• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TellTale Damages the Jeep of Something Awful's Boomerjinks

Jomjom

Banned
Considering TT basically paid nothing, but the costs of getting the vehicle and the owner there, they really should be paying to fix this.

X26

Banned
TT messed up but the reaction is way overboard, some pretty embarrassing behavior by reddit users especially

Empty

nice to see how this story has grown via the internet. telltale absolutely deserve the negative publicity for what they've done here.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
paying up the 2000 dollars to make it right from the start now probably seems like a pittance to the sheer amount of bad will they've generated before the release of their product. whoops.

Pie and Beans said:
paying up the 2000 dollars to make it right from the start now probably seems like a pittance to the sheer amount of bad will they've generated before the release of their product. whoops.

The question is, are TT liable though? Whoever signed for it at PAX could have made a mistake and forgot to check the jeep (Due to time pressure for example) and signed off without checking. Human error is looking the most likely aspect. What could TT do other than fire the person who made the mistake? Paying would be bad legal practice since that would be admitting to something they didn't do.

Boomerjinks is making it look like a black & white issue, but it never is.

jett

D-Member
The owner probably learned a thing or two about being a nice guy! That should teach 'em.

Seriously though, Telltale totally fucked up in every way possible. And they continue to fuck up.

Jomjom

Banned
RobotRocker said:
The question is, are TT liable though? Whoever signed for it at PAX could have made a mistake and forgot to check the jeep (Due to time pressure for example) and signed off without checking. Human error is looking the most likely aspect. What could TT do other than fire the person who made the mistake? Paying would be bad legal practice since that would be admitting to something they didn't do.

Human error by an employee of TT does make TT liable. Without going into details, this is agency liability. Firing the employee is not the most they can do, it is the least.

Not only would it be good legal practice to just pay up because it appears to be a nominal amount (should a lawsuit be filed, it will cost much more when all the attorney's fees and costs are factored in), but most of all, it would be good business practice because TT is in the business of selling games to a small market, a large part of which has disdain for TT now.

RobotRocker said:

IANAL, but I am pretty sure signing a bill of lading makes them 100% liable. It doesn't matter if the employee didn't actually inspect it; the company is responsible for that, not the employee. At some point somebody decided inspecting the jeep was not a high enough priority, and that person represented Telltale when he/she made that decision. It seems pretty black and white to me.

Boomerjinks made some mistakes along the way, no doubt of that, but that doesn't make him liable for the damage. The issue here is liability, nothing more, nothing less, and there are signed documents proving that Telltale accepted that liability. These other "gray" issues, like what Boomerjinks "should" have done or even who caused the damage or when, aren't important to the end result.

edit: jurassicjeep.com has had 32,000+ visitors today.

wrowa

RobotRocker said:

The employee was sent by TT as the company's representative, and thus TT is liable.

Also, even if he wasn't, just because something might be tolerable by law doesn't make it the right thing to do. Boomerjinks lent them his car, they damaged it; it should be taken for granted that Telltale pays the damage. After all the company is the sole reason why the car got damaged; no matter whether or not they are obliged to pay by law. It's just a horrible way to treat someone who did them a favour.

ameratsu

A couple posters on reddit pointed out that the brown cover shown in this pic is intended for storing the vehicle, but not for transport at 60mph+ in an unenclosed vehicle carrier. It wouldn't take much to scratch paint from rubbing if this was the case.

Jomjom

Banned
ameratsu said:
A couple posters on reddit pointed out that the brown cover shown in this pic is intended for storing the vehicle, but not for transport at 60mph+ in an unenclosed vehicle carrier. It wouldn't take much to scratch paint from rubbing if this was the case.

But what about the ripped seat cover? Even if the cover was part of the reason, at least some damage was due to the carrier's negligence, which was exacerbated by the TT employee's negligence in failing to check the jeep before signing off on the BoL.

Additionally, who is in a better position to know what the cover would do at 60mph? The professional carrier which makes its living delivering cars from place to place every day or a lay vehicle owner?

ameratsu said:
Didn't he claim that they promised an enclosed vehicle carrier though?

Some more info in a long summary from boomerjinks on reddit, here's the key quote:

boomerjinks said:
After that I received a final letter from your counsel that said in no uncertain terms that TellTale believes it is not at fault for the damages to the Jeep.

Kevin Bruner (CEO) claimed a couple hours ago that boomerjinks has his contact info and has not attempted to contact him. Boomerjinks claims this isn't true:

TBH, the last contact I had with them in September was a letter stating in no uncertain terms that they felt they were not responsible for any of the damages and were not interested in paying the travel expenses that were initially agreed upon.

This entire thing is a last-resort of trying to get their attention. I would very much like to talk to Kevin Bruner. I went through aaaaall the comments and managed to find his, but I do /not/ have his contact information.

Jomjom

Banned
Er... what?

They are reneging on paying travel expenses?? I don't know how they will be able to argue that considering they got the use of the jeep for their show.

Kusagari

I like how Kevin Brunner has the time to post on reddit saying boomerjinks has his contact info, and if that's true then he must have boomerjinks, but hasn't contacted boomerjinks himself.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sue them. It doesn't sound like there's going to be a conclusion otherwise.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kusagari said:
I like how Kevin Brunner has the time to post on reddit saying boomerjinks has his contact info, and if that's true then he must have boomerjinks, but hasn't contacted boomerjinks himself.

Maybe it's set up like a point and click puzzle. Kevin Brunner will drop off clues for Boomerjinks to decipher and only then will he be able to call Kevin Brunner over the matter. Until then, he's out of luck.

Kusagari said:

It is incredible to me that he apparently assumed this would not occur to every single person that reads his post.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Is TellTale/their CEO new to the internet? I'm confused as to how they/he thought this would turn out any other way...

Dear Telltale,

You do realize that if the sun sets on this shitty stance you have taken without fixing the damn jeep, it doesn't really matter what you do from this point forward, right? This issue is going to fade into the background, probably overnight, the threads will slip away, and we'll all be left with this distinctive negative impression of you. Say you pay the guy tomorrow, or Wednesday. Nobody is going to notice.

Free advice: just pay the man. Jesus. Your opportunity to save any face here is rapidly disintegrating.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
echoshifting said:
Man, that TT employee on reddit is getting torn to shreds.

For good reason: His company signed for the damn thing. That's basically an "okay, we take it! LOLZ" liability. Even if the shipping company did damage to the vehicle during shipping, Telltale accepted the damage and thus the liability. They didn't even check the damage. If they did and got to him quicker and said "we think it's from shipping, we're going to claim issues with the shipper but we need to make sure this damage isn't from before shipping" they would've at least been responsible in the situation. The fact they didn't and are attempting to bury it despite accepting the damage to show the jeep at a show is worrying.

It's like Valve asking you to use your custom headcrab hoodie at E3. But when you get it back your hoodie is ripped to shreads like a Raptor went at it. "Oh, but we didn't do that!" Valve would say. Bullshit, it's your responsibility that I get that hoodie back undamaged once I give it to you.

Jomjom

Banned
TheSeks said:
It's like Valve asking you to use your custom headcrab hoodie at E3. But when you get it back your hoodie is ripped to shreads like a Raptor went at it. "Oh, but we didn't do that!" Valve would say. Bullshit, it's your responsibility that I get that hoodie back undamaged once I give it to you.

Totally agree with what you said. But a little off topic, this analogy is so specific that it sounds like a personal experience.

WARP10CK

Banned
The mods have decided to put my thread back up on telltales official site and people are creating new accounts and keeps the bashing going.
I have suggested that they just close the thread but it remains open, better have the bashing in one place I guess.

echoshifting said:
Dear Telltale,

You do realize that if the sun sets on this shitty stance you have taken without fixing the damn jeep, it doesn't really matter what you do from this point forward, right? This issue is going to fade into the background, probably overnight, the threads will slip away, and we'll all be left with this distinctive negative impression of you. Say you pay the guy tomorrow, or Wednesday. Nobody is going to notice.

Free advice: just pay the man. Jesus. Your opportunity to save any face here is rapidly disintegrating.
What this guy said.

RobotRocker said:
It's about as black and white as it gets. If I loan you something and it's damaged whilst it's in your possession, or being handled by someone who you employed / contracted to handle it... you're damn sure going to make it right.

16gfi4l.jpg

A Link to the Snitch said:

Let it begin

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Reply from Kevin Bruner

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/mceic/about_that_jurassic_park_jeep/

Hello Reddit,

Kevin Bruner from Telltale here. Today there has been quite the buzz about how Telltale reportedly damaged the Jurassic Park Jeep lent to us at PAX. Telltale has in fact been in regular contact with the owner of the Jeep and the last we heard, he was in the process of completing an insurance claim.

The Jeep was damaged on the way to Seattle, before anyone from Telltale every saw or touched it. Telltale used the shipping company that the owner asked us to use. When it arrived we just saw an awesome, well loved, but also well used, Jeep. We had no way of knowing that anything had happened to the Jeep in transport, as it appeared in reasonable condition. Anyone who came by the show and took a picture with the Jeep can attest that the Jeep looked pretty damn cool, and not obviously damaged.

The fact that the Jeep was damaged before we had access to it, and some dispute over the amount of damage caused in transport vs. existing damage has complicated the claim, which has made the process take a long time.

But, today I wake up to find that there is a campaign the day before our game launch to discredit Telltale. Since Telltale didn't actually do anything negligent, we've been using the insurance we purchased to cover this, but it has been time consuming. Apparently too time consuming. To expedite this, I'll be writing a personal check to cover what we understand the damages to be - this way we won't need to hash this out publicly any longer.

Some people seem to think that Telltale has grown into some giant corporation that doesn't care about people anymore. Nothing could be further from the truth. We started the company to make games that are about writing, acting and atmosphere and not about blowing shit up. Since we've gone out on this limb, we've had some successes (and failures) and earned the chance to work with great licenses like Monkey Island, Back to the Future, Jurassic Park and Walking Dead. All of our games are super faithful to the licenses, and lovingly crafted to make the best fan experience possible. Fans seem to enjoy them, which makes us super proud. We hate that most licensed games are a driver or a shooter with a license slapped on it, which we've never been about.

So I'll fast track getting the Jeep fixed by paying for it personally, even though I don't like the circumstances this is going down in. Perhaps some of you who are hating on Telltale might be inclined to check out Jurassic Park tomorrow and give us a chance to change your mind.

Talk about right in the nick of time.

Still...good on ya, Kevin. That was the right thing to do and I'm glad you took care of it today.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jling84 said:
Totally agree with what you said. But a little off topic, this analogy is so specific that it sounds like a personal experience.

Not at all. But I feel using a specific "good will" company will get some people that don't "get it" on board. Telltale signed for the responsibility of the car once it arrived. They failed to check for damage and notify the dude. Ergo, at fault. It's open and shut.

harriet the spy said:
So is the guy lying about not being in contact with TellTale / choosing the shipping company?

I seriously doubt it.

As long as it has a happy ending, I guess. Telltale gets a C- for their handling. Barely a passing grade, but a pass nonetheless.

Deductions for sluggishness, sloppy attempts at pinning responsibility on the victim, and an iffy mea culpa

edit: if he wanted to, all Boomerjinks really has to do to refute the accusations in Kevin's note is post a copy of that last letter he claims he got in September from Telltale's lawyers. Note how Kevin claims they've been in regular contact but doesn't actually state when he was last in contact with Boomerjinks. It seems to be written in a deliberately slippery fashion.

Jomjom

Banned
Nice that he's writing out the check. But he still really doesn't get it. I can't believe he's still making TT out to be the victim, when in his own post he basically is admitting that they were negligent (despite saying they were in no way negligent).

He needs to understand that just because they didn't directly cause the damage, that DOES NOT mean that they were not negligent. If a huge gash in the seat was not caught by the person inspecting the car on delivery, THAT IS NEGLIGENCE!! If the person signing the BoL was not confident he/she could verify the condition of the car, he/she should have not signed and maybe contacted the owner for starters.

Aselith

echoshifting said:
Just spotted this on reddit:

Followed by:

It's incredible that they haven't fixed this. That's the "whole story?" The timing of the damage? Wanting to make sure you pay only for what you're at fault for, not a penny more...when the grand total is two thousand dollars? To a guy who did you a fucking favor?

Who wants to bet this is Alan Johnson again?
I can't comment....except to assassinate this guy's character.

Kevin Bruner from Telltale here. Today there has been quite the buzz about how Telltale reportedly damaged the Jurassic Park Jeep lent to us at PAX. Telltale has in fact been in regular contact with the owner of the Jeep and the last we heard, he was in the process of completing an insurance claim.
He's not denying that Telltale did send that letter saying that they did not find themselves responsible and would not pay.

This is very obvious damage control but probably the best they could have done having been caught trying to ignore the problem until it went away.

They should have just paid immediately. They will probably lose much more than $2000 over this.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Any bets that Boomerjinks wouldn't see any money if it wasn't for the outcry from the Internet today?

wrowa

It reads like "It's not our fault, but hey we are so merciful and pay it anyway". At least he gets his money now. But the bitter taste remains.

Ignis Fatuus said:
They will probably lose much more than $2000 over this.

Wario64 said:
Any bets that Boomerjinks wouldn't see any money if it wasn't for the outcry from the Internet today?

It's hard to decide which of these statements is filled with more truth

The truth overfloweth

Interesting response from the CEO.

I work for a major logistics company, so his response confuses me more than anything. Who assumes what responsibility is always at the forefront of any carrier contract, so there really should be no question here. Telltale is both the Shipper and the Consignee (receiver), so it would make sense for them to hold sole responsibility. Think of renting a video from Blockbuster (as hard as that might be to imagine nowadays) - that is much closer to this situation than, saying, ordering something from Amazon.

It is true that by signing the BL you end up absolving the carrier of responsibility. Telltale claiming they didn't know the Jeep was damaged is at that point irrelevant. I'm sure their main point is going to be pleading ignorance, but they should have contacted the guy before signing.

FStop7

Banned
androvsky said:
I think I found the picture he's referencing, you can see some of the damage already. http://i.imgur.com/vtoNe.jpg It's hard to believe they didn't even have a flatbed trailer, even my shitty cars get better treatment getting towed for repairs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/jz4uu/objects_in_mirror_are_closer_than_they_appearon/

That is messed up. I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to tow 4WD vehicles in such a manner because it will damage the driveline.

Top Bottom