• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PC Performance discussion

mbmonk

mrklaw said:
Isn't the point of drivers that the game is coded to them, rather than this reverse situation?

I have a very rudimentary level of understanding of this topic, but as I understand it the programmers use an API, like DirectX, and then the video card makers have to support that API. How video card manufactures actually implement the solution is up to them.

I could be WAY off here. If so I apologize.

This may have been covered so I apologize.

However, is the in-game vsync triple buffered? Or does it make sense to disable it and use D3DOverrider?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
lol - suprise - game is totally broken/unomptimized

GPUS : untapped - plenty to spare
VRAM : untapped - plenty to spare
RAM : untapped - plenty to spare
CPU : untapped - plenty to spare

capturenu89l.png

FPS?

tesv2011-11-1116-25-4sr8me.png

coopolon

Durante said:
Fixing mouse sontrols takes all of 15 seconds:
1) copy paste "iPresentInterval=0" in "[Display]" in Skyrim.ini
2) set "bMouseAcceleration=0" in SkyrimPrefs.ini

What about sensitivity? I have my DPI set to max and it still feels pretty sluggish.

Is it just me or is vertical mouse sensitivity much lower than horizontal sensitivity?

I couldn't find separate settings in the ini. :(

Rhythmic

Thinking about getting this.

I am running
AMD II x3 @ 2.9
2gigs ram
ati 4670
win 7

Worth grabbing the pc version? Am I going to be able to run the game decent enough to enjoy it?

mbmonk

If you play with the 360 controller do you still have the issue about the X and Y axis scaling differently? To put it simpler it takes you longer to look up and down than side to side. I assume this problem still exists but I am asking just to verify.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
@Corky (you have CF 6950's or GTX GPU's ?)

That is just pathetic. So much fail. Or someone tell me that they messed something up and are not this incompetent? The game runs, that's about it. Nothing more than that. I know the game is big but come one now, you can't even properly work the PC version that has the most passionate fans?

ctrayne

LiquidMetal14 said:
That is just pathetic. So much fail. Or someone tell me that they messed something up and are not this incompetent? The game runs, that's about it. Nothing more than that. I know the game is big but come one now, you can't even properly work the PC version that has the most passionate fans?
We dun got fucked again!

I was thinking about picking up my pre-order today, but maybe I will get a refund and wait for the crap flakes to settle. :(

Davedough

I've got about 3 hours logged and the game seems to run pretty smooth. I can't run it on full settings but have it on its "high" setting when it does that launch discovery. I still need to capture the FPS to know exactly how its performing.

i5 Intel lynnfield processor
4gb ram
Nvidia HTC 460 1gb

coopolon

Am I not loading a texture or is this really what snow covered boards look like? I'm not being nit picky, if it's how it's supposed to be I can live with it, but I'm thinking I'm actually missing textures. Apologies for the steam compression, lazy.

6D9A9C93C67E660BBA7F351A49B7039845F0DCF0

thefil

LiquidMetal14 said:

It's pretty bad.
VSync on = unplayable mouse lag
VSync off = incorrect X/Y scaling

Basically there is no way to get working mouse input in this game.

Wichu

Treemonkeys said:
Is it just me or is vertical mouse sensitivity much lower than horizontal sensitivity?

I couldn't find separate settings in the ini. :(
The vertical sensitivity depends on your framerate or something. Don't ask me why.

Corky

LiquidMetal14 said:

I have two 560 tis @ "570 speeds", also OC doesn't even matter, tried default settings and got the same fps. Fuck me for being stupid enough to buy a bethesda game day 1. What was I thinking? And my i7 2600k is already at 4.5 and as you can see I'm neither gpu nor cpu bound. The game just sucks.

coopolon

Corky said:
I have two 560 tis @ "570 speeds", also OC doesn't even matter, tried default settings and got the same fps. Fuck me for being stupid enough to buy a bethesda game day 1. What was I thinking? And my i7 2600k is already at 4.5 and as you can see I'm neither gpu nor cpu bound. The game just sucks.

It still plays fine, and I'm only a few hours in but it is starting off a hell of a lot better than Oblivion did. I agree, technically it's a mess but it seems like there's still a pretty great game here.

Soi-Fong

Corky said:

Damn... Maybe I should just get the PS3 version.

Well, I'll be building a new computer soon so hopfeully Bethesda gets their act together.

Corky

Soi-Fong said:

Well, I'll be building a new computer soon so hopfeully Bethesda gets their act together.

Don't let my testimonies get in the way of your purchase though. I'm sure I'm the minority.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
lol - suprise - game is totally broken/unomptimized

GPUS : untapped - plenty to spare
VRAM : untapped - plenty to spare
RAM : untapped - plenty to spare
CPU : untapped - plenty to spare

~80% GPU usage...I've seen worse. Not so bad, honestly. I think we're going to see a lot of driver level improvements for this game.

mbmonk

Corky said:

Seeing a list of problems and this listening to this interview from Todd Howard is laughable.

I have a gtx 580, i7 2600k at 3,4 Ghz and 8gb DDR3, and the game runs at 60 fps most of the time. When in towns it can drop alittle bit though. Most things on ultra, although I toned down the aliasing a little bit.

Corky

TheExodu5 said:
~80% GPU usage...I've seen worse. Not so bad, honestly. I think we're going to see a lot of driver level improvements for this game.

eh? Are you talking about yourself or me? Because that : 82% max is because of a spike.

coopolon

Soi-Fong said:

That doesn't really make any sense. Even with all the problems, the PC version is still going to run a lot better at over double the resolution and significantly improved image quality over the console versions. And it will be compatible with mods.

epmode

I can get a solid 60 FPS at 2560x1600 with a single GTX 570 with everything maxed except shadows (they're on High) and no antialiasing (I don't need it at a high resolution like that) so I guess it runs well enough for me. Those performance reports are pretty dismal though. Patches are incoming I guess.

I'd love it if someone confirmed that the FOV console tweak disables achievements...

Corky

TheExodu5 said:
Ahh yeah...seems closer to 60%? That's pretty bad.

Yes... yes it is, 60% usage across both my cards is not far away from 50%, in other words 1 gpu. Now I would've just chalked this up to day 1 SLI jank that I've come to love, but considering nvidia just dropped a hot steaming pile of beta drivers with sli support for the game I kinda expected it to work.

thefil

epmode said:
I can get a solid 60 FPS at 2560x1600 with a single GTX 570 with everything maxed except shadows (they're on High) and no antialiasing (I don't need it at a high resolution like that) so I guess it runs well enough for me. Those performance reports are pretty dismal though. Patches are incoming I guess.

I'd love it if someone confirmed that the FOV console tweak disables achievements...
Someone earlier in the thread said it didn't. I'll be "testing" (playing after the console command) today.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Corky said:
Yes... yes it is, 60% usage across both my cards is not far away from 50%, in other words 1 gpu. Now I would've just chalked this up to day 1 SLI jank that I've come to love, but considering nvidia just dropped a hot steaming pile of beta drivers with sli support for the game I kinda expected it to work.
Sad.

Could we get more impressions with CF ATI cards? I've not seen enough of them with impressions around here.

I expect new drivers to sort this out. Or at least patches. Who am I kidding, the community will fix it!

Skirn

I'm getting mad texture flickering on my 6950. For example, the castle walls in the beginning go from fully moss-covered to having no moss at all as I rotate the camera or walk towards them. Pretty distracting and fugly.

I've tried changing the graphics settings but nothing seems to work. I'm running with the latest drivers (11.9). Anyone know of a fix?

Salaadin

Skirn said:
I'm getting mad texture flickering on my 6950. For example, the castle walls in the beginning go from fully moss-covered to having no moss at all as I rotate the camera or walk towards them. Pretty distracting and fugly.

I've tried changing the graphics settings but nothing seems to work. I'm running with the latest drivers (11.9). Anyone know of a fix?

11.10 was released last week. Maybe try them?
Listen to others advice before me though. I havent played it yet.

Corky

epmode said:
I can get a solid 60 FPS at 2560x1600 with a single GTX 570 with everything maxed except shadows (they're on High) and no antialiasing

Tried your settings and same resolution, ( 1440, so lower little actually ), got 60fps with 1 card @ 980mhz, and 53 with both.

"Added or updated SLI profiles for the following games:
Aion v3.0
Anno 2070
Assassins Creed: Revelations
Bastion
Need for Speed: The Run
Payday: The Heist
The Adventures of Tintin
The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim"

Fixed that for ya Nvidia. And now to see if these non-working drivers I downloaded for skyrim has actually ruined BF3 for me like many people say.

Skirn

Salaadin said:
11.10 was released last week. Maybe try them?
Listen to others advice before me though. I havent played it yet.
Shit, you're right. I clicked "check for updates now..." in CCC but it didn't find any updates. Went to ATI's homepage and voilá, there they are. Thanks.

Hopefully these fix the issue.

EDIT: Didn't work. Still flickers... crap.

EDIT 2: Disabling Multi-sampling AA and using Super-sampling AA instead fixed it.

Corky said:

It really is a shame. I actually managed to get my FPS in the 45-60 range last night before I went to bed. I believe I had everything on Ultra, except AA was off (in 1080p). I am going to mess around with it a bit later but even if it was well optimized the sound and mouse issues are absolutely fucking awful. Mouse acceleration blows, I managed to get it a bit better last night but it was still bad, and on top of that the game would do a sort of mini stutter sometimes as I would turn, it's just a big pile of shit.

Hopefully they (and by they I mean modders) fix it soon, I'm still going to play tonight because this games been on my wishlist forever but it's a shame.

For reference, I'm running
Phenom II X4 3.2
8GB DDR3
GTX 570

I'm played about 3 hours last night. I had 60+ framerate with some noticable stuttering when entering towns.

Biggest problem I saw were some missing textures on objects in certain areas. Bright blue deer and one random hut outside of a town. Loading a different area and coming back seemed to fix the problem. Still pretty weird. At first I thought the deer were magical projections at first, cast by a mage or something. Then I saw a hut with the same problem.

btw, this is what iim running it on:

Windows 7 64bit
12 GB DDR3 Ram
GTX 590
Intel i7 3.0ghz processor.

Xena

For any AsusG73Jh user who is interested...

Here are some steam screenshots. I'm running on my Asus G73Jh (6GB ram, ATi 5870 mobile, i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz, Win7 64 Home Premium. I have updated to bios 211; done a clean Win7 install as well to remove bloatware, and updated to the latest build for the catalyst driver released Monday. 1600x900 res.

http://i.imgur.com/SDM93.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U04VR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XDPBW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3GsTC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0sxfZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BlHrT.jpg

stuminus3

The lack of "PC basics" is really jarring coming from Portal 2, Deus Ex and Battlefield 3 (also console games) this year. I don't get it. I'm sure an intern at Bethesda could spend 5 minutes throwing together a couple of menu options for mouse acceleration and FOV. Such a simple gesture would go a long way.

Game is ugly as shit too but I think that's partially an unfortunate side-effect of playing Battlefield 3 at mostly ultra settings recently. Thankfully I can once again rest easy knowing my 5770 lives to fight another day.

ctrayne

stuminus3 said:
The lack of "PC basics" is really jarring coming from Portal 2, Deus Ex and Battlefield 3 (also console games) this year. I don't get it.
That FOV slider in DXHR did lot to gain brownie points among the PC crowd. It was a welcome change of pace. I'd love to see that in Skyrim and many other games.

Rhythmic

Rhythmic said:
Thinking about getting this.

I am running
AMD II x3 @ 2.9
2gigs ram
ati 4670
win 7

Worth grabbing the pc version? Am I going to be able to run the game decent enough to enjoy it?

Repostin

epmode

I can confirm that altering FOV settings in the console does NOT affect achievements. I just completed that Barrow quest at FOV 85 and the achievement showed up right away.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
It doesn't. oh wait, I edited via ini file...

Editing the INI file doesn't do a thing. Try setting it to something ridiculous like 40 and you'll see. Doing the same in the console works every time.

spk

Anabuhabkuss said:
Hey where do I copy and paste the ENB mod/patch? Do I just add those settings directly to Skyrtim.ini? Skyrim prefs?
Question: Did you read one line of the readme :/

goodfella

coopolon said:
Am I not loading a texture or is this really what snow covered boards look like? I'm not being nit picky, if it's how it's supposed to be I can live with it, but I'm thinking I'm actually missing textures. Apologies for the steam compression, lazy.

6D9A9C93C67E660BBA7F351A49B7039845F0DCF0

Yeah, I think it is supposed to be like that. I think it is due to the snow being dynamical put on textures. While I have not seen snowfall yet, when I cast fire magic on those snowy boards for example, the snow melts. (Kind of cool really)

Dries

luca_29_bg said:
Someone can explain me how to lock fps with dxtory ?

Hope I'm not responding too late.

for version 2.0.108

- In the main window click the tab with the green computer chip thingie.

- Check the box with ''limit video FPS'' and fill in your desired FPS.

- Play the game!

If you want to see if it's working:

- In the main window click the tab with the screen and number 69

- Check the box ''video FPS''

- Play the game!

goodfella

Dries said:
Hope I'm not responding too late.

for version 2.0.108

- In the main window click the tab with the green computer chip thingie.

- Check the box with ''limit video FPS'' and fill in your desired FPS.

- Play the game!

If you want to see if it's working:

- In the main window click the tab with the screen and number 69

- Check the box ''video FPS''

- Play the game!

Do you find with some games that there is still some stuttering, but it is not picked up by Fraps? For example, with GTA IV and Deus EX, I should be running them at about 45-55fps. However, when I lock them to 30, there is micro stuttering.

I have a single 560ti.

Top Bottom