• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

jeff_rigby redeemed? Sony: PSN Store redesign being considered

tirminyl

I'm shocked that they are still considering it and I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't already have it in development. I would just expect it to be sooner than later. I really like the Video Unlimited app and if they can morph that with the Vita Live Area, that would be awesome.

I didn't want this to become the make fun of jeff thread :\

I feel uncomfortable now :(

I wish everything jeff is saying it true just so that everyone has to eat their own words... that would be great
Remember PS3 Firmware update 3.21 March 2010 that removed other OS support but gave us DTCP-IP which provides copy protection for In the Home Network Media Servers only. It's more than a year later and we haven't used that feature yet but Sony put it on the PS3 for a reason. There are two potential uses, copy protecting the media served from the PS3 to the Vita and Media from a Home DVR or Allvid cable box. Point is Sony provided that feature 1 year and 9 months before it's going to be used.

Here is another proposed use that Time Warner Cable and Samsung implementing multi-room DVR are implementing now. Sony has plans to do this also. It's a Web-based UI but requires DTCP-IP copy protection and DLNA.

Point is the software is in the PS3 to support features that haven't been implemented yet and in some cases years in advance. Anyone can examine the features in firmware updates and research what they mean on the internet. With that easy research you can speculate on what's coming but not when.

androvsky

Remember PS3 Firmware update 3.21 March 2010 that removed other OS support but gave us DTCP-IP which provides copy protection for In the Home Network Media Servers only. It's more than a year later and we haven't used that feature yet but Sony put it on the PS3 for a reason. There are two potential uses, copy protecting the media served from the PS3 to the Vita and Media from a Home DVR or Allvid cable box. Point is Sony provided that feature 1 year and 9 months before it's going to be used.
Not that it changes your point here, but DTCP-IP was added in 3.0.

DryvBy

Jeff Rigby:

305303.jpg

"I don't understand .... therefore gtk toolkit browser gui update"

I wish he understood a hair brush.

Not that it changes your point here, but DTCP-IP was added in 3.0.
Not that it changes anything <grin> but DTCP-IP came with Firmware 3.21. This is really interesting; if you look at the date of your cited article it's 10 days before 3.0 with inside information on what's coming with 3.0 & the new PS3 Slim but DTCP-IP didn't come until 3.21 so this guy was getting information on multiple new features ?6? months in advance of the actual release. I wonder who's head rolled with that leak.

So 2 years and 3 months before DTCP-IP is going to be used Sony had a use planned for it.

3.21 had several DRM upgrades and we lost Other OS. Speculation put the two together and assumptions were Other OS was removed from the older PS3s (New Slims were announced as not having Other OS Support and they came with Firmware 3.0) because it created DRM issues.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/28/ps3-firmware-v3-21-update/ said:
Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)

Time Warner Cable and Samsung implementing multi-room DVR are implementing now. Sony has plans to do this also. It's a Web-based UI but requires DTCP-IP copy protection and DLNA.

Point is the software is in the PS3 to support features that haven't been implemented yet and in some cases years in advance.

Thank's for the defense...the next couple of months is going to see many new features implemented, as we've expected.

Home already has Sony Crackle (Select Sony movies free) and is soon to get 60 Internet Radio stations. Of course you used to have to buy Loot Properties to view Crackle and a few other "Free" video IPTV sites. Point is Home is client based and the tools to access and display the IPTV and Radio stations are native in the PS3. Why aren't they available from the XMB....because Sony makes money from "Home". Most of the support for a PS3 GTKwebkit is done and in the PS3. The Chrome changes in the already published GTKWebkit diff file would indicate that the front end is done also.

I'll spell this out for others because androvsky already knows this; Firmware 3.0 was released in 2009 with frameworks in place to support the coming GTKwebkit browser. That's two years before October of this year when I suspected Sony would release or announce the browser.

There have been no new applications released using the frameworks already in place since 2009 and Valkyr Junkie, androvsky, Patsu and myself discussed this as "Sony has been sending out surveys that they still have plenty of plans for upgrades to the various XMB apps" and Sony had a job listing for a Software engineer to develop PS3 Apps using the existing frameworks and webkit. Why have't those been released or at least released as they are completed as more than one is coming?

Big questions with no easy answers but we are starting to see that plans were in place 2 years in advance (2009) to support what we are soon to get. (One might note that Music unlimited in it's present form is not possible in Home so RadioIO can be implemented in Home but not from the XMB where it's a competitor).

http://pshomegazette.com/2011/11/19/loot-crackle-its-on/ said:
Ustream: Real-time interactivity around live broadcasted shows
The Ustream network features online lifecasting and live video streaming produced by more than 12,500,000 registered users. PlayStation®Home will now feature a broad range of live Ustream events. Ustream content will be available in both public and personal LOOT spaces, allowing PlayStation®Home users to enjoy the entertainment of their choice, the way they choose.

RadioIO: Streaming music pioneer takes listening social

RadioIO (IWDM.OB), PlayStation Home and LOOT bring another option for &#8220;Social Listening&#8221; to PlayStation®Home by recreating the social experience of listening and discovering music with your friends. The new LOOT virtual item called Entertainment On Demand Active Radio lets PlayStation®Home users invite friends into their private spaces, or listen on their own in the LOOT Space Station public space, to enjoy high-quality Internet radio from RadioIO with their choice of more than 60 music and talk channels from Classical, Jazz, Rock, and Pop to Hip Hop, R & B, Country, Electronic, Dance and many more specialty niches including live shows from nationally syndicated radio talk show host Bubba the Love Sponge® and additional programming from Shannon Burke and Dangerous Conversation with Scott &#8220;Ledge&#8221; Ledger. Concerts and sporting events will be available in the future, as well as virtual goods to extend the fan experience.

Crackle content is available now in PlayStation®Home. Ustream content and RadioIO and the Entertainment On Demand Active Radio will debut in December.

About Crackle, Inc.
Crackle, Inc. is a multi-platform next-generation video entertainment network that distributes digital content including original short form series and full-length traditional programming from Sony Pictures&#8217; vast library of television series and feature films. Crackle is one of the fastest growing entertainment destinations on the Internet today, offering audiences quality programming in a variety of genres, including comedy, action, sci-fi, horror, music and reality. Crackle reaches an impressive audience through its diverse online and mobile distribution network. Visit Crackle&#8217;s site at www.crackle.com

About Ustream
Ustream, Inc. is the leader in live and interactive video streaming. The interactive platform connects broadcasters and viewers of unlimited size through innovative technology, including: Facebook and Twitter social engagement tools, real-time chat and notifications, custom-designed channels, and embeddable features across multiple websites and platforms. Users are also able to broadcast, view, and engage with others in real-time, directly from mobile phones, tablets, computers, and smart TVs. The company attracts millions of high-profile brands, celebrities, musicians, athletes, politicians, animal enthusiasts, and gamers. Ustream recently earned the Guinness World Record for the &#8220;Most Content-Ingested by an Online Video Service&#8221;. For more information about Ustream, visit www.ustream.com and follow us on our socials: Twitter (@Ustream); Facebook (www.facebook.com/Ustream).

About RadioIO
Streaming pioneer, RadioIO, has been streaming internet radio made for individuals, by individuals since 1998. Each channel is an independent, original creation, featuring handpicked music sets crafted by stream hosts &#8211; not computers. RadioIO currently delivers in excess of 15,000,000 monthly stream initiations across all distribution platforms. Channels provide users a variety of listening choices from Classical, Jazz, Rock, and Pop to Hip Hop, R & B, Country, Electronic, Dance and many more specialty niches.

Top Bottom