• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

6dlrWl.jpg

dFBqbl.jpg

OMG in heaven it's here, and my launch Wii can apparently still play dual-layered discs. Happiness!

Exterminieren said:
I've done Mystery of Makna Ruins 2, and talked to Lupa. She hasn't given me any other quest.
For quest 3, you apparently need 3 star affinity in
Frontier Village

Indyana said:
End of game quest:
I need to know where's the Giants' Knowledge or something similar.
Can you give more information about that end of game quest? As far as I know,
there's a Giant's treasure at Satorl (quest from Nopon Camp), Makna forest (quest from Lupa at Frontier Village) and the final one from Tephra Cave (from Shura, found in one of the new locations).

EDIT

You can "control" other characters in two ways AFAIK:

1. Perform a chain attack with max party gauge. All 3 party members get to perform a move and there's a chance of looping back and continuing.

2. When you get a
vision of the future
, press the relevant button in front of a party member with at least 1 party gauge bar. You get to use one Arts from that party member.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tiktaalik said:
Sanity check: There's no way to switch your controllable character in battle right?

I'm wondering because early in the game, (sub 3 hour mark), when
the mechons invade the colony
the helpful tutorial popup tells you that you can only defeat those baddies by doing an attack that inflicts "break" and then an attack, which would be done by Reyn to inflict "topple." You can get by by just doing the break attack yourself and then waiting until Reyn does his attack that does topple, but I swear the tutorial suggests that you should have more control over the process than that. Maybe I misread it or maybe there was a mistake in the localization. I don't have a save at the spot so I can't go back and check.

This confused me for a bit and I actually got up and carefully looked over the manual, because if this feature exists and I haven't been using it that would be a pretty big oversight!

Later on you will get a way to briefly control the actions of other party members. But if you listen to which attacks they call out or look at the status effects as they pop up on the enemy or by his name bar you can figure it out fairly easily.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Tiktaalik said:
Sanity check: There's no way to switch your controllable character in battle right?

I'm wondering because early in the game, (sub 3 hour mark), when
the mechons invade the colony
the helpful tutorial popup tells you that you can only defeat those baddies by doing an attack that inflicts "break" and then an attack, which would be done by Reyn to inflict "topple." You can get by by just doing the break attack yourself and then waiting until Reyn does his attack that does topple, but I swear the tutorial suggests that you should have more control over the process than that. Maybe I misread it or maybe there was a mistake in the localization. I don't have a save at the spot so I can't go back and check.

This confused me for a bit and I actually got up and carefully looked over the manual, because if this feature exists and I haven't been using it that would be a pretty big oversight!
The game explains it that way because you can control either character by switching them outside battle (obviously). But the AI is usually pretty good about toppling a broken opponent as long as the Art is available to do it, so you don't really need much control there.

Indyana

End of game quest spoilers.
Aveyn Knight said:
Can you give more information about that end of game quest? As far as I know,
there's a Giant's treasure at Satorl (quest from Nopon Camp), Makna forest (quest from Lupa at Frontier Village) and the final one from Tephra Cave (from Shura, found in one of the new locations).
After clearing the
Mechonis Core
new quests appear. In the
Valak Mountain
there's a quest about the
Giant's Treasure
. And you need three things. I don't have the
Giants' knowledge
or something similar.

RPGCrazied

Guess I'm going to grind a bit, wee. There is a lot of quests in the
The Mechon Capital
I hope to level up a few more times on these.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ivysaur12 said:
What's wrong with launch Wiis?
Early Wiis had cheap lasers that could easily get dirty and stop reading dual layer discs. Was a big deal around the time Brawl came out since it was the first dual layer Wii game. Some could be fixed with a cleaning kit, others had to be sent in.

Doesn't seem like a widespread issue though.

ivysaur12

Banned
chaosblade said:
Early Wiis had cheap lasers that could easily get dirty and stop reading dual layer discs. Was a big deal around the time Brawl came out since it was the first dual layer Wii game. Some could be fixed with a cleaning kit, others had to be sent in.

Doesn't seem like a widespread issue though.

So, if my Wii can play Brawl, I'm fine?

hlhbk

I like JRPG's and really play games for great stories. I just preordered this from game in the UK to be shipped to the USA. I hope it's worth the $. Is the game really that good? Is the story good as advertised?

Indyana said:
End of game quest spoilers.

After clearing the
Mechonis Core
new quests appear. In the
Valak Mountain
there's a quest about the
Giant's Treasure
. And you need three things. I don't have the
Giants' knowledge
or something similar.
Okay, then the information I was posted was kind of relevant for your needs.

I'm guessing the "Giant's Knowledge" is the item "Truth of the Giants". You can find it in Tephra cave, by going through the new road in Villa Lake until you find Bafalgar's Tomb (it's just a bit north from Villa Lake). Shura should give you a quest chain that results in you getting this item. Although I should mention the quest requires to fight a Level 80+ boss.

Guys,

Stupid question: is it impossible to rotate the camera manually? I can't figure it out and it's making me crazy
It's the first real game I play since FFXII...

Champomade said:
Guys,

Stupid question: is it impossible to rotate the camera manually? I can't figure it out and it's making me crazy
Are you playing with the Wii remote? You need to first hold the C button on the nunchuck. Then you can move the camera with (I think) the D pad (if I got it wrong, there are button prompts on screen to help you anyway).

Wiseblade

Champomade said:
Guys,

Right analogue stick on the Classic controller. I don't think you can with Wiimote + Nunchuck though.

EDIT: C + Analogue, says so in the manual.

Aveyn Knight said:
Are you playing with the Wii remote? You need to first hold the C button on the nunchuck. Then you can move the camera with (I think) the D pad (if I got it wrong, there are button prompts on screen to help you anyway).

Right analogue stick on the Classic controller. I don't think you can with Wiimote + Nunchuck though.

EDIT: C + Analogue, says so in the manual.

Thanks!
I just bought the wii for this game, i guess i will buy a classic controller next

Zornica

Banned
Champomade said:
Guys,

(hold) C + D pad. or tap the C button once to center the camera behind you. when in combat press C to lock the camera onto your target.

CoolS

hlhbk said:
I like JRPG's and really play games for great stories. I just preordered this from game in the UK to be shipped to the USA. I hope it's worth the $. Is the game really that good? Is the story good as advertised?

Yes the game is really THAT good, basically everybody loves it so far. It is a real masterpiece (and I rarely use that word)

As for the story, I am 65 hours in and imo it just keeps getting better. Another new part just opened up for me and I am fascinated by the whole world and everything it contains. And for the first time ever I don't have to go facepalm at the story or the characters, they are all great (with one arguable exception).

You will really love it if you like JRPGs.

RPGCrazied

Unless the ending is trash or stupid, this is my favorite jRPG this generation, maybe all time. Question about a weapon.

Does the Manado only transform once?

RPGCrazied said:
Unless the ending is trash or stupid, this is my favorite jRPG this generation, maybe all time. Question about a weapon.

Does the Manado only transform once?
Monado III is the best version.

RPGCrazied

BlazingDarkness said:
Just reached
Mechonis
Field, level 63, done around
sidequests, and at 95 hours on the clock

Oh man the music is awesome here

I beat you. :p Of course I don't have a life. lol. Don't have that much time on the game clock though. Only 65hours.

Rich!

RPGCrazied said:
I beat you. :p Of course I don't have a life. lol. Don't have that much time on the game clock though. Only 65hours.

I finished the game at 60 hours...and yeah, I work 40 hour weeks and live with my girlfriend who HATES the game (lol).

How did I manage it? No sleep. Oh yes. I slept for an hour the night before last, woke up at 1am, and played until 10am when I finished it. Not the first night like that, but alas its the only time I get to use the TV here

now...for rest.

RPGCrazied

richisawesome said:
I finished the game at 60 hours...and yeah, I work 40 hour weeks and live with my girlfriend who HATES the game (lol).

How did I manage it? No sleep. Oh yes. I slept for an hour the night before last, woke up at 1am, and played until 10am when I finished it. Not the first night like that, but alas its the only time I get to use the TV here

now...for rest.

Well, right now, no job. :p And no other half, so I have plenty of free time. Its nice to sit and play Xenoblade all day. Which I've been doing.

Rich!

RPGCrazied said:
Well, right now, no job. :p And no other half, so I have plenty of free time. Its nice to sit and play Xenoblade all day. Which I've been doing.

That's what I'm gonna have when Zelda comes out for just one week. And it will be glorious.

Daante

Like what im playing so far, (lvl 20) , feels as the story and the game grows more and more.
The battle system is also really good!

Help! I decided to have a look around the official UK website for the game and I noticed the sound samples near the bottom of the page. The first 2 I can figure out where they're from but I can't remember hearing sample 3 anywhere in the game and I've finished it :p.

Anyone know where it comes from because it's going to bug me now!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii/xenoblade_chronicles_32583.html

Edit: Never mind. It's "Unfinished Battle" and only used (presumably) in a scene about a quarter of the way into the game.

A shame really, because it's great to listen to...

Hiltz

BlazingDarkness said:
Just reached
Mechonis
Field, level 63, done around
sidequests, and at 95 hours on the clock

Oh man the music is awesome here

I'm headed there myself.
Level 66
165 hours

Just finished up the quest to unlock the 4th skill tree for the last party member. It's good to hear that there's some more great music to look forward to in the next area. The battle music in
Fallen Arm
was terrific.

jgwhiteus

So I finished the game today, slightly over 100 hours in, lv. 95 characters, all locations at 5 stars, (mid-game location spoiler)
Colony 6 at lv. 5
, all the sidequests I'd seen completed, though I definitely missed some.

Whoa at some of the ending plot points - I definitely didn't see them coming, though they're something you'd expect from Monolithsoft. Despite that, I think this is probably their tightest, most polished, and least convoluted game plot-wise - it has less crazy ambition and scope than Xenogears or Xenosaga (though as you play throughout you'll definitely notice the similarities in motifs and themes, so changing the game's name from "Monado" to "Xenoblade" was a fair one, I think), and instead tries to focus more on telling its story well. And that's a good thing.

Overall, just a great game - definitely RPG of the generation for me, really of the past two generations - haven't enjoyed an RPG this much as a complete package since Xenogears on the PS1. Fun battle system with good challenge, even at higher levels, addictive loot / monster drops, strongly presented plot with some surprising and interesting twists, great music, and gorgeous explorable environments of awesome size and scope.

Biggest weak point is an overwhelming number of (optional) sidequests, too many of which are simply "fetch this, fight 5 of these, run around and hope you collect 10 of these" - I'd have liked 100 or 200 fewer quests, and more of an emphasis on the stronger quests that fleshed out the dynamics of the world and hinted at its history and its civilizations, or gave insight into the characters. They could also have made the quest / NPC system more user-friendly (the same goes for the menus and gem and equipment management), though I appreciate the features they included like fast-travel, changing the time, and not having to go back to quest givers for certain types of quests.

Wouldn't mind another game in this universe / mythology. Major spoilers, meant only for those who've completed the game:
maybe a "Caprica" type prequel on Klaus's Earth, and exploring what influenced his creations? I don't know, I got a very BSG vibe from the ending; it also reminded me a bit of Xenogears, with Fei's earlier life as a scientist. Or maybe something similar to Baten Kaitos: Origins, going some years back or to earlier civilizations such as the Giants / White Spiders, or to earlier "cycles".

Also, a question about New Game+:
the tutorial said to try exploring different party members in order to change affinities, and seemed to suggest it would have an impact on plot alternatives? Did I read that wrong? Does anyone know if the plot changes at all - e.g., whether Shulk ends up with Fiora or Melia? And I didn't really understand the explanation about the new "True Monado" weapon and making sure to have it equipped if you clear the game again.

Which reminds me, is there a "spoiler tag-free" / post-game discussion / review thread for this game, e.g. the Japanese release?

KarmaCow

Anabuhabkuss said:
Game is a tad overwhelming at first. 3 hours in and I've arrived at the
cave to get fuel[/spoiker].

About leveling up (arts/talents etc). Any suggestions?
Get level up Shulk's Heal and pretty much whatever you use.

jgwhiteus

KarmaCow said:
Get level up Shulk's Heal and pretty much whatever you use.

Yeah, I think if I were doing it again, I'd focus on maxing out only the Arts I actually use, and not leveling up the rest at all. There are only a limited number of AP points you can get in a first run-through, and you definitely won't use every Art (you can only put a limited number in your "pallette" anyway).

Anabuhabkuss said:
I guess I should have reworded my question:

Are there ideal roles to assign each character? So Reyn as Aggro, Shulk as attack and Fiora as healer or something...
There's no real healer until you get the fourth character, Shulk's heal is the best you'll get

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anabuhabkuss said:

Are there ideal roles to assign each character? So Reyn as Aggro, Shulk as attack and Fiora as healer or something...
Yes, different characters definitely have their own strengths due to stat growth and arts. Plus their arts will give you an idea of what their strengths are and what their role should be in battle. Reyn gets a lot of arts that build and keep aggro and has very high defense and hitpoints, so that makes him a good tank, for example. It's pretty obvious who is good at what as you work your way through the game.

HiddenAway said:
Help! I decided to have a look around the official UK website for the game and I noticed the sound samples near the bottom of the page. The first 2 I can figure out where they're from but I can't remember hearing sample 3 anywhere in the game and I've finished it :p.

Anyone know where it comes from because it's going to bug me now!

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/wii/xenoblade_chronicles_32583.html

Edit: Never mind. It's "Unfinished Battle" and only used (presumably) in a scene about a quarter of the way into the game.

A shame really, because it's great to listen to...
Yeah, that's a great song, wish it was used more than once. I liked that particular scene though.

McNum

Anabuhabkuss said:

The ideal role for each character is somewhat obvious from how the AI plays them. Look up the tutorial section for each character, too. They'll explain their strengths and weaknesses. For those three, Shulk is the allrounder, he does okay damage, and has a heal. Reyn is the tank, he can take a lot and he draws aggro. Fiora is DPS, a rogue, basically. Let Reyn grab aggro, maneuver Shulk for a backslash and let Fiora do what she does.

TDLink

RPGCrazied said:
Any old zones with mid level 60 stuff? I don't remember. I do remember lots of 90's and 70's.

If you are after
Agniratha
then go to Colony 6, lots of mid 60 stuff there.

If you haven't finished that yet then probably just the enemies inside of
Agniratha

I have a question about quests, I'm only a few hours into the game.

I have just triggered the scene where the Mechon attack, and obviously all my quests went away. Will I be able to complete these later, or should I reload and finish all those quests first?

Thanks!

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I have a question about quests, I'm only a few hours into the game.

I have just triggered the scene where the Mechon attack, and obviously all my quests went away. Will I be able to complete these later, or should I reload and finish all those quests first?

Thanks!

You can finish them all later

Wiseblade

Is there a list anywhere for which items are best for raising character's affinities? My
Riki and Melia
aren't that close to anyone.

Top Bottom