• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

Will be mounting my H100 later on this week on my i7 2600k. I'm planning on getting rid of the pre-applied thermal paste and buying an aftermarket one. My cousin who is helping me build is a hardcored AS5 user, but I've heard good things about IC Diamond 7 so any opinions here? I just heard though that ICD7 is very hard to apply on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I like ICD7 because I got free samples and they did some pressure contact testing to find out how much force you really need on a heatsink (above 35 psi iirc).
It works well, non conductive, non capacitive, no cure time, is made of diamonds, and polishes metal. It is thicker than most pastes.
It used to be more expensive but everyone jacked up paste prices for some reason. MX-4 is also an easily recommended one.

Really, there are so many brands it is hard to go wrong, it's not like AS5 is bad, there are just better options now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Will be mounting my H100 later on this week on my i7 2600k. I'm planning on getting rid of the pre-applied thermal paste and buying an aftermarket one. My cousin who is helping me build is a hardcored AS5 user, but I've heard good things about IC Diamond 7 so any opinions here? I just heard though that ICD7 is very hard to apply on.

Probably not worth it, Corsair's coolers come with pretty good stuff pre-applied (Shin Etsu X23 IIRC). Then again it was pretty well caked on my H50, so you might see better temps with your own application.

And for most thick/harder to apply thermal paste, I've heard you can make it easier to apply by putting it in a ziplock bag and running it under hot water. Never tried it myself though.

Soi-Fong

I like ICD7 because I got free samples and they did some pressure contact testing to find out how much force you really need on a heatsink (above 35 psi iirc).
It works well, non conductive, non capacitive, no cure time, is made of diamonds, and polishes metal. It is thicker than most pastes.
It used to be more expensive but everyone jacked up paste prices for some reason. MX-4 is also an easily recommended one.

Really, there are so many brands it is hard to go wrong, it's not like AS5 is bad, there are just better options now.

Is there any good method to applying the paste? I know my cousin uses a defunct credit card to spread the paste.

Repgnar

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Using an Asus M50S laptop right now. (Intel Core 2 Penryn processor T9300 2.5GHz MB 800FSB / 3 GB DDR2 / GeForce 9500M GS)
Budget: Around $800 to $900 in the United States
Main Use: Gaming and general usage
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, Lol, and Dota 2
Are reusing any parts?: Just a monitor
When will you build?: Would like to be able to build it by the end of this month
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes)

Looking to get my next computer and want to get a desktop this time with my schooling almost done. I have read the first two posts and some of the guides linked related to building a computer. Made a possible build that I want to make sure is all right. Just wanted to know if there is anything that could be changed to save money or exhanged to get something better for a similar price. Have a monitor and still need to decide on a case, probably something basic looking. I picked a SSD that was posted a few pages back because it was a good value. Plan is to get a bigger hard drive once prices drop later on and make due with the SSD size for now. The build comes from the two guides posted in the OP and some of the higher rated items on Newegg. Any information would be appreciated, like if it's all compatible or if I missed anything, thanks. (Prices might be a bit off since I put the list together a little over a week ago)

Graphics card: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604 - $249.99
Storage: SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171545 - $134.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 - $29.99
Case:
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply – http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI - $68.99
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 - $219.99
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729 - $169.99
OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS 24X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS – OEM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 - $18.99

Echoes

EDIT: PROBLEM FIXED. Thanks!
Hey guys. I need some help. :( I bought ASUS G74SX some days ago, and clearly there are some problems. I'm convinced it's software-related and not hardware, but I'm noob so I really hope you could help me fix this thing. I initially consulted the guys at the Skyrim Modding thread, but that maybe a bit out of their area. They were kind enough to offer suggestions, but nothing seemed to help.

I'm going to copy my posts there.

i7 2.2Ghz
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 560M 3GB
SSD

Portal 1 runs on 200fps. Oblivion runs on 60 capped. Skyrim, however, runs on 17fps even on the lowest settings. My native resolution is 1080p. I tried 720p, and it runs 30~40fps on Medium. Ultra @ 720p doesn't get above 28fps.

Why is this happening?

The 560M is nearly as fast as a desktop 5770, so we should be seeing much better performance than this out of the box, especially on Nvidia hardware.

I want to check some things. Some are simple and may come off like silly questions.

Do you see 8 threads in Task Manager?

Are you on Power Saver?

Have you done any shadow tweaks?

Run CPU-Z while Skyrim is open and report the CPU speeds.

Run GPU-Z while Skyrim is open and check the Sensor tab to make sure the 560M is at full 3D clocks.

I'm also curious to know what kind of performance to get on the default driver your machine shipped with originally.
I havn't done any shadow tweaks. I'm in "High Performance" setting. I took these CPU and GPU pics whil running the game in Windowed Mode, at 1440x810 (it was still very bad).

cpuz.GIF

gpuz.GIF

I downloaded the latest stable (not beta) driver for my GPU, but will install it after I hear your thoughts on the pics above. I said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a downright noob who wants to have some fun, so forgive my ignorance towards everything. Thanks for the help, man.

EDIT: Read the description in this video. That's the performance I should be getting.

Now I'm settled on this: 1366x768 AA 4, AF 16, Ultra (except for Shadow Details = Medium). Solid 30fps. Tried overclocking a bit and it started going to 40 (and never below 31). HOWEVER, anything on 1080p is absolute crap; 13~17fps. Fine, but other users with my same setup ar reporting 50fps / Ultra / 1080p, so there's something off.

I really hope we (you guys, lol) can solve this.

I see no speedstep options in the BIOS. I tried running CPU-Z again with Skyrim in Windowed Mode, and it hovers between 2800Mhz (multiplier x28) and 800 (multiplier x8). That's wrong as it should be stable running that shit.. I installed Prime95 and did the "Blend test", and CPU-Z shows high core speed all the time, unlike in Skyrim.

Sigh. Any ideas? :( 5 days with no Skyrim. Really sad.

1323703193-capture-gif-109kb.gif

Found some old photos on my HDD. Feels so nostalgic.

IWjHGl.jpg

tn49Gl.jpg

dPAXsl.jpg

Man, I loved those cards, even though SLI was really, really terrible back then. :lol

"You have two monitors? How cool is that?"
"Yeah, thanks. Can I play a game now?"
"With SLI?"
"Of course!"
"Well, then you better reboot and permanently disable one of those fancy monitors!"
"Ohhhh, I see ..."

So damn annoying.

SATAIII(6gbps) will work with SATAII(3gbps) but won't get any speed benefit over a regular SATAII drive. I'm just letting you know its not worth paying a premium for SATAIII speeds when you can't utilize it. Compatibility wise there is no problem.

TRIM is something different, its a command the OS sends to the drive to clean up unused space to maintain the drive. Since OS X does not support this command it is recommended you buy a drive that can maintain itself without the TRIM command, such as sandforce based drives (OCZ, Corsair, OWC, Patriot, etc)

Thanks for the help!

kpeezy

Banned
Does anyone have any thoughts on a build for under $300? It doesn't need to include a hard drive, ROM, or a GPU.

I've come up with an i3 540, corsair 430w psu, cheapest mobo on newegg, case, ram for $250 after a couple of rebates.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics card: EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604 - $249.99
Storage: SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171545 - $134.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 - $29.99
Case:
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply – http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ... EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI - $68.99
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 - $219.99
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729 - $169.99
OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS 24X DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS – OEM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204 - $18.99

Might consider this 2x4GB RAM for $35. You won't notice a difference in 1333 and 1600 in your usage, so you may as well double your RAM for $5 more. It's "value" RAM, but as long as you're not overclocking it should do you fine. And it still has a lifetime warranty like all G.Skill's other RAM.

(Edit: This 8GB RAM is $30)

You could probably also step down to a P67 board since you don't need any of Z68s extra features, that could save you a little money. I usually recommend the basic P8P67 board since it offers pretty much everything the general user/gamer is going to want. But the one you have listed is fine.

For a basic looking case, the Fractal Design cases are probably your best bet. Or if you want to spend a little less (and of course, get a little less) the Bitfenix Shinobi is a good option.

Don't have a heatsink picked out for your "Maybe/Yes" OCing choice. Since you're going with the 2500k+P67 or Z68 board you may as well go all the way and add in a cooler. Hyper 212+ is fine.

Repgnar

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. I'll change to the P67 board and grab one of those ram sets instead. Most of the guides said four GB was enough but if the price is that close, or even similar, I will just go ahead and get eight. I don't plan on overclocking right from the start so I didn't price a cooler. Had a fellow gaffer build a computer earlier this year and he didn't pick up a cooler until a couple months later (still hasn't overclocked his). I should be fine without one from the start as long as the case is good enough right?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Found some old photos on my HDD. Feels so nostalgic.
I used to have the same motherboard back in the day :brofist:

Also, today I finally got my new motherboard. This time I went with the gen3 version of the p8z68v-pro. Currently installing programs and copying files over :)

Revoh

PC-GAF, I need help. My PC doesn't boot anymore, this is the first problem ever that I got since July when I built it. It tries to boot but then just shuts down again. Did I fucked up my i5 2500k? I OC'd a few days ago to 4.2 Ghz from stock, ran Prime95 and didn't get any erros so.. I don't know.

I already tried switching power cables, removing the CMOS Battery, even cleaning it up lol.

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1FYE-84-A&feature=g-upl

OK, after doing my research I've found a thread about my problem: Gigabyte Boot Cycling Problem

I will never buy another piece of GB hardware in my entire fucking life. This is unacceptable. And I can't return this POS MB because my uncle brought me from the US (I paid in advance :/) and I'm from Paraguay. So now all I've left is to save and get another motherboard.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can't speak for Seagates current offerings, but the price is good.
-
Have you messed with disabling PLL overvoltage, running your mobo at 100MHz BLCK, and perhaps running your RAM at spec (if it isn't) or loosening the timings?

Mr. Robot

Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. I'll change to the P67 board and grab one of those ram sets instead. Most of the guides said four GB was enough but if the price is that close, or even similar, I will just go ahead and get eight. I don't plan on overclocking right from the start so I didn't price a cooler. Had a fellow gaffer build a computer earlier this year and he didn't pick up a cooler until a couple months later (still hasn't overclocked his). I should be fine without one from the start as long as the case is good enough right?

I guess so, but with this baby at $20, why wait to get a cooler?

Aselith

Is there a quick key way to switch between show desktop on monitor 1 and show desktop on monitor 2? I have a smaller LCD for web surfing and shit and a HD TV for gaming potentially and I'd like to be able to switch them up on the fly. If I duplicate the desktop on both it makes the TV lose signal for whatever reason and makes the monitor look weird (don't know how else to describe it, it just looks a little off)

Revoh

Can't speak for Seagates current offerings, but the price is good.
-
Have you messed with disabling PLL overvoltage, running your mobo at 100MHz BLCK, and perhaps running your RAM at spec (if it isn't) or loosening the timings?

Finally I was able to fix it. It has taken me like a hundred tries to finish the process of copying the content of the backup BIOS to the main BIOS because the computer restarted every damn time while doing it, so after trying A LOT eventually the copy was successful. I reflashed the BIOS again later just to be sure.

Before the problem my 2500k was OC'd to 4.5 Ghz and my RAM to 1600 Mhz, now after flashing the new BIOS everything is back to stock, should I OC'd again or leave everything at stock?

I don't know what BLCK is but now it's running at 100MHz, I didn't touch the RAM timings, and will also check on that PLL thing.

Sorry about the nerd rage from the last post, I was dealing with this problem for a week now and just a few minutes after posting it I fixed it.

knitoe

Finally I was able to fix it. It has taken me like a hundred tries to finish the process of copying the content of the backup BIOS to the main BIOS because the computer restarted every damn time while doing it, so after trying A LOT eventually the copy was successful. I reflashed the BIOS again later just to be sure.

Before the problem my 2500k was OC'd to 4.5 Ghz and my RAM to 1600 Mhz, now after flashing the new BIOS everything is back to stock, should I OC'd again or leave everything at stock?

I don't know what BLCK is but now it's running at 100MHz, I didn't touch the RAM timings, and will also check on that PLL thing.

Sorry about the nerd rage from the last post, I was dealing with this problem for a week now and just a few minutes after posting it I fixed it.

Lock the BLK = 100, disable Internal CPU PLL and manually change your ram speed / timings to spec. Then, overclock again to 4.5GHz. If you don't know what they are or how to, time to google and read up.

TheBez

My friend needs to install Vista but doesn't have a disk. Is there anywhere online where you can get a safe executable to install Vista provided he has his own cd key?

Hey guys. I need some help. :( I bought ASUS G74SX some days ago, and clearly there are some problems. I'm convinced it's software-related and not hardware, but I'm noob so I really hope you could help me fix this thing. I initially consulted the guys at the Skyrim Modding thread, but that maybe a bit out of their area. They were kind enough to offer suggestions, but nothing seemed to help.

I'm going to copy my posts there.

you need to open the nvidia control panel and tell the os to launch the exe files for specific games using the nvidia 560m gpu (the "high-performance nVidia processor") instead of the integrated gpu on the intel chip.

yup, optimus sucks. i blame intel.

Mr. Robot

Guys im going to get a 6870, but i just wanted to know if getting a 2GB version would make a difference in performance if im not using Eyefinity?
I've seen people complaining in the BF3 thread, about their cards not having enough memory and such...

Installed my 5 new Scythe 120mm Kaze-Jyun 1900 RPM fans that I got last week from Newegg for $24.

Wow, what a difference. Even on 40% power (via fan controller), they push what feels like the same amount of air that my Rosewill/Coolermasters pushed at 100%. On 100%... well, they're noisy as fuck, but they flow SO well.At 60% and below, they are very quiet but flow more than enough for my 2500k + GTX 570. My CPU idle temps dropped a good 3-4c. My GPU load temps dropped a good 4-5c! Very impressed.

Now I just need to use some WD40 or 3-in-1 oil to lubricate them and make sure they keep working. Highly recommended if you have a fan controller.

Guys im going to get a 6870, but i just wanted to know if getting a 2GB version would make a difference in performance if im not using Eyefinity?
I've seen people complaining in the BF3 thread, about their cards not having enough memory and such...

Eh, those people are usually full of it. As long as you have over 1 GB of VRAM, you're fine in BF3. 2 GB of VRAM is important for Skyrim, though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After playing BF3 for 2 hours, I get blue lines all over the screen and then it turns black & BF3 exits. After a few seconds, the screen goes back to normal. I'm sure the card is hot because I can feel it getting hotter in my room. However, the card is running at stock clocks with the high flow bracket installed. Right now I'm running evga oc scanner and the card is at 82C. Is that too hot for the card? My case is a HAF X by the way...

So I see the pre-built guides in the OP, and I like what I see.
I'm looking to build mid-January, what if anything is likely to change, and would I gain much if I waited until late-Jan-to-mid-Feb?

Your Current Specs: Laptop only - 8600M GT ooooooh yeah
Budget: $600 to $800 - USA
Main Use: Light Gaming (e.g. BF3 on OK settings, not maxed out), General Usage
Monitor Resolution: 24" 1080p
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: BF3, Skyrim, Diablo 3
Are reusing any parts?: None at all - although I do have a Windows 7 license, KB/M, monitor
When will you build?: Early-to-mid January, can wait if the reason is "good enough"
Will you be overclocking?: No (I am a wuss. If you convince me there is some "safe" level of OCing though...)

Naka

I'm a moron... I somehow left the plastic film on the heatsink on the part that touches the CPU... Don't know how I missed it. After taking it off my temps are now idle around 30-33.

RS4-

Is there a quick key way to switch between show desktop on monitor 1 and show desktop on monitor 2? I have a smaller LCD for web surfing and shit and a HD TV for gaming potentially and I'd like to be able to switch them up on the fly. If I duplicate the desktop on both it makes the TV lose signal for whatever reason and makes the monitor look weird (don't know how else to describe it, it just looks a little off)

I use a program called Ultramon, great for multi monitor setups. Hopefully that helps

Petrie

Banned
My fans seem awfully loud and I can't seem to figure out how to slow them down with Speedfan like people suggest. Can someone explain the process to simply slow down my case fans?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I used msi afterburner to raise my fan speed a little and was able to play through the rest of the game without any issues. Temps now never go above 73C, so I guess BF3 was just really heating up the card.

cdyhybrid

OK, my parts are here, time to build. I have one of those anti-static bracelets, what common household items can I clip it to for grounding? It's cold as fuck here so I want to be extra careful with avoiding static buildup.

The Newegg assembly video says to touch the metal of the case, but mine is painted black. Will that affect anything?

sercotel

Neo Member
Hi gaf,
First of all sorry for my english I'm from spain and I'm still learning.
That said yesterday my parents computer graphic card broke so I'm looking for a new one. They don't need a gamer card or something near that, a card that is able to reproduce videos and some games like Team fortress 2 is ok.
They had a geforce 8400 gs and it worked fine so with a cheap card will be fine.
I'm buying it in the internet and I found these cards and I think I'll be enough.
Asus GeForce EN210 Silent 1GB GDDR3 Low Profile Tarjeta Gráfica --29e
MSI GeForce 210 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--31e
EVGA GeForce 210 1GB DDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
Gigabyte GeForce GT 210 512MB GDDR2 Tarjeta Gráfica--34e
Asus GeForce GT 520 Silent 1GB GDDR3 Low Profile Tarjeta Gráfica--40e
Those from nvidia
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
MSI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 512MB GDDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--32e
Asus Radeon EAH5450 SILENT DI 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--33e
Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1GB GDDR3 Tarjeta Gráfica--35e
Asus HD 6450 SILENT 1GB DDR3 LP Tarjeta Gráfica--38e
And those from ati.
I don't care about nvidia or ati. I don't plan on upgrading that pc. Which one will you choose ? Thanks a lot
Please anyone can help me ?
Thanks

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any recommendations for pc speakers under $150? I see that the swan m10's are sold out until early 2012 and amazon has the antec rockus speakers for $145...

cdyhybrid

Ok everything is up and running except for it seems my video card. I think I know what the issue is. I'm running the Standard build, GTX 460, and the manual says I need to plug in 2 PCI-E plugs, but my PSU only came with one that's labeled as PCI-E... Am I SOL?

The fan on the card is spinning up, and but when I try to detect the card to DL drivers, it doesn't show up.

I do have two cords that consists of a PCI-Eish plug (one socket is missing, the top middle one) connected to two Molex plugs that only have 3 pins each. Is that what I use for the other slot on my video card?

Edit: yep, that worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom