• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
so im looking to go the water cooling route for for both my gpu and cpu. probably the rasa kit. i prefer a midtower and all the fans/rad and resevoir to be all internal.

here are my options. can someone with watercooling experience help a brother out?

silverstone ft02
corsair 650D
fractal r3
fractal arc midi

KevinRo

Is there much of a difference between a 560 Ti and a 580?

Yes. Alot. What you have to decide is whether each card is worth its price for its performance.

580 is undoubtedly the better card, but it costs up to two times as much as the 560ti. Not to mention they just released the 560ti 448 cores, which is a little bit costlier than the 560ti when compared to the 580. So you can in theory overclock the 560ti 448 to get closer to the performance of the 570-580 range for alot less.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Great thread guys. I've been lurking here reading up and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new build. It pretty much mirrors the "Excellent" build without the SSD or sound card. Went ahead and got 16GB of RAM because it's dirty cheap and I just know some natural disaster is going to hit the RAM factories now and I'll regret it if I don't!

Also weird was that Newegg rejected my card but when I went ahead and just ordered the 6970 on Amazon and kept the rest on Newegg, then everything was fine. Probably an issue with the fact that it's a new card but their loss I guess?

Big Chungus

This is the build I have so far...I know you guys said to drop the SSD but it's for my cousin, he says the budget is around $2000 and he wants one.

5cpGc.png

What does everyone think?

I was going to add the 580 but it's just way too much I think...

and yes, lol @ the keyboard/mouse bundle.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Read my previous post.

Also drop the AS5 for MX-4 or ICD7.
Buy a better PSU 80+rated Gold Seasonic or Corsair PSU.

Yes. Alot. What you have to decide is whether each card is worth its price for its performance.

580 is undoubtedly the better card, but it costs up to two times as much as the 560ti. Not to mention they just released the 560ti 448 cores, which is a little bit costlier than the 560ti when compared to the 580. So you can in theory overclock the 560ti 448 to get closer to the performance of the 570-580 range for alot less.

The 560 Ti 448 is in the $280 category, making it close to the 570 with rebate. It also only has 1GB VRAM unless they've changed something since last I checked. It's an okay deal but not as good performance to money as the original 560 Ti is due to price.

Zyzyxxz

So I'm currently going to upgrade my case in the net few months and I can't decide if I want to spend the premium for the Silvestone Raven. I'm really excited to get the Fractal Midi for such a low price of ~$100 that I'm tempted to save money for better fans.

The thing holding me back from the Raven is that it only has one 120mm fan on top and the heat seems like it can get congested up the top of the case.

Any opinions?

TheExodu5

Banned
The 560 Ti 448 is in the $280 category, making it close to the 570 with rebate. It also only has 1GB VRAM unless they've changed something since last I checked. It's an okay deal but not as good performance to money as the original 560 Ti is due to price.

It's 1280MB of memory. It's essentially a gimped GTX 570.

so im looking to go the water cooling route for for both my gpu and cpu. probably the rasa kit. i prefer a midtower and all the fans/rad and resevoir to be all internal.

here are my options. can someone with watercooling experience help a brother out?

silverstone ft02
corsair 650D
fractal r3
fractal arc midi
If you're willing to mod, the FT02 is surprising flexible. That, and the R3 essentially demand modding to make the most of them. For non-modding, the other two can do at least about 240.2 rads in stock form, though you may need to place a set of fans, or a rad, on the top side of the case.

This is the build I have so far...I know you guys said to drop the SSD but it's for my cousin, he says the budget is around $2000 and he wants one.

5cpGc.png

Don't take this the wrong way, but $1,900 build where none of it is eaten up by a monitor or any expensive boutique parts, yet there's a single 6950, Arctic Silver 5, Corsair TX, and a Hyper 212+? No bueno.
The OCZ SSD is also debatable. Looks like a few different members have already offered some good advice.

Like TheExodu5 said, it has the same amount of memory as a GTX 570, with 570-like performance. What's often overlooked is how the lower-priced, after-rebate 570s are mostly reference cards, and cheap custom models. That includes stock 570 VRMs, which can be problematic. For the same price, or lower, you get a quality custom 560 Ti 448 like the MSI TF III Power Edition. No rebate needed. There's little guidance on the 560 Ti 448s, so even lower end cards are nearly all faster than the loose 448 reference spec.

So I'm currently going to upgrade my case in the net few months and I can't decide if I want to spend the premium for the Silvestone Raven. I'm really excited to get the Fractal Midi for such a low price of ~$100 that I'm tempted to save money for better fans.

The thing holding me back from the Raven is that it only has one 120mm fan on top and the heat seems like it can get congested up the top of the case.

Any opinions?
The Raven has better build quality, and stock cooling performance, but your plan for replacing the Arc fans is a good one. A lot depends on your selection of components. If you intend to run more than one non-reference cooler type, high end GPU, you have to take care in how you setup your airflow. Proper airflow setup, along with good component selection are far more important than gravity, or convection, in the majority of instances. For ~$112 at NCIX US, I'd also say to take a look at the Antec P280 (if non of the other OP suggestions work for you):

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33181965&postcount=19018
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33199337&postcount=19060
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33243686&postcount=19173

Smokey

I still haven't heard back from Corsair regarding RMA on the AX850 PSU. Guy told me they would email me information, follow the directions to send it in. Since that day I have left my machine on 2-3 days and nothing happened. That's where I'm at now. Machine works fine as long as it's not off long enough for it to be a "cold boot". Makes me feel a bit better that I know it's not a mobo issue or a short.

Soi-Fong

I still haven't heard back from Corsair regarding RMA on the AX850 PSU. Guy told me they would email me information, follow the directions to send it in. Since that day I have left my machine on 2-3 days and nothing happened. That's where I'm at now. Machine works fine as long as it's not off long enough for it to be a "cold boot". Makes me feel a bit better that I know it's not a mobo issue or a short.

You're kinda freaking me out about the PSU. I just bought a Corsair one this past weekend, but I can't put together all my parts till I get the i7 and the SSD from my friend who works in Intel this coming week. Well, hopefully, if something is wrong I can return it to frys.

Smokey

You're kinda freaking me out about the PSU. I just bought a Corsair one this past weekend, but I can't put together all my parts till I get the i7 and the SSD from my friend who works in Intel this coming week. Well, hopefully, if something is wrong I can return it to frys.

Corsair makes very good PSUs, you have nothing to sweat. My cold boot issue is apparently not all that common.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corsair makes very good PSUs, you have nothing to sweat. My cold boot issue is apparently not all that common.
Corsair rebrands a variety of decent to high end.
Top: Seasonic made/designed
Mid: CWT made

FWIW. Just trying to not elevate Corsair into the end all be all company. They do very well in putting value and confidence into their brand though, but I dislike that it trickles down into their CX line when there are better things for the money in that price section (sans CX430).

Zyzyxxz

·feist·;33389341 said:
The Raven has better build quality, and stock cooling performance, but your plan for replacing the Arc fans is a good one. A lot depends on your selection of components. If you intend to run more than one non-reference cooler type, high end GPU, you have to take care in how you setup your airflow. Proper airflow setup, along with good component selection are far more important than gravity, or convection, in the majority of instances. For ~$112 at NCIX US, I'd also say to take a look at the Antec P280 (if non of the other OP suggestions work for you):

Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely consider it. I might want to upgrade to one of those Corsair all-in-one cpu water coolers so space is a concern as well but I am also running a single 5870 which I plan to upgrade the cooler as well.

Romir

silverstone ft02
corsair 650D
fractal r3
fractal arc midi

A FT02 with the triple 180mm radiator should top every other non-specialty case because the total radiator surface area equals 6.75 120mm rads. When you take into account not needing to buy more fans and less fittings, this combo is relatively inexpensive too. (Plus it helps cool your gpus if you use gpu only blocks.)

An example build with tri 580s: http://www.overclock.net/t/1150056/build-log-silverstone-ft02-540mm-rad-conversion-updated-all-pics-in-post-1/110

38c9C.jpg

I have the radiator pre-ordered so I'll be trying this out with two 480s and 2500k whenever I'm ready to migrate my system over after the SW:TOR launch. I've been waiting for wide radiator like this that fits the full width of a case for a long time.

Firestorm

5cpGc.png

You need to price match right the fuck now. Click "Start Price Match" at the bottom of the shopping cart page. Then put every item into http://pricebat.ca/

Then put in the lowest price you find + the URL in the space provided.

Smokey

Corsair rebrands a variety of decent to high end.
Top: Seasonic made/designed
Mid: CWT made

FWIW. Just trying to not elevate Corsair into the end all be all company. They do very well in putting value and confidence into their brand though, but I dislike that it trickles down into their CX line when there are better things for the money in that price section (sans CX430).

I got ya. I knew that about the Seasonic deal, but good to put it out there again.

Korey

Putting in my new motherboard/cpu and found a problem.

My old DVD and CDRW drives both use a huge flat "CD-Rom" cord which looks exactly like an IDE cord for old hard drives. My Asus P8Z68-V LX doesn't have an IDE receptor.

1) Do I need to get a new dvd drive?

2) What do newer dvd drives use now? SATA?

3) Any recommendations? I need DVD of course but I also want to burn CDs I can listen to in my car.

Ningo

So for those in the know does this look alright for a corsair force gt 120gb ssd over SATA 2?

Also, what percentage of the SSD should I keep free?

Cheers

Edit. Is removing windows from my old hdd I know use for storage as simple as deleting the windows folder on that drive? Thanks again

Just picked up this baby today from Craigslist:

EVGA GTX 480 Fermi Superclocked Edition 1.8 GB DDR5
Intel i7 870 2.96 GHz
8 GB DDR3 G-Skill RIP JAWS XFan RAM @ 1333
Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI 1156
Ultra X3 1000W 80Plus
Corsair A70 Dual-Fan; 8 fans total
1 TB Barracuda HDD 7200RPM 32MB Cache
ZXT Tower

I got it for $1000, and I am very happy with it so far. I was able to max everything in Skyrim at 1920 x 1800, and it ran as smooth as butter.

Did I get my money's worth?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So for those in the know does this look alright for a corsair force gt 120gb ssd over SATA 2?

Also, what percentage of the SSD should I keep free?

Cheers

Edit. Is removing windows from my old hdd I know use for storage as simple as deleting the windows folder on that drive? Thanks again

Generally about 10%. And yeah, you could just delete most of the directories that were on your old HDD. I've kept mine since I had the space for it, and it's been useful a few times since I could go back in there and grab things.

And yeah, those read speeds look like they are probably limited by SATA2.

Ningo

Generally about 10%. And yeah, you could just delete most of the directories that were on your old HDD. I've kept mine since I had the space for it, and it's been useful a few times since I could go back in there and grab things.

And yeah, those read speeds look like they are probably limited by SATA2.

Thanks. I bought it with the intention of carrying it across when I upgrade sometime next year.

All set for Swtor, hopefully in tomorrow. Also bought http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VE278Q/ to replace my old 22 inch lcd.

Wow. Able to see details better in games but tradeoff is I notice aliasing a bit more so will need to bump up aa in some games. But battlefield 3 looks amazing on it.

1.2GB, with the eVGA 448, people are thinking some batches of them use the GTX480's VRM in lieu of the GTX570. That and the 448 evga classified board has a 6 phase pwm and requires a 6+8 pin power connection.

