• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 31, 2011 (Aug 01 - Aug 07)

Sennorin

Banned
pramath said:
Next week will be a shitstorm.
I'm going to be conservative here, and predict ~42,000 units sold for the 3DS.

It´s more realistic for the 3DS to sell 1 mio this week than 42k.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
TheNatural said:
I'm surprised that even 4,000 bought it. Is there price match stores there, or are those people just living under a rock?

The latter, I suppose.

pramath

Banned
Sennorin said:
It´s more realistic for the 3DS to sell 1 mio this week than 42k.
1 million in a week?
Honestly, even my most optimistic prediction would put the 3DS at 75k max. There still arent any games to sustain the system.

TheNatural said:
I'm surprised that even 4,000 bought it. Is there price match stores there, or are those people just living under a rock?
Or maybe they just wanted to be ambassadors?

Burntpork and others have this right. Iwata will be a worried man if 3DS doesn't do 100k next week!

My other prediction is that the Dreamcast will shock everyone with a sudden return to the charts - outselling the 360...

Stumpokapow said:
V0H1k.jpg

Someone needs a new version for 2011!
aEn3m.png

airmangataosenai said:
What's the point at which 3DS sales would be bomba? Sub-100k? 80k? 60k?

No bomba around the corner.
The most important thing for 3DS is to increase the sales on a weekly basis, not una tantum. So 3DS may also sell 70k next week, but if it sells the same amount until november and then increase thanks to holidays, it will be a good result.

If we go by a 25k weekly sales for the 3DS normally (with the old price, based on previous sales of the previous weeks, and I'm kinda lowballing I think), that means that because of the pricedrop last week the 3DS sold 10,000 less units, and this week 20,000 units less. People are obviously holding out for the lower price.

So just to make up for the lost sales the past few weeks, without factoring in the pricedrop, that would mean the 3DS should sell about 55k units this week (25,000 as "normal weekly amount", + 10,000 + 20,000 for the lost sales due to announced pricedrop).

Considering the pricedrop is huge, I'd assume at least 45k more people are willing to buy the console "first week" (as in: the moment the console is available at that price instead of the previous price).

So for me personally the 3DS should sell at the very least 100k to not be called a total failure.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Alessandro said:
This should be the 3rd or 4th week this year that PS2 overwhelm x360, am I right?

I'm so ashamed I sold mine 2 years ago ç_ç
First time since this week

Code:
--------------------------
|  | M-Create | M-Create |
|  |   360    |   PS2    |
|Wk|2009.07.27|2009.07.27|
|  |    to    |    to    |
|  |2009.08.03|2009.08.03|
| 1|     3.552|     3.617|

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
lunchwithyuzo said:
I bet it comes close at least. Wii owners love their ROM discs.

I do wish Wii were getting a real DQ remake though. Genius Sonority totally should've done DQVII.
DQ Collection won't sell neither 1/3 of a million.

Cygnus X-1 said:
The point for Nintendo is how long will last. Without games I suspect from the third week or maybe the fourth week will be sub 30k again.
I think as long as it doesn't go below 20K there's nothing to worry about, Nintendo will enjoy the usual holiday sales explosion

Mpl90

Cygnus X-1 said:
The point for Nintendo is how long will last. Without games I suspect from the third week or maybe the fourth week will be sub 30k again.

This is the most important thing to watch after the price drop: if it will have a new good average of units sold per week.

Ah, Kilgore Trout...BRAVO!!!

Cygnus X-1

airmangataosenai said:
What's the point at which 3DS sales would be bomba? Sub-100k? 80k? 60k?

Sub 100k. This has to be a re-launch of the system. Iwata bet everything on it. Either saved or sink to the hell.
Sub 150k would also be quite disappointing considering how huge is the numbers of 3DS into the stores. I think that between 100 and 150k is what I'm expecting.

I think 3DS will finally pull away from PSP-type hardware numbers. At this point in its life, PSP was hitting a long string of 20K weeks:
2011-02-21

I think some of you are shitting on X360 waaaay too much. It's done remarkably better than its predecessor, beat the expectations of people like me who never expected it to reach a million, and has been putting up much bigger numbers as an aging system than, say, Nintendo's last home console.
mc

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Cygnus X-1 said:
Sub 150k would also be quite disappointing considering how huge is the numbers of 3DS into the stores.
Huge? Nintendo had shipped 1171k until the end of June.

New releases {2011.08.18}

[NDS] Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Kaigo Fukushishi Shiken | EDU | (MediaFive) | ¥4.800 |

[PSP] Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded | RPG | (Atlus Co.) | ¥6.279 |
[PSP] Amnesia # | ADV | (Idea Factory) | ¥6.090 |
[PSP] Amnesia [Limited Edition] | ADV | (Idea Factory) | ¥8.190 |
[PSP] Bunmei Haruka: Aoiza Ibunroku | ADV | (FuRyu) | ¥6.090 |

[PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 # | RPG | (Compile Heart) | ¥7.329 |
[PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 [Limited Edition] | RPG | (Compile Heart) | ¥9.429 |

I think the 3DS numbers are a bit deceptive because IGN (or 1up, I forget) was reporting that used 3DS sales were skyrocketing in Japan.

But still, that's pretty bad. I think people are also waiting for the price drop...obviously.

boingball

Go PS2, you can do it. Though 24000 for the year difference to the 360 is difficult.

So 4k think that the 20 games are worth 80 bucks? Or does it mean, that 4132 Japanese did not hear about the price cut?

And 4 Wii titles and only 1 PS3 title in the Top 20 but Wii still behind PS3...

BurntPork

Banned
boingball said:
Go PS2, you can do it. Though 24000 for the year difference to the 360 is difficult.

So 4k think that the 20 games are worth 80 bucks? Or does it mean, that 4132 Japanese did not hear about the price cut?

And 4 Wii titles and only 1 PS3 title in the Top 20 but Wii still behind PS3...
The drop in Japan is 10,000 yen, which equals $131. So... the later seems a lot more likely. :p Japan is easily seeing the biggest drop. (40%)

BKK

Home consoles hit 20 Million;

Media Create:
Wii: 11,687,006
PS3: 6,823,127
360: 1,493,218
= 20,003,351 (248 Weeks from PS3 release)

248 Weeks from PS2 release;

Famitsu (via garaph):
PS2: 15,357,026
NGC: 3,478,633
XBX: 456,296
= 19,291,955

However that doesn't include Dreamcast (2.8M LTD);
= 22,091,955

Road

Chris1964 said:
DQ Collection won't sell neither 1/3 of a million.
Why do you think so?

DQ fans have been receptive to milking tactics (albeit with remakes, not ROMs) and the collection is the only Wii tittle inside the COMGNET top 20, one month before the release even. While I think 1 million is a low possibility, 333333 seems easily attainable.

Or is it a limited print run?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Road said:
Why do you think so?

DQ fans have been receptive to milking tactics (albeit with remakes, not ROMs) and the collection is the only Wii tittle inside the COMGNET top 20, one month before the release even. While I think 1 million is a low possibility, 333333 seems easily attainable.

Or is it a limited print run?
I just don't see it. It won't have legs and I can't see a huge first week for a ROM collection. DQX trailer also will move nothing. It will be at youtube before the game comes out.

[Nintex]

Cygnus X-1 said:
Sub 100k. This has to be a re-launch of the system. Iwata bet everything on it. Either saved or sink to the hell.
Sub 150k would also be quite disappointing considering how huge is the numbers of 3DS into the stores. I think that between 100 and 150k is what I'm expecting.

Iwata told investors to wait 4 months to see how 3DS performs, he also hasn't changed the forecast which is to ship/sell an additional 15.3 million 3DS's by March 31 2012 and a ton of software. 3DS needs to have Wii/DS-like succes instantly after the pricedrop and then maintain that level of sales untill Mario and Mario Kart release to carry the system well into 2012. Out of all the regions the 3DS is actually in the best position in Japan where most games like Layton, Tales, Star Fox and all are already released. In the rest of the world it's an uphill battle especially if the tanking economy will affect holiday sales.

Seems to me if SNES ROM collection of NES ports can do 300K first week, a collection of NES and SNES Dragon Quest ROMs has a good shot of hitting that lifetime.

This talk about PS2 and 360 got me curious whether or not the PS2 is Y9,990 like in the west or if it's more expensive? I know the PSP got a price drop everywhere except in Japan.

Galvanise_ said:
Didn't it only get a single 200,000 shipment that was never replaced? There are probably no more Go's to sell.

Yep. The Hirai pic was okay, not as relevant or funny as the Gates one as the Go stock was bound to run out at some point in time, I was already debating whether or not it was really selling those "7" or "14" units before.

lunchwithyuzo said:
It'll do well, over 500k for sure. Look how well Mario Collection did, and it had far less content.

500-700k sounds about right to me, 1 million, I don't see it, but crazier things have happened.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retailers first day reports (just for Monster Hunter Diary G actually which came out yesterday)

Very slow start comparing to the original.

AranhaHunter said:
This talk about PS2 and 360 got me curious whether or not the PS2 is Y9,990 like in the west or if it's more expensive? I know the PSP got a price drop everywhere except in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
Graphics Horse said:
The announcement has arguably cost them 35k sales over the last 2 weeks already, so I'd say anything under 100k would be awful.
Good point. But i'm curious on how many used units that have been sold as well, if those could affect the new unit sales. But i think that over 100k is very likely to happen though.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
Retailers first day reports (just for Monster Hunter Diary G actually which came out yestarday)

Very slow start comparing to the original.

Expected,seeing the preorders on COMGnet compared to the original.

lunchwithyuzo said:
It'll do well, over 500k for sure. Look how well Mario Collection did, and it had far less content.

Maybe.
It's a sort of ULTIMATE edition of forever, since it has also new CG videos, and contains all version of DQ I-III.

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Iwata told investors to wait 4 months to see how 3DS performs, he also hasn't changed the forecast which is to ship/sell an additional 15.3 million 3DS's by March 31 2012 and a ton of software. 3DS needs to have Wii/DS-like succes instantly after the pricedrop and then maintain that level of sales untill Mario and Mario Kart release to carry the system well into 2012. Out of all the regions the 3DS is actually in the best position in Japan where most games like Layton, Tales, Star Fox and all are already released. In the rest of the world it's an uphill battle especially if the tanking economy will affect holiday sales.
I think you misunderstood him when gave that figure. I'm almost positive that the forcast was for LTD at the the end of the fiscal year, not the amount he expected to sell this year alone. That has to be it, since anyone with a brain could tell you that's 100% impossible at this point, and I don't think Iwata's that arrogant. This isn't Tretton or Reggie that we're talking about here.

Jomjom

Banned
I feel sorry for the 4k some people who bought the 3DS at the higher price because Japan is not like the US where returns and refunds are easy to obtain.

Also I wish I could have bought a PSP Go in Japan this past week. I could have been the one!

[Nintex] said:

Why do people keep quoting that 15.3 million? Its 16 million world wide by the end of the fiscal year, March 2012, and it already has sold 4.3 million worldwide. Where is this 15.3 coming from? Its an uphill battle for sure, but not impossible.

Road

Chris1964 said:
I just don't see it. It won't have legs and I can't see a huge first week for a ROM collection. DQX trailer also will move nothing. It will be at youtube before the game comes out.
I agree about the trailer part, and, yes, I'm not expecting year-long legs. I just think a ~150k first week and ~300k ltd isn't that high of a bar to cross. We'll just have to wait and see, anyway.

Maybe I'm just surprised to see it charting on COMGNET, which I hadn't noticed yet before today. hehe

Road

Gamer @ Heart said:
Why do people keep quoting that 15.3 million? Its 16 million world wide by the end of the fiscal year, March 2012, and it already has sold 4.3 million worldwide. Where is this 15.3 coming from? Its an uphill battle for sure, but not impossible.
It sold only 710k in the first quarter of this fiscal year -- Apr to Jun. The rest of 4.32 million were sold in the last fiscal year -- Jan to Mar. So, it has to sell an additional 15.3 million in the remaining 9 months -- Jul to Mar/2012.

[Nintex]

Gamer @ Heart said:
Nintendo shipped 700k worldwide so far this fiscal year(up untill July 2011) and they plan to ship 16 million in total this fiscal year, 16 million - 700k = 15.3 million. Those 4.3 million were part of last fiscal year, that's why Nintendo did everything they could to get the 3DS in stores before March 31st 2011. So they plan to have an install base of about 20 million systems by the end of this fiscal year. For reference, they're planning to ship about 9 million regular DS's.

Where that information comes from? Nintendo's own fiscal report stating that is the forecast/target for 3DS shipments and unlike DS and Wii shipments they didn't revise them and actually increased their software forecast.

watershed

Banned
Did Nintendo not advertise Epic Mickey at all? Is Mickey not a huge figure in Japan? I thought he was quite popular worldwide.

Top Bottom