• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

KarmaCow

MatthewB92 said:
I hope they explain how he got that unless they did and I missed it.

It's an offhand comment to the effect of we made a replica for you using uber Machina tech.

Gvaz said:
Sooooo,
what's the difference then? I don't mean how but functionally...

Functionally they're the same. It has the same skills, though I think you get a Monado skill when you get the replica. You can get some quests to get other replica Monados which specialize in different stats like a crit Monado or a blocking Monado.

Leeness

Conrad Link said:
My rifle is getting hot!

I'm cooling down now~

Just finished the (level 25ish, 15 hours in spoilers)
Ether Mines. Lots of story at the end there, wow.

I also had my first rage-quit boss there. :( (boss spoiler)
That first fight with Xord where you need to Chain break and topple him. I probably did it about fifteen times and Sharla would die, and then all my tension would drop and just aagrgrgsfvvgvrg. It made me so mad, haha. I even went and leveled a couple of times, made some gems, got some new armour. It did nothing, it was still hard as shit.

I beat him in the end, though, got a good thing going and finally, finally toppled him and took him down. Felt good man.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Started this game a while back, just now taking the time to really get into it. Love pretty much everything about this game so far.

I'm level 20ish, just getting to
Colony 6
. I thought I'd be over-leveled since I did a bit of grinding but no, everywhere I go I see at least a few enemies that are 5-10, sometimes 20+ levels higher than me, most are around my level.

+ Combat system is best in class. Fast and strategic at the same time, most battles are over in less than a minute, tougher ones are over in 2-3 so far.
+ Open world is awesome, haven't felt so free in a JRPG since DQ8, which I spent over 80 hours playing, this game seems like I might spend more.
+ PAL Voice Acting is hilariously great.
+ Music is amazing.

Back to the game!

Gvaz

Banned
I think so far my favorite part is how predictable the story is, in retrospect. Like even right at the start it gives you clues like

- The monado can't cut living things
- the monado can't cut faced mechon

and the whole time you don't consider the fact that there might be living things (not exactly people but they're alive) inside the faced mechon. Like you toyed with the thought, and went "haha wouldn't it be funny if..." only to find out you were right.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gvaz said:
I think so far my favorite part is how predictable the story is, in retrospect. Like even right at the start it gives you clues like

- The monado can't cut living things
- the monado can't cut faced mechon

and the whole time you don't consider the fact that there might be living things (not exactly people but they're alive) inside the faced mechon. Like you toyed with the thought, and went "haha wouldn't it be funny if..." only to find out you were right.
Actually, I was pretty much completely certain of it right from the first time that clue popped up. :D

Or, actually, it was more like the end of the fight. Like an "ahhh, I see what's going on here" type thing.

Zwei

Anabuhabkuss said:
Anyone in Texas have theirs shipped from GAME? How long did it take?

Yeah, I did.

Ordered the CCPro bundle from GAME. Shipped on August 16th, arrived in Texas on August 24th.

logo-texas-flag.gif

Hiltz

Level 54
111 hours
Valak Mountain and unlocked Shulk and Sharla's 4th skill tree.

I can't wait to get to level 70+ and start kicking high level monster ass.

Oxx

ramyeon said:
That's sad, only like 2 or 3 of these look any good to me :/ I was hoping the designs would get better, not just crazier.

Yeah, most of the designs are a bit OTT. I quite liked the simplicity of some of the
jungle
outfits.

ivysaur12

Banned
Still another 2 weeks before my comes... which is perfect because that's around when production is on a break. Wee!

EDIT: Actually, the 22nd. 8 days! We'll still be in production.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hiltz said:
Level 54
111 hours

Just out of curiosity... what in the world are you doing!? D: I thought I was slow at games...

About 6 hours in.

God damn.

The scene in which Fiora dies genuinely grabbed me, and I'm not usually someone to say that it regards to video game stories or cinematics. We didn't get much of Fiora but in the time she was there, she was a pretty endearing and cute character. I was genuinely surprised - and slightly horrified - to see her stabbed to death.

Can't wait to see what's next. Best overworld theme ever? Maybe.

Ledsen

Hiltz said:
Level 54
111 hours

What in the name of Christ dude? What are you doing with that time? It's like double that of the next slowest guy I've seen.

Antagon

_Alkaline_ said:
About 6 hours in.

God damn.

The scene in which Fiora dies genuinely grabbed me, and I'm not usually someone to say that it regards to video game stories or cinematics. We didn't get much of Fiora but in the time she was there, she was a pretty endearing and cute character. I was genuinely surprised - and slightly horrified - to see her stabbed to death.

Nice thing is that every area has its own overworld theme and variations for day/night. And they're all great.

Gvaz

Banned
What's even better is that's not really a facepalm, that's reyn holding his face after riki literally jumped and bounced off his face.

In that armor.

I lol'd heartily.

CoolS

CoolS said:
Made it through the mountains and now reached
Sword Valley
I am level 53 now and about 55 hours. And after being overleveled for the last 3 or 4 zones, suddenly the enemies are on my level again. Ist that normal?
Got killed by a huge level 53 enemy just now.
Can anyone answer this?

Rich!

Got to Mechonis Field, level 55, 40 hours in! Oh yeeeah!

Spoiler discussion:

The plot twist with Mumkhar being Metal Face and Fiora being alive/Face Nemesis was pretty good. I was absolutely amazed I didn't guess it before - the game explained quite clearly in an early cutscene that the monado cannot harm people. Then straight after, the faced mechon show up - and the monado does nothing to them. I should have guessed there were people inside!

I'm guessing Xord will turn up again...I want to know who he really was.

_Alkaline_ said:
About 6 hours in.

God damn.

didn't even know you were playing it. You're in for a :O after :O

Finalow

richisawesome said:

Spoiler discussion:

The plot twist with Mumkhar being Metal Face and Fiora being alive/Face Nemesis was pretty good. I was absolutely amazed I didn't guess it before - the game explained quite clearly in an early cutscene that the monado cannot harm people. Then straight after, the faced mechon show up - and the monado does nothing to them. I should have guessed there were people inside!

good plot twists but very predictable.

Dascu

richisawesome said:

Spoiler discussion:

About Xord: Talk to the NPC Desirée in Colony 9 a couple of times.

PetrCobra

richisawesome said:

Spoiler discussion:

I believe I've spoken to someone in
Colony 9
who told me a story about this guy, something like
he died in the battle with Mechon
. They mentioned the name but didn't actually know what had happenned to him afterwards.

Edit: beaten :)

MicH

Final party member spoiler
Holy crap Fiora is a BEAST! I'm currently rocking an all girls team playing as Melia and Fiora is rocking the close combat part. Damn! On the other hand, some of the monsters in Sword Valley are STILL hard to beat even after being to Hidden Machina Village and backtracking to complete the map. Maybe I should use Shulk for the most difficult ones. On my way to fight Egil soon.

wazoo

68h in, lev 68.

Quite regular progression. The game continues to amaze me. The lack of clipping and draw distance limits for the environments are pushed to some extreme in the last part of the game. There are always some moments like "I was there in that tiny point in the distance some hours ago" that could not be feeled with Colony 9 and after, where the mountains seemed a good way to cheat the perpective.

Gvaz

Banned
ramyeon said:
They look kinda ridiculous except like MAYBE Shulk and Melia. Sharla especially looks better in the simpler armour than that.
I like cool looking armor more than practical looking armor, especially since I love playing dressup

Anasui Kishibe said:
didn't even know you were playing it. You're in for a :O after :O

I've been tied down with work lately, so GAF is pretty much the only game I've played in the last week or so since I beat Limbo.

It's so nice to get into a JRPG after a big break from them. It doesn't hurt that Xenoblade seems to take almost everything good about the genre and cram it into one game.

Questions about a quest later in the game. I'm level 49.

In Alcamoth, I'm trying to trigger the quest given by Arielle, but I can't get it to. She mention's her daughter's friend...I spoke to both her and the daughter, but is there another link in the chain I need to talk to first? The area is so big and everyone looks the same...

bbsting120 said:
Questions about a quest later in the game. I'm level 49.
If I'm recaling the right NPC and quest here; have you been to (location spoiler)
Valak Mountain yet. The quest needs an item from there so isn't given to you until you've been there. Adventurers in Peril is also triggered by reaching that location (you have to done the preparing for adventure series first). Its quite funny as its like "they're near x" and I'm like "oh well time to find x I guess"

MicH

Does anyone know where I can find
Orions (is that how it's spelled? From a Alcamoth quest) and Vang Milk Tooth in Valak Mountain
?

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
About a boss

Xord. Are you suppose to just hold out? Don't think I can win this, I can get like 1/4 of his HP off.
The only time you actually work on
killing Xord is when you get to the bottom of ether mine.

Top Bottom