• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

RPGCrazied

Mr_Moogle said:
You only really have to execute a chain attack and topple him, you dont actually take all his life off in the first battle against him.

Oh. So you fight him
more than once?

I know you have to topple him, but after I break with shulk it goes to sharla who doesn't have any topple moves?

Should I be having skill books for my characters? I'm still using without them. I have yet to find them. Though skills are pretty much maxed out from what I do have.

Dragon

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Played all night, :lol.

About 17hours, got to Ether Mines. Man, I'm beat. But this game rocks! :p

You just played more in one day than I played in the week and a half I got the game. And I've played about 14 hours. Level 24, about to head to Colony 6.

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Oh. So you fight him
more than once?

I know you have to topple him, but after I break with shulk it goes to sharla who doesn't have any topple moves?

Should I be having skill books for my characters? I'm still using without them. I have yet to find them. Though skills are pretty much maxed out from what I do have.
You should have reyn...who has a topple move. Inflict break with shulk and then the AI should do the topple.

also you fight him
three times total.

finalozzo said:
you are still overlevelled.

what does this mean? Pardon me I am trying to understand RPG's. Does that mean he is over powered? One thing I wanted to understand from videos is that when you kill enemy or mosters in ff or this or any game you get point and level up. since there are so many enemy wouldn't you just fight and fight over and over again so you will be highest level before you even start story game?

Also looking at this game I want zelda type adventure game from xenoblade. It would be very popular I think.

RPGCrazied

Gvaz said:
You should have reyn...who has a topple move. Inflict break with shulk and then the AI should do the topple.

also you fight him
three times total.

I get to choose what my teammates do on a chain. But when I break with shulk it goes to sharla who doesn't have topple and it ends after her, doesn't make it to reyn. Does she not have any topple moves?

Diffense

Well since the last time I posted I hadn't advanced the story and I watched someone who was playing the game with me finish it.
So, I'm no rush now, going to finish up quests because some are lost forever after a certain point.

Diffense

RPGCrazied said:
I get to choose what my teammates do on a chain. But when I break with shulk it goes to sharla who doesn't have topple and it ends after her, doesn't make it to reyn. Does she not have any topple moves?

The chain is executed in the order of the characters in the party menu. So it'd be best to make Rein #2.
The chain shouldn't end after the second character though. When it happened to me someone was toppled or otherwise incapacitated.

crazy monkey said:
what does this mean? Pardon me I am trying to understand RPG's. Does that mean he is over powered? One thing I wanted to understand from videos is that when you kill enemy or mosters in ff or this or any game you get point and level up. since there are so many enemy wouldn't you just fight and fight over and over again so you will be highest level before you even start story game?

Also looking at this game I want zelda type adventure game from xenoblade. It would be very popular I think.

Basically, you've passed the point at which the monsters would be a challenge (except the uniques). The good thing is they won't bother you anymore. The bad thing is that they'll give little reward and you'll probably have to return to grab more items :p

It's not a major issue but some like to keep the story challenging - impossible if you try to do all the sidequests as they give a huge amount of experience.

MicH

RPGCrazied said:
About a boss

Xord. Are you suppose to just hold out? Don't think I can win this, I can get like 1/4 of his HP off.
I had SO much trouble with this guy as well. But yeah, you really have to fill your party gauge so you can perform a chain attack and topple/daze him.

chris121580

Need advice on first true boss:
The gigantic spider...they introduce me how to see the future and break what he's trying to do but I don't think I fully understand it. I keep getting killed quickly. I believe I'm level 12 or 13. Do I need to go grind somewhere to level up before facing him? Also, any advice on what arts to use on the spider would be helpful as well. Thanks

Hiltz

I generally do not like to rush through playing games, especially ones that offer exploration. Besides, I won't be buying a new Wii game until Skyward Sword. Quite frankly, Xenoblade can be pretty time-consuming just spending hours doing a couple of sidequests while searching for the right npc or trying to get the correct weather condition. Despite being slightly overleveled, I have been able to complete most of the sidequests right then and there without having to go back to find items. It's also taken me a while to increase party affinity (only did about half of the heart-to-hearts).Currently ,everyone is at maximum level except the 7th party member who everyone still hates.

RPGCrazied said:

Based on where am I with Sharla, she
does not have topple move, but she does get a move that causes daze.Then she also gets a strong bullet attack but it is most effective when used on enemies that become dazed. If you don't want to wait for a chain attack or don't want to rely on your AI partners to inflict daze, then you can just use Sharla to do it yourself. Reyne and at least 2 other party members can inflict Topple.

Gvaz said:
I hate the jungle outfits, they're ugly

Cool Armor Club

(Characters 1-6 spoiler)

The jungle outfits have been the best ones I have seen so far.

thefro

RPGCrazied said:

You should be able to use your topple move as Reyn (I'm assuming you're controlling him) immediately after the chain attack ends while the boss is still suffering from the break that Shulk inflicted.

Or you can control Shulk as your primary for this battle so that you can do the break --> topple in the chain attack itself. Or you could control Sharla and have Shulk as #2 and Reyn in the #3 spot.

Gvaz

Banned
I have that unique that has an aggro down gem and something else in it.

Riki's weapon I forget but i stuck auto-stealth and double attack gems in it.

Haven't seen any counter attack gems, is that a random proc?

HiddenAway said:
Basically, you've passed the point at which the monsters would be a challenge (except the uniques). The good thing is they won't bother you anymore. The bad thing is that they'll give little reward and you'll probably have to return to grab more items :p

It's not a major issue but some like to keep the story challenging - impossible if you try to do all the sidequests as they give a huge amount of experience.

humm so basically if some one wanted to he can level up the hell out of it in beginning of the gaming hours and than breeze through story. I will look for video like that lol. Thanks.

Gvaz

Banned
That early in the game Shulk deals the most damage so covert eye is going to be on cooldown all the time.

Later in the game if you have an actual tank it's not such a big deal but the AI is too conservative with heals.

Also the AI isn't that great with proper positioning either.

crazy monkey said:
humm so basically if some one wanted to he can level up the hell out of it in beginning of the gaming hours and than breeze through story. I will look for video like that lol. Thanks.

Not really. After you outlevel the mobs they give barely any xp. When they outlevel you, you gain metric tons of xp. The fastest way to level is by doing quests, so there's always going to be a period of Story>queesssssttttssssss>story omg this boss is 10 levels lower than me and I killed him in 15 seconds>less quests>oh hey these mobs are gaining in level to me!>fuck, more quests

Near end game spoilers (lvl 72):
Shit got real with Mechonis getting smashed and Zanza & Dickson going heel. Figured he'd do that though considering they gave obvious hints with Dickson's scenes. Got a Matrix Revolutions-esque vibe from the whole rebirth/fighting destiny deal going on. Shame we never saw more of Lorinthia though. :(

Gvaz said:
That early in the game Shulk deals the most damage so covert eye is going to be on cooldown all the time.

Later in the game if you have an actual tank it's not such a big deal but the AI is too conservative with heals.

Also the AI isn't that great with proper positioning either.

Not really. After you outlevel the mobs they give barely any xp. When they outlevel you, you gain metric tons of xp. The fastest way to level is by doing quests, so there's always going to be a period of Story>queesssssttttssssss>story omg this boss is 10 levels lower than me and I killed him in 15 seconds>less quests>oh hey these mobs are gaining in level to me!>fuck, more quests

yeh you are right. I was thinking about GOD mode for rpgs lol. As suggested to me previously in this game I still need to get chrono trigger on wii first to get in to rpg. I do not know A to z of rpg but this game looks so good in the videos and reading here that I keep coming back to the topic.

Gvaz

Banned
You're better off playing this and reading the tutorials. It's well documented and if you use the information in the (short and informative) tutorial popups you'll do just fine and it won't feel nearly as archaic.

Gvaz said:
You're better off playing this and reading the tutorials. It's well documented and if you use the information in the (short and informative) tutorial popups you'll do just fine and it won't feel nearly as archaic.

Definitely will once it gets here though. :)

MicH

Just got Dunbans fourth skill tree by accident. Pretty cool! Still can't get Shulks from Desirée :( Give me that quest!

I have a general question about equipment later in the game (post 60-65%):

Do I have to settle for the weak, one-slot armor sold at the Hidden Village on the Fallen Arm if I want to damage the Mechon without Enchant? Do the better weapons in the game have the ability to damage the Mechon? I just hate having to put Shulk in my party so I don't have to deal with underpowered weapons with fewer slots. And I suppose I could make a party of Melia/Fiora/Shulk and not have to worry, but then I'd be missing a great tank in Dunban.

SecretMoblin said:
I have a general question about equipment later in the game (post 60-65%):

Do I have to settle for the weak, one-slot armor sold at the Hidden Village on the Fallen Arm if I want to damage the Mechon without Enchant? Do the better weapons in the game have the ability to damage the Mechon? I just hate having to put Shulk in my party so I don't have to deal with underpowered weapons with fewer slots. And I suppose I could make a party of Melia/Fiora/Shulk and not have to worry, but then I'd be missing a great tank in Dunban.
Okay,
Surley you mean weapons? Anyway, better machina weapons are to be had (both U and S sets) but until you get those you're stuck with Monado enchant or using those crappy shop bought ones. One of the NPCs even suggests that you're probably better off with your current equips and Monado enchant.

Starwolf_UK said:
Okay,
Surley you mean weapons? Anyway, better machina weapons are to be had (both U and S sets) but until you get those you're stuck with Monado enchant or using those crappy shop bought ones. One of the NPCs even suggests that you're probably better off with your current equips and Monado enchant.
Yes, sorry, I meant weapons. Thanks for the info!

Someone needs to post how and where to find everyone's additional Skill Trees. I've only found Melia's so far and Ive done enough sidequests to make my eyes bleed awesomeness. All I really care about is Sharla's, Dunban's and Shulkypops.

RPGCrazied

Finally beat
Xord

Man, the cutscenes after that is just mind blowing. I want to know who directed those cinematics. Good job!

Gvaz

Banned
I was bummed my saves from the leak didn't seem to carry over and I was kind of bored of sneaking, again, through ugly detroit so I stopped, started playing Xenoblade and well...

MicH

JumpingTheGun said:
Someone needs to post how and where to find everyone's additional Skill Trees. I've only found Melia's so far and Ive done enough sidequests to make my eyes bleed awesomeness. All I really care about is Sharla's, Dunban's and Shulkypops.
Dunbans is
on Valak Mountains. I believe you only have to do the different kind of Nopons quest. They are scattered throughout the mountains, but there isn't that many. A nopon in the Nopon camp gives the final quest.

Remember the Nopon in a secluded icy cave near the exit to Sword Valley!

Oxx

Mid-game (45-ish hours) spoilers:

High drama on
Prison Island! (even if it was mostly cutscene-based)

That soundtrack doing its job once again. Engage the Enemy <3.

Gvaz

Banned
It's because the whole zone is enormous. Don't swim if you can help it, finding all the viewpoints unlocks the whole map.

jgwhiteus

Gvaz said:
It's because the whole zone is enormous. Don't swim if you can help it, finding all the viewpoints unlocks the whole map.

Wait, what? You mean an area will automatically be fully mapped if you find all landmarks / locations / secret areas? Or just that for Eryth Sea, if you explore enough and hit all of them, your map should be completed anyway without having to swim through every corner?

CoolS

Gvaz said:
If you find all landmarks (unsure about non-landmark areas) you will reveal the entire map.

Yep, you need to find all areas (so every time you get a little exp) to get the full map of a region. Works for every region too.

Top Bottom