• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Who's the most immoral follower in the game? I need one to
sacrifice for a daedric quest
, but every follower I met until now were good people.

If it's any consolation, most followers would cut down a harmless old woman in broad daylight if you told them to, so a lot of them are probably more immoral than you think. ;)

That said, Eola
from the Namira Shrine quest
is somewhat amoral, but she's too awesome a companion for me to sacrifice. A random, nameless DB Initiate would be perfect, too. I prefer to use Housecarls, however. I find killing them in cold-blood to be tasteless. I need a human sacrifice and I need them out of my house. Best of both worlds!

Epix

797725EB343C5BDB535D7ACFCB0A4A7B4C05F431

64467BC2E4C0334D69A96200CDDD63207E5B7C4E

Wanace

If it's any consolation, most followers would cut down a harmless old woman in broad daylight if you told them to, so a lot of them are probably more immoral than you think. ;)

That said, Eola
from the Namira Shrine quest
is somewhat amoral, but she's too awesome a companion for me to sacrifice. A random, nameless DB Initiate would be perfect, too. I prefer to use Housecarls, however. I find killing them in cold-blood to be tasteless. I need a human sacrifice and I need them out of my house. Best of both worlds!

Unfortunately you can't use DB initiates for this quest, I tried.

TTG

I guess I'm an idiot, but I didn't really realize how the skill trees worked until abut level 32. I was waiting to get the last sneak perk, skipping the roll move, the one where you don't activate pressure plates, etc, only to realize how the prerequisites work. In hindsight I feel like a total moron.

Oh yeah, and I have also been slowly getting my smithing up to 100 and hoarding dragon scales to make dragon armor. Well, yeah, I haven't put a single point into the smithing tree. Is it even worth it at this point? I was hoping to get enchanting up there, too, but this is going to take like 15 more levels.

I'm starting to work on my smithing now and I'm not sure either. I know I'm gonna get the perk to improve enchanted stuff regardless, that's absolutely necessary for where I am in the game now. But to improve things further or make them from scratch... I would need to spend like 5 additional perks. I've been stingy enough so far(at level 40) that I can afford it, but there's still other stuff that I'd like to open up further. I'll hold off until it's more clear just how and where I would want to distribute them, I know archery comes first right now.

Speaking of which, I've switched to a sneaky-archer style of play(as recommended) since I've exhausted one handed stuff and it's been great. It's surprisingly deadly, 1 shot kills are especially satisfying. And this is without the zoom and slow time perks! The switch has been a great change of pace 80 hours in.

I'm just now starting to work on smithing as well. Enchanting has been going up steadily, but I haven't put any perks into either of them. I assume I'll have to at some point, if I want to create really great stuff myself, but I've been spending my perks on more things that can keep me alive in combat up until now. I feel like I'm finally starting to be able to explore some of the skills that are more secondary from this point on.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Nightingale armor is so badass, and it has a cloak as a bonus! And with a daedric shield and daedric helmet (with hide helmet mod so i dont look like a fool), it gives me around 500 armor rating, just a little below the cap. Good enough to lvl my light armor skill without suffering too much! By the way, is there some mod that improve the textures on armor? Its kinda low res. :(

screenshot33sswtg.jpg

screenshot329z2xi.jpg

TTG

Just found my first deadric item(not one given via quest), a sword. 72 damage without any kind of improvement? Not bad, ebony does 67. If anyone is wondering, I'm at level 40, so maybe they start to appear right about there.

there are a few roads leading off the map blocked by invisible walls, i presume he found a hole.

Actually, I did it Oblivion-style. There's a way to fall 'under' Whiterun and exit the city without going through a loading screen. This disables invisible walls, but also makes the world a very funny-looking place. The game still counts you as being in Whiterun, even though you're far out.

Outside, everything looks a little bit different...

Especially if you travel further.

But looks can be deceiving: you can walk on that nothingness. Heck, you can see Beth has models of cities and villages, even when you're inside a city. They disappear when you approach them, though, like a technological fata morgana. This is Riverwood.

Further on, Helgen.

Looking back at Skyrim...

And beyond, Cyrodiil.

Even the mountains in Cyrodiil look pretty good... Well, from afar. And you're still running on air.

Eventually I reached Bruma. Or at least, where Bruma would've been.

If you carry on from there, you'll eventually hit the end of the game's walkable geometry, and make a dive that would make Altaïr jealous.

Uh, guys?

It looks like the water of Lake Rumare's actually the game's lowest point... The Imperial Isle cits perfectly upon it. I just swam through the surrounding geometry and there it was, White-Gold Tower.

Needless to say, I made a savegame right before I plumetted into the deep, and I'm keeping it around. I want to go explore Vvardenfell.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Mzulft is long as hell....

EDIT: Oh that hole under Riverrun happened to me. The game somehow failed to load the gate and I just went hanging out the world :p. I have pics too hahaha

Piecake

WTF at the companion quest line
I go to some cave so Kodlack can go to Valhalla or whatever, and the dude dies before I get back? Screw you Bethesda! I liked that old guy

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Nightingale armor is so badass, and it has a cloak as a bonus! And with a daedric shield and daedric helmet (with hide helmet mod so i dont look like a fool), it gives me around 500 armor rating, just a little below the cap. Good enough to lvl my light armor skill without suffering too much! By the way, is there some mod that improve the textures on armor? Its kinda low res. :(
The Nightingale Prime mod looks awesome to me, but I think it's male only. I can't use it because this mod with a scarf that replaces the cape, so it doesn't clip through my cat tail. :p

TTG

Got my smithing up over 60! Took 2 rounds of iron daggering to get it, very painless over all. 60 is the magic number because that allows for improving enchanted stuff. I had saved up some ebony ingots, so I upgraded my stuff right away.

As a result, I've got an armor rating of 547(all ebony except for a special steel helm cause it looks cooler and the spellbreaker dwarven shield) and, depending on the amulets/rings, up to 128 damage from the Dragonbane(epic). The other weapons are at exquisite, presumably because I didn't unlock the perks, so a deadric sword is at 113, ebony mace at 125.

I think that's enough for now, not that making iron daggers from time to time is a problem, I'm just not sure spending so many perks to make stuff slightly better is worth it.

lush

Can Mjoll the Lioness not be used for the Boethiah's Calling quest?
I've ask her to do something and tell her to "Use Pillar of Sacrifice", she replies "No problem, I'll handle it" and continues to just stand there. Am I really going to have to go get someone else?

edit: Nevermind, she can't.

Luthos

So I decided to take the destruction perk that gives your lightning spells a chance to turn enemies to dust. It's awesome, but it sucks against dragons. Because I don't absorb their souls if they turn to dust. =(

lil smoke

Banned
Can Mjoll the Lioness not be used for the Boethiah's Calling quest?
I've ask her to do something and tell her to "Use Pillar of Sacrifice", she replies "No problem, I'll handle it" and continues to just stand there. Am I really going to have to go get someone else?

edit: Nevermind, she can't.
haha great quest that one.

gdt

Ahh fuck. I still have this bug where I cant store things in chests, or trade with anyone. So, I can't complete the Dark Brotherhood quest where I have to store a letter on a body. Any way around this? On pc.

gdt

Ahh fuck. I still have this bug where I cant store things in chests, or trade with anyone. So, I can't complete the Dark Brotherhood quest where I have to store a letter on a body. Any way around this? On pc.

Bah, I even tried spawning that letter in his inventory using the console, but nothing. The quest marker just stays on him. Guess I'll force the next phase of the quest.

So, that quest where a vampire
burns down someone's house
, and then you have to go into the cave and kill the master vampire?

I found her in the cave. She attacked the master vampire along with us and then just chilled in the cave, giving me friendly greetings as I passed by her while looting the cave, as did the guy who's wife she turned into a vampire. Both just stood next to each other, doing nothing. At one point, they started trading idle chit-chat about the war and dragons.

wut

Defending Whiterun was awesome.

Blue, you make that jump seem a lot easier than it actually is.

The jump on top of those dragon heads is a bitch, yeah. Save before doing it. I discovered that standing a bit away from them and jumping forward is the easiest way to get on top of them, but be careful you don't walk straight off again. Save again when you're on top of them, and then edge back as far as you can to one side so you can make a running jump onto the wall.

When you're on the wall, make another save, and be careful when you make the jump down: it's possible to fall straight down and die. Do it like the guy did in the film, by bouncing against a few pieces of geometry.

And then, you're free to go.

CloudWolf

I'm still torn on what side to choose in the civil war questline. On one hand, I like the Imperials and dislike the racism outed by the Stormcloaks. But on the other hand, I do think the Empire shouldn't have made peace with the Thalmor (they deserve to die, all of them) and since my character is a Nord, I imagine him being pretty pissed about the whole Talos-situation. Also, Ulfrich is awesome for how he handled the Forsworn.

Also, I came across this creepy mini-dungeon underneath the College of Winterhold callen The Midden. How is this dungeon not part of some Mages Guild-conspiracy quest? There are signs of necromancy, Deadra worship and human sacrifice all over that place.

Cystm

http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot33sswtg.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/screenshot329z2xi.jpg

Nightingale Prime.

xlilC.jpg

I'm still torn on what side to choose in the civil war questline. On one hand, I like the Imperials and dislike the racism outed by the Stormcloaks. But on the other hand, I do think the Empire shouldn't have made peace with the Thalmor (they deserve to die, all of them) and since my character is a Nord, I imagine him being pretty pissed about the whole Talos-situation. Also, Ulfrich is awesome for how he handled the Forsworn.

Also, I came across this creepy mini-dungeon underneath the College of Winterhold callen The Midden. How is this dungeon not part of some Mages Guild-conspiracy quest? There are signs of necromancy, Deadra worship and human sacrifice all over that place.

Think of it this way.
If you join the Stormcloaks, you'll weaken the Empire and make the Thalmor stronger. If you renuite Skyrim with the Empire, you'll strengthen it and weaken the Thalmor.

There's finer nuances to it, of course, but that's pretty much how I look at it.

TTG

I picked the empire because:

1. The other side came off as racist assholes.
2. I keep hearing that Ulfric shouted the old king to pieces! or whatever, so I'm gonna make sure I fight this guy.
3. The old king's Jarl wife is pretty cool.

I'm still early in that quest line. What I've enjoyed most is doing it at the same time as the dark brotherhood stuff, what a funny clash.

GhaleonEB

Master difficulty has me fleeing from one quest to another as I work on improving my skills and gear. Which I'm enjoying a great deal - loot is actually valuable, as I have stuff I'm saving for. Magic matters, as I work to level and acquire better spells.

I fled from clearing out a fort (high level bandits kill me in two hits) to the main quest (dungeon with the horn demolishes me) to working on the College of Winterhold to get better magic.

I'm decently formidable in direct combat - shield perks are making me a stagger machine - but still can't absorb enough damage. Since my goal is to screw with people as much as fight them, my next acquisition is Frenzy tonight. Should let me wreak havoc on some guys I can't currently.

I really enjoy these early stages where money, gear and perks all really matter. I think this difficulty and play style will help extend that.
I picked the empire because:

1. The other side came off as racist assholes.
2. I keep hearing that Ulfric shouted the old king to pieces! or whatever, so I'm gonna make sure I fight this guy.
3. The old king's Jarl wife is pretty cool.

I'm still early in that quest line. What I've enjoyed most is doing it at the same time as the dark brotherhood stuff, what a funny clash.

I got a bit into the Imperial side of things and became disgusted with that side as much as the Stormcloaks. It's the better route for Skyrim, but I couldn't abide them.

Character #3 will be a beefy orc who specializes in two-handed weapons conjuration, and who will give no fucks about anyone. He'll roll through the Civil War quest for me.

cory021

Neo Member
I think Master difficulty makes the game much more enjoyable for me. I started using it around level 20. With the increased difficulty, you have to play a little more thoughtfully, but clearing ruins and defeating high level enemies is much rewarding. I have this "Two chances" rule, where if I die twice to the same area, I leave the area uncleared with the intention of coming back the next time I come by that area.

The only problem is the game still gets relatively easy with a Heavy Armor Nord tank in the later levels. I'm only level 33, and most dragons can be taken out with a handful of strikes from Dawnbreaker.

I'm kind of excited to start my second playthrough with a Breton mage. I'm sure that the first 15 levels will be a humbling experience at master difficulty.

nel e nel

It is nasty that you don't get any warning about that.
I missed the stone the first time, and read an easy way (glitch) to get back into the embassy with a horse, tried and it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk9hcG3xl84

OH SNAP! I picked that one up, but I guess I haven't initiated that quest yet as they are still labeled 'unusual gem' in my inventory.

At least I know I don't need to worry about not being able to complete that quest. However, there is a book for Urag that is showing up on my map right there, not sure if it's in the Embassy or somewhere around it yet though.

nel e nel

The larger the soul gem used, the longer the charge. Or more accurately, the larger the soul.

I only use filled grand soul gems for enchantments. My bows would last 150-200 shots per charge.

Talk to the inn keeper. I just - literally 10 minutes ago - finished clearing that barrow.

Actually, this is determined when you enchant a weapon (not apparel). When you are in the enchanting menu, after you select your item, then your enchantment, another sub-menu pops up with a slider that lets you select how many hits your weapon gets before it needs recharging. The higher the damage, the less the number of hits and vice versa.

I know some folks don't want to bother with recharging that much so they enchant their weapons to have +1 enchanted damage with like 200+ hits per charge. I prefer more damage, so I'm recharging more frequently. I don't mind though as I have a plethora of soul gems, even after using them liberally.

GhaleonEB

Actually, this is determined when you enchant a weapon (not apparel). When you are in the enchanting menu, after you select your item, then your enchantment, another sub-menu pops up with a slider that lets you select how many hits your weapon gets before it needs recharging. The higher the damage, the less the number of hits and vice versa.

I know some folks don't want to bother with recharging that much so they enchant their weapons to have +1 enchanted damage with like 200+ hits per charge. I prefer more damage, so I'm recharging more frequently. I don't mind though as I have a plethora of soul gems, even after using them liberally.

That's what I was talking about. The larger the soul used to enchant a weapon, the more uses per charge. The max on the slider is different depending on the size of the soul used. At least, that's my understanding.

nel e nel

That's what I was talking about. The larger the soul used to enchant a weapon, the more uses per charge. The max on the slider is different depending on the size of the soul used.

Huh, that's not how I understood it.

What I'm talking about is the overall number of enchanted hits your weapon can hold. I thought that you determined how many hits your weapon held based on how much damage each hit did. I noticed that when I made my shock mace, I would get 25 or so hits with +12 damage, but 100 or so hits with +6 damage.

And then, as you said, the larger the soul gem you use the more hits get charged. So if you have a +12 shock mace, it will get filled up with a petty gem because you only get ~25 hits with it before it needs to recharge. But if you have a +1 shock mace, you'll need several petty gems to recharge because you get ~300 hits.

I'll take a closer look next time.

EDIT: take a look at this and hopefully it will clarify what I'm trying to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL1nvf0It_E

Fast forward to 3:40 and he is frost enchanting a sword, you see the slider menu come up. At +9 damage it gets 97 hits before a recharge, and at +10 it gets 86 hits before a recharge. Basically, you determine how many charges a weapon has while enchanting it, but there are payoffs/drawbacks for more charges/more damage. (i.e. at +8 it would have 106 hits, at +7 it would have 115 hits, etc).

Apparel on the other hand has a more direct 1:1 ratio based on the size of the soul you use. So if you're enchanting armor with Fortify Health, you'll get +22% with a grand gem, but +10% with a petty gem.

GhaleonEB

Huh, that's not how I understood it.

What I'm talking about is the overall number of enchanted hits your weapon can hold. I thought that you determined how many hits your weapon held based on how much damage each hit did. I noticed that when I made my shock mace, I would get 25 or so hits with +12 damage, but 100 or so hits with +6 damage.

And then, as you said, the larger the soul gem you use the more hits get charged. So if you have a +12 shock mace, it will get filled up with a petty gem because you only get ~25 hits with it before it needs to recharge. But if you have a +1 shock mace, you'll need several petty gems to recharge because you get ~300 hits.

I'll take a closer look next time.

EDIT: take a look at this and hopefully it will clarify what I'm trying to say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL1nvf0It_E

Fast forward to 3:40 and he is frost enchanting a sword, you see the slider menu come up. At +9 damage it gets 97 hits before a recharge, and at +10 it gets 86 hits before a recharge. Basically, you determine how many charges a weapon has while enchanting it, but there are payoffs/drawbacks for more charges/more damage. (i.e. at +8 it would have 106 hits, at +7 it would have 115 hits, etc).
We're talking about the same thing, but there is an aspect you are not understanding. The ranges on the slider you are describing are defined by the size of the soul gem you select.

Step 1: pick your weapon.

Step 2: select enchantment.

Step 3: select the # of strikes via the slider. The less damage per strike, the more strikes you get. However, the number displayed on the slider is the maximum the weapon can support - it is displaying the grand soul gem capacity.

Step 4: pick your soul gem. If you use a grand soul gem, you get the # of strikes you selected. If you pick a smaller one, the # of strikes is less.

So the number of strikes per charge is based on both the number you picked from the slider, and the soul gem you use for the enchantment.

As the UESPWiki puts it:

To Enchant an item
  • Use an Arcane Enchanter.
  • Select the item you wish to enchant.
  • Select the enchantment you wish to apply.
  • Select the soul gem you wish to use. The type of soul gem affects the amount of charges on a weapon or quality of the enchant on apparel

You can see this by selecting your enchantment, then picking a small soul gem. Then check the power of the enchantment: the % for armor or maximum number of strikes for a weapon will be small. Then select a larger soul gem, and both have now increased. In my test just now, a petty soul gem put a maximum of 10 maxed out blows to an enchanted sword; my grand soul gem put just shy of 100 as the high end of the slider. Similarly, my armor enchantment went from 1% (petty) to 20% (grand).

Hope that helps explain what I meant. It is for this reason that I only use grand soul gems for enchanting; I can get the maximum damage per strike and still get a very large number of strikes per charge with them.

Top Bottom