• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm getting ready to assemble the components I purchased and... was my processor and/or motherboard supposed to come with thermal compound? Or was I supposed to buy that separately?

PGamer

fucking juniors
This might seem like a stupid question, but I'm getting ready to assemble the components I purchased and... was my processor and/or motherboard supposed to come with thermal compound? Or was I supposed to buy that separately?
I believe the stock heatsink should come with some pre-applied.

Varna

If it's not pre-applied it should come with some. It's worth investing in some AC5 though.

Korey

Look under the fan thing (heat sink) that came with the processor. Should be some gray stuff already applied there.

Revoh

OC noob here. Does this OC looks fine? I've followed the guide in the OP, leaved Vcore set to auto I believe, BLCK to 100 MHz, RAM set from 1300 Mhz to 1600 Mhz and disabled CPU PPL.
http://i.imgur.com/RKYQI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hUUMJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AYdV2.png
I went from stock CPU speed of 3.3 GHz to 4.0 GHz, ran Prime95 for 1 hour, got no errors, raised 100 Mhz more, ran Prime95 again, and so until reaching to 4.5 GHz.

Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz
212+
Corsair XMS3 4GB 1600 MHz

Is my Vcore right? Or should I lower it?

Thanks in advance

Thanks guys, there're some gray pads (?) on the bottom of the stock heat sink so I guess that's it. I thought that might be it, but wasn't sure; the stuff I used before on my video cards was white and, well, goopier.

Smidget

I'd say on staying away from increasing voltage. You can increase the multiplier without increasing heat.

I tried that out, took a look at the CPU-Z and the vcore stayed the same and only increased the multiplier from 3.3 to 4.0 and my temps got to really high levels (scary even, in the 80s C) while running Prime95. What setting could I be missing that was changing the voltage levels somewhere?

Petrie

Banned
I've got my 2500K and Coolermaster Hyper 212+ hooked up, and currently my CPU is running at 62-65 while running Prime95. Are these acceptable numbers? Could I kick it up a few more notches or?

*edit*

High for stock levels, good for an overclock.

Totally forgot to mention I OC'd to 4.6

mkenyon

Banned
Links to case and mobo
Perfect! Though the case is certainly outdated, it shouldn't have problems. In addition, your mobo has enough space to where the GPUs won't be stacked right on top of each other. If you do notice an increase in temps, I'd suggest throwing a fan on the side panel. If you're still not happy with temps, you could replace the stock fans in the case with better ones. Those aren't requirements, but things to keep in mind if you aren't happy with temps.
I tried that out, took a look at the CPU-Z and the vcore stayed the same and only increased the multiplier from 3.3 to 4.0 and my temps got to really high levels (scary even, in the 80s C) while running Prime95. What setting could I be missing that was changing the voltage levels somewhere?
What was your voltage at during stress testing? Only thing that I know of that does something similar is speedstep or MSI auto overclocking utilities. What mobo do you have again?
Overclocking pictures and questions
Looks good! You can try to decrease volts if you want, but that's a perfectly acceptable level as long as temps look good.
I've got my 2500K and Coolermaster Hyper 212+ hooked up, and currently my CPU is running at 62-65 while running Prime95. Are these acceptable numbers? Could I kick it up a few more notches or?
High for stock levels, good for an overclock.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So I installed a new PSU. Looks like everything is changed.

How do I get my CPU back to 4.4-4.5ghz, I guess turn turbo boost off, etc?

For reference.

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out.

Varna

Everything ordered and it will hopefully be here tomorrow.

That seasonic PSU looks amazing. Detachable wires? FUCK YES.

On the topic of CPU OC. Is there a different between turning off Turbo boost and OC to lets say 4 GHZ or setting up turbo boost to speed up to 4 GHZ?

Tabris

Hey Guys, I am building a HTPC build and need a recommendation. I apologize for asking in this thread but couldn't find anything in my search for off topic threads.

Simple question, in your opinion, what's the best mini-ITX motherboard to handle on-board video processing (at 1080p) and DTS-HD or Dolby-HD decoding through HDMI?

I have all the other components lined up:

- NCIX Intel Pentium Dual Core G620 Processor LGA1155 2.6GHZ 3MB Retail Box $80 (this will be removed if I find an Atom or integrated CPU option that's better or if AMD is better)
- NCIX Kingston Value RAM DDR3 4GBX2 $45
- NCIX Kingston 64GB SSD V100 $80
- NCIX Silverstone SDP08 2.5IN to 3.5IN Converter Drive Bay Adapter $10
- NCIX Antec Microfusion Remote 350 Case $200

quick question:

Is it a waste of processor to install the 32 bit of Windows 7 on a computer with an i5 2500k? I have a 32 bit install ready to go on a USB stick... getting the 64 bit version would be some work. (I hate work.)

Sarcasm

quick question:

Is it a waste of processor to install the 32 bit of Windows 7 on a computer with an i5 2500k? I have a 32 bit install ready to go on a USB stick... getting the 64 bit version would be some work. (I hate work.)

If your system ram is greater than 4GB than yes.

Soi-Fong

Just had a quick question. The Professional 64 bit version of Windows 7; how much space does it take up on an SSD once all updates such as service packs are downloaded?

mug

Hey Guys, I am building a HTPC build and need a recommendation. I apologize for asking in this thread but couldn't find anything in my search for off topic threads.

Simple question, in your opinion, what's the best mini-ITX motherboard to handle on-board video processing (at 1080p) and DTS-HD or Dolby-HD decoding through HDMI?

- NCIX Intel Pentium Dual Core G620 Processor LGA1155 2.6GHZ 3MB Retail Box $80 (this will be removed if I find an Atom or integrated CPU option that's better or if AMD is better)
I'd recommend a solid GPU if you go for the G620 - or the cheaper LLano AMD route as they're equipped with the GPU already. As far as motherboards go an H67 chipset should suit your needs if you go the intel route.

Tabris

I'd recommend a solid GPU if you go for the G620 - or the cheaper LLano AMD route as they're equipped with the GPU already. As far as motherboards go an H67 chipset should suit your needs if you go the intel route.

I need integrated GPU due to case size. What do you think of the following motherboard:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H67I/

or this one:

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3783#ov

(I like the reviews for this one but it's not available on ncix.com or newegg.ca so I would need to order separately from somewhere)

Also how is Zotac as a motherboard brand?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yep. My very first built of my own. Now with modular. I tried my best with hiding the wires.

Going to wait for Ivy bridge and the next Nvidia stuff as upgrades. Don't really need a high end GPU since I do not game on my PC. But it's nice to have in case someone else wants to or just for kicks. I already have over 4TB of space, 16GB of fast ram, Asus 7.1 sound card, and a faster than average SSD so I'm set there.

TWTg8.jpg

QnIaT.png

mkenyon

Banned
Everything ordered and it will hopefully be here tomorrow.

That seasonic PSU looks amazing. Detachable wires? FUCK YES.

On the topic of CPU OC. Is there a different between turning off Turbo boost and OC to lets say 4 GHZ or setting up turbo boost to speed up to 4 GHZ?
Turbo is one core on single threaded applications, multiplier is all cores. Check out the OC guides in the OP, or in the "Race Your PC" thread (which you should add yourself too once you get all the new parts).

I'd suggest a AMD E-350 motherboard/proc combo or a A8/A6/A4 with this motherboard. E-350 will handle win 7 + 1080p, but if you want a bit more gusto out of your proc and GPU, FM1 socket is a great way to go. I prefer both over any intel equivalents for HTPC builds. The computer I'm typing on right now (with keyboard in lap) is an E-350 rig hooked up to my 46" LED TV.

Tabris

What do you guys think of this final build for my HTPC?

• Kingston 2.5 to 3.5IN Brackets and Screws (NOTE: Must Order W/KINGSTON SSD) $3.99
  • Kingston SSDNow V100 Series 64GB 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive $78.99
  • Antec Microfusion Remote 350 mATX HTPC Case 1X5.25 1X3.5INT W/ Built-In LCD Display and IR Receiver $189.98
  • ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe Mini-ITX AMD A75 Fch FM1 DDR3 SATA3 PCI-E16 USB3.0 HDMI DVI DP Motherboard $152.95
  • AMD A4-3400 APU W/ AMD Radeon HD GFX Dual Core Processor Socket FM1 2.7GHZ 1MB 65W $81.75
  • Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit $35.99

Only thing I may be missing is a CPU fan. I wasn't sure if the AMD chips include a stock heatsink/fan like the Intel retail boxes. If it does, does it come with a thermal pad/paste already included (I don't want to have to buy thermal paste separately) If not, what heatsink/fan would you recommend?

OK, finally joined the Intel train during my efforts to put this thing together today. My bi-yearly computer upgrade usually consists of me frantically reading up on what connectors, CPU, and cards have changed during those two years. (Still don't know what AHCI mode means but whatev).

Followed recommendations in OP: Asus p8z68-v mobo, i5 2500k cpu, that Hyper 212 heatsink and a 64 GB SSD. (Outdated GPU that I'll keep for a bit longer.) LIAN-LI case, pretty classy lookin

One annoyance: Why do motherboards still need drivers to be able to go online? I was hoping to skip the optical disk altogether, but had to hook it up to get those drivers off the disk. Meh.

Anyways, this is mainly to say: appreciate the contributors to this thread!

Shitty pic:
ZVk90.jpg

KPJZKC

Urgh...getting severe stability issues. BSOD (0x124 - hardware failure I believe) during any intense 3d gaming (Bad Company 2, Witcher 2, etc). It happens randomly, anything between 5 minutes to 5 hours, but normally under the 30 minute mark.

Computer has been rock solid until a week or so ago - I was tweaking overclock settings when this started, at first I thought maybe I had pushed too far on one of the voltages, but as far as I know everything is within safe values.

I've stresstested everything with no errors (16+ hours of memtest+, 15 runs of intel burn test, 4 hours of prime - each setting, and furmark & occt GPU tests). Has GAF got any thoughts about this for me? I'm resigning myself to having to remove ram/pci cards, etc. Unfortunately this build is kind of old, so no onboard video output, meaning I'm stuck with this graphics card unless I can borrow (or lend it to a friend to test) a different one.

EDIT

Also, everything is back at stock. Reset BIOS (flashed to newest version), and reinstalled Windows. Totally clean, problem persists.

Smidget

What was your voltage at during stress testing? Only thing that I know of that does something similar is speedstep or MSI auto overclocking utilities. What mobo do you have again?

Been messing around with it this morning after my dogs woke me up really early before work....

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3. Everytime I change the multiplier from 33 to 40 my temps increase like crazy. I used some information from http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review to disable turbo mode, ppl overvoltage, c1e, eist, c3/c6, cpu thermal monitor, also went into the voltage screen and took everything off of "auto" and put on "normal". My voltage in CPU-Z looks like it is remaining the same but my temps increase to almost hitting 90C and then I stop in fear! So yeah... I'm apparently missing something! lol

I'd just love to have everything stay the defaults and ONLY touch the multiplier and see what I can get to.

KPJZKC

memtest 86+ overnight

Also how are your temps?

I've done memtest 86+ for 16 hours already, but I guess I can let it run a full 24.

Temperatures are fine, at stock voltage and speed CPU never runs hotter than 51 degrees at full load. GPU is similar, tops out at 47 or so.

(that's a Q9550 and an HD6770, so the temps are well below max).

I'm just trying to rule stuff out, but I'm finding it very difficult to find which part is actually failing from the stresstesting...

aznpxdd

Got this beast today.

20111215_161822.jpg

Love love love how the interior is set up. Dat 180mm fans.

Will be blacking out the gold with either gloss black or carbon fiber vinyl. Should look much better.

Yep. My very first built of my own. Now with modular. I tried my best with hiding the wires.

Going to wait for Ivy bridge and the next Nvidia stuff as upgrades. Don't really need a high end GPU since I do not game on my PC. But it's nice to have in case someone else wants to or just for kicks. I already have over 4TB of space, 16GB of fast ram, Asus 7.1 sound card, and a faster than average SSD so I'm set there.

TWTg8.jpg

QnIaT.png

Tidy up those cables. And that Hello Kitty grenade is blocking airflow in the front.

MedIC86

OC noob here. Does this OC looks fine? I've followed the guide in the OP, leaved Vcore set to auto I believe, BLCK to 100 MHz, RAM set from 1300 Mhz to 1600 Mhz and disabled CPU PPL.
http://i.imgur.com/RKYQI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hUUMJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AYdV2.png
I went from stock CPU speed of 3.3 GHz to 4.0 GHz, ran Prime95 for 1 hour, got no errors, raised 100 Mhz more, ran Prime95 again, and so until reaching to 4.5 GHz.

Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz
212+
Corsair XMS3 4GB 1600 MHz

Is my Vcore right? Or should I lower it?

Thanks in advance

Dont overclock your memory tbh, its not usefull..
Your temp is around 60, quiet high for everyday usage. Also you need to at least run 8hour+ run of prime to see if really stable, prefferably 24h. (i one had an oc that died in 23h)

Petrie

Banned
Is it normal for my OC'd CPU multiplier to drop down when not in use? I have my i5 clocked to 4.6 and when running Prime95 it shoots right up, but when idle it drops down to a 16x multiplier and runs at 1.6. Is this normal or is something off?

FoolsRun

Is it normal for my OC'd CPU multiplier to drop down when not in use? I have my i5 clocked to 4.6 and when running Prime95 it shoots right up, but when idle it drops down to a 16x multiplier and runs at 1.6. Is this normal or is something off?

Assuming you overclocked the turbo multiplier (the preferred method) instead of the base cpu, yes. This allows you to save power when your CPU isn't doing much.

TheExodu5

Banned
Assuming you overclocked the turbo multiplier (the preferred method) instead of the base cpu, yes. This allows you to save power when your CPU isn't doing much.

Overclocking with the multiplier is good, but with the turbo multiplier isn't, since Turbo can only be enabled for "bursts".

That being said, even overclocking with the normal multiplier doesn't screw around with the power saving 1.6GHz SpeedStep. The only thing that will screw with that is if you're forcing the VCore to a certain value, then it won't drop as your CPU goes down to 1.6GHz.

FoolsRun

Overclocking with the multiplier is good, but with the turbo multiplier isn't, since Turbo can only be enabled for "bursts".

That being said, even overclocking with the normal multiplier doesn't screw around with the power saving 1.6GHz SpeedStep. The only thing that will screw with that is if you're forcing the VCore to a certain value, then it won't drop as your CPU goes down to 1.6GHz.

Hmm . . . the majority of literature I've read, including Clunk's guide in the OP, recommends overclocking via the "turbo ratio". Are we talking about the same thing but just using different terminology?

I decided to not overclock my 2500k for the time being because I have an MSI board and I'd rather not lock in a particular voltage for the reason you mention above. It appears with MSI that you either set it to auto and allow it to go too high (over 1.3 for a conservative 4.2 overclock), or you lock in a particular voltage with a manual setting.

vocab

Alright since HDD's prices are shit whats the current go to drive. The best one for price/space ratio. Or is it not possible?

Smokey

Talking with a co-worker about my PSU issues. I mentioned that whenever I have to flip the switch on it multiple times for my machine to come back on my BIOS gets reset. My OC settings, fan settings etc go back to default. He mentioned that CMOS should retain those settings. Well apparently it's not whenever I have to do this? Just wanted to verify if what he was saying was accurate.

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon, thanks for the suggestion about the E350 combo but I think I will do AMD A6.
I'm not familiar with AMD, but this will allow me to use the onboard graphics, correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131764

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103951
The GPU is on the CPU die. That's what's so cool about the two AMD products I suggested.

Also, these procs are one place where fast memory is actually worth it, since your memory essentially acts as VRAM.

Alright since HDD's prices are shit whats the current go to drive. The best one for price/space ratio. Or is it not possible?
SPINPOINT F3 IS $110 TODAY WITH PROMO CODE EMCJHJE29.

mkenyon, thanks for the suggestion about the E350 combo but I think I will do AMD A6.
I'm not familiar with AMD, but this will allow me to use the onboard graphics, correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131764

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103951
Yes. You may or may not be interested in the unlocked A6-3670K that supposed to be released this month:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33198892&postcount=949
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33487109&postcount=958

All depends on how much iGPU power you need, and whether or not you may want to overclock at some point to increase performance.

For any AMD Bulldozer owners here, Microsoft released a scheduler update for Windows 7, which should boost performance, particularly in gaming, and lightly-threaded workloads. Not a perfect solution, or magic bullet, but much better than how things currently sit.

An update to optimize the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs that are used by Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computers is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592546/

Article ID: 2592546 - Last Review: December 14, 2011 - Revision: 1.0

This article introduces an update that optimizes the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs that are used by Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computers. Currently, the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs is slower than expected. This behavior occurs because the threading logic in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 is not optimized to use the Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) scheduling feature. This feature was introduced in the Bulldozer family of AMD CPUs.

Note This issue may occur when you use applications that run in multiple threads.
After you install this hotfix, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 fully support AMD Bulldozer CPUs. Therefore, the CPUs operate at the expected performance level.
For a rough idea of what to expect, check out the last 3-4 ages or so of this thread: AMD | Bulldozer, Fusion, AM3+, FM1, and What's To Come

Revoh

Dont overclock your memory tbh, its not usefull..
Your temp is around 60, quiet high for everyday usage. Also you need to at least run 8hour+ run of prime to see if really stable, prefferably 24h. (i one had an oc that died in 23h)

My memory is 1600 Mhz, it was underclocked by default at 1300 Mhz, so I just "OC'd" to its native value.

What temps are normal with a 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz and 212+ under heavy load?

I will do a 24 hour stress this weekend just to be sure.

vilmer_

TWTg8.jpg

QnIaT.png

Sexay :D

xero273

The GPU is on the CPU die. That's what's so cool about the two AMD products I suggested.

Also, these procs are one place where fast memory is actually worth it, since your memory essentially acts as VRAM.

So getting something like DDR3 1866, would be recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom