• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - 3DS, new after price cut 3DS owners share your impressions

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Zafir said:
The nintendo licensed screen protectors are rubbish, don't even fit the screens correctly!

Are the hori ones much better?
Hori's are great from what I've seen on 3DS.
They're certainly great on my DSi.

Bgamer90

Banned
chubigans said:
michaelclayton1ami_large.jpg

I'm sorry, but I couldn't let this photoshop opportunity pass me by.

I'll stop now. :D

LOL

Chopper said:
You are not only a liar. You are an idiot.

Why, because it's too outrageous to believe? Trust me, I skimmed a thread several times looking after my post and a reply which never came because my post magically disappeared. It wasn't a systems war post either. It was a post specifically discussing his moderating methods.

EDIT: Ah yeah, Amir0x is now a verb. Proper.

Chopper

Rocket Punch said:
Why, because it's too outrageous to believe? Trust me, I skimmed a thread several times looking after my post and a reply which never came because my post magically disappeared.
I believe you man. I was just Amiroxing you, seeing as he's yet to show up and do it himself. :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, i just read all of the Amirox stuff. Was entertaining, but not surprising.

Although i am surprised he haven't replied yet. Guess he doesn't have any good excuses for that.

I'm loving my 3DS. My only big issue is the battery life. It really is painfully short when playing OOT in 3D. I get plenty of juice out of it playing DS games, but yeah, 3DS games drain it like heck. I can't imagine it'd be much use on a long flight or train journey.

My LTTP impressions:

At first I thought the 3D was rubbish, and that I'd never use it. Especially in Pilot Wings it just didn't work for me. It just seemed off, like I was looking cross-eyed or something. And it was indeed tiring for the eyes.

However, with Ocarina of Time I've found that if I put the slider somewhere in the middle, it just...works. It actually makes the gaming experience a bit better. What a pleasant surprise. :) I still get a little dizzy after a while though, but then again I am the type that gets kinda nauseous whenever I spend too much time in front of a screen. Any screen.

3D is still not a selling point for me personally, but it's nice to know that when done right, I'll actually use the 3D function.

swerve

I heartily recommend the Luigi's Mansion 2 video if it's still on your local eShop, as showing just how 3D can improve the tactile feel of a game world.

swerve said:
I heartily recommend the Luigi's Mansion 2 video if it's still on your local eShop, as showing just how 3D can improve the tactile feel of a game world.

It's not in the NA eShop anymore, I couldn't find it a month ago when I got my 3DS. WTF NoA?

Deku

Banned
Rocket Punch said:
It's not in the NA eShop anymore, I couldn't find it a month ago when I got my 3DS. WTF NoA?

It'll be added when they put the game up as an upcoming release.

Check the Star Fox 64 3D video on the eshop. The game was just listed (last week?) I believe.

Even with the compression for streaming, the kick in visuals is noticeable and the depth in each scene is pretty strong.

It's easily one of the more impressive use of 3D

StuBurns

Banned
Alright bog eyed GAF, hope you're well. I asked this in the stupid questions thread, but I thought I'd ask here too.

Is it possible to play your own video on the 3DS yet? I.E. if I buy one can I watch Avatar in 3D at the screen's native resolution on there?

Gravijah

StuBurns said:
Alright bog eyed GAF, hope you're well. I asked this in the stupid questions thread, but I thought I'd ask here too.

Is it possible to play your own video on the 3DS yet? I.E. if I buy one can I watch Avatar in 3D at the screen's native resolution on there?

Pretty sure you can't yet.

chubigans said:
Man, I just caught up with all the Amir0x drama. Such awesome work Kato.

I remember that Heavy Rain speedrun post too, bwahaha.

Hopefully Amir0x learned something from all this.
Spoiler: Literally no lesson will be learned and any time this is brought up, he will bemoan that posters have no argument against his inarguable facts and are derailing threads to personally insult him.

Oh no I gave away the ending !!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Was just notified about this. Misrepresenting himself and then going back and trying to cover up all the evidence to the contrary? Very unfortunate behavior, and entirely unacceptable. Ami and I have had our talks before, about getting too aggressive in discussions and derailing threads and so forth, but this goes beyond that into an ethics matter.

It's done.

EviLore said:
Was just notified about this. Misrepresenting himself and then going back and trying to cover up all the evidence to the contrary? Very unfortunate behavior, and entirely unacceptable. Ami and I have had our talks before, about getting too aggressive in discussions and derailing threads and so forth, but this goes beyond that into an ethics matter.

It's done.

Whoa.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
EviLore said:

It's done.

Well, it had to happen eventually.

EviLore said:

It's done.

Thank you.

StuBurns

Banned
Gravijah said:
Pretty sure you can't yet.
Unfortunate. I'm looking for a good excuse to buy one now.

So... what page was the drama on? Eight is a lot to go thru. I wonder if we're getting another redhead.

EviLore said:

It's done.
Let no one ever say you are not a stand up guy.

hamchan

Guys, I am LTTP on this whole thing but reading through it has been an epic and funny time. Kato, you are a good detective.

Oh 3DS impressions: I like it but it needs more games already. Also my thumb keeps sliding off the freaking slide pad, very annoying.

swerve

Rocket Punch said:

Pretty ridiculous behaviour on their part. Those E3 videos entirely justified Nintendo's direction with 3D to me, having been very sceptical until that point. Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion especially, have had me pausing the videos and then switching on/off the 3D for an embarrassingly long time :D

Mik2121

What a mess of a thread...

For the record, I like amir0x. I think going around calling people liars might be going a bit too far, but oh well...

Anyway, hopefully now we can get back to the 3DS talk :)

swerve said:
Pretty ridiculous behaviour on their part. Those E3 videos entirely justified Nintendo's direction with 3D to me, having been very sceptical until that point. Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion especially, have had me pausing the videos and then switching on/off the 3D for an embarrassingly long time :D
I did see a number of people say the binary on/off 3D of some videos made them a little sick. Since you can't adjust the 3Dness of video, maybe they thought they'd make their actual video advertisements more limited, I don't know.

There was a point in the Mario 3D one where he jumps straight up out of the screen (from a top-down perspective) and I got a slight sense of vertigo.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
swerve said:
If you downloaded the videos when they originally were on the eShop, you can redownload them. Go to "Your Downloads" in the Settings, scroll down, and they should show up. I did it a couple of days ago, so it should still work.

Unfortunately, for anyone who got their 3DS after the videos were taken down, I don't know if there is any way for you watch them.

And a big "Whoa" at the Ami drama. I didn't want to partake in it, but I do agree with the action taken.

[Nintex]

EviLore said:

It's done.
ytZff.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
I have a question about the 'degrees' of 3D actually, hopefully someone can address it.

I've literally played not more than two hours, and only three games, so I'm not sure. But do people try and dial in the 'correct' depth? Because presumably too shallow and it's logically wrong in terms of the real depth dimension. And one thing I noticed was it doesn't seem to be consistent from game to game, sometimes it feels right at lower settings, was that me being an idiot or is not the same from title to title?

Looking at it logically I'd imagine the slider should be the same based on the distance between each eyes, so it should be set once and always be perfect, but I gather that's not what people are doing?

This is just out of interest, it's not like moving a little slider is an issue or anything.

Bgamer90

Banned
EviLore said:

It's done.

OHHH SNAP.

Gravijah

StuBurns said:
I have a question about the 'degrees' of 3D actually, hopefully someone can address it.

I've literally played not more than two hours, and only three games, so I'm not sure. But do people try and dial in the 'correct' depth? Because presumably too shallow and it's logically wrong in terms of the real depth dimension. And one thing I noticed was it doesn't seem to be consistent from game to game, sometimes it feels right at lower settings, was that me being an idiot or is not the same from title to title?

Looking at it logically I'd imagine the slider should be the same based on the distance between each eyes, so it should be set once and always be perfect, but I gather that's not what people are doing?

This is just out of interest, it's not like moving a little slider is an issue or anything.

Personally, once my eyes got used to 3D, I just started putting it on max. I leave it on max all the time now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
StuBurns said:

It's the game, and is based on how the devs have programmed the camera's positions. So in one game, max slider would have the camera X units apart, and in another, max is only Y units apart.
So it's definitely a game to game situation for you to adjust.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gravijah said:
Personally, once my eyes got used to 3D, I just started putting it on max. I leave it on max all the time now.

Same for me as well. I'm quite comfortable with maximum depth, so I leave it at that.

StuBurns said:

I've literally played not more than two hours, and only three games, so I'm not sure. But do people try and dial in the 'correct' depth? Because presumably too shallow and it's logically wrong in terms of the real depth dimension. And one thing I noticed was it doesn't seem to be consistent from game to game, some times it feels right at lower settings, was that me being an idiot or is not the same from title to title?

It varies game by game, sometimes even situation to situation for me.

In a lot of launch games, full-blast was too much. When I showed those same games to people who do not have drastically different eye distance than me, and I suggested they only keep it around the middle, they really struggled with the 3D until they moved it all the way to high and it became comfortable for them.

In Ocarina, I mostly have it at full, but I sometimes tone it down depending on what I'm doing (usually fast moving boss fights or areas with lots of particle effects that come flying at the screen).

Top Bottom