• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just remembered since the Wii-U is BC with the Wii i wonder what happens with save files for games such as MHTri and Brawl for people who have not modified their Wii (Actually this also applies to people who have modified their Wii as well), especially MHTri (I have no intention of putting in all those hours again to gain back everything i had in that game).

I'm hoping for a system transfer option like DSi to 3DS, or 3DS to 3DS.

Instro

e-reader would be neat, particularly with the Nintendo Power. Screen resolution on the controller worries me a bit though.

If nothing new comes out of CES, which it most certainly won't, when's the next major show?

They surely can't leave us guessing till E3. If they do, the tension/pressure levels will be absolutely CRITICAL. GAF will explode if we dint get anything until E3!

Wait, maybe that's the plan... No hype whatsoever, then while everyones distracted by NEXTBOX, BAM, Nintendo hits us like a freight train with awesome announcements, stealing the show.

GDC would be the next big one I think.

McHuj

They surely can't leave us guessing till E3. If they do, the tension/pressure levels will be absolutely CRITICAL. GAF will explode if we dint get anything until E3!

They have to show something in Japan, don't they? You would think that since that Nintendo's home turf, they would like to have a Japan event, waiting until September for TGS would be too close to launch.

I'm going to guess that right around Mar/Apr there will be an event in Japan.

If nothing new comes out of CES, which it most certainly won't, when's the next major show?

Wait, maybe that's the plan... No hype whatsoever, then while everyones distracted by NEXTBOX, BAM, Nintendo hits us like a freight train with awesome announcements, stealing the show.
I don't think we'll hear anything significant outside of E3, unless something leaks.

Ryoku

I really hope they up the resolution on the controller to a point where the pixel density is high enough that a higher resolution won't really matter anymore.
I really do like how they're aiming the Wii U to be an entertainment hub for the living room. More possibilities.

Agreed, I would not mind seeing them taking on this iOS and Android dooming consoles and portables head on.

I am all for the Nintendo Power mag thing I am all for this. Still like everything Nintendo does the tech never matches for best results. I would love a higher res screen for this kind of thing.

I know animated gif avatars are gone, but I keep expecting the eyes in yours to open.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
They have to show something in Japan, don't they? You would think that since that Nintendo's home turf, they would like to have a Japan event, waiting until September for TGS would be too close to launch.

I'm going to guess that right around Mar/Apr there will be an event in Japan.

Right, that is what I am thinking as well. Spring event in Japan seems to be a necessity, unless they plan an even to coincide with E3.

LOCK

Please let those recent rumors be correct. I would love to have Nintendo Power available digitally.

Also with GTAV on Wii U I see a lot of potential, but the best Nintendo could do is get exclusive DLC that uses the tablet in some unique way.

I kinda like these little bits of info coming out if they drip enough of them out Nintendo may feel the need to talk about them earlier

I know animated gif avatars are gone, but I keep expecting the eyes in yours to open.

that would be freaky maybe I should just sneak one in with my eyes open in a few days :p

Caelus

Nnnnngh.

I just want Wii U Zelda to look like this:

1173168708079.jpg

1173168808773.jpg

1173169027757.jpg

Do it Nintendo! Or Retro if they are commissioned to do this! Day one.

DCKing

Let's be honest, who would actually use it as an e-reader? There's no way I'm going to be reading books on my TV or my Upad when I have better stuff lying around.

It's the other apps, including iPad like games, where it's at.

watershed

Banned
Let's be honest, who would actually use it as an e-reader? There's no way I'm going to be reading books on my TV or my Upad when I have better stuff lying around.

It's the other apps, including iPad like games, where it's at.

That's a good question especially if the console has to be turned on just to use the tablet as an ereader. But I'm all for extra functionality as long as Nintendo doesn't try to make it a big selling point.

I remember Iwata talking about the idea of having the 3ds download newspapers through spotpass first thing in the morning so that you can read it when you wake up. I remember thinking, "no one is gonna use that feature". But who knows?

royalan

Because of the apps? Nah that won't change a single thing.

More like the screen.

To even be a halfway decent e-reader they're going to need to up the quality of the screen up from what we've been led to believe it is.

Not to mention a capacitive screen and maybe even multi-touch for IOS apps to be worth it.

I think these are good ideas, but I'd much rather Nintendo not waste resources on something that could only ever be half-assed. E-readers and apps on a low-res resistive screen that won't function a certain distance from my console is pretty half-assed.

Nintendo will fuck it up in some way. It will always remain the inferior experience because of its very nature. The iPad will always have more apps, better apps, better screen (especially the ipad 3), and so on and so forth.

Not against an app store for the Pad, I just don't think it's going to be that good either way.

watershed

Banned
Nintendo will fuck it up in some way. It will always remain the inferior experience because of its very nature. The iPad will always have more apps, better apps, better screen (especially the ipad 3), and so on and so forth.

Not against an app store for the Pad, I just don't think it's going to be that good either way.

I still wonder how hard Nintendo is gonna push any tablet like features of the wii u. The demo video showed video sharing, face time, and a few other things but I imagine its not gonna be a serious effort. I think its more like how the 3ds can take pictures and play music but that's not what you use it for.

I still wonder how hard Nintendo is gonna push any tablet like features of the wii u. The demo video showed video sharing, face time, and a few other things but I imagine its not gonna be a serious effort. I think its more like how the 3ds can take pictures and play music but that's not what you use it for.
I agree with this. I'm sure they'll come up with random features but it will always remain secondary to the fact that it's a videogame controller. And there aint nothin wrong with that imo.

ASIS

More like the screen.

To even be a halfway decent e-reader they're going to need to up the quality of the screen up from what we've been led to believe it is.

Not to mention a capacitive screen and maybe even multi-touch for IOS apps to be worth it.

I think these are good ideas, but I'd much rather Nintendo not waste resources on something that could only ever be half-assed. E-readers and apps on a low-res resistive screen that won't function a certain distance from my console is pretty half-assed.

Nah, remember this is the company that released the speaker on the Wiimote. I'm willing to bet my life that it will feel half assed since it's not exactly the big selling point of the system (the e-reader, not the sceen itself I mean).

Dammit... I really wish Nintendo would just release next gen Wiimote instead :(

Kindle Fire Screen Size and Res

1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi or 6.06" x 3.55", 16 million colors.

how much of a boost does the uPad need to match this?

PetrCobra

I would like them to make their online stores available in more countries.

Well, it's true that I have to set up my Nintendo consoles to another country (UK) to be able to use their e-shop on Wii and 3DS, but that doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they are checking IPs to determine availability for stuff like Nintendo Video and EuroSport.

While forcing customers to fake their country to be able to BUY something is dumb, I feel like I am being robbed of the free stuff just because of some legal nonsense and because I don't live inside the supported territory.

Paul Gale indeed was referring to a Wii U game and fixed the typo:

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...rk-has-one-last-tease-for-you-a-2012-shocker/

We obviously ain't getting media since Nintendo is on a media cockblock, but if we get some concrete details on a real new game, that'll be fine with me.

Perhaps he'll have an interview and maybe at most a logo to back up his info? This is sounding like an unveiling and not an announcement of an announcement of a rumor.

watershed

Banned

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...rk-has-one-last-tease-for-you-a-2012-shocker/

We obviously ain't getting media since Nintendo is on a media cockblock, but if we get some concrete details on a real new game, that'll be fine with me.

Perhaps he'll have an interview and maybe at most a logo to back up his info? This is sounding like an unveiling and not an announcement of an announcement of a rumor.

Well the one crowding pleasing, Wii U and 3ds confirmed game we know of is Smash so maybe he has a scoop on that. Whatever it is I hope someone will just reproduce the important text on Gaf, there's something about that site that I just don't like.

DCKing

UPad's ppi is ~160. Not bad by today's standards, and probably the best possible for a pad that costs ~$50 to make. It won't compete with 2012 tablets though.

Lego City Stories.
Unless Nintendo is going all out on Pikmin, and they are making Pikmin 3DS and Pikmin 3 for the Wii U. For cross-platform stuff.
Honestly though, its probably a third party title if anything.

Lego City Stories.
Unless Nintendo is going all out on Pikmin, and they are making Pikmin 3DS and Pikmin 3 for the Wii U. For cross-platform stuff.
Honestly though, its probably a third party title if anything.

I suspected Lego, but this seems to be a new game, and of course it'll be a western 3rd party game, Nintendo ain't giving Paul a huge exclusive unveiling when they are hardly letting anyone talk about Wii U games at all.

Thraktor

Nnnnngh.

I just want Wii U Zelda to look like this:

1173168708079.jpg

1173168808773.jpg

1173169027757.jpg

Do it Nintendo! Or Retro if they are commissioned to do this! Day one.

Personally I'd be happy to see Wii U Zelda look like this:

image.php

Given that Skyward Sword's only just out, I'd imagine Wii U Zelda is still a long way away. In the meantime, I'd love for them to go the whole hog and release a Wii U collection of every Zelda game ever made*. All the home console games, all the portable games, even Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures. Keep the 2D ones as they are, update the 3D titles to 1080p, with AA and AF and redone HD GUI elements, and throw inventories/etc. on the controller screen. Call it "The Master Collection" or something like that, put it in a nice box with a nicely produced book on the series (a translation of that one that was released recently in Japan would do the job), charge anywhere up to €100 for it and I'd buy it day one. Given how amazing The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword look in HD on Dolphin, I wouldn't be surprised if plenty of others would do the same.

Actually, for that matter, they should do the same with Mario...

...and Metroid...

...and F-Zero...

...hell, they'll basically need to remake every game they've ever made in HD to make me happy.

When I say every Zelda game ever, I'm obviously not including those CDi games, however fascinating it would be to actually play them

wsippel

Banned
I wonder if Retro will keep using Unreal Engine on Wii U. Surprisingly enough, that's actually the engine Metroid Prime 1 - 3 ran on (heavily modified UE2), as was recently uncovered. Kinda surprising that neither the engine nor Epic was mentioned anywhere in the credits, though. And I'd guess Epic would have loved to use those games to brag, as Metroid Prime 1 was the highest rated and probably the most beautiful Unreal Engine game when it was released.

HylianTom

Banned
re: Assassin's Creed, etc..

Is anyone else here picky about jumping into the middle of a series without having played previous installments? I'd love to see a mainline Assaasin's Creed game for Wii U (hey Ubi: you can shove the spinoff/sidequest shit back into your poopers), as it would mean better appeal for a wider audience of gamers, but if I haven't played the first two AC games, then no thanks.
(Unless there's a port of the first two.. hmm.. issue solved.)

What I would especially love is if Nintendo went into partnership with third parties to develop new IPs. That, and just outright buy third parties; if you can't entice 'em with kissy-poo politicking and moneyhats, use a bit of financial force.

Vinci

Danish
What I would especially love is if Nintendo went into partnership with third parties to develop new IPs. That, and just outright buy third parties; if you can't entice 'em with kissy-poo politicking and moneyhats, use a bit of financial force.

Nintendo won't buy 3rd parties like that. It doesn't work well.

Thraktor

I wonder if Retro will keep using Unreal Engine on Wii U. Surprisingly enough, that's actually the engine Metroid Prime 1 - 3 ran on (heavily modified UE2), as was recently uncovered. Kinda surprising that neither the engine nor Epic was mentioned anywhere in the credits, though. And I'd guess Epic would have loved to use those games to brag, as Metroid Prime 1 was the highest rated and probably the most beautiful Unreal Engine game when it was released.

Wait, what? When/where was this revealed?

DCKing

Wat. Link please.

^^^

Very interesting...

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067

Metroid Prime runs on a very heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 2. You can certify this to yourself by looking at the text box next to Asset_CMDL_EditorModel. Notice the word "/cooked/" in there.

For those of you who have worked with the Unreal Engine, you'll know what this is, else, you might wanna read. Cooking is a term for compiling all of the maps, scripts, materials, etc. you've made into one usable executable, or "game". It was used primarily for consoles, although now support has come out for PC cooking, resulting in faster loading times.

They also used Unreal's level streaming feature. This is highly detailed in Unreal Engine 3, but was also present in 2. It's funny how Retro got a private license for this stuff yet never sought to bring it out.

I also can confirm some UnrealScript source files exist on disk, which I am attempting to extract. Will probably branch this off into a separate thread for loads of fun and wackiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom