when it turned rotten and sour. "Fickle, fair-weather children" Mother Septan had called them once. Still, it hurt to see those she cared for turn on her so. To see faces of those she'd treated when injured or sick, of those whose children she'd brought squalling into the world, now twisted and contorted in hate and rage.

She tried to calm herself, but for whatever reason tonight the statue would not sing, when last night it had been all too keen to give her songs that spoke of death and doom. She rose stiffly and regarded the impassive stone face, wondering whether her visage was carved from that of some local girl, or a general universal idea of what the goddess should look like. Alone she went about her nightly routine of dousing the hearth fire that sat behind the dais at the back of the cave, snuffing the numerous candles that rose from rough sconces carved into the stone and lifting the heavy wooden bar into place behind the cave door before retreating to the warmth of her chambers and the soft, luxuriant fur bed within.

The next day passed, as many others did, without note. She didn't venture down into the village after yesterdays altercation, but had a few visitors nonetheless. First was Wylla, the miller's wife, who came under the pretence of a back ache, but was really there to check up on her. She was a kindly woman and always had made a of point of keeping an eye out since Mother Septan passed. Next came Old Alard the butcher, a giant of a man, all bushy beard and good hearted bluster. He had brought her a pair of freshly killed rabbits and a generous supply of salted beef, but when she reminded him that the doom would be upon them before she have a chance to eat it all he just laughed.

"Let it come, I'll turn the darkness with the edge of my cleaver's blade!" he boasted, and she smiled at that. He was a good man, and gentle for all his size and strength.

"It's not the darkness you should fear, but the light." she said to herself as she watched him make his way back toward the village.

The final visitor was Sal, as she knew it would be. He was young, all swagger and good looks, but while many his age where sowing seed in the fields and sons in their wives bellies, he had taken up the life of a sell-sword, much to his fathers chagrin. Yet he wasn't of a violent nature, his skill at arms was equally matched by his love of books and nature and learning. She enjoyed his company, and found his obvious infatuation with her amusing.

"I heard what happened yesterday. Those ungrateful sots and whores are lucky I hadn't been there, else I would've taught them a lesson in manners." he spat.

"Is it true then, what you saw?" he asked after a while.

"It is. The doom is coming, and there is naught to be done. It can't be stopped, it can't be fought. It's as certain as the sun is to rise tomorrow, although it shall be for the last time."

"What will you do?"

"What have I always done?" she replied, "I will watch, and I will sing."

He kissed her then, bold and unexpected, and she made no move to stop him. His breath was fresh and smelt of summer and she forgot her worries as their arms enveloped each other. She had always kept herself just out of his reach, he had deserved a loving wife who could provide him with plenty of strong, healthy sons, not a song singer devoted only to her god. But that hardly mattered now she thought as she led him through the caves to her chambers.

She woke to find him gone, but only as far as the cave entrance. The smell assailed her almost immediately, the air thick with smoke. Silently, they made their way down the path to the village and saw half the buildings ablaze. They rushed up the main street and saw a chain of people valiantly trying to put out the fire threatening to consume the inn. Sal went to help them while many of the watchers spared a frightened glance in her direction. The miller in particular, who made his way straight for her, an accusing finger pointed at her head like the tip of a sword.

"This is your doing, it is!" he shouted as the fires blazed. "You and your blasted prophecies! Now half the bloody town's in ruin!"

Wylla came rushing to her husbands side and yanked him away with an apologetic look in her direction. "You leave her alone, you hear? She's not to blame for the stupidity of others.".

Once the fire was out, Sal explained what had happened. Some villagers fearing the impending doom had decided to run, but not before taking their fill of their neighbours goods and leaving fires in their wake. She could have rung their necks she was so angry, and even the miller looked taken aback by her fury. But there was no use in anger she told herself, quenching the fire in her belly with a single breath before calmly ordering the now idle bucket crew to man search parties to look for any who might be wounded.

An hour later and the search was done. Two dead in total, the old Mallister couple, with more than two hundred years between them, burned alive when the thatch of their cottage caught the fire. Many more were wounded by burns, although thankfully none of them so serious. Wylla had volunteered her house as a makeshift hospital and they'd done the best they could treating the injured, but it seemed so futile. Come nightfall all this would be gone.

She spent the day visiting the people that remained to her. She spoke with Alard and his wife as they went about putting fresh cuts of meat out on display, and Benfred the baker as he passed with a tray of hot sticky buns. She spoke to loud old Widow Henset who didn't seem all that bothered at the prospect of the world ending.

"Doom is it? Well, I've had a good run" she grinned "but it's you I feel sorry for girl, you've hardly lived. You want to bed that roguish young boy that's always following at your tail while there's still a world left." the old woman cackled mischievously and she allowed herself a smile to the night she and Sal had spent in the caves.

Sarah, Jorge the huntsman's young wife, asked her tearfully if there wasn't anything they might do, a brace of wide-eyed children clutching at her skirts.

"There is aught left to do but pray, and stay strong for the little ones. This world may be passing, but we will all be reborn in the next." she replied.

And with that, the time left was all hers. She walked the fields and woods she had called home, revelling in the beauty and peacefulness one last time before climbing the weathered old mountainside path to her caves. There she gathered her things. Her candles, her silks, the sceptre and mask of her office, two ornately carved pieces of wood, painted in a hundred hues of blue and lacquered so that the colours seemed to shimmer in the dwindling light. She thought of Mother Septan then and how fearsome she'd looked while under the mask, her deep voice intoning the songs of prophecy as the fire licked around her, as if the goddess herself had come to life. She smiled at that and then went to see the statue for the final time.

It stood there as impassive as ever, staring off at that far away horizon. The cold blue eyes didn't weep for the impending death of her children, but then she supposed that the goddess had probably cried all her tears when she first foresaw the doom, the day the world was created. Warily, she placed a hand on the statues brow. The songs hadn't come to her last night, but perhaps they would today. Perhaps they would leave some comfort for her people, some idea of what she was going to say when the spectre of death loomed on high.

As she was about to remove her hand she heard it. The faintest hum of a melody. A small, simple thing, but bright, and beautiful and singing of a carefree summer joy. She held the melody in her heart, daring not to yet bring it to her lips, before donning the heavy wooden mask, taking up her bundle of candles and silks and striding forth from the caves with the sturdy sceptre in hand.

She draped the silks across the ground at the peak of the cliff, the half-burned town of her birth smouldering behind her in the failing light. With stone candlesticks she weighted the silks at the corners before setting herself down and lighting the candles. Her sceptre she placed in front of her. Closing her eyes, she waited to see what the sunset would bring.
Before long, she opened her eyes and found that she had company. There was Sal, standing a few feet away, his beautiful blue eyes regarding the waves and the horizon beyond.

"Not long now, I presume." he said.

"The song spoke of a final sunset. Any time now." she wanted to go to him, to hold him tightly against whatever the night would bring, but she had a song to sing. She just awaited an audience.

And as the sun's bottom pierced through the waves she heard them coming. Streaming from their homes, those who remained, her brave, scared, quarrelsome, kindly people, carrying torches up the hill, to the cliff side to hear her song and watch the doom roll in.

They waited as the sun slowly descended, man, woman or child not daring to utter a single word. Once the final glimpse of the sun fell below the horizon, night well and truly took hold. The people looked about uncertainly until they noticed it, there, where the sun had dipped for the final time. A brilliant pin point of light, expanding outwards. It seemed to draw everything into it, a white flame that arced forwards, dispelling not just the darkness of the night, but the very stuff of the land itself where it passed.

It was a wall of white hot light, deeper than any shadow, and she sensed that from it's glare nothing passed. It was all consuming and would soon be upon them. The villagers sensed it to, quailing in dismay and fear. Some broke to run, as if they could somehow run fast enough to spare themselves from this final tide. She brought the statue's final melody to the forefront of her mind and made ready to sing for the last time.

She parted her lips and let the tune flow forth. There were no words to this song, for there was nothing left to tell. It was a song of life, a song that told a tale every man and woman knew, that spoke to each in person, and the group at whole. It was a calming tide, one so great it matched the oncoming wall of oblivion. And when the song was done, the people stood side by side, as one, and felt no fear as the tide washed over them. She reached for Sal's hand and he was there, kissing her lightly on the brow as the world turned ultimately to white.

And in the bleak ashen swathe of nothingness that had been the world, silence reigned. For the first time since time had existed, there was silence. But beyond the silence, there was more. A sound. Insubstantial and impossible to grasp, outside of the very fabric of the universe itself. A whirring sound, an electric, mechanical sound that spoke of a room, full of black boxes that hummed and sang their own tunes. Each it's own little world, and one with a square piece of yellow paper affixed to it's side;

"Unit no longer taking instruction, so I set it to format overnight, should be clean & ready for your team's fresh sim by the time you're reading this - Adam."

Tangent

ZephyrFate said:
Note: This is a side story tied to my first novel (due out in August on your Kindles!), so it is intentionally enigmatic for now.

Suh-weet! Congrats! I'll look out for it.

“Housemates” (1900 words)

We were not just friends, and not just brothers, but we were also best friends. We came from a litter of Harley rats, the curly-haired kind coveted by breeders. But our genes didn’t show up phenotypically. Fortunately, we were adopted by non-breeders, which really is the best. My poor curly-haired siblings…

http://i.imgur.com/vBPoJ.png

Other than one of my brothers, Grizzly. He was not poor. He was adopted alongside me – by two pet guardians unconcerned with curly hair – and lived his life as an acrobat. He could jump from a laundry basket to a toothbrush holder. He could hop up the stairs and climb up to sit on a human’s lap. He could walk across drawstrings and hide behind pillows right when play time was over. We slept together, ate together (well sort of…I sometimes ate his food), and played together.

But throughout his entire life, he was a little snorkley, and even the vet warned, “Antibiotics only have a 50-50 chance with them. He might just be a little snorkley for his own life.” Fortunately, that didn’t stop him for living the good life. In fact, I was delighted that his congestion decreased his appetite. He took about five minutes to eat half a peanut. What did that mean? More for me, of course.

But as I grew plumper, he grew skinnier. By the time we were old men, we had lived a full life. In our own language at frequencies too high for humans to hear, we reminisced about the past: how we spelunked through paper caves, survived middle ear infections, determined what kind of wood bordered the walls, and explored grassy fields outside. We practiced pull-ups, ate homework (literally), learned pointless tricks thought up by humans, rolled out entire rolls of toilet paper to construct white castles, wrestled through passages we paved through towels and blankets, chewed through humans’ favorite shirts spilling out of laundry baskets, and slept in the laps of humans watching movies. Good times. There was more time for Grizzly and I talk about these past memories, because as we entered our golden years, we sat around more.

http://i.imgur.com/fR6Fr.jpg

And one day, after the humans finished watching the first “Kung Fu Panda,” (or as kids with premature speech say, “Gung Bu Banda”) they heard my brother’s breathing pattern sound different than his usual “awake-snore.” It was higher pitched, more grating, and much more belabored.

Then, everything happened so quickly – in a blur. Grizzly was pulled out of our rat townhouse. (Yeah that’s right! We lived in our own townhouse!) He was fed milk through a syringe. No dignified rat puts up with that without a fight, but Grizzly was like putty. Not good. His breathing slowed more and it became even more belabored. He rested against his human’s belly on his lap.

“I’ll go call the vet,” the other human called. And she ran up the stairs. But the other human called her back down. There was simply no time for the vet. Grizzly was deteriorating fast, and he held out only so that he could be with his humans in his final moments. And, apparently me.

“Hey! What’s going on?” I hollered. But the humans didn’t hear me. Fortunately, they saw my eager look and let me out too. I sat next to Grizzly. He wasn’t really moving but then choked for a moment and grasped for his human’s hand. Then his breaths slowed to every few seconds.

And then he had his last.

“I think that’s it,” said one human. And his tears dripped off his face onto Grizzly’s fur. I, myself, was quite confused. Death? I am nowhere near it. I had no idea what Grizzly was going through and I wanted to know what all the commotion was about. But of course, the humans didn’t answer my questions with their deaf ears and all.

“Wait, I think I still feel a heartbeat,” one human said. And to no avail and without a valid CPR card, one human tried to resuscitate the little guy. Man, Grizzly was small. He sure lost a lot of weight in the past few days. Resuscitation didn’t work: the human didn’t feel a heartbeat. It was only postmortem muscle spasms.

“It’s no use. It’s over,” said one.

“Rest in peace, Grizzly,” the other human said. The two humans were crying and I was so focused on trying to understand these humans’ sadness and get at least a word out of them, that I didn’t really notice the actual source of their sadness: my brother. I scrambled for some sign of communication from the humans. And it was my efforts that created all the confusion.

“Hey, Turbo doesn’t seem to get it. He seems really restless and confused,” one falsely observed.

“Well, I wonder if we should leave him be. He seems distracted by us,” said the other, putting me back in my town house. Crap.

“Yeah, let’s put Grizzly’s body in the town house for a bit so Turbo can sniff around and figure out what happened.”

One hand reached in. “Yes! Open the door! We need to talk!” I thought. I pleaded for their attention, and again, didn’t really notice my brother’s body placed next to me.

In hindsight, I think I just didn’t want to deal with it. I loved Grizzly more than life itself. We did everything together. How would I handle this? I was like Pi from Life of Pi. Reality was just too much for me at that moment. I needed a story, another story than the one that was playing out.

“Well, it seems like Turbo is still distracted,” said one. This one human pulled out Grizzly’s body – as I saw in the corner of my eye. The two humans discussed what to do. It was decided he would be cremated the following morning, and he was placed in the freezer over night. What do we feel after we die? Was Grizzly cold? At all?

The following morning, the humans still noticed my restlessness, which is out of the ordinary for the chill cuddle bug that, I admit, I usually am. But still, they didn’t hear a word I said, even though I had rattled off so many questions. Forget it. I went inside an empty oatmeal container in my townhouse and took a nap.

During this nap, my babysitter from my youth came over! I woke up to her voice and she took me out and said some condolences. I was still hungry for answers, and therefore, restless. They made a toast to Grizzly over dinner, but soon became distracted by my wiggles, and I was put back into the townhouse to “chill out.”

That night, I was given a large stuffed animal. It was black, and soft, and it smelled like one of the humans, and therefore, a bit like Grizzly too. After all, everyone in the family shares their smells. I slept next to this stuffed black sock all night, even though I’m nocturnal.

The morning light work me up and I felt like a wild and crazy prisoner finally resigned to submission. I no longer was wiggly, but I didn’t feel like being the usual jolly fur ball of cuddles, either. I was just numb. The humans went to work anyway. And I just dilly-dallied around my house, and cleaned up a little bit, and marked some dry corners. My house felt big. And empty.

It was the evening that came to me by total surprise. I was taken out and to my shock, covered in vanilla and therefore unable to smell – and therefore recognize – myself. I was placed in a large white room, or, a bathtub, with several soft towels. And low and behold, these humans brought three young lads to the white room as well. At first, I wondered if they were womenfolk! Yowza! You see, not only was I unable to smell myself, but the identity of these little ones were also clouded. Everything was vanilla, vanilla, vanilla. But I got a whiff of their boyish pheromones. Finally. Boys. Confirmed. Three boy rats sent from up above. Literally from up above, because the humans knelt down from their soaring standing position, to drop the children in the white room.

I didn’t know what to make of these little guys. In comparison to them, I looked like a large bear, or even a dinosaur. But I was gentle with them, because, after all, they were just children. Next, all four of us were put into my town house! I had house guests! I tried to show them around but they were so rambunctious that they climbed upside down and wrestled at the drop of a hat. I tried to track them but quickly grew tired of their boundless energy. And nervous.

What was going on, after all? These little rats didn’t tell me they’d come by. And they all seemed to know each other. I wondered if they liked my house and what I did with it. I placed stashes of food in strategic, aesthetic ways but they didn’t notice my Feng Shui expertise. I wondered if they’d spend the night, and if I could still sleep next to my black sock that reminded me of my Grizzly. Did they even know Grizzly? No. It was frustrating to me that they didn’t know my dear brother. And here they were, frolicking around without a care. I didn’t know what happened to Grizzly, the humans weren’t responding, and now, I didn’t know if Grizzly had come back to Earth in younger forms, or if I was going to be replaced too. My anxiety grew, which, as I mentioned, is not a normal feeling for me.

The humans were done playing with us and they went to bed. Those silly hairless giants. They miss the best part of the day! But the night proved to be a worthy use of time: I conjured up the effort and energy to get to know my new roommates, these little rascals. And actually, I grew quite fond of them. What can I say? I’m a people-person, or a ratty-rat. I let them climb on my back and slide down. I pretended that they pinned me with my belly up.

“Oh no! You got me!” I said. They giggled so hard that they collapsed too. In their fits of giggles, I chased them around, and then let them chase me. I hugged them, kissed them, and shared my smells with them.

I caught my breath. “So, what are your guys’ names? Simon, Alvin, and Theodore?” I cracked myself up. “Humans always make cheesy choices like that.”

“We don’t have names yet,” they said, slightly more seriously. Oh wait, that wasn’t seriousness. That was them getting sleepy and hungry at the same time. They lapped up kitten formula and instantly piled on top of each other and fell asleep. I slept next to them to guard the entrance to the tissue box they rested in, and also to provide extra warmth.

I was a brother, a brother to Grizzly, and always will be. I am a caretaker of human beings and always will be. I am an interior decorator, and will keep it up as long as I can. And now, I am a surrogate grandfather to three baby boys.

“Sweet dreams, kids,” I whispered, and fell in to a restful slumber after three full days.

http://i.imgur.com/tHXhg.png

http://i.imgur.com/fzUt5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/31tzX.png

Puddles

Banned
This isn't quite what I wanted to write, but, as usual, I left it until the last day. Based loosely on true events.

Reunion

It’s been so long since I’ve seen any of these people. We’re sitting around the sofas in Mark’s apartment, bags strewn across the floor amongst cases of beer, bottles of wine open on the table, drinking, smoking, trying to convince our bodies to feel eighteen again.

When you first see someone you haven’t seen in a few years, the first thing that strikes you is how much older they are than the image of them you carry in your head. At once your eyes dart around, taking in the new wrinkles, sags that weren’t there before, a hairline that may have started to recede. And then suddenly that older them becomes the mental image, and all you can do when you look at the old photos is think how impossibly young they look there.

“Damn, J, it still trips me out to see you here,” Mark says. “How was your trip, man? I saw some of your photos on facebook; you went everywhere!”

I learned long ago that nobody wants to hear a nuanced answer here. Nobody wants to hear about each country and city on a six month trip that circled the globe. Other travelers didn’t even want to hear about a three month trip back when I was halfway into it. I learned long ago just to tell them that it was awesome, that I learned a lot, saw a lot of cool places, had a lot of fun.

“What were your favorite countries?”

I pause for a moment. “Croatia definitely. Vietnam… Turkey maybe?”

“How were the girls in Vietnam?” Ben asks. “There’s this hot Vietnamese chick at my job.
Been trying to bang her for awhile.”

“Well it’s hard to say. Most of them get married really young over there.” And they’re worn out by shopkeeping or other manual labor by the time they’re thirty. The ones who actually approach you on the street are probably prostitutes. And they’re poor. So much poorer than any of you. How hot can a girl be when she cooks in grease all day and she’s wearing what are basically rags? You have so much, you spoiled bastard.

“Well it’s good to have you back, man; here, hit this.” Mark has the hit ready for me. The bong looks like some kind of test tube used to hold a captured ghost. I suck it all in. I hold back the first cough, but not the second. My body definitely isn’t eighteen anymore. One hit sends my mind reeling; at once I’m both distanced from the world and yet so much more aware of everything around me. There’s still smoke in the bong, drifting up over the ice cubes as though some little ice dragon was living down there at the bottom. I can’t not take that, can I? The old J never would. These guys want to see the old J. We all want to feel like we did back then; that’s the point of this reunion. I suck in the last of the smoke.

“Just tell me you’re not going back to Korea again,” Gus says.

“Of that,” I cough, “I can assure you.” I’m talking like a fantasy character again. Need to cut that out. Talk normal. “It was a good time, and I saved a lot of money, but I think this time I’m back here for good.” Until the economy sends you scurrying back there like it did last time. Fuck, I need to find a job soon.

“Shit man,” Ben says, “Can you believe it’s been nine years since we met at UCSB?” You couldn’t tell by looking at Ben. He looks younger and fitter than he has in years. It’s hard to believe he was ever a chubby, perpetually-baked freshman.

“Not until September,” I say, coughing again. There you go again, always trying to deny time. What are you afraid of?

“Orientation was nine years ago though,” Hobbes says. “Almost exactly.”

“God, that feels like forever ago,” Gus says. He perhaps has aged the most out of any of us. His hairline is back at least an inch from a few years ago, and crows-feet are forming around his eyes. He looks like one of those old guys we used to see at concerts, one of the guys we’d try to convince to buy beers for us. I’ve known him longer than anyone. We came up to UCSB together out of high school, two friends with years of memories already behind us, both of us eager to make new ones.

“It feels like yesterday,” I say. “I still remember driving up from the desert and seeing the ocean right in front of me. The sun was shining, and the water was so blue and sparkling. It felt like the start of some great adventure.”

“Well it was a crazy four years,” Mark says, raising his glass. We all drink, as we did so many times back in those dorms.

“Didn’t you hook up with some chick at your orientation?” Hobbes looks over at me. “Wasn’t she your first?”

I look at Gus. He doesn’t say anything. “Yeah, Jennifer,” I say. “Met her on the Creative Studies walking tour. God, she was amazing. She had this beautiful red hair, amazing body, gorgeous green eyes…” She was more beautiful than that. Try as you might, you could never hope to describe just how she looked to you in that moment, just what her smile did to you.

“You have a thing for redheads, don’t you?” Ben says. “As far back as I’ve known you, I remember you always going for them.”

“I definitely did then. I think it was because Spiderman had just come out.”

We all laugh. Mark’s wife Sarah clears away some of the wine bottles. She was our designated driver for the afternoon bar-hop, and she seems to have taken up the duty of maid for the evening. And nanny most likely, if some of these guys keep chugging beers like that. She’s more beautiful than the girls any of us have dated these last few years. Mark did well for himself. Six figures, a house and a wife. How long will it be before I have any of that?

Later, in the evening, Gus comes outside with me for a smoke. I really shouldn’t be smoking this. I was talking recently about wanting to run another marathon. Well, one won’t kill me. I can quit after this weekend.

“You’re still going with that story, huh?” Gus lights up his cigarette.

“I wouldn’t have if Hobbes hadn’t brought it up.”

“It’s cool, bro,” Gus says. "A little sleazy, saying you fucked some girl you didn't, but whatever."

“Her name wasn't even Jennifer." It's not sleazy if no one knows the girl you're talking about, and it's not even her name, is it? "It’s a nice story, that girl from Creative Studies being my first. She really was that beautiful. And I did kinda love her, in that eighteen year old love sorta way.”

“Only you didn’t fuck her,” Gus says. “You couldn’t have, because I know who your first really was. I was there the night it happened.”

“Everyone knows I fucked Heather, but only you know that I was a virgin before her. I can’t tell anyone that. Losing my virginity to Heather? The girl who fucked every one of Jason Kirby’s roommates? The girl who used to stagger out into the middle of a party naked?”

“And pass out naked on John’s couch and masturbate,” Gus laughs.

“She pissed on that couch one time,” I remind him.

“So when people asked you about your first time, you made up some story about how you wish it had really happened."

Yes, what you wish had happened. What you thought it would be when you got that letter of acceptance in your mailbox. The dream of freedom and adventure and a new world that was there for your taking. And it was there; all of it was there for you, but you didn't take any of it.

"What actually happened with Jennifer? Or whatever her name was?” Gus asks a moment later.

“To tell you the truth, nothing,” I say. “I had an opportunity, but I didn’t know what to do back then. We were sitting out on Campus Point after all the tours were done and the parents had gone back to their hotels. I could have kissed her then. I always look back and wish I had. After that we just drifted apart. Her dorm was on the opposite end of campus from us, and I could never find the time to hang out with her.”

“Forget it bro, there’ve been plenty of girls since her.”

“There have,” I look out into the sunset. Enough girls, yes. Enough countries, enough experiences, and yet what is this yearning? Is this the life we had hoped for? Are these the adventures we dreamed of? We’re still so young, but why does it feel like everything good is behind us? I set up my dorm and walked out onto that campus feeling like a new world was dawning. Nine years later, why does it feel like I’m still searching for the same thing I was searching for then? I still find myself wondering what might be different if only I had succeeded with that girl with the red hair.

Inside, they’ve cracked open the hard liquor, and I know I need to get back in there. Back to my friends, back to this shadow world and the shades of who we once were. One more day and even this will be gone. We’ll make the long drive, most of us going south together as far as Santa Barbara before splitting up. Back to the city. Back to resumes, back to craigslist job postings, back to interviews with 30 year old female temp agents who tell me I’m not qualified for jobs I could do in my sleep. It was simpler once. So simple for all of us.

I take one last drag of my cigarette. Even my hands look older. Time hasn’t stopped for any of them, and it won’t stop for me. The past is gone. This is the world I live in, the world I’ve created. And I am lucky. There’s a vast world out there. I’ve seen much of it already, and there’s still so much more to be seen. One step at a time. Just get through the rest of this weekend.

DumbNameD

The Finger (~1630 words)

"Get that fucker! Git tha' fuck-arrh!"

When Ford walked into his boss' office, spit dangled from Mr. Bayer's lips. Bayer cackled. His face pulsed red. As he tried to catch a breath, he wiped his mouth with his right hand and, in turn, wiped his right hand against the underside of his desk, impressive both in how big it sat and how empty the top looked. A video filled the entire wall of the office and showed a man with a pistol being tackled with enough force to expel the contents of the man's stomach. At the video wall, Bayer pointed his left middle finger, a light blinked at the fingertip, and the video rewound. Bayer sunk back into his chair and watched intently with a pinched brow and a sneering grin across his chiseled face. The gun popped three times. Red spritzed into the air around the victim. Bayer waggled his middle finger in the air. The video paused.

Bayer turned to Ford and gave a brilliant smile before waving Ford over. "Here's my favorite part," said Bayer. His middle finger sent the video back into motion. "Get that fucker!" From out of the frame, a burly man charged and took down the gunman with a thump. Vomit blurted from the gunman's mouth. Bayer cackled at the sight and clapped his hands, like a child watching cartoons. Bayer stopped the video and rewound to a point just before the tackle. The video played again. And like a symphony conductor with a middle finger as a baton, he directed the video to play that part over and over again.

"Yeah, we got that fucker," said Bayer.

"Mr. Bayer, sir," said Ford. "We have an appointment."

"Right. Have a seat, Ford."

Ford scanned the office. There wasn't another chair.

"Find a chair," said Bayer. He laughed. "That's funny, isn't it?"

Ford was the guy who could get things. At least, for the GoCorp community of Libertysville. He made sure people got what GoCorp wanted them to get at the local GoMart. But there was one thing he wanted that he couldn't get. Ford wanted the finger. He wanted GoCorp to acknowledge his worth and to hollow out his middle finger and replace the innards with circuits and a GoCorp executive control chip. However, to get that, he needed to be promoted. And while Ford had a promising start to his life in the ranks of GoCorp, he lingered in middle management in the logistics division for almost a decade. Although Ford was seven years older than his boss, Bayer had rocketed up the ladder and had gotten the finger already. It was probably the smile. Bayer had a winning smile.

"Is this seat taken, Ms. McDonalds?" asked Ford, outside of the office to Bayer's assistant. "May I?" He pointed toward the office door.

From her seat, she looked up to him as if she had just woken up. "Go ahead," she said, smiling.

Another winning smile, thought Ford. He had chatted with her a few times and was working up to an eventual flirt. He nodded to acknowledge her though she had turned back to her computer screen. As Ford lifted the chair, he stifled a grunt. He had gained a few pounds around his midsection and didn't compare well to Bayer's physique.

"Check this," said Bayer. "Oh, wait, let me pull up another angle." He circled his middle finger around and the video screen swapped to a different camera angle. The screen stayed on the face of the man who tackled the gunman.

Ford set the chair down.

"Look, look," said Bayer.

Ford stood and stared at the video on the wall.

"See, this guy," said Bayer.

"The Public Service agent?" asked Ford.

"Uh-huh," replied Bayer. "You know him?"

Ford squinted and tried to identify the man. He half-shrugged.

"You watch American Combatants, right?" said Bayer.

"I, uh—" began Ford.

"It's on GoTV," said Bayer.

Ford knew Bayer meant that if something was on GoTV, then he should be watching it.

"When I have the time," said Ford.

"You should make the time," said Bayer. "Well, this guy, this hero who tackled the gunman, I knew I knew him. He's an American Combatant."

"Which one?" asked Ford. He knew enough about the game show in that it pitted a contestant against an American Combatant for cash and wonderful prizes. Maiming was allowed.

"C. Cola," said Bayer.

"A tragedy what happened," said Ford.

"You heard about how Nike broke his neck on the show?"

Ford shook his head and pointed to the screen. "No, I meant the shooting," he said.

Bayer scoffed. "A protestor," said Bayer. He pretended to wring an imaginary neck in his clutched hands. "How does rabble like that even get that close to a senator? And the GoCorp senator at that! He was representing us, man. Just doing his civic duty for all of us at GoCorp."

"Have you heard who will replace the senator?"

Bayer shook his head. "The board's gonna pick a new guy for the GoCorp senate seat," he said. "Ha! Senator Bayer. What do you think?"

"Are you up for the seat?" asked Ford.

Bayer laughed. "Someday, maybe someday," he said. "Sit." He waved his middle finger at the video wall, and video paused with giant chunks of high-definition vomit on the screen. It looked like ham.

"Bleep!" shouted Ford. He stubbed a toe against the chair as he sat down.

"That reminds me, Ford," said Bayer. "Where are my Virtue Chips?"

Virtue Chips were implanted in the skulls of everyone who lived in GoCorp communities and prevented a person from swearing. And one of the perks of having the finger was that the embedded executive control chip disabled the Virtue Chip in a person.

"There was a fire at one of the fabrication sites," said Ford.

"Shit," said Bayer. "GoCorp's got over fifty buns in the oven in Libertysville. I need chips to implant. I do not want to have the surgeons slice open newborns and disable their vocal centers. Those muties freak me out."

"I'll see what I can do," said Ford.

"Right," said Bayer. "So why are you here?"

"We have an appointment," said Ford. "I sent in an application."

"Right, but—" said Bayer. He produced a computer tablet from his desk and looked at the screen. "Let me bring up your info." He tapped at the tablet. He nodded. "GoNet's a bit slow today."

"That's probably because we've diverted some of GoNet's bandwidth. Security's running field ops in Europe."

"Oh, I see. You want to join the Mars program."

"That's right, Mr. Bayer," said Ford. "I want to help establish GoCorp's Martian colony. I would like to be on the next launch if at all possible."

"A bit of that pioneer spirit, eh?"

Ford nodded, but he didn't say anything. He didn't say how Mars frightened him. He didn't say how he would rather stay on Earth than hurtle through space toward a distant planet. But after all the effort he had given GoCorp and all the complaints he had listened to, he didn't have the finger, and it wasn't looking like they would give him the finger. If there was nothing on this world for him, he wanted to try the next. If it meant going to Mars to get the finger, then he would go to Mars.

"Well, let's have a look at you," said Bayer. He scanned the computer tablet. "It says here that you graduated near the top of your class in the GoCorp educational program. I am looking for the best people to send to Mars."

"I think I can very helpful if you'd send me," said Ford.

Bayer slapped the tablet onto his desk. "Look," he said. "I'm going to be honest since you've been with us for so long."

Ford gave a skeptical look.

"This mission to Mars, this series of missions to Mars that GoCorp is sending, they are the vanguard, the first impression, so to speak," said Bayer. "And we want to make a good first impression."

"What are you saying?"

"Look, Ford," said Bayer. "Face it. You don't have the right look. We want happy. We want brilliant smiles and strong jaws."

"You want you," said Ford.

Bayer laughed. "Why thank you," he said, beaming. "But of course, I wouldn't want to go to Mars. I have this job on Earth."

"Right," said Ford. He stood.

"Look, Ford," said Bayer. "Maybe in ten years or so, when Mars isn't so new. When space travel is kind of drab and ho-hum, then we can send you."

"Right," said Ford. "Ten years."

"Or so," said Bayer.

Ford winced. "Or so," he said.

"And it wouldn't hurt if we saw you in church more than once a month," said Bayer. "I hear the Chief Proselyting Officer is going to give a series of sermons on smiling more. It should be helpful."

Ford clamped his jaw. Ten years.

Or so.

He turned toward the door.

"Oh, one other thing, Ford," said Bayer.

"Yes?"

"We're looking for a rightfielder for the softball team," said Bayer.

"I used to play," said Bayer.

"Can you find someone for us?" asked Bayer. He waggled his finger, and the vomit rewound back into the gunman's mouth. The video looped over and over. "Now, Ford, could you please send in Ms. McDonalds and Ms. Johnson? This video is giving me a hard-on."

Ford left the office. He didn't say anything, but Bayer's assistant slinked past him into the office.

"Bleep," said Ford. "Bleep."

He winced.

"Blee—fff—"

Ford huffed. His brow crumpled. His heart raced. His face turned red.

"Fff—"

He staggered.

"Fff— ffuck!" shouted Ford. Blood dripped from his nose.

Ford fell over.

"Fuck," he said again with a ragged breath.

And he knew. They had given him the finger all along.

Cyan

Banned
True Story (850)

I open my eyes to a small, white room. Lighted mirrors line one wall, swivel chairs in front of them, and a collection of clothes and assorted detritus lie in piles. An HVAC system hums in the distance, a quiet voice comes from a speaker near the ceiling. The closed-in scent of stale air fills the room.

There's something wrong. I don't know where I am, and I can see in one of the mirrors that I don't look right. I feel for my face, and find powder and makeup smeared on it. Bile rises in the back of my throat, an old memory of a disastrous birthday party wells up and sinks back down into my stomach, ice-cold. There is a knock at the door.

Yeah?

Are you ready? May I come in?

Uh. Sure.

The door opens, a businesslike twenty-something woman bustles in. Her hair is in a neat bun, and her glasses don't quite match with the navy blazer and pencil skirt. She purses her lips.

You've been touching your face. I told you not to do that.

Did you?

I'll send makeup back in.

She sighs, and turns to leave. I try to stand, but quickly find myself back in my seat.

You all right?

Yes. No. Listen. Where am I?

What? Are you drunk? Because I'm not letting you on if--

I'm not drunk. I just don't remember... anything.

She narrows her eyes, and my head starts to hurt. My head, and my stomach, and there's a sharp pain in my ribs, and the bile rises at the back of my throat again, and a strand of memory floats to the surface. Not the whole thing, but the outline. I'm here to speak to a woman. To climb furious new heights. They contradict, the two thoughts, but they go together. I'm here to lie, to trick, to obfuscate. I will lie and I will not regret it for one moment. I cannot regret, I must not regret. There is only my name to think of. My stomach ices over.

I see the gears turning, there.

I was putting things together. Could use a drink though.

Aren't you recovering?

Oh. Yes.