EVGA GTX 480 Fermi Superclocked Edition 1.8 GB DDR5
Intel i7 870 2.96 GHz
8 GB DDR3 G-Skill RIP JAWS XFan RAM @ 1333
Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI 1156
Ultra X3 1000W 80Plus
Corsair A70 Dual-Fan; 8 fans total
1 TB Barracuda HDD 7200RPM 32MB Cache
ZXT Tower
I got it for $1000, and I am very happy with it so far. I was able to max everything in Skyrim at 1920 x 1800, and it ran as smooth as butter.

If you're happy, yes? Being Craigslist, I don't know if you can work anything out, but you could have had a new, higher performing build for essentially the same amount. The motherboard and PSU in particular are very low end, and ultimately limiting. Saving graces would be the higher VRAM of the GTX 480 over a roughly equivalent GTX 570/GTX 560 Ti 448, and the currently inflated HDD prices' effect on build costs.

Lian Li PC-100.
More reverse airflow. It's been revised since the prototype was shown.

THE HAMMER PC-100
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wrzr5aUxiA

English:
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=586&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61

Qh2au.jpg
NS8PH.jpg

A new i5 2550k was spotted in Intel's database.

FwSGS.png
Also, the C2 stepping Sandy Bridge-E parts:

ouenp.png

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
i7 3770 Ivy Bridge benchmarks :

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-325516-1-1.html, at university atm can't link to pics and all that.

Also my mandarin isn't good... I do not speak it :p but somehow reading:

"纳尼?!1.17V 5G?!太强悍了"

Makes me happy.

edit : probably old though, this post was from december 9th

·feist·;33393497 said:
If you're happy, yes? Being Craigslist, I don't know if you can work anything out, but you could have had a new, higher performing build for essentially the same amount. The motherboard and PSU in particular are very low end, and ultimately limiting. Saving graces would be the higher VRAM of the GTX 480 over a roughly equivalent GTX 570/GTX 560 Ti 448, and the currently inflated HDD prices' effect on build costs.
Hmm... Would you say that they would be significantly limiting? :( I mean, I'm pleased with the real-world performance, and the 3DMark scores weren't bad; I just want to make sure I wasn't bamboozled for say, $400 or more. :p Anything to get out of building my own, it seems...

Hopefully I'll be able to at least fortify its weaknesses in the future.

A FT02 with the triple 180mm radiator should top every other non-specialty case because the total radiator surface area equals 6.75 120mm rads. When you take into account not needing to buy more fans and less fittings, this combo is relatively inexpensive too. (Plus it helps cool your gpus if you use gpu only blocks.)

An example build with tri 580s: http://www.overclock.net/t/1150056/build-log-silverstone-ft02-540mm-rad-conversion-updated-all-pics-in-post-1/110

38c9C.jpg

I have the radiator pre-ordered so I'll be trying this out with two 480s and 2500k whenever I'm ready to migrate my system over after the SW:TOR launch. I've been waiting for wide radiator like this that fits the full width of a case for a long time.

·feist·;33389341 said:
If you're willing to mod, the FT02 is surprising flexible. That, and the R3 essentially demand modding to make the most of them. For non-modding, the other two can do at least about 240.2 rads in stock form, though you may need to place a set of fans, or a rad, on the top side of the case.

Don't take this the wrong way, but $1,900 build where none of it is eaten up by a monitor or any expensive boutique parts, yet there's a single 6950, Arctic Silver 5, Corsair TX, and a Hyper 212+? No bueno.
The OCZ SSD is also debatable. Looks like a few different members have already offered some good advice.

Like TheExodu5 said, it has the same amount of memory as a GTX 570, with 570-like performance. What's often overlooked is how the lower-priced, after-rebate 570s are mostly reference cards, and cheap custom models. That includes stock 570 VRMs, which can be problematic. For the same price, or lower, you get a quality custom 560 Ti 448 like the MSI TF III Power Edition. No rebate needed. There's little guidance on the 560 Ti 448s, so even lower end cards are nearly all faster than the loose 448 reference spec.

sweet thank you gents. ft02 it is!
also, which water cooling kit is that guy using?
smokey, pack up that sexy case. :)

bro, you got robbed.
with those spec, you should've paid no more than $700 max.

http://www.chiphell.com/thread-325516-1-1.html, at university atm can't link to pics and all that.

"纳尼?!1.17V 5G?!太强悍了"

Makes me happy.

1.17v 5ghz?! damn.
im pushing 5.0ghz now on 1.42v with my 2600k.
wonder if 6.0ghz can be stable on IB.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
1.17v 5ghz?! damn.
im pushing 5.0ghz now on 1.42v with my 2600k.
wonder if 6.0ghz can be stable on IB.

I doubt it, even 5GHz for day to day use will probably be about as rare as it is on SB. It's on a smaller node (22nm vs 32nm for SB) so voltages are going to be lower overall. No idea what voltages would be, but it's possible 1.17v could be "high" for these CPUs.

Edit: Maybe not. Looks like others are hitting 5GHz at 1.2-1.3? I doubt 1.3 is a safe voltage to run at 24/7 on a 22nm chip. In fact I would think 1.2v would be "high" in the same way 1.4v is high for SB, but that's just a guess.

Hmm... Would you say that they would be significantly limiting? :( I mean, I'm pleased with the real-world performance, and the 3DMark scores weren't bad; I just want to make sure I wasn't bamboozled for say, $400 or more. :p Anything to get out of building my own, it seems...

Hopefully I'll be able to at least fortify its weaknesses in the future.
There are reputable retailers that will build your PC for ~$30-50. It's just that you bought a CPU on a dead socket, when even a non-hyper-threaded, current gen i5 2500K would have given you more real world performance, on average. This is all while running cooler, and consuming less power. The motherboard is dated, lacking in features, and not a great overclocker. The PSU is overkill, and I'd be wary of its efficiency. While I'm not familiar with that specific platform, the OEM isn't one I'd buy from. Either you or the seller should've been more aggressive with a lower selling price.

sweet thank you gents. ft02 it is!
also, which water cooling kit is that guy using?
smokey, pack up that sexy case. :)
Magicool Extreme Triple 180mm x 35mm Slim Radiator (MC-RADI180X3). I posted it a few pages back, along with the above PC, and some other water cooled FT02s. You even quoted my post, silly.

"纳尼?!1.17V 5G?!太强悍了"

Makes me happy.

IIRC, the VID was ~1.17v, and the user was operating ~1.3V, or so. Sorry, didn't pay it much attention.

ah, you are correct sir.
thanks for the heads up.
gonna be my first water chilled setup.
although having an exterior water chiller is a bit overboard.
should be a fun project.

Prosper

Neo Member
Just about to order my parts for my first build but thought I'd get some opinions from around here first before I did (especially since I got some of the ideas for parts from here). All comments are welcome.

Prices are in AUD

Dtb2K.png

sercotel

Neo Member
Hi gaf,
First of all sorry for my english I'm from spain and I'm still learning.
That said yesterday my parents computer graphic card broke so I'm looking for a new one. They don't need a gamer card or something near that, a card that is able to reproduce videos and some games like Team fortress 2 is ok.
They had a geforce 8400 gs and it worked fine so with a cheap card will be fine.
I'm buying it in the internet and I found these cards and I think I'll be enough.
Asus GeForce EN210 Silent 1GB GDDR3 Low Profile Tarjeta Gráfica --29e
MSI GeForce 210 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--31e
EVGA GeForce 210 1GB DDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
Gigabyte GeForce GT 210 512MB GDDR2 Tarjeta Gráfica--34e
Asus GeForce GT 520 Silent 1GB GDDR3 Low Profile Tarjeta Gráfica--40e
Those from nvidia
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
MSI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 512MB GDDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
Asus Radeon EAH5450 SILENT DI 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--33e
Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1GB GDDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--35e
Asus HD 6450 SILENT 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--38e
And those from ati.
I don't care about nvidia or ati. I don't plan on upgrading that pc. Which one will you choose ? Thanks a lot

scogoth

Hey guys, this is the SSD I'm thinking of getting for XMAS

OCZ Vertex 3

How is it for the price? And will it work without issue on a 2010 Macbook pro?
Thanks!

Don't buy it for your Macbook Pro. Your Macbook only has a SATAII connector and you would be paying a premium for the latest SATAIII ssds.

I would look into a Vertex 2 or other last generation sandforce drive because OS X does not support TRIM and sandforce drives have good idle garbage cleanup to maintain drive performance.

Don't buy it for your Macbook Pro. Your Macbook only has a SATAII connector and you would be paying a premium for the latest SATAIII ssds.

I would look into a Vertex 2 or other last generation sandforce drive because OS X does not support TRIM and sandforce drives have good idle garbage cleanup to maintain drive performance.

Oh wow, interesting, I had no idea. So I just saw this one on sale at Newegg for $150 after rebate and although its SATA3, its less expensive than the SATA2 drives. Will the SATA3 just not work well because of the TRIM stuff?
OCZ Agility 3

scogoth

Oh wow, interesting, I had no idea. So I just saw this one on sale at Newegg for $150 after rebate and although its SATA3, its less expensive than the SATA2 drives. Will the SATA3 just not work well because of the TRIM stuff?
OCZ Agility 3

SATAIII(6gbps) will work with SATAII(3gbps) but won't get any speed benefit over a regular SATAII drive. I'm just letting you know its not worth paying a premium for SATAIII speeds when you can't utilize it. Compatibility wise there is no problem.

TRIM is something different, its a command the OS sends to the drive to clean up unused space to maintain the drive. Since OS X does not support this command it is recommended you buy a drive that can maintain itself without the TRIM command, such as sandforce based drives (OCZ, Corsair, OWC, Patriot, etc)

Naka

Just put my machine together yesterday but my idle temps without any kind of overclocking seem a tad high. I'm idling at 40 degrees Celsius. I used arctic silver 5 and did the spread method with a credit card to apply the thermal grease. Should I try to re-seat it or maybe reapply the thermal grease? Here are my system specs:

i5 2500K
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
16gb Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
Cooler Master 212 Evo Heatsink/Fan
Corsair Carbide 500R case
Corsair HX750 PSU
EVGA 570 GTX
Corsair Force GT 240gb SSD

The airflow seems great as all the cables are out of the way and hidden.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I want to make sure I'm stable before I overclock it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Intel 320 and Crucial M4 for SSDs.
I'll keep saying it until I get a good argument otherwise, although some of the newer Sandforce drives haven't seem to have died as much or had as many issues.

Unless you are an enthusiast the M4 should meet and exceed expectations already.
Just put my machine together yesterday but my idle temps without any kind of overclocking seem a tad high. I'm idling at 40 degrees Celsius. I used arctic silver 5 and did the spread method with a credit card to apply the thermal grease. Should I try to re-seat it or maybe reapply the thermal grease? Here are my system specs:
SB CPUs sensors aren't the most accurate at lower temps. Reseat with a 3-4mm ball and push the cooler on it. AS5 also has a cure time so give it a week it should drop 2-3C

Naka

Intel 320 and Crucial M4 for SSDs.
I'll keep saying it until I get a good argument otherwise, although some of the newer Sandforce drives haven't seem to have died as much or had as many issues.

Unless you are an enthusiast the M4 should meet and exceed expectations already.

SB CPUs sensors aren't the most accurate at lower temps. Reseat with a 3-4mm ball and push the cooler on it. AS5 also has a cure time so give it a week it should drop 2-3C

Okay cool I will try that. How do I clean off the existing thermal grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom