• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

Spiegel

Capcom can't catch a break lately between overshipped games (SB, MHAiruG) and megabombas (the 3DS game launched this week).

They should manage their expectations better.

Spiegel said:
Capcom can't catch a break lately between overshipped games (SB, MHAiruG) and megabombas (the 3DS game launched this week).

They should manage their expectations better.

That sound game?
Was it expected to do huge numbers?

Epic Yarn and Super Star Ultra had strong legs, so I don't see why Mass Attack should be any different.

The 3DS price drop should help as well.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./15. [NDS] Pokemon Black / White | RPG | (Pokemon Co.) {2010.09.18} | ¥4.800 |
22./14. [PSP] Little Battler Xperience | RPG | (Level 5) {2011.06.16} | ¥5.980 |
23./00. [3DS] Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni | ADV | (Capcom) {2011.08.04} | ¥4.800 |
24./00. [PS3] Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood - Special Edition | ACT | (Ubisoft) {2011.08.04} | ¥3.990 |
25./11. [PS3] Operation Flashpoint: Red River | ACT | (Codemasters) {2011.07.28} | ¥7.770 |
26./17. [WII] Wii Party | ETC | (Nintendo) {2010.07.08} | ¥4.800 |
27./19. [PS3] Alice: Madness Returns | ADV | (Electronic Arts) {2011.07.21} | ¥7.665 |
28./00. [PSP] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki with Power-Up Kit | SLG | (Koei Tecmo) {2011.08.04} | ¥6.090 |
29./16. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} | ¥4.800 |
30./20. [WII] GoldenEye 007 | ACT | (Nintendo) {2011.06.30} | ¥5.800 |
31./30. [WII] Mario Kart Wii | RCE | (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} | ¥5.800 |
32./23. [PSP] Steins;Gate # | ADV | (Kadokawa Shoten) {2011.06.23} | ¥6.090 |
33./26. [PS3] Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition | FTG | (Capcom) {2011.06.30} | ¥3.990 |
34./27. [WII] Wii Fit Plus | HOB | (Nintendo) {2009.10.01} | ¥2.000 |
35./10. [PSP] Hakuouki: Reimeiroku Portable # | ADV | (Idea Factory) {2011.07.28} | ¥5.040 |
36./00. [NDS] Cars 2: The Video Game | RCE | (Disney Interactive) {2011.08.04} | ¥5.040 |
37./35. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii | ACT | (Nintendo) {2009.12.03} | ¥5.800 |
38./28. [3DS] Star Fox 64 3D | STG | (Nintendo) {2011.07.14} | ¥4.800 |
39./25. [PS3] Sniper: Ghost Warrior | ACT | (Ubisoft) {2011.07.21} | ¥7.329 |
40./39. [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 - Professional | RPG | (Square Enix) {2011.03.31} | ¥4.440 |
41./31. [PSP] To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers # | RPG | (Aqua Plus) {2011.06.30} | ¥5.040 |
42./37. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (Rockstar Classics) | ACT | (Take-Two Interactive) {2011.07.21} | ¥2.500 |
43./21. [PS3] No More Heroes: Red Zone Edition | ACT | (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.07.21} | ¥3.990 |
44./40. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 | ACT | (Capcom) {2010.12.01} | ¥5.800 |
45./43. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl | FTG | (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} | ¥6.800 |
46./41. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP the Best) | ADV | (Konami) {2011.02.24} | ¥2.940 |
47./38. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Rockstar Classics) | ACT | (Take-Two Interactive) {2011.07.21} | ¥2.500 |
48./00. [NDS] Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS | ACT | (Pokemon Co.) {2011.04.21} | ¥5.800 |
49./18. [PS3] Dungeon Siege III | RPG | (Square Enix) {2011.07.28} | ¥7.980 |
50./32. [PS3] Atelier Meruru: The Alchemist of Arland 3 # | RPG | (Gust) {2011.06.23} | ¥7.140 |

Top 50

PSP - 18
WII - 12
PS3 - 9
NDS - 8
3DS - 3

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    957.000 |    817.000 |    973.222 | 25.708.000 | 33.305.946 |

Spiegel said:
Between "huge numbers" and "debuting outside of the top 20" there are a wide range of possibilities.

It could make roughly 8k since
23./00. [3DS] Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni | ADV | (Capcom) {2011.08.04} | ¥4.800 |
which is not so bad in my opinion for such a niche game. We'll see if it will have legs, also thanks to the demo.

[Nintex]

Resident Evil Racoon City looks like crap, Dragon's Dogma is eating up nearly all their development resources and it's just bomba after bomba. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom is up for sale as early as next year.

enishi

Sammy Samusu said:
Worst week ever to release a 3DS game, what the fuck Crapcom? :/

Maybe Capcom refuses to do a Monster Hunter on 3DS, so Nintendo did not inform them the price reduction date as a revenge :D

[Nintex] said:
Resident Evil Racoon City looks like crap, Dragon's Dogma is eating up nearly all their development resources and it's just bomba after bomba. I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom is up for sale as early as next year.
Capcom going third par... wait.

Dead at Poka Poka Village G price-drop.

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Then Nintendo buys them and everyone goes FUUUUUUUUUU-

[Nintex] said:

Capcom get bought by Konami? World would end...

Road said:
A different situation from Kirby Mass Attack, which even with only a 30% sell-through in the first week will probably go past the initial shipment. "Epic Yarn" has almost doubled the first week shipment of 240k and had a low sell-through too -- 40%.
If it doesn't quadruple its first week, it pretty much has to be some sort of counterfeit Kirby.

Haha. Checking now, the last number I have for the line on the bottom there would end it at 3.997x its first week.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
First week + sellthrough

Famitsu

[NDS] Kirby Canvas Curse (Nintendo) {2005.03.24} - 72.102 <39,50%>

Media Create

[NDS] Kirby Squeak Squad (Nintendo) {2006.11.02} - 166.131 <40,38%>
[NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra (Nintendo) {2008.11.06} - 265.654 <55,22%>
[WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo) {2010.10.14} - 92.280 <38,53%>

[PSP] Monster Hunter Diary: Pokapoka Ailu Village (Capcom) {2010.08.26} - 256.076 <91,97%>

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
zomgbbqftw said:
Capcom get bought by Konami? World would end...
That would be interesting, we would get a Castlevania made by Konami

Spiegel

New Legend of Heroes Gets over 200,000 Orders

A Tweet at the official Falcom Twitter reveals that Falcom has taken over 200,000 retail orders for the game (this means that retailers have ordered 200,000 units, not that people have pre-ordered 200,000 units). Sony apparently sent a congratulatory e-mail about this to Falcom CEO Toshihiro Kondo, who passed along the information to the Falcom staff.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/08/12/ao_no_kiseki_orders/

Road

Spiegel said:
First week and overall sales are increasing, but at the same time it seems the series is becoming more and more front-loaded. Good luck with that shipment.

{2004-12-16} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch (Bandai) - 21.147 / 103.834 / 20%
{2009-04-02} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch [PSP the Best] (Bandai Namco) - - / - / -

{2005-06-02} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion (Bandai) - 11.121 / 32.159 / 35%
{2009-04-02} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion [PSP the Best] (Bandai Namco) - - / - / -

{2006-01-12} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean (Bandai) - 9.141 / 18.584 / 49%
{2009-04-02} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean [PSP the Best] (Bandai Namco) - - / - / -

{2006-09-28} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Nihon Falcom) - 14.610 / 32.712 / 45%
{2010-09-16} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky [Best Selection] (Nihon Falcom) - - / 16.635 / -
{2010-12-16} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky [PSP the Best] (Nihon Falcom) - - / - / -

{2007-09-27} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter (Nihon Falcom) - 25.881 / 56.515 / 46%
{2010-12-16} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 2nd Chapter [PSP the Best] (Nihon Falcom) - - / - / -

{2008-07-24} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (Nihon Falcom) - 48.737 / 77.972 / 63%
{2010-12-16} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd [PSP the Best] (Nihon Falcom) - - / - / -

{2010-09-30} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 91.424 / 118.520 / 77%

{2007-12-20} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Complete [FC / SC / Material Collection] (Nihon Falcom) - 3.100 / 3.100 / -
{2008-11-27} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Set [FC / SC / the 3rd] (Nihon Falcom) - 10.397 / 10.397 / -
{2009-12-10} [PSP] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky [Super Price Set] [FC / SC / the 3rd] (Nihon Falcom) - - / 10.248 / -

Famitsu.

EB64D.png

[Nintex] said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom is up for sale as early as next year.

You do realize Capcom increased it's pure profits by 60% this quarter compared to last year same quarter? They reorganized the company to be far more leaner and profitable, social games and arcades are booming like never before for them.

a wee bit sad about people saying Japan is dying, almost every company had great quarterly reports, just it's not reflected in stuff you are interested in.

Other random info:

Went to akihabara yesterday afternoon:

3ds was in stock everywhere, although some stocks had limited colors.
MHVG was marked down beyond what is normal at basically every single shop.
Kirby was marked down a little beyond more then what is normal at some shops.
Was looking for the magic pen 3ds shop at the cheapest price: problem is very few shops seem to actually be selling it, that might not be making the top 50.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
You do realize Capcom increased it's pure profits by 60% this quarter compared to last quarter? They reorganized the company to be far more leaner and profitable, social games and arcades are booming like never before for them.

a wee bit sad about people saying Japan is dying, almost every company had great quarterly reports, just it's not reflected in stuff you are interested in.

Other random info:

Went to akihabara yesterday afternoon:

3ds was in stock everywhere, although some stocks had limited colors.
MHVG was marked down beyond what is normal at basically every single shop.
Kirby was marked down a little beyond more then what is normal at some shops.
Was looking for the magic pen 3ds shop at the cheapest price: problem is very few shops seem to actually be selling it, that might not be making the top 50.

Did you obtain to see people buying 3DS? Were they buying it at a good pace?
What about games?

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I have no idea how the 3DS will do after the pricecut in Japan. Plenty in stock when I check random places in Osaka, but people seem to be interested. Can't wait for the #

Mpl90

Lupin3 said:
I have no idea how the 3DS will do after the pricecut in Japan. Plenty in stock when I check random places in Osaka, but people seem to be interested. Can't wait for the #

The most important thing is that people is interested... the presence of large stock can be also a consequence of a new shipment.

Cygnus X-1

Mpl90 said:
The most important thing is that people is interested... the presence of large stock can be also a consequence of a new shipment.

It is anyway obvious that the lack of a single must have game still prevents the handheld to explode.

BowieZ

Banned
Lupin3 said:
Just so you know, every time I read about anecdotally "plenty in stock," before some expected big new numbers, it turns out to be massive and GAF has a mini meltdown.

I look forward to our new 3DS overlords.

Mpl90

But what if this time it dosen't happen what you said,Bowiez?
There's always a first time XD

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
BowieZ said:
Just so you know, every time I read about anecdotally "plenty in stock," before some expected big new numbers, it turns out to be massive and GAF has a mini meltdown.

I look forward to our new 3DS overlords.

Now I know! Sofmap and Yodobashi in Umeda still have/had plenty in stock though. But at least Yodobashi usually have a shit load of machines in stock. I was able to buy a 3DS about 7 hours after opening on the day of release, and it sold pretty good the first days.

I don't expect 3DS to keep going at a high number, it still has no game, a pokemon spin off won't do it; definitely price drop will help it sells more, but first it needs incentives, the hardware itself isn't anything special, everything is worse compared to any average smartphone

BurntPork

Banned
The 3DS is in stock everywhere because it was way overstocked everywhere and Nintendo has a ton of unshipped units. Really, Nintendo should probably try to quietly halt production for a bit and severely limit shipments. It means that they'll be taking a loss even longer, but that's the only way it'll sell.

Alrus

BurntPork said:
The 3DS is in stock everywhere because it was way overstocked everywhere and Nintendo has a ton of unshipped units. Really, Nintendo should probably try to quietly halt production for a bit and severely limit shipments. It means that they'll be taking a loss even longer, but that's the only way it'll sell.

Creating artificial shortages? What's the fucking point? People won't stop buying a console they want because there's too much stock...

Cygnus X-1

BurntPork said:

Dude, do you know what does it mean to stop the production in term of money? Nintendo did such a move during 2003 with the Gamecube and this led to a severe lifting of revenues.

BurntPork

Banned
Alrus said:
Creating artificial shortages? What's the fucking point? People won't stop buying a console they want because there's too much stock...
But if people see that no one's buying it, they think it's because it's not worth buying. Meanwhile, shortages create headlines and make it a hot item, cause people to want to see why it's so popular. It's going to happen with Vita, and if Nintendo can't make 3DS a hot item this holiday, it's pretty much done.

Alrus

BurntPork said:
But if people see that no one's buying it, they think it's because it's not worth buying. Meanwhile, shortages create headlines and make it a hot item, cause people to want to see why it's so popular. It's going to happen with Vita, and if Nintendo can't make 3DS a hot item this holiday, it's pretty much done.

That sure worked for the 360...

BurntPork said:

I need to see your crystal ball.
It is obviously broken.

BurntPork

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
Dude, do you know what does it mean to stop the production in term of money? Nintendo did such a move during 2003 with the Gamecube and this lead to a severe lifting of revenues.
Yeah. I know it's too much of a risk. At the same time, it's probably being severely overproduced right now. They want to ship 16 million worldwide this fiscal year. At the current pace, they'll be lucky to ship 5 million, so production is going to end up so slow that they might as well bring it to a halt. If the price drop and MK7 don't work, chances are that they'll be forced to permanently halt production by March anyway. I can already say with absolute certainty that the price cut was a bust in the US because they didn't even try to advertise it. Maybe it's better in Japan, though. I guess we'll see.

AceBandage said:
I need to see your crystal ball.
It is obviously broken.
You don't think that Vita is going to have supply issues?

Alrus

BurntPork said:
Yeah. I know it's too much of a risk. At the same time, it's probably being severely overproduced right now. They want to ship 16 million worldwide this fiscal year. At the current pace, they'll be lucky to ship 5 million, so production is going to end up so slow that they might as well bring it to a halt. If the price drop and MK7 don't work, chances are that they'll be forced to permanently halt production by March anyway. I can already say with absolute certainty that the price cut was a bust in the US because they didn't even try to advertise it. Maybe it's better in Japan, though. I guess we'll see.

Ok again with your doom and gloom.... What are you basing this on? We don't even have any data for post price cut sales anywhere. Your act is getting pretty old. You can say with "Certainty" that US price drop was a bust? Really? If you have numbers we don't have, by all mean share them...

And Mario Kart "failing" is as ridiculous as people saying MW3 will see a drop in sales compared to its predecessor, it won't happen.

Top Bottom