• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-gaming-age: what do you think of videogames now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asparagus

I just recently sold all of my curent gen systems but I still have a NES, DC and Wii hooked up to my TV. The soul still burns for those retro games <3

fake edit - I guess the Wii is current gen as well but I only use it for VC games so I don't really see it as such.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Do those of you saying that you have lapsed or given up on gaming altogether still play cell phone or browser based games?

What I'm getting at is that someone like my mom, I wouldn't really consider a "gamer," but she plays a lot of games on her phone/tablet so technically she plays a lot of video games while not fitting into the colloquial definition of a gamer that we use around here. Do you fit that description or do you really avoid all forms of interactive entertainment?

Flynn

Eventually, when you get older, you don't have to hate the things you used to like in order to like new things. It is awesome.

I'll continue to play games, but I'm scaling way back, canceled my XBL subscription, going to be PC only for awhile, my tastes are more refined, I'm much more likely to be more careful with my purchases now than I was before.

soultron

Banned
OP over-indulged.

I play a lot less games these days, but I still love the shit out of them. I don't have a tonne of time for them anymore, but they're still one of the greatest escapes I know. I prefer to spend less (just bought Bioshock 2 for $10 new) and play only the best games (Bioshock 2? They ran out of Bioshock 1. :lol) so I figure I'm not wasting hundreds of dollars every year, only to build a backlog of absolute shit -- with a few diamonds in the shitty rough.

soultron said:
OP over-indulged.

I play a lot less games these days, but I still love the shit out of them. I don't have a tonne of time for them anymore, but they're still one of the greatest escapes I know. I prefer to spend less (just bought Bioshock 2 for $10 new) and play only the best games (Bioshock 2? They ran out of Bioshock 1. :lol) so I figure I'm not wasting hundreds of dollars every year, only to build a backlog of absolute shit -- with a few diamonds in the shitty rough.
This is true for me. While I am spending a lot less time playing games (when I was kid I'd waste entire weekends playing), I still game quite a bit, but I spend far, far less on games. I bought a 3DS over the summer and a few games, but before that I'd say it's been well over a year since I'd bought a game full price.

I also tend to hold off on games now. I'm pretty much impervious to hype outside of a select few games and series (for example, I paid full price for the Devil Survivor remake for 3DS today as I love the SMT series). I used to get just ridiculously hyped for every big game, buy them, play the shit out of them, and then rarely finish them by the time the next game I want came out. Holiday seasons were just ridiculous, I'd buy 10 games I was super excited for and then not finish any of them. Now I'll wait for stuff like Steam sales and the current Amazon summer sale on handheld games, buy a few things that have reviewed well (and avoided a backlash), and not buy anything else until I beat them.

I just got Devil Survivor, and a couple weeks ago I got Trails in the Sky and Tactics Ogre for PSP for about $15 each. Those three games alone, along with Mercenaries and Ocarina of Time for the 3DS, will easily last me until near the end of the year. 3 years ago I would have paid full price for all of them and have forgotten about them within a month.

I'm 22 now, going to school full time, currently trying to find a job and doing various stuff on campus (attending lectures, writing occasionally for the school paper, etc.) and I'm actually really looking forward to being able to afford a decent gaming PC and catching up on stuff once I graduate and find a job (knock on wood). Gaming almost seems like reading in a way to me now, there's so much I'd love to read and I just don't have the time. Once I'm retired I'm going to finally be able to catch up on all the reading and gaming I've missed out on over the years.

Raziel

dream said:
90% of them are a waste of time and make me think I've completely outgrown this shit. The other 10% consists of truly exceptional titles like Deus Ex 3 that make me glad I haven't completely outgrown this shit.
deus ex 3 looks pretty shitty tbh.

Muskweeto

I'm 26, I was raised by video games and some of my fondest memories are of games.
That said, I don't play many games anymore.
This gen has made me waist a lot of money on games that I bought in hopes of rekindling my interest.

I only have a few series that I still follow. (Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario, Dragon quest.)
I've made the conscience decision to only buy the Wii U next gen and stick with the main nintendo games and hope that the other companies that I like move to that system.

To those who say Video games are a waste of time, the way I see it, everything is a waste of time, and I'm not talking only about entertainment, I mean EVERYTHING.
Before someone tells me that's a sad outlook, I assure you, I'm quite happy and optimistic.

jorma

is now taking requests
Having fun is not a waste of time. Doing boring shit is a waste of my time, unless its directly connected to my ability to support myself and my way of living.

I typically only play split screen co-op shooters with a friend or RPGs. Seeing as how most of them suck this gen, I haven't been playing much.

dude

dude
Quitting is not really the right word for me. I did not intend to stop playing video games and said to myself to stop despite wanting to.
I stopped wanting to play games, sort of.
For years now my passion for video games has dwindeled considerably over the years. I still play one every now and then, but I'm hardly excited about them anymore. When I do play them, I usually lose itneresti n the game after a few hours and never touch it again. Game I recently enjoyed (that are not classics I replay) were Left 4 Dead, Civ 5 and... That's kinda it.

My desire to game was dwindling, until I discovered Killing Floor.
Now I got 4 other grown men hooked and shit rules.

It rules so god damned hard.

Much harder than l4d. Not even close.

Teknoman

Honestly gaming side disputes are no more serious than what people get into OT side. Either side can be great towards one another or incredibly vitriolic depending on the subject mater.

raziel said:
deus ex 3 looks pretty shitty tbh.
After playing a decent amount of the beginning, its really not. Ample amounts of decision making or straight action depending on what you want to do.

I think alot of people with the disposable income to purchase games just need to scale back how many/what they purchase. Once you have the ability to do what you want, when you want, the excitement of it isnt nearly as much as it used to be...however, if you limit yourself, you'll find you have more fun ( of course that probably goes for all things in life).

Also if you arent enjoying yourself, just stop and do something else or sell the game.

Muskweeto

I still think there is nothing more fun than getting four people together for some local multiplayer, especially Nintendo games.

thetechkid

Muskweeto said:
I still think there is nothing more fun than getting four people together for some local multiplayer, especially Nintendo games.

Get four people to play some Double Dash together and it will be fun until a friendship is ruined.

Raziel

Teknoman said:
After playing a decent amount of the beginning, its really not. Ample amounts of decision making or straight action depending on what you want to do.
from what i've been hearing, there isn't much freedom of choice at all between stealth and run and gun - and that scarce ammo forces you to stealth more often than not. that and because the gunplay and ai overall just aren't very good. the stealth set-pieces too seem pretty artificial and contrived with man-sized ventilation shafts everywhere. dialogue segments seem long-winded. hacking stuff and reading random e-mails looks dry. and the voice acting seems mostly bad.

Medalion

Banned
I don't game very much yet I follow the news and discussions on the gaming-age side from time to time

I have all the gaming systems or most of em but I haven't really in-depthly played a game from beginning to end in awhile since Portal 2 and before that, I barely remember the one before that but it was more than a few years

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'm sick of console gaming, the only console games i can play for over 4 hours in one setting is, Gears of war multiplayer and gta iv multiplayer.

That being said i'm building a gaming pc part by part, hope to get into battlefield 3 pretty deep.

For the first time since the gta iv launch i'm hyped.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I've been gaming since I was about 5 years old, and can't imagine a life totally devoid of video games. I just love them, there's no other word for it. I love the culture, the history, the experience, everything.

That said, I do play less than I used to thanks to work, girlfriend, housework, social occasions etc, and I'm less interested in new releases than I used to be. Usually it's about 3-4 games per year, although this is shaping up to be more of a 6-7 game year.

Also, I don't understand how people can say it's getting too expensive when the price of gaming has hardly changed in a decade. There are also more cheap options out there than there used to be, and so many classics to replay, some of which can even be had for free!

Teknoman said:
Honestly gaming side disputes are no more serious than what people get into OT side. Either side can be great towards one another or incredibly vitriolic depending on the subject mater.
that's deceptive.

disputes "exist" in their current form on this forum because of the gaming side. kids, like me, raised on video game journalism are taught that everything is either the best thing ever created or the most disgusting piece of shit ever flushed down the toilet.

console wars, review scores, game sales.. whatever you want to blame it on, people on this forum want to declare something either the best or the worst, and they want it backed up by empirical evidence. you said something was good? au contraire, good sir, i argue that it is in fact a piece of garbage!

some people value their time greatly. whether it applies to actual time they've spent with a video game or their personal biases towards a certain corporation or studio, people here are more than eager to argue that their opinion of something is right instead of valuable. this kind of mindset is backed up by others, which creates two and only two camps in the minds of boarders: for or against.

i really hate to recall the whole debacle, but Dyack was probably right. groupthink exists, and it persuades. it's so much easier to subscribe to something than it is to actually think something that's original. this is where "trolling" comes into play here -- and, don't get me wrong, as it does at many other websites on the internet -- it becomes a place where it's extremely easy to predict what will go against the grain; what will cause the most raucous.

and yet, debate is glorified. this idea that one idea is the correct idea, reinforced by ideas or "defense forces", fuels some kind of omnipresent metacommentary. um, hey, i don't know if you saw the thread, but that stupid thing you just said is banned. because you people took it too far; because you people wore it too thin; because you people are already dead!

i just truly hate binary opposition. whether it's political or whatever.. everywhere i look i see people immediately divided by an initial reaction. oh, this person said this, they're an idiot. oh, this person likes this, they must be stupid. oh, this place values groupthink over individuality, i'm gonna make a long post about it on a video game message board.

and that's just it, i'm not classifying anyone here specifically. i'm just pointing out things i've noticed on both sides of this forum that i've frequented for more than a few years. more than ever i've been just trying to add something that couldn't be posted by a robot who's posted here for years. mob mentality and the bystander effect are similar in their persuasive nature.. peer pressure is normal. but if you take the time to think about things rather than buy into a knee jerk reaction to any topic, including a video game, you might find yourself forming an actual thought.

Tenck

I used to game sooooooooooooooo much. Now not so much. I tend to play WoW with my friends and play some Quake Live, but that's about it for now. I've been meaning to finish my games from Steam, and I'm sure I will at some point (only 34 games so far).

Gaming has lost a lot of it's magic. Right now I just see myself visiting older titles I never had a chance to enjoy. I'm also only gaming with Nintendo now, so I don't have to worry about huge backlogs.

Quit gaming? You fuckin crazy b.

Uncharted 3
Mario 3DS
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Metal Gear Solid Collection
Dark Souls

This the best year in gaming since 2007.

Lamel

Banned
I remember a few years back when I looked at adults who stopped gaming I would say "How can they do that?! I will never give it up..." and now I play less and less. How depressing.

Mario Kart Double Dash was fucking brilliant. The kind of rivalry it fostered is sorely missed in the multiplayer games of today. Nintendo was experimenting back then, after the success of the N64. Pac-Man Vs. remains the best local multiplayer game of all time.

xziVR.png

Not pictured: Many friendships, 19**-2003

no one i know wants to play local multiplayer games any more. it's a fucking shame. i don't get the same thing out of playing online. i never do it, actually. i want to have fun.

soultron

Banned
blame space, you're turning me on right now.

In all seriousness, great post. Very much agree about local MP as well. It's tough to even get all my good IRL buddies to game online with these days so I don't even play online that much now.

Daigoro

claviertekky said:
While I understand what you're saying in regards to a person's health, is there a reason why you are against alcohol?

That seems a little strange to me. I can understand drugs and cigs, but alcohol? Do you not drink at all?

the hell? lol

Willectro

Banned
I think I'm done with MMO's because of the time commitments. I would much rather be a 'casual gamer', but I have yet to find something fill the void. I like gaming because I can relax while playing a game.

mrkgoo

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Are you sure this was me? I know I wrote "Harry kills Dumbledore" at some point in the past (if not, I have now), but it wasn't immediately after the book came out.

Darth Vader is *edited out*. Sorry if I spoiled Star Wars for you too. I'll edit my post in a couple hours, so I hope you don't read this before then.

e: I won't be around in 2 hours, so I'll get my edit done now. Synapse, I don't recognize your username or avatar. I do not know who you are or what you are talking about. But if I spoiled Harry Potter for you, I am sorry.

I keep hearing the same spoilers for Harry Potter, and not having read the books or seen the movies, I don't know what is real or not.

I'm not phased by spoilers, generally. I was reading Return of the king, a work colleague came up to me and blurted out exactly what happens at mount doom. I just shrugged.

People are way too sensitive about spoilers. Understand why people would like to be surprised, but if it affects people to the level where they wish death upon those, then maybe they should take a breather from their obsession.

Also 22 and not playing games as much. I struggle to focus on them almost, though I did enjoy Bulletstorm recently. I think part of problem is I love spending time with my GF and going to the gym 4x a week along with an indoor soccer game each week has changed my priorities.

I need to slow down on purchasing since I now limp along finishing games.

To me, the idea of quitting gaming is like the idea of quitting reading or quitting watching movies. Gaming is just one of many leisure activities that I will partake in for the rest of my life.

genjiZERO

I play very games very little now. I just don't enjoy them much anymore. I hate to keep beating on this drum over and over, but it seems like it's just all "shooters" nowadays . . . There are a few exceptions though - Demon's Souls is easily one of the best games I have ever played. Also, I'm extremely excited for Deus Ex, Skyrim and Dark Souls. It's weird - this generation has seemed mostly dull too me . . . until this year. It looks like I may get some gaming in finally.

I've only played PC games for well over a decade. Sometimes I venture into the gaming forum just to see what's up with the rest of the community. Seems interesting but I'm not sure how so many people keep up with gaming nowadays. Unless you're in the industry, it seems impossible to keep up with games on multiple platforms. You got mobile gaming, portable handhelds, browser based games, free to play, consoles and PCs. I literally would have to drop all my other hobbies if I wanted to follow gaming like that.

kassatsu

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
I just game here and there on iOS stuff. My console days are over.

Although every year when a new FIFA or NCAA/Madden come out, I get the itch.
But what if Lumines comes to PSP on PSN!

Asparagus said:
I just recently sold all of my curent gen systems but I still have a NES, DC and Wii hooked up to my TV. The soul still burns for those retro games <3

fake edit - I guess the Wii is current gen as well but I only use it for VC games so I don't really see it as such.

Same here. I'll play Streets of Rage 3, Final Fight 2, Double Dragon NES version

I still go to the arcades to play certain games and still check out the streaming for the fighting games(loved watching the evo stream). I try to hit up racing games like rush,f&f, daytona

SD-Ness

TacticalFox88 said:
If you're an ex gamer...why'd you create an account on a gaming forum?
1) Couldn't he have made it before giving up hames?

2) GAF OT is fucking legendary. Way more eclectic and interesting than a typical gaming board's OT forum.

Alebrije

I am 37 y old married with children. as similar stories I have less time to play so need to be wise when I pick a game. I have 10-15 PS3 videogames (Heavy Rain , MGS4, etc.)

I think these days gaming is not a question of age but choice , so if someone thinks that because he/she is getting older needs to quit this hobby I think its wrong.

Obviously at my age its just a hobby not part of my life, I mean it would not be wise be playing videogames if I do not have a job by example.

So you get older play less but still play. When to quit? hard to say.

If you do not find videogames entertaining anymore be sure its because you have found new hobbies and not because you are getting older and think other guys will see you as a freak.

Marco1

Alebrije said:
I am 37 y old married with children. as similar stories I have less time to play so need to be wise when I pick a game. I have 10-15 PS3 videogames (Heavy Rain , MGS4, etc.)

I think these days gaming is not a question of age but choice , so if someone thinks that because he/she is getting older needs to quit this hobby I think its wrong.

Obviously at my age its just a hobby not part of my life, I mean it would not be wise be playing videogames if I do not have a job by example.

So you get older play less but still play. When to quit? hard to say.

If you do not find videogames entertaining anymore be sure its because you have found new hobbies and not because you are getting older and think other guys will see you as a freak.

I am in the same position but a PC gamer and I agree with all you stated.
It's a hobby, nothing more and if I see another hobby that will give me more satisfaction then gaming will get less time invested in it. But when you're married with kids and working, that free time becomes very precious and you will make damn sure you spend it doing something you enjoy.

Chiave

Gaming is a time sink for me just like television and the internet. I lost a lot of social skills when I became obsessive over gaming, now I'm trying to regain those skills. I missed out on a lot in life because of my habbit and I probably won't quit cold turkey. But I want to get to a point where I'm content with my life, socially at least, before pick up the sticks again. I figure I would use gaming to relax me by that point.

RobertM

TacticalFox88 said:
If you're an ex gamer...why'd you create an account on a gaming forum?
This thread alone shows that most never actually quit gaming, they just spend less time on them.

Prez

SD-Ness said:
1) Couldn't he have made it before giving up hames?

2) GAF OT is fucking legendary. Way more eclectic and interesting than a typical gaming board's OT forum.

Pretty much this.

TwiztidElf

I'm still going to have my 2c, even though it will be lost here at the bottom of the page.

This thead truly is representative of late-gen blues. And the longer this long gen goes, the worse it's going to get.

I must admit, I have a lot of dis-satisfaction with gaming right now. It comes down to late gen blues mostly. This year has been absolutely horrible so far.

Most of my gaming has been board games on iOS (Ticket to Ride is fantastic), and Pinball FX2 on XBLA (damn I've pumped some time into that one).

I'll be closing out franchises with Gears 3, Uncharted 3, and Mass Effect 3, then I won't be buying into any more series. I am really looking forward to Skyrim.

Parch

Life does get in the way of gaming, but never totally killed it for me. Retirement has been awesome for creating the time to get back to frequent gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom