• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velion

Yep ran memtest also and prime 95 set to focus on RAM. No issues.

Event viewer logs this each time:

"The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa800cd45010, 0xfffff88007d4a330, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004)."

UPDATE: I downloaded a program called "who crashed" which looks at the dmp file. It's 100% an nvidia issues.

BugCheck name: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
Caused by: nvlddmkm.sys
nvlddmkm.sys is part of nvidia drivers so you could try a clean install in safe mode.

I'm soon to be getting a 2nd 6870 to run in crossfire. As far as I know you can pop a cheap Nvidia card in to run PhysX. What would be a decent card for PhysX but nothing more? I don't want to spend too much.

About to order these parts, what do you guys think?

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3 Z68 LGA1155 ATX 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2 PCI B3 Motherboard
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Bl Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory Kit
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM
Seasonic X760 Gold ATX 12V 24PIN 750W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Modular SLI Ready Power Supply
Corsair Graphite Series 600TM Mid-Tower Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT 4 Channel Fan Ctrl No PS MESH Panel
Samsung SH-222BB 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps Sandforce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD
I bought almost the exact same build. You'll be very satisfied :D

mkenyon

Banned
I'm soon to be getting a 2nd 6870 to run in crossfire. As far as I know you can pop a cheap Nvidia card in to run PhysX. What would be a decent card for PhysX but nothing more? I don't want to spend too much.
I don't know if it is still the case, but Nvidia previously would disable Phys-X if there was an AMD card in the system.

Also, don't buy a second 6870 unless you're willing to make custom crossfire profiles for the games you play, or can wait a week or so for official profiles to be released for AAA games. If those sound fine to you, then by all means.
Ugh, just read online that the PC case I ordered, the Corsair 600TM, can't have the front/top fans removed because of the size is custom...

FML
Hunh? I have my 600T entirely pulled apart right now, with no fans on it. Top 200mm can be removed for 2x120mm fans of your choice. Front can be replaced with any 200mm of your choice outside of NZXT because they have proprietary mounting holes for their 200mm fans. Whoever said that you can't is flat wrong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

GTS 250 or 450 probably. 450 uses less power but is actually a little slower, believe it or not.

And you'll have to do a bit of modding to get it to work. Basically it's changing the vendor ID of the AMD card(s) to Nvidia.

I would get a 6970 over the 570 for having 2GB over 1.3, more future proof. I know it's mostly Nvidia fanboys here though so I'm sure you will refuse to buy any AMD card. But that's what I would do, 570 already does not have enough VRAM let alone going forward. Look at me for a good case in point, when I bought my 4890 in 2009, many advised me 512MB was more than plenty. I stuck to my guns and got the 1GB version, making it a MUCH more viable card today.

I would also DEFINITELY get 16GB RAM in any build I built today. The stuff is cheap as water, but you can be sure if you go to upgrade your RAM in a few years, it will be quite expensive, so buy all you'll ever need now, at the time of your initial build when it's cheap.

I learned this the hard way, bought 4GB of DDR2 in my 2008 build, now I really wish I had got 8GB. But at this point since I did 4X1GB sticks, I would have to basically throw out my old RAM and purchase 8GB of new DDR2 in 4x2GB format, which now goes for about $80. Not worth it, would be better off putting $80 toward a new build.

The point is there will come a time in 2-3 years when 8GB will seem a little light, but by that time DDR3 will be a lot more expensive.

Edit: Speaking to fna84's build.

Honestly it's a weird time to build/upgrade. The next time I really think a big jump in PC specs will be needed is when the new consoles hit in 2-3 years. Until then your power will be idling. Accordingly, personally I may try to string along my aged Q6600 build even longer.

I would get a 6970 over the 570 for having 2GB over 1.3, more future proof. I know it's mostly Nvidia fanboys here though so I'm sure you will refuse to buy any AMD card. But that's what I would do, 570 already does not have enough VRAM let alone going forward. Look at me for a good case in point, when I bought my 4890 in 2009, many advised me 512MB was more than plenty. I stuck to my guns and got the 1GB version, making it a MUCH more viable card today.

I would also DEFINITELY get 16GB RAM in any build I built today. The stuff is cheap as water, but you can be sure if you go to upgrade your RAM in a few years, it will be quite expensive, so buy all you'll ever need now, at the time of your initial build when it's cheap.

I learned this the hard way, bought 4GB of DDR2 in my 2008 build, now I really wish I had got 8GB. But at this point since I did 4X1GB sticks, I would have to basically throw out my old RAM and purchase 8GB of new DDR2 in 4x2GB format, which now goes for about $80. Not worth it, would be better off putting $80 toward a new build.

The point is there will come a time in 2-3 years when 8GB will seem a little light, but by that time DDR3 will be a lot more expensive.

I wouldn't buy either one of those cards at this point. He might as well wait it out and see what's going on with the new cards early next year.

I don't know if it is still the case, but Nvidia previously would disable Phys-X if there was an AMD card in the system.

Also, don't buy a second 6870 unless you're willing to make custom crossfire profiles for the games you play, or can wait a week or so for official profiles to be released for AAA games. If those sound fine to you, then by all means.
I don't mind waiting to be honest. I'm more so going for the 2nd because of price. I've seen a few performance charts and they seem to scale well. It's more for costs sake really. If the performance charts were correct, I can't really go wrong for an extra £150

GTS 250 or 450 probably. 450 uses less power but is actually a little slower, believe it or not.

And you'll have to do a bit of modding to get it to work. Basically it's changing the vendor ID of the AMD card(s) to Nvidia.
I'll price them up now.

Cheers for the replies chaps.

mkenyon

Banned
When crossfire profiles are working (and with soon to be released tools, that should be a lot more often), the 6870 scales extremely well. There's still that little issue of microstuttering. Outside of a few titles, I didn't get it too much with my 5870 crossfire setup. Been recently using 5850 crossfire on a second rig for when folks come over. No microstutter in DoTA2, Tribes: Ascend, or Skyrim.

Here's an article Tom's wrote about it.

That's not really nice, and factually incorrect. I have 3 AMD GPU rigs in my house, 1 Nvidia. Hazaro has CF6950s. Also, there's only one game that suffers from the lower VRAM, and that's BF3 at ultra settings. When we're talking about 1080P, outside of a few titles, 1.2GB of VRAM is hardly outdated. It's more about the games in question than a straight blanket statement. I only play Tribes: Ascend and DoTA 2. I need raw processing power and smooth multi-GPU profiles, so my main rig has 560Ti's.

Smokey

Edit: Speaking to fna84's build.

Honestly it's a weird time to build/upgrade. The next time I really think a big jump in PC specs will be needed is when the new consoles hit in 2-3 years. Until then your power will be idling. Accordingly, personally I may try to string along my aged Q6600 build even longer.

It's not a weird time to upgrade. The 2500k/2600k are fast as hell, and if you want faster/more cores you can step up to the SB-E platform. If you want a top end Nvidia card, there are versions out with 3GB (580) and 2.5GB (570). Nobody knows when the 600 series is coming, but we know the AMD 7000 series is around the corner. I see nothing wrong with buying a Nvidia card today. Nvidia has more features (Phsyx, proper 3D etc), and by others accounts the better drivers. When I had a single 580 with 1.5GB, beyond Crysis 2 at Ultra settings/High Res pack nothing slowed that card down with regards to VRAM.

You can wait all you want in the PC game, you'll always be hearing in x months this will be out. If you want Nvidia now is a good time to get one, if you want AMD it's not. Pretty simple.

mkenyon

Banned
You can wait all you want in the PC game, you'll always be hearing in x months this will be out. If you want Nvidia now is a good time to get one, if you want AMD it's not. Pretty simple.
Eh, I'd only suggest buying something Nvidia if you already have a 580 or 570 and want a second. Or, if you *must* buy a computer in the next few weeks. Otherwise, it'd be silly to not wait 3 weeks to see what the 79xx has in store. I'm mostly saying this as therapy for myself to not buy a Hydro Copper Classified 590 or 580. Must... wait....

Eh, I'd only suggest buying something Nvidia if you already have a 580 or 570 and want a second. Or, if you *must* buy a computer in the next few weeks. Otherwise, it'd be silly to not wait 3 weeks to see what the 79xx has in store. I'm mostly saying this as therapy for myself to not buy a Hydro Copper Classified 590 or 580. Must... wait....
What if I was looking at the 560ti level (I was planning on buying in the next few weeks, or more specifically, today)? No preference between ATI/Nvidia, just was planning on getting the price/performance sweet spot. Don't want to spend more than $250 on a video card (don't even want to spend that much but I'll live if it's worth it like the 560ti).

mkenyon

Banned
What if I was looking at the 560ti level (I was planning on buying in the next few weeks, or more specifically, today)? No preference between ATI/Nvidia, just was planning on getting the price/performance sweet spot. Don't want to spend more than $250 on a video card (don't even want to spend that much but I'll live if it's worth it like the 560ti).
6950 is a better card at that level.

Naka

Got my i52500K overclocked to 4.5 ghz on 1.26 vcore. I originally had it set to 1.25 as per the guide but it crashed on me after about 30 minutes of prime 95. The crash log error code was specific to vcore. I bumped it up to 1.26 and it seems stable so far after over an hour of prime 95. Gonna keep it going to be safe.

mkenyon

Banned
Got my i52500K overclocked to 4.5 ghz on 1.26 vcore. I originally had it set to 1.25 as per the guide but it crashed on me after about 30 minutes of prime 95. The crash log error code was specific to vcore. I bumped it up to 1.26 and it seems stable so far after over an hour of prime 95. Gonna keep it going to be safe.
If you need it stable for encoding or heavy CPU work, be sure to run Small FFT rather than blend.

Naka

If you need it stable for encoding or heavy CPU work, be sure to run Small FFT rather than blend.

Hmm okay good to know, I can try that. How long should I run that test? An hour or so? I dont know if I will do anything involving heavy CPU work but probably better to be safe?

Naka

Eh, I don't bother with it on my gaming rig. Blend still stresses a CPU far more than any game will.

Alright, this is my gaming rig so I probably wont even bother. The only thing I might do that is semi CPU intensive would be compiling code in visual studio, but I rarely do that at home these days anyway.

nvlddmkm.sys is part of nvidia drivers so you could try a clean install in safe mode.

I deleted all nvidia traces using driver sweeper and now I reinstalled. Will game later to see how it goes.

Before i was getting crashes/reboot jsut in desktop mode. So far so good. We'll see though.

6950 is a better card at that level.
And price? At that price I'd be more inclined to shove back in to the 6850/70 territory, based on what the benchmarks look like going from 6870->560ti->6950 and save the $100.

edit: looking at prices it seems like the 6950s are dropping, even for a sapphire or MSI (zotac may as well not exist)

Naka

Damn after over two hours or prime 95 I got the same BSOD relating to not enough vcore. I kicked it up to 1.27 and will try again. At what point do I need to stop upping the vcore and take the multiplier down from 45 to 44 or something?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Damn after over two hours or prime 95 I got the same BSOD relating to not enough vcore. I kicked it up to 1.27 and will try again. At what point do I need to stop upping the vcore and take the multiplier down from 45 to 44 or something?

I wouldn't go over 1.35, some people are fine with 1.4 though. 1.27 seems a little low for 4.5GHz though.

And Intel Burn Test or even OCCT will probably find errors quicker than Prime. You could probably run Intel Burn Test first and if you can pass that, then run a long Prime test, might save you some time.

Naka

I wouldn't go over 1.35, some people are fine with 1.4 though. 1.27 seems a little low for 4.5GHz though.

And Intel Burn Test or even OCCT will probably find errors quicker than Prime. You could probably run Intel Burn Test first and if you can pass that, then run a long Prime test, might save you some time.

Okay I'll try Intel Burn Test. Is 2.52 the latest version? It's the latest I could find googling. What stress level and how many times to run do I want to use?

I started at 1.25 based on the guide in the OP and it seems to suggest 1.24-1.27 for 4.5 so that's why I'm in this range. I can go higher I just wasn't sure what was safe.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd say 1.30 for 4.4Ghz. Some chips can certainly do the listed range, but overall on how everything works it is a decent starter guide.

Naka

I'd say 1.30 for 4.4Ghz. Some chips can certainly do the listed range, but overall on how everything works it is a decent starter guide.

Should I kick the multiplier down to 44 and up the voltage to 1.3 then? Right now I'm at 4.5 and 1.28. About to run another Intel Burn Test.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I'll try Intel Burn Test. Is 2.52 the latest version? It's the latest I could find googling. What stress level and how many times to run do I want to use?

I started at 1.25 based on the guide in the OP and it seems to suggest 1.24-1.27 for 4.5 so that's why I'm in this range. I can go higher I just wasn't sure what was safe.

Had to check, but the default settings look fine. Could raise the amount of times to run it to 8 or 10, but if you're just doing it as a quick test before Prime it doesn't really matter.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Should I kick the multiplier down to 44 and up the voltage to 1.3 then? Right now I'm at 4.5 and 1.28. About to run another Intel Burn Test.
If you aren't erroring stick with what you have.
I like starting high and working down so I get less BSODs.

Naka

Thanks guys, appreciate the help and advice. Intel Burn Test was stable with my vcore at 1.28. Guess I'll give prime a long run while I head off to an all afternoon meeting.

Varna

When is Nvidia next batch of CPUs suppose to launch? Interested in upgrading my GPU. I was thinking about getting the 590 GTX but it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade since it only has 1.5GB memory (and I'm already seeing issues with vram in BF3 with the same amount on my 580).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
When is Nvidia next batch of CPUs suppose to launch? Interested in upgrading my GPU. I was thinking about getting the 590 GTX but it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade since it only has 1.5GB memory (and I'm already seeing issues with vram in BF3 with the same amount on my 580).

This is not proven to be true/false so take this slide for what it's worth, rumours :

133a-635x416.jpg

'
Also I keep reading people using bf3's vram usage as a barometer that 1.5gb isn't enough. I'm using 1gb gpus at 2560x1440 and I can easily use AA at that resolution without running into vram issues in 99% of the games I've played lately.

Varna

Also I keep reading people using bf3's vram usage as a barometer that 1.5gb isn't enough. I'm using 1gb gpus at 2560x1440 and I can easily use AA at that resolution without running into vram issues in 99% of the games I've played lately.

This was my main concern too. I just realized I've had all the stupid W7 visual flair on. My vram usage was at 250 just sitting on the desktop and in the newer BF3 maps I was hitting as high as 1470. Just went back to classic theme and I'm sitting at 1300 on ultra @ 1080p. So I think I might just snag that 590 GTX when it gets back in stock.

Plus BF3 is just a vram hog of a game. I'd say it's very unlikely to have another that uses as much at 1080p.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I think I might just snag that 590 GTX when it gets back in stock..

People here will advise against a 590 purchase and I share that sentiment, unless there is a space issue, you're much better of buying sli 570s if you're hellbent on going sli.

edit: waitaminute, you already have a 580? Why on earth would you consider anything other than another 580 if you really want a gpu upgrade?

mkenyon

Banned
People here will advise against a 590 purchase and I share that sentiment, unless there is a space issue, you're much better of buying sli 570s if you're hellbent on going sli.

edit: waitaminute, you already have a 580? Why on earth would you consider anything other than another 580 if you really want a gpu upgrade?
PSU, motherboard, and case limitations could all be a factor.
Doesn't BF3 have a GPU memory leak anyways?
Memory leak is RAM, not VRAM.
Can anyone tell me what they think of this pricing? I'm looking to get a GPU later in the future but at the moment I just want a new computer.
To give you an exact idea, folks here would price match the components against their cost at Tiger Direct/Newegg/NCIX/Etc. Try it out.

But, as an opinion on the components, I don't like the case, the Vertex Plus SSD is not the best option, the processor is overkill, and I am clueless about the PSU.

Any particular reason why you liked the kit?

Varna

What's wrong with 590?

A few things.

Space is an issue for me. I would have to get a better PSU since 750w isn't enough for dual 580s. I have a friend that will buy the 580 from me instantly. So that kind of makes getting the 590 cheaper for me at the moment.

I'm still conflicted though.

PSU, motherboard, and case limitations could all be a factor.

Pretty much. I know there have been issues with the 590... but is it really that unreliable?

mkenyon

Banned
Pretty much. I know there have been issues with the 590... but is it really that unreliable?
No, not anymore. But, the point is that when you buy a 590 you are buying a SLI setup of two heavily underclocked 580s.

Check out this thread, and specifically the "Nvidia Double" ladder. A near stock 590 performs worse than my 560Ti's that are overclocked, and gets outclassed by dual 570s. So, when looking at Price:performance, you're much better off with dual 570s or even hopefully dual 580s. You would be close with the prior on a really nice 750W PSU, and certainly don't have enough juice for the latter, which changes your situation. If you add in the price of a nice new PSU, the 590 becomes worth it at that point. Though, a really nice PSU is always a welcome addition to a setup.

Smokey

What's wrong with 590?

A few things.

Space is an issue for me. I would have to get a better PSU since 750w isn't enough for dual 580s. I have a friend that will buy the 580 from me instantly. So that kind of makes getting the 590 cheaper for me at the moment.

I'm still conflicted though.

Don't do it. I'd say maybe if you didn't already have a 580. You do so just get another and a beefier PSU and enjoy improved performance.

Chris R

I'm wondering how much nVidia might adjust their road map based on how well the 7xxx stuff from AMD does. We have already seen Intel push back Ivy Bridge due to the failure that is Bulldozer :(

I don't have a preference one way or the other, I've just owned more ATI/AMD cards because when I built my system the card I got was the performance I needed with the best price/performance point. I guess I could always just get a 6xxx card with my Ivy Bridge build if the 7xxx stuff isn't the greatest and just hold out until the GK110/GK112 stuff drops.

mkenyon

Banned
Seasonic or Corsair, 850-1000W will do you fine. The seasonic platinum 1000 is a masterpiece of a PSU.

Before you go about this, I want you to know, and accept, that you are now venturing into crazy pc performance land. Once you're there, it's hard to escape. Now if you would just sign on the dotted line please.

Smokey

Man I thought I had it all figured out. :(

Any recommendations for PSU for dual 580s?

I have a Corsair AX850 PSU and run SLI 580s. A very good PSU. Or if you want a little more peace of mine you could get a 1000w.

If you go this route I don't think you'll be dissapointed. 2 580s offer a lot better performance than a 590.

Varna

Seasonic or Corsair, 850-1000W will do you fine. The seasonic platinum 1000 is a masterpiece of a PSU.

Before you go about this, I want you to know, and accept, that you are now venturing into crazy pc performance land. Once you're there, it's hard to escape. Now if you would just sign on the dotted line please.

Seasonic looks pretty awesome and not to much more expensive then the typical 850w+ PSU.

One more question before I mortgage my home to pay for all of this (thank goodness for Newegg preferred accounts!). Is stock cooling typically OK for dual 580s? Really happy with the temp on my single, can I expect similar with two ?

mkenyon

Banned
Quick question before you jump in:

Is one of the main reasons you were looking to upgrade VRAM related? Not sure on your resolution. If that's the case, the 590 doesn't actually have 3GB of VRAM.

Also, not sure on your current 580, but nvidia cards are really picky when it comes to what they're being SLI'd with. Make sure you have as close to the same card as humanly possible.

*edit*
For the above question, it depends on the case and motherboard layout. How much space between your two SLI slots? What kind of case do you have?

Varna

Quick question before you jump in:

Is one of the main reasons you were looking to upgrade VRAM related? Not sure on your resolution. If that's the case, the 590 doesn't actually have 3GB of VRAM.

Also, not sure on your current 580, but nvidia cards are really picky when it comes to what they're being SLI'd with. Make sure you have as close to the same card as humanly possible.

*edit*
For the above question, it depends on the case and motherboard layout. How much space between your two SLI slots? What kind of case do you have?

Current 580 has 1.5GB same as the 590. Don't think it will be much of an issue at 1080p will it?

mkenyon

Banned
Shouldn't be, no. Unless there is some game that comes out in the next few years that requires more than BF3, which seems unlikely. Maybe when we get the big generational/engine shift in a few years.

Varna

*edit*

It's easy enough to get the same one.

Far as my case goes I'm currently using Antec Dark Fleet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ckTab=true&Keywords=SLI&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

And mother board is ASUS P8Z68-V PRO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ckTab=true&Keywords=SLI&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

God please don't tell me I need a new case. :X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom