• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

jeff_rigby redeemed? Sony: PSN Store redesign being considered

M.D

PlayStation Store redesign being considered

The consolidation of Sony's online services, such as Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, and the PlayStation Network, into the Sony Entertainment Network has the company looking at new ways of presenting a unified experience across all its devices. The company recently launched the Video Unlimited "preview" app, which allows PS3 owners to browse Sony's video offerings in a brand new way.

Greg Belloni, senior manager of corporate communications at Sony Network Entertainment, told Shacknews at Pepcom that the company is hoping to make the enhanced experience offered by the standalone app standard, not only for videos, but for games as well.

Belloni wouldn't confirm an exact timeline or roadmap, saying that the company is simply exploring its options at the moment.

Belloni was candid about possible upgrades to Sony's video offerings, including support for streaming media. While Video Unlimited offers streaming playback on a variety of devices, such as Blu-ray disc players and Bravia televisions, the PS3 requires users to download a file before watching. While a switch to streaming is being considered, Belloni did say that the company was not considering offering a cloud-based media library, like the ones offered by iTunes and Amazon.

When quizzed on the possibility of offering season passes, where a year's worth of episodes could be purchased at a discount, Belloni could not offer a comment. The Wall Street Journal recently wrote about Sony's plans to launch television subscriptions. Among the companies supposedly approached by Sony are Comcast, Discovery, and New Corp. If these discussions are fruitful, the company would be able to better compete with Xbox Live's television initiative, which launches later this year.

Link

Audioboxer

Pretty sure chat like this was mentioned when the music/video unlimited services launched, so not really anything new.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Whatever it is, I hope it unifies various regions into 3-4 rather than 20+ regions.

mollipen

Honestly, other than a few small complaints, I like the store as it is now. What I'd like to see changed is the ability to actually read text when on different background, and the return of the "what's new" list where it had everything in the list without having to go into the different sections that are now a part of that list.

Oh, and something way, way better in terms of organization should you need to re-download anything (but really, everybody is bad about that).

Good to hear, I think the PSN store could use a redesign.

Sort of OT, but does anyone have the link to the thread that was about PSN accounts being limited to 2 and there will be online deactivation? I'm wondering when or if thats happening

M.D

shidoshi said:
Honestly, other than a few small complaints, I like the store as it is now. What I'd like to see changed is the ability to actually read text when on different background, and the return of the "what's new" list where it had everything in the list without having to go into the different sections that are now a part of that list.

Oh, and something way, way better in terms of organization should you need to re-download anything (but really, everybody is bad about that).

I'm fine with the store but it could use some updates

For example - I was looking for the Black Ops map packs today, and I had to use the search and got all sorts of results from trailers to themes and a demo and so on

I would like it if every game a hub with categories for DLC, Themes and you could download the demo from there without having to look in the "Demo Section"

If I'm not wrong, the Vita does at least some of those things

What I would like more is a PSN overhaul with new features and a new look, although I really like the look of PSN as it is now.. I just want a fresh look and feel, but I think they should save a major firmware upgrade (or PSN 2.0) for PS4

OMG WEBKIT IS TOTALLY COMING TO THE PS3 GUYS!!!!

After watching the kaz hirai "PSN is back on" video from during the summer i was able discover that if you count the seconds between kaz's blinks and covert those seconds to letters using my version of "eeny meeny miny mo" you get a secret message that says "webkit browser is coming to the ps3"

but a ps3 store redesign has been in the works for over a year now. Pretty sure I have been hearing about it ever since LBP2's web stuff was announced and some sony guys where winking and nodding that a PSN web portal was in the works as well.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Jeff Rigby:

305303.jpg

"I don't understand .... therefore gtk toolkit browser gui update"

I currently like the store but I wish they learned to use the entire screen, change the font and standardize their details for each piece of content.

Dibbz

Guys you're going a to have to rename the thread title to PS3 Webkit Visual Basic GUI Interface identified in Sony Cybershot OS 2.1 to get him to show.

Kyoufu

He has 2 threads to bump now.

One is an endless tease of a possible new browser and now this, a fucking store re-design. Way to go!

Imagine the Starhawk thread being bumped every day before it was officially announced...

M.D

I didn't want this to become the make fun of jeff thread :\

I feel uncomfortable now :(

I wish everything jeff is saying it true just so that everyone has to eat their own words... that would be great

snap0212

While you're at it, fire all the people responsible for the PAL Store. Not sure why anyone at Sony thinks it's a good idea that every single piece of content has to submitted to every single region, why everything has to go through various certification processes and QA tests which leads to constant delays.

There's no need to fire them, actually. Just hire some competent people in addition. You can keep the incompetent ones, too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
M.D said:
I didn't want this to become the make fun of jeff thread :\

I feel uncomfortable now :(

I wish everything jeff is saying it true just so that everyone has to eat their own words... that would be great

It's nothing more than some playful banter. Very few people actually have a problem with his... thorough methods of investigation.

M.D said:
I would like it if every game a hub with categories for DLC, Themes and you could download the demo from there without having to look in the "Demo Section"
If I'm understanding you correctly, what you want is in the Games section.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Shai-Tan said:
Jeff Rigby:

305303.jpg

(large lol)

The guy really love web browsers. Props to him.

Prezhulio

what are the odds that when/if they update the storefront to this they just take out the web browser completely? i mean, i don't use it much since hulu got disabled a long while ago, but it'd be an expected kick in the pants nontheless.

I like the store the way it is now. As long as they keep it pretty much the same but make it easier that's fine but no need to change the layout.

Massa

Prezhulio said:
what are the odds that when/if they update the storefront to this they just take out the web browser completely? i mean, i don't use it much since hulu got disabled a long while ago, but it'd be an expected kick in the pants nontheless.

The odds of that are zero. Sony would never remove a feature from the PS3.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I thought the point of their Video Unlimited app was that they were going to update both Video and Playstation Store to its design at the end of this year?

Come on Sony, for heavens sake get a move on with stuff.

I'm pretty sure the dude on the ps blog said that the music store and the game store redesign would follow the video store redesign. There's still a lot wrong with the video store though, lack of audio and subtitle options, ability to gift a movie/tv show, and ability to buy/preorder whole tv seasons being a couple of them.

androvsky

JaseC said:
It's nothing more than some playful banter. Very few people actually have a problem with his... thorough methods of investigation.

Well, not anymore anyway, since the carnage in the PS4 speculation thread.

As the semi-official "person who disagrees with jeff_rigby", even I have to say he's catching way too much crap for stuff that he's already been proven completely correct on (okay, so mainly the browser), and there's still a lot of mean-spiritedness going on. Fortunately he seems to be a tough guy, and I know he's going to enjoy getting credit for the next couple of PS3 upgrades, no matter what they are. :)

Like I've said many times before, the PS3 already has a webkit browser, and it's being used for at least the Video Unlimited Preview app. Download the app, go to the about section, see the URL it gives to the source code for the webkit browser that it is using. The new BBC iPlayer looks like a web app. The people who made it say it's a standard HTML5 web app. Does anyone honestly think it's still using the old Netfront browser? The only question left is if Sony will let us use the webkit browser for whatever sites we want...

Anyway, back on topic. The Video Unlimited store is the same thing as the PSN Video Store, so it's not a surprise at all that they're considering using the new interface for games too. The only thing that surprises me is that it's apparently not right around the corner.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
androvsky said:
Well, not anymore anyway, since the carnage in the PS4 speculation thread.

As the semi-official "person who disagrees with jeff_rigby", even I have to say he's catching way too much crap for stuff that he's already been proven completely correct on (okay, so mainly the browser), and there's still a lot of mean-spiritedness going on. Fortunately he seems to be a tough guy, and I know he's going to enjoy getting credit for the next couple of PS3 upgrades, no matter what they are. :)

Like I've said many times before, the PS3 already has a webkit browser, and it's being used for at least the Video Unlimited Preview app. Download the app, go to the about section, see the URL it gives to the source code for the webkit browser that it is using. The new BBC iPlayer looks like a web app. The people who made it say it's a standard HTML5 web app. Does anyone honestly think it's still using the old Netfront browser? The only question left is if Sony will let us use the webkit browser for whatever sites we want...

Anyway, back on topic. The Video Unlimited store is the same thing as the PSN Video Store, so it's not a surprise at all that they're considering using the new interface for games too. The only thing that surprises me is that it's apparently not right around the corner.

Oh, I haven't read that thread. I only know him as "that guy from the PS3 browser thread". :p

Concept17

I only have a couple small complaints about the store right now, but for the most part I think its great. A browser upgrade would be welcome, but I see no reason to change the store. Looks visually pleasing as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shai-Tan said:
Jeff Rigby:

:lol Quite an accurate picture/summary of him.

Top Bottom