• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

waytofailself

Neo Member
Just got to the final boss, although
I haven't made it past phase 2 yet because I think I need to gain one or two more levels.

There's a lot to say about what I've seen so far, but I'll leave it at this:
it is a very nice touch to see what I can only assume is Xord (based on the voice) coming back to smash a Telethia. Very nice to see the faced mechon all fighting with the Homs now.

In fact, if anything it is very satisfying to play a game that pulls off the idea that "those who you thought were good at the beginning? not so much" so well. I can't think of a game that did it this effectively that I've played from this generation. I'm sure there is one, but I can't think of it.

MicH

waytofailself said:
There's a lot to say about what I've seen so far, but I'll leave it at this:
it is a very nice touch to see what I can only assume is Xord (based on the voice) coming back to smash a Telethia. Very nice to see the faced mechon all fighting with the Homs now.
Yeah, what was that about? (ENDGAME SPOILER)
I thought he died, but apparently not (based on the final scenes in the Ether Mine). You could also tell it was Xord because he had hammers to smash the Telethia. Great touch

Gvaz

Banned
MicH said:
I thought he died, but apparently not (based on the final scenes in the Ether Mine). You could also tell it was Xord because he had hammers to smash the Telethia. Great touch
actually all those were the same, it was the pause and the stare that gave it away

MicH

Gvaz said:
actually all those were the same, it was the pause and the stare that gave it away
I was just about to write that in, but then was in doubt. Cool anyway :p

EDIT: Another thought (still endgame spoilers)
You are fighting Xords spirit in the solarsystem. Are we sure that the faced Mechon smashing the Telethia is Xord and not just a random mechon?

Carlisle

So after 5 unanswered messages to the message centre over the last week, I decided to place a call to The Hut and see if I could get some help that way.

First of all, holy crap is that accent hard to understand over the phone. I have friends from across the pond, but there's a huge difference between conversing in person and over the phone. Learned something new I guess.

Anyway, their solution is to trace the package. But in order to do this they're going to mail me a self declaration form which I have to sign and mail/fax back to them. Once they get that they can run the trace and issue a replacement or refund if it's proven that the shipment has been lost.

Sounds kinda weird to me, especially with others like RPGCrazied getting refunded right away. Has anyone else had to do anything like this before?

waytofailself

Neo Member
Three points now that the game is over for me:

Early game spoiler (post Ether Mine):
did anyone else feel kind of bad when using Dunban that he would walk around and do everything with a limp arm. I mean swimming. I mean climbing. Everything. He's a badass, but I still kinda felt bad.

Final Boss Battle Spoiler: You know how when you let the title screen go it shows different locations,
do you think it will show the last shots of the solar system as you're approaching zanza?

Game Ending Spoiler:
Is it just me, or is the North American original title for the game, Monado: Beginning of the World, a massive spoiler? Ha.

richisawesome said:
Of course, but
the way I see it, the creators still view it as an experiment and handle it as such

Just beat the game. Curious: what do you make of
Alvis' line that the universe was destroyed due to one man's curiosity. Sounds to me like everything got blown up and destroyed.
Then again, this is coming from a guy who, when he beat FF7, thought
all mankind had been wiped out from the planet and that only the animals inherited the earth -- I kind of wish it had stayed that way to be honest.

As for my thoughts on beating the game. I've got one thing to say: it might very well be the great game I have ever played. That's spanning all the way back to Atari days. It really did have everything I wanted in a game. Nintendo of America should be ashamed of themselves
were they really butthurt about all of the "world without a God" stuff. I mean, did NCL they PLAY or KNOW ABOUT Xenogears before purchasing Monolithsoft?

As for the ending itself:
Kind of a few weird twists, but I wasn't entire shocked about Zanza and Meyneth -- though I assumed while playing that it was all stuff that happened in the past that was being shown by Alvis. Walking through the Solar System was cool -- even if it did get spoiled for me on accident.

Well, finished it in 56 hours, which is the lowest I've seen of anyone posting here. But I also did 0 endgame side quests and did 0 colony 6 rebuilding things. Now I can play through again and work on building affinity etc.

I can keep going on about how great this game is. On and on and on and on.

Gvaz

Banned
nvm you fixed it
emot-frogbon.gif

Dragon

Banned
Guys I'm kind of disappointed. Spoilers after prison island:
i predicted the Lady Meylbeth or whatever was Fiora as soon as I talked to someone in Colony 9 that takes about xorg. :/. Are there any surprises left besides the inevitable Alvis betrayal?

TheBranca18 said:
i predicted the Lady Meylbeth or whatever was Fiora as soon as I talked to someone in Colony 9 that takes about xorg. :/. Are there any surprises left besides the inevitable Alvis betrayal?
Yes.

waytofailself

Neo Member
TheBranca18 said:
Yes, there are plenty of surprises.

I'll agree that the story is a bit predictable for the most part -- but it's so well told I ended up not really caring. general plot device spoiler:
I guess part of it is because everything is foreshadowed so well.

Diffense

RPGCrazied said:
Where is
Mechonis
Field? Maybe I haven't got there yet, but need to go for a quest.

You can't miss it so you haven't been there yet.

I need someone to make sense of some endgame things.
spoilers spoilers spoilers if you haven't beaten the game.

So am I correct in assuming that when Zanza destroyed the universe only himself, mayneth and the computer (alvis) survived? And somehow, in the new universe alvis controls not just the space station but the entire fabric of reality. However, being a computer, he has no firm will of his own and is bound to act in behalf of anyone possessing a monado? I suppose Zanza and Meyneth got theirs from being the only survivors of what transpired on the space station. Not sure how/why Shulk, one of Zanza's creations, got one at the 11th hour in the battle with Zanza.

I think I'll have to wait for someone to put up a wiki with a plausible theory that ties together everything in the story.
Maybe I should try to youtube the earlier cutscenes.
Because there are things that feel suspiciously like plot holes to me...lol

As for my thoughts on beating the game. I've got one thing to say: it might very well be the great game I have ever played. That's spanning all the way back to Atari days. It really did have everything I wanted in a game.
Nintendo of America should be ashamed of themselves were they really butthurt about all of the "world without a God" stuff. I mean, did NCL they PLAY or KNOW ABOUT Xenogears before purchasing Monolithsoft?

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
had VERY similar themes and we got that one.
I think NOA's treatment of this game will forever remain a mysery.

flyover

RPGCrazied said:
Where is
Mechonis
Field? Maybe I haven't got there yet, but need to go for a quest.
Yeah. You'll know when you're there. I had the same thought as you when I got the quest(s) for it! I love the way you're cruising through this game. I thought I was putting a lot of time into it when I played...

Gvaz

Banned
Diffense said:
So am I correct in assuming that when Zanza destroyed the universe only himself, mayneth and the computer (alvis) survived? And somehow, in the new universe alvis controls not just the space station but the entire fabric of reality. However, being a computer, he has no firm will of his own and is bound to act in behalf of anyone possessing a monado? I suppose Zanza and Meyneth got theirs from being the only survivors of what transpired on the space station. Not sure how/why Shulk, one of Zanza's creations, got one at the 11th hour in the battle with Zanza.
It wasn't at the
11th hour, there was a lot of scenes that was leading up to it. How else would shulk be able to use the monado's power without having a monado. He was close to the edge and just hadn't been pushed over yet.

Also Alvis held Zanza's monados in place when he had the chance, so he wasn't completely powerless.

Duderz

Banned
I was up until about 6:30AM playing this game last night - looked out the window and saw there was daylight coming in and thought I had better turn the game off. It's been many, many years since I've done that, but then it has also been many years since I've played a Takahashi game. While this one is definitely more gameplay focused than Xenogears and Xenosaga, I just got bombarded but what felt like at least 2 hours worth of story and plot twists, and I have a few questions that were not clear to me. That said, if you're NOT SEEING LEVEL 70 ENEMIES REGULARLY DO NOT HIGHLIGHT.

1. Just how old is Dickson? If he's Zanza's disciple, he must be many, many years old, right? He's sole purpose was to keep an eye on the heir to the Monado? I knew he was going to be a bad guy, every scene he's in they end with him in some sort of intriguing / mysterious fashion, but the scope of his role in the overall story suddenly just jumped really high, which I thought was unexpected.

2. So Zanza is the god of Bionis and Meyneth is the god of Mechonis. At first they were friends, building their own worlds and own peoples, but Zanza just decides to create the Monado that doesn't hurt anyone on Bionis and can kill Meyneth and Mechonis just....because? And when he is imprisoned on Prison Island, whoever wields the Monado is basically given his powers which will ultimately lead to his freedom and rebirth?

3. Basically the YOUAREALREADYDEAD.jpg applies to Shulk? He died many years ago as a child, but only because he was near to the Monado, Zanza and Dickson chose him to be the wielder to the Monado, thus resurrected him, and as a result all during the game you're essentially playing a vessel to Zanza...right?

I know I had more questions, but I can't really think of them right now. I'm just about to enter the inner Bionis, so if any of these are answered or clarified, just let me know.

Diffense

Gvaz said:
It wasn't at the
11th hour, there was a lot of scenes that was leading up to it. How else would shulk be able to use the monado's power without having a monado. He was close to the edge and just hadn't been pushed over yet.

Also Alvis held Zanza's monados in place when he had the chance, so he wasn't completely powerless.

Yeah, I know the game was bullding up to it.
But, of all Zanza's creations, why is Shulk chosen by Alvis to wield a third monado?
The best theory I have is that he had an uncanny will to live and an unwillingness to submit to the will of Zanza.
Though the game makes Shulk seem very "special" its not entirely clear to me why this dead-man-walking had more power than anyone else even after Dickson shot him, Zanza departed, and he re-died (lol).

waytofailself

Neo Member
Duderz said:
I was up until about 6:30AM playing this game last night - looked out the window and saw there was daylight coming in and thought I had better turn the game off. It's been many, many years since I've done that, but then it has also been many years since I've played a Takahashi game. While this one is definitely more gameplay focused than Xenogears and Xenosaga, I just got bombarded but what felt like at least 2 hours worth of story and plot twists, and I have a few questions that were not clear to me. That said, if you're NOT SEEING LEVEL 70 ENEMIES REGULARLY DO NOT HIGHLIGHT.

1. Just how old is Dickson? If he's Zanza's disciple, he must be many, many years old, right? He's sole purpose was to keep an eye on the heir to the Monado? I knew he was going to be a bad guy, every scene he's in they end with him in some sort of intriguing / mysterious fashion, but the scope of his role in the overall story suddenly just jumped really high, which I thought was unexpected.

2. So Zanza is the god of Bionis and Meyneth is the god of Mechonis. At first they were friends, building their own worlds and own peoples, but Zanza just decides to create the Monado that doesn't hurt anyone on Bionis and can kill Meyneth and Mechonis just....because? And when he is imprisoned on Prison Island, whoever wields the Monado is basically given his powers which will ultimately lead to his freedom and rebirth?

3. Basically the YOUAREALREADYDEAD.jpg applies to Shulk? He died many years ago as a child, but only because he was near to the Monado, Zanza and Dickson chose him to be the wielder to the Monado, thus resurrected him, and as a result all during the game you're essentially playing a vessel to Zanza...right?

I know I had more questions, but I can't really think of them right now. I'm just about to enter the inner Bionis, so if any of these are answered or clarified, just let me know.

A lot of it is going to get answered. I'm putting the tag for other reader's benefit but I won't post anything that spoils it for where you are at in the story (lv 70-75 spoilers).

1. Yeah, I liked the Dickson reveal as well. That's all I'll say right now.

2. You're on the right track, but don't forget that Mayneth had a Monado too. That's why Zanza leaves the Mechonis wielding two swords and why Firoa no longer has a red jewel on her chest. And also, you may have missed this point but during the first Prison Island scene when the Monado is unlocked it gains the power to hurt both life on mechonis and life on bionis. That's why they kept referring to it as a "double edged sword."

3. Sucks to be Shulk, doesn't it? And don't forget, it's not so much that Shulk died, it's more like Zanza needed the energy of everyone else in the room. That's why there's no one there instead of corpses.

You have a lot to look forward to!

waytofailself

Neo Member
Diffense said:
Yeah, I know the game was bullding up to it.
But, of all Zanza's creations, why is Shulk chosen by Alvis to wield a third monado?
The best theory I have is that he had an uncanny will to live and an unwillingness to submit to the will of Zanza.
Though the game makes Shulk seem very "special" its not entirely clear to me why this dead-man-walking had more power than anyone else even after Dickson shot him, Zanza departed, and he re-died (lol).
Don't forget that Alvis gives Shulk a choice and says that he is interested to see what choice he makes. When he makes the choice to not let Zanza have the world, that's when he's bestowed the True Monado.

But then again, he was also getting the power flowing through him anyway. Insert power of togetherness etc here -- notice the beams of light coming from everyone to make the True Monado (it's in the scene for a split second).

Edit: didn't Alvis also tell him at some point to find his "true monado?" I don't remember when that was or in what context.

Gvaz

Banned
If you're gonna say it just abbreviate it then all the shleps wont know what the location is unless they already know, which in that case there's no real spoilering going on.

TDLink

Seems like an easy solution to just say "Makna" or "Eryth" without saying the second parts of the names that give away the locale. Just based on those names alone nothing is really given away.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So has anyone figured out a way how to get the title screen as an animated background for an android? Would fit perfectly since it's widescreen panning

Duderz

Banned
waytofailself said:
A lot of it is going to get answered. I'm putting the tag for other reader's benefit but I won't post anything that spoils it for where you are at in the story (lv 70-75 spoilers).

1. Yeah, I liked the Dickson reveal as well. That's all I'll say right now.

2. You're on the right track, but don't forget that Mayneth had a Monado too. That's why Zanza leaves the Mechonis wielding two swords and why Firoa no longer has a red jewel on her chest. And also, you may have missed this point but during the first Prison Island scene when the Monado is unlocked it gains the power to hurt both life on mechonis and life on bionis. That's why they kept referring to it as a "double edged sword."

3. Sucks to be Shulk, doesn't it? And don't forget, it's not so much that Shulk died, it's more like Zanza needed the energy of everyone else in the room. That's why there's no one there instead of corpses.

You have a lot to look forward to!

Awesome, glad to hear. How many hours left do you think I have? I'm done with the sidequests, and am ready to wrap the game up.

Gvaz

Banned
Duderz said:
Awesome, glad to hear. How many hours left do you think I have? I'm done with the sidequests, and am ready to wrap the game up.
Are you sure? did you check the spreadsheet? Did you finish the
construction
?

If so, then I'd say about 3-5 more hours tops.

RPGCrazied

This boss is pissing me off.

I'm level 60.

At the end of Mechonis Field. I think I know who it is, but its a giant Mechon. I have to what looks like reach him at the end of the hall. Trying to reach him I have to fight other mechon while he nukes me from far away.

Is there a trick to this?

Rich!

MicH said:

I don't think it was him, just a random one. I mean, he was fucking destroyed.

oh and obviously the spirit you fight in outer space proves this, along with mumkhar and gadolt

Gvaz

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
This boss is pissing me off.

I'm level 60.

At the end of Mechonis Field. I think I know who it is, but its a giant Mechon. I have to what looks like reach him at the end of the hall. Trying to reach him I have to fight other mechon while he nukes me from far away.

Is there a trick to this?

Yes, hide behind the walls and he wont ever hit you. then when you're close mad dash him and start wailing on him

RPGCrazied

Gvaz said:
Yes, hide behind the walls and he wont ever hit you. then when you're close mad dash him and start wailing on him

Oh! lol. Thanks, I was wondering why those walls were there. I thought maybe to start the next wave of mechon.

RPGCrazied said:
Oh! lol. Thanks, I was wondering why those walls were there. I thought maybe to start the next wave of mechon.

You're further than me in the game now :x

I'm at 90 hours and just reached the hidden village, not been able to play as much this week

Rich!

RPGCrazied said:

Just on a similar topic (be careful about highlighting this, it's the boss after the one you're on - although by now, you obviously know who it is)

The fight with Egil (in his face mech) was an awesome switcheroo. ha. With that epic music, it really felt like THE FINAL BATTLE OF THE GAME. Obviously though...it really, really was not.

Phenomic said:
http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/staffBlog/top.html

I want this also, where do I get my own Heropon plush!
IIRC, its making instructions are in the secret files book. (remember if you quote this post you'll probably see unmarked spoilers)

waytofailself said:
Edit: didn't Alvis also tell him at some point to find his "true monado?" I don't remember when that was or in what context.
(going on with spoilers; don't read unless you've finish the game)
The first time at least was
Tephra cave. "If you can find the true Monado; the future is yours"
. But I'm sure there more.

(going on with spoilers; don't read unless you've finish the game) Another neat thing I noticed along those lines was
The Telethia in Manka Forest. Given we see Alvis flying on one just after the Ether Mines and the fact Alvis turns up as soon its spawn does. Coincide? I think not. Not to mention unlocking Monado Purge (and using the Monado itself). I think Alvis has a clear motive in those actions (since ultimately Zanza's cycle uses Telethia to purge all life on Bionis). Another neat thing is the conversation after that battle he also mentions it being able to disturb the fabric of existence; in both the material and immaterial...

waytofailself

Neo Member
RPGCrazied said:
Now I am using Sharla. Its nice to have more heals. Just want to see more heart to hearts, so I benched Dunban.
Strategically, if you're looking for ways to get healing without having Sharla in there, you might want to consider linking Shulk's skill for heal after a chain attack to everybody and Dunban's skill that gives heals on critical hits. they're expensive, but if you can base your strategy around filling up the party gauge super fast then all you really need is Shulk's light heal for the rest of the game.

MechaX

Phew. With all of the Prison Island stuff, I kinda don't even want to move the story ahead for a little bit. Time to complete a shit load of these quests that I have been putting off.

Also, Shulk is going to get benched for a minute. Team Melia-Reyn-Riki go!

Duderz

Banned
Gvaz said:
Are you sure? did you check the spreadsheet? Did you finish the
construction
?

If so, then I'd say about 3-5 more hours tops.

Can I finish the
construction
in the
endgame?

waytofailself

Neo Member
ElTopo said:
Not necessarily.
I'm pretty sure that all the material that can be found on Mechonis can be found in different ways, e.g. you can trade for. That aside I'd definitely recommend to get all materials while you can, because getting them later is pretty...tiresome.
Ha, just looked it up on the spreadsheet and you are indeed correct.

Just need to trade, which means getting your affinity up the locations pretty high.

Hiltz

I love how this game gives you glorious views of the environments. The one at
Fallen Arm
is quite beautiful and really high too.

Ideally I'd like to play as
Melia with Fiora and Dunban in my party but it probably wouldn't be effective due to the lack of healing and debuff party arts.

udivision

So... the backlash. It's not coming for this game, is it? This isn't one of those GAF-Hype -> GAF-Hate games, is it?

I really have to buy this down the road, don't I?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Question:

Gem Crafting; I am only at the beginning of the game when the gem crafting opens up for business.

The tutorial was rubbish...am I suppose to use canisters and gems together or just gems together and canisters only if other canisters or a mix of the two?

Is it worth crafting gems at this early stage or is it better to wait till a latter point in the game?

I tried crafting but the flame was not that great and I ended up just creating a canister iirc.

Duderz

Banned
udivision said:
So... the backlash. It's not coming for this game, is it? This isn't one of those GAF-Hype -> GAF-Hate games, is it?

I really have to buy this down the road, don't I?

Yes, you do.

F#A#Oo said:
Question:

Gem Crafting; I am only at the beginning of the game when the gem crafting opens up for business.

The tutorial was rubbish...am I suppose to use canisters and gems together or just gems together and canisters only if other canisters or a mix of the two?

Is it worth crafting gems at this early stage or is it better to wait till a latter point in the game?

I tried crafting but the flame was not that great and I ended up just creating a canister iirc.

This post helped me a lot:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30785941&postcount=10954

Top Bottom