• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-gaming-age: what do you think of videogames now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrkgoo said:
I keep hearing the same spoilers for Harry Potter, and not having read the books or seen the movies, I don't know what is real or not.

I'm not phased by spoilers, generally. I was reading Return of the king, a work colleague came up to me and blurted out exactly what happens at mount doom. I just shrugged.

People are way too sensitive about spoilers. Understand why people would like to be surprised, but if it affects people to the level where they wish death upon those, then maybe they should take a breather from their obsession.
Yeah, the death wish was a bit much, but I'm more shocked that he's remembered it after all these years (or misremembered - I don't recall posting Harry Potter spoilers back in 2005, which is when the 6th book came out) and this is the first time he's written anything about it. Why this thread? Why six years later? I have a feeling synapse is going to disappear as mysteriously as he appeared. Maybe I'll hear from him again six years from now.

also, my last post didn't spoil Harry Potter, so no worries if you do decide to read the book or have kids you're reading the book with

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I reduced my level of gaming drastically. 5-6 years ago, it was my number one expense, and I would sometimes spend my entire waking hours playing video games getting fat and lazy while my girlfriend at the time sat and and raged until she finally had enough and left my pathetic ass. I quit playing video games completely for about a year after that and slowly eased back into it at a much more reasonable level. Now I just use gamefly, I'll receive a new game every week or two, play it till I beat it (which can take 4 hours or 4 weeks depending on how busy I am) and send it back. Other than the rare times a big game I love comes out (when the new elder scrolls comes out for instance i'll be locked in during all my free time), I dont marathon anymore and my xbox will sometimes go several weeks without ever being turned on.

I still love video games. I think they are amazing creations and many are challenging and fascinating and spark levels of imagination and creativity far beyond most TV shows or movies. I encourage all children to play and have even recommended games to students. But they dont consume me the way they used to. In fact, whether I am just getting older and my patience is growing thinner, or games are getting shittier I dont know, but I find more and more games to be incredibly dull. I have been on a streak of games that bored me to tears. Bulletstorm, hunted, fear 3, homefront, crysis 2, dead space 2, red faction Armageddon. They all eventually bored the shit out of me, some sooner than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom