• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

BurntPork

Banned
Wait. The top selling title of the week is for PSP, that title broke 101k, and there are five new PSP titles in the top 20, and yet PSP went down from last week? How is that even possible?

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
DQ Collection won't sell neither 1/3 of a million.

o_O Gonna have to disagree here. It does have the DQX footage on it, too. > 500K seems reasonable, but it could have legs to get to 1m.

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo shipped 700k worldwide so far this fiscal year(up untill July 2011) and they plan to ship 16 million in total this fiscal year, 16 million - 700k = 15.3 million. Those 4.3 million were part of last fiscal year, that's why Nintendo did everything they could to get the 3DS in stores before March 31st 2011. So they plan to have an install base of about 20 million systems by the end of this fiscal year. For reference, they're planning to ship about 9 million regular DS's.

Where that information comes from? Nintendo's own fiscal report stating that is the forecast/target for 3DS shipments and unlike DS and Wii shipments they didn't revise them and actually increased their software forecast.
I see now. I don't remember the forecast being 20 mil.

test_account

XP-39C²
BurntPork said:
Wait. The top selling title of the week is for PSP, that title broke 101k, and there are five new PSP titles in the top 20, and yet PSP went down from last week? How is that even possible?
Smaller releases and the PSP installbase is already huge. But the PSP only went down like a thousand units and when it is around 35k-36k i would concider that kind of drop more as statistical noise.

BurntPork said:
Nearly 7 years of base building leaving fewer people who care about such games but haven't already got a PSP.
artwalknoon said:
Did Nintendo not advertise Epic Mickey at all? Is Mickey not a huge figure in Japan? I thought he was quite popular worldwide.
I can't speak to his popularity, but just doing a quick Garaph search for games with Disney or Mickey in the title, I don't find anything very big.

The only one Epic Mickey might've had a worse first week than was 3380 there, Mickey's Speedway USA for N64.

EDIT: Just noticed all of those top three look to have been Nintendo-published.

donny2112 said:
o_O Gonna have to disagree here. It does have the DQX footage on it, too. > 500K seems reasonable, but it could have legs to get to 1m.
It's a footage. Everybody will watch it on youtube/nicovideo 2 days before the official release.

DQX trailer isn't the draw of DQ Collection, it's the fact that it's the anniversary product and it has the older games people love. Like Mario Collection last year.

BKK

JoshuaJSlone said:
The only one Epic Mickey might've had a worse first week than was 3380 there, Mickey's Speedway USA for N64.

Not quite; 17,989

Castle of Illusion for the Mega Drive might have done well, but releasing in 1990 it's too early for Famitsu numbers, and no charts from then online either.

I am going to stick with my 80k for 3DS .
Still people should wait a few week before calling anything , what 3DS needs is a certain amount of sales per week .
2 or 3 high weeks not going to really help in the long run .

Erethian

gundamkyoukai said:
I am going to stick with my 80k for 3DS .
Still people should wait a few week before calling anything , what 3DS needs is a certain amount of sales per week .
2 or 3 high weeks not going to really help in the long run .

Yep.

What matters so much isn't whether it sells a lot the first week of the price cut, or during the holidays, but whether it establishes better baseline sales. An average of 50k or so would be a decent figure.

Chris1964 said:
DQ Collection won't sell neither 1/3 of a million.

Looking at your data, the only thing with DQ in the name that has sold less then 300k

[GBA] Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Adventure 2 (Enix) - 65,888 / 181,024
[GBA] Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Adventure 3 (Square Enix) - 38,580 / 115,262
88 [PSP] Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (Square Enix) - 48,118 / 110,823 / 43.42%

Which were ports of console games....

When even that rather not good Card Battle game can make 300k before the price drop I think DQ collection can survive.

Other things of note:

Half-Minute Hero 2 advertising / release date kept changing, I blame a lot of it's failure on poor management skills!

44 [WII] Family Ski (Bandai Namco) - 23,895 / 123,285 / 19.38%
07./00. [WII] Family Fishing # | SPT | (Bandai Namco) {2011.08.04} | ¥5.040 | - 22.365 /

very little advertising was done for Epic Mickey

BurntPork said:

PSP value pack was released last week.

Acrylic7

did the price already drop in the US?

everywhere I went the price tag was $250. Piles of 3ds's not being sold.
I still cant justify the purchase with nothing to play.

Instro

Acrylic7 said:

No, except Walmart.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Acrylic7 said:

In some (all?) Walmarts. Price drop doesn't officially hit until the 12th. Japan just got it today.

Acrylic7 said:
I checked today and they were still $250. I didn't have them check it at the register, but the tag was still ,marked at $250
You probably should have. Some people have reported having to ask the manager for the price drop, and then getting them to clear it.

BurntPork

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
I think it will have a huge bump, to 150k or so, and then drop back to like 20-30k a week within a month.
I think it'll stabilize at around 40k a week. If it doesn't, then it's in critical condition and is unlikely to ever recover. Naturally, I really hope you're wrong.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
king zell said:
Famitsu report

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201108/11048319.html

some more pics

http://www.true-gaming.net/home/38217/

my friend is telling me that the system is selling out in some stores.
Alright so Google Translate just told me that more than 30 people were standing outside of Bic store and over 50 3DS systems were sold in the opening 30 minutes, most of those weren't reservations.

Pokemon Scramble is very popular as well as OoT 3D and Star Fox 64 3D to pick up with the new systems.

BurntPork

Banned
Fantastical said:
Alright so Google Translate just told me that more than 30 people were standing outside of Bic store and over 50 3DS systems were sold in the opening 30 minutes, most of those weren't reservations.

Pokemon Scramble is very popular as well as OoT 3D and Star Fox 64 3D to pick up with the new systems.
Wow. This really is a relaunch.

jeremy1456

Cygnus X-1 said:
Sub 100k. This has to be a re-launch of the system. Iwata bet everything on it. Either saved or sink to the hell.
Sub 150k would also be quite disappointing considering how huge is the numbers of 3DS into the stores. I think that between 100 and 150k is what I'm expecting.

A re-launch would be if Nintendo recalled all sold 3DS systems and then, well, re-launched the system.

This is in no way, shape, or form a re-launch, and I've no idea why people have been calling it that because it's so obviously not that it's becoming agonizing to see the word over and over again.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
jeremy1456 said:
A re-launch would be if Nintendo recalled all sold 3DS systems and then, well, re-launched the system.

This is in no way, shape, or form a re-launch, and I've no idea why people have been calling it that because it's so obviously not that it's becoming agonizing to see the word over and over again.
They mean a relaunch from a marketing standpoint, not that they are literally relaunching with new hardware.

Hopefully Pokemon will help sell some systems. I know this is not an original idea, but the 3DS needs a killer app.

dallow_bg said:
Live Star Fox! Live!
Seriously! We need a new Star Fox on Wii U!

Fantastical said:
They mean a relaunch from a marketing standpoint, not that they are literally relaunching with new hardware.
Even from that angle, it's really just a pricedrop. A big one granted, but it's not like this is even a new model or an upgrade or anything. Not even a new color. And the software lineup these coming weeks is super thin too.

Relaunch to me is something more along the lines of PS3 slim. Pricedrop, new model, new marketing AND AAA software launches, all at once. This is more of a first step in that direction for 3DS really.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
lunchwithyuzo said:
Even from that angle, it's really just a pricedrop. A big one granted, but it's not like this is even a new model or an upgrade or anything. Not even a new color. And the software lineup these coming weeks is super thin too.

Relaunch to me is something more along the lines of PS3 slim. Pricedrop, new model, new marketing AND AAA software launches, all at once. This is more of a first step in that direction for 3DS really.
Yeah, I agree with you. I was just clarifying that it doesn't really mean what you thought it meant originally. I wouldn't say it's just a pricedrop, but I wouldn't say it's a relaunch either.

jeremy1456

Fantastical said:
Yeah, I agree with you. I was just clarifying that it doesn't really mean what you thought it meant originally. I wouldn't say it's just a pricedrop, but I wouldn't say it's a relaunch either.

If it's not 'just' a price drop then what is it?

Did Nintendo do anything beyond dropping the price today that I'm not aware of?

Hero

The 3DS went from being one of the most expensive pieces of hardware to the most affordable. While this specific price drop day is not the relaunch, with the upcoming combination of Star Fox, Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus, it will be the relaunch period.

If things go well for Nintendo this will create momentum for the 3DS that will last through the upcoming holiday season. It may be possible that this will have the effect that Nintendo DSL and New Super Mario Bros had.

king zell

Hero said:
The 3DS went from being one of the most expensive pieces of hardware to the most affordable. While this specific price drop day is not the relaunch, with the upcoming combination of Star Fox, Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus, it will be the relaunch period.

If things go well for Nintendo this will create momentum for the 3DS that will last through the upcoming holiday season. It may be possible that this will have the effect that Nintendo DSL and New Super Mario Bros had.

the problem is that most of the big games doesn't come out until November,the upcoming weeks are really bad.

watershed

Banned
jeremy1456 said:

Did Nintendo do anything beyond dropping the price today that I'm not aware of?
New color, fire red or whatever its called, coincided with the price drop and the release of Pokemon Rumble, the first Pokemon game for the 3ds though its not a mainline title. Those factors, plus a new advertising push make this a figurative "relaunch" not a literal relaunch. Its an attempt to breath new life and I think new branding to the 3ds.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
jeremy1456 said:
Nintendo betting it all on the 3DS. The price drop was huge, and Nintendo has made it very clear how important the next few months is for them.

jeremy1456 said:
So going by the 're-launch' logic of this thread the Wii re-launched around the time when NSMBW was released?
The Wii had already established its name by that point, the 3DS still hasn't and the Wii's price drop really is "just a price drop" as you put it since its competitors were more expensive, the 3DS' main competitors are cheaper. Anyway you're taking it too literal, re-launch might be a bit of an exaggeration but its the most fitting.

jeremy1456

BishopLamont said:
The Wii had already established its name by that point, the 3DS still hasn't and the Wii's price drop really is "just a price drop" as you put it since its competitors were more expensive, the 3DS' main competitors are cheaper. Anyway you're taking it too literal, re-launch might be a bit of an exaggeration but its the most fitting.

I respectfully disagree, I think 'price drop' is the most fitting, because that's precisely what they've done.

BurntPork

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
I wasn't aware that the term refers to % drop in price.

So if Sony reduces the PS2's price to $50 that will be a re-launch too?
Why does it bother you so much? Just call it what you want. I can't stand people acting like this...

jeremy1456 said:
I respectfully disagree, I think 'price drop' is the most fitting, because that's precisely what they've done.
Yes, realistically all they've done is drop the price, but thats not the only thing they're doing, its a combination of things that they will do after that which people consider a relaunch. The Wii's support was stalled by the time NSMBW came around, people knew its a barren wasteland, price drops only appeal to the very late comers who are concerned more with the library existing than the possibility of new games.

This price drop makes the 3DS the "go to" handheld for people still holding out for the DS and for people who aren't buying it for its existing library, rather for the upcoming games, without having to swallow that $250 pill. The price drop makes it easier, but that isn't the only thing stopping people. Its the software that matters in the end.

BurntPork said:
Why does it bother you so much? Just call it what you want. I cant stand people acting like this...
Pretty much.

watershed

Banned
BurntPork said:
Why does it bother you so much? Just call it what you want. I can't stand people acting like this...

Whaaaa...? You made member? I was so banking on you getting banned before then.
congratz :p

dallow_bg

nods at old men
jeremy1456 said:
Most people look at it as more than just a number drop because of all the details about it.
Dramatic price drop so early in the systems life. Very unusual for Nintendo.
Their press release and personal apology from their president.
The free games for early adopters.

Just has a much grander feel, way more than your standard drop for a piece of electronics.

Jonnyram

Fantastical said:
3DS — it prints money.

BurntPork

Banned
artwalknoon said:
Whaaaa...? You made member? I was so banking on you getting banned before then.
congratz :p
I was too. I lost 20 bucks. :(
lol thanks

Takao said:
But supposedly Nintendo's losing money on hardware now? haha
3DS games: they print money faster than 3DS eats it.

Top Bottom