Makeup will be here in a sec.

She turns to go, and this time I let her. Not sure I could stand up anyway. I'm suddenly flooded with shame, and all I want to do is leave. I can't do it, I can't lie to her, can't look into her eyes and tell her I'm honest while I stab her in the back. I can't lay my reputation out there for something that isn't real.

I was arrested once. The cops found me at the driver's seat of a crashed car. I was drunk as hell, high on god knows what, barely conscious. They pulled me out of that car and handcuffed me, and the officer looked at me with this look of utter disgust. Like I was worthless, like I didn't qualify as a human being.

I feel like that now.

There is another knock at the door, and before I can say anything a man comes in. He's wearing street clothes, jeans and a tshirt, but they fit him well and look stylish. He carries a tray of makeup.

Oooh. She wasn't kidding.

Huh?

I'll do you again, but this time don't touch your face, k?

Right.

The man sets about briskly and efficiently first removing, then dabbing more goop all over my face. I talk around the bristles and dabs.

You ever--lied to anyone?

Ha! Me? Lie?

No, seriously.

Who doesn't?

But, like, a serious lie.

Oh, sure. A few--no, every one of my exes. Hold still, now. My parents, back in high school. And now, still, about some things. My friends back home. My friends here. My boss. My stylist. I could go on.

That's a lot of lies.

People lie. It's what we do. It's grease for the social gears.

Grease?

Sure, lies keep things moving smoothly. Imagine if we all told the truth all the time. Dangerous. And oh so boring. Turn your head. That's it.

You ever lied to get ahead?

Oh, you are cute.

That's a yes?

Listen kiddo. Everyone who's ahead now? They lied to get there. Politicians, businessmen, leaders of any kind. The people who run things. Well, maybe not her. But everyone else.

Does that make it ok?

It makes it a necessity. They lied to get ahead, we have to lie just to keep up. Ok, that's you done. Better get up, you're almost due!

The man helps me stand, and we walk over to the door.

Don't touch your face, now.

I won't.

He smiles, and hands me off to the businesslike woman, waiting outside the dressing room.

Dressing room. I remember where I am now, as well as why. I remember how I got here, and I remember what I'm here for. I remember the stakes.

And I know exactly what I must do.

You're on in three. You ready?

I'm ready.

Ashes

Banned
I don't think we've ever done this before, but for titles alone, I think this week is pretty up there. We have strength in depth; variety and simplicity; tap your self editing selves on the back.

Ashes

Banned
"A rare Jane Austen manuscript has sold for £993,250 ($1.6m) in London, three times more than its estimated price.

Auction house Sotheby's had originally valued the unfinished novel - entitled The Watsons - at £200,000-300,000.

The manuscript, originally owned privately, was purchased by the Bodelian Libraries of Oxford."

BBC

Irish said:
I honestly can't think of any author whose work is worth that much.

Well, the Bodelian Libraries are primarily reference libraries and I'm sure the money isn't too much of a problem since it is Oxford, so it does make some sense.

Ashes

Banned
They just about won it as well.

"The Bodelian Libraries in Oxford who acquired the unfinished novel, with the help of a substantial grant from the National Heritage Memorial Fund (£894,700)."

I saw some of Austen's work at the British Library. She does cross out and rewrite stuff quite a bit. It's a shame a lot of modern writers write on pc, so the working out is somewhat lost to history.

Ashes: I had a hard time following this one. It didn’t feel grounded. The constant changing of who we were following was off putting. And Connor didn’t seem to serve any purpose at all. I did however like the basics of the story even if it was tough t follow.

Zeph: I’ll admit. I had a hard time following this one. The writing was good. The characters were interesting. The world was unique, but the scene changes were always jarring, abrupt, and confusing. By the end, I didn’t really know what had happened or what’s going on. I have ideas, but they’re all just guesses until your book comes out.

Azih: Fun, well written, but a little too simple. The end seems to come more from Deus ex Machina than from clever investigating. You have a good frame work, good scenes, great dialogue, and with a little more reworking, I think it could be a much stronger piece.

Tim: Good. Very, very good. I do wish that we'd been able to see a little more about what happened.

J.D.: Also, extremely good. I do wish the ending hadn't been quiet so abrupt, but perhaps that was the point.

Boot: This one is well written and compelling, but I think it would have been stronger if you’d treated it more like Reboot and less like ancient Greece. In other words, I think the surprise of the ending supersedes the hurt of the loss.

Tangent: Cute, simple, and down to earth, but I also get the feeling that this story is real. My family and I have do this so many times with our cats and dogs, always worrying about the one left behind. Really, a great piece. Possibly your best yet.

Puddles: The tone of this piece is so bleak and jaded that the more hopeful tone at the end just seems to come out of nowhere. It’s a good piece, but I think it’d be stronger with a more consistent tone.

DND: As always the story itself is great. However, this one felt like it just built up to a rather obvious punch line. You knew it was coming, since the first moment you started talking about the power of the finger, but it was not all that satisfying of an ending, which drags an overall very strong piece down a bit.

Cyan: Dude, that ending is really unsatisfying. At the end, the piece feels more like a dressed up essay on lying, which is a damn shame because there was some great character to the piece. I need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom