• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Also their bubble burst years ago, 2009 I think it was. Just look at the stock price. At that point it became quite apparent things were not going to go as well for them over the next few years. Yes, drops are normal as the cycle winds down but the Wii one has been pretty steep. MS managed to revive their console and give it a second life.
The system peaked in 2009. That's a far cry from "bubble burst."

Did the Rabbids not jump ship to X360 or was I just dreaming it?

Ubisoft and exclusives can last you a year at most now with the SD to HD port barrier removed exclusive for WiiU seems that much harder unless the game is deeply uPad focused
Which dream are you referring to? Rabbids didn't start exclusive.

All of which they won't do. That's not Nintendo. ESPECIALLY not with a western game like CoD.
They've done things like that in the past for western titles. Why wouldn't they do that again.

It's safe to say that if Nintendo wanted an exclusive GTA and offered them a blank check to pay all the dev costs, required zero input(i.e. Rockstar gets to make the game however they want), and offered a guarantee against say 10 million sales, TTWO would snap accept that deal before you could say E3 megaton. The problem is that Nintendo(or MS/Sony) would never agree to take on that kind of risk. If the game bombed for whatever reason(or had dev troubles, never came together and had to be cancelled) there is nothing the execs could say to keep their job after they just gave another company a bunch of money without any oversight and they lose most of it.

At the end of the day I think we'd be more likely to see a hardware manufacture buy Rockstar(and all the ip) from TTWO then we would see them take on the risk of fronting a huge amount of cash for a game they have no control over. Even if it cost 5-10 times as much they wouldn't have all the risk tied up in one game.

MS or Sony could get away with probably not having to guarantee a certain amount of sales considering their consoles histories of selling huge numbers of popular AAA 3rd party games but I don't think either company wants to take on that risk when they can just sit back and collect royalties on 10 million+ sales without having to pay anything.
Just after the GTA5 trailer was released, TTWO announced that they were selling notes for $200 million. Any palm greasing by the first parties will be done in that. They'll "invest" not outright "moneyhat."

ASIS

The Wii is the only console released in the history of our industry to go from beginning a gen selling hand over fist and generating record-breaking profits to ending the gen selling the least amount of units monthly, suffering poor software sales and non-existent 3rd party support. It's also suffering from a year-long drought that has been broken up by the release of only 1 notable game despite still being the undisputed market leader.

Granted, console gaming is still a relatively young hobby, but the Wii's unprecedented rise and fall within the same gen is a feat worth studying and the very definition of a bubble burst.

Nintendo got a lot right with the Wii, but as we're seeing now, they also got a lot wrong. And I think a lot of the blame can be put on Nintendo once again neglecting to create a healthy and competitive platform for 3rd parties.

This is absolutely the main reason why Wii is having such a hard time. I would go as far as say it's the only reason why the rise and fall happened in the first place. It's like Nintendo was telling the developers "either us, or them" with their design choices. Hopefully WiiU will remedy that problem.

Just after the GTA5 trailer was released, TTWO announced that they were selling notes for $200 million. Any palm greasing by the first parties will be done in that. They'll "invest" not outright "moneyhat."

My scenario involves a company paying them money before they even start making the game, it's what it would hypothetically take for exclusivity.

Vinci

Danish
There will never be an exclusive GTA console title. Doesn't matter how much money Nintendo offered - the games bring in too much money. It's not quite as delusional as imagining anyone could afford to bring a COD title exclusive, but it's not too far from it either.

There will never be an exclusive GTA console title. Doesn't matter how much money Nintendo offered - the games bring in too much money. It's not quite as delusional as imagining anyone could afford to bring a COD title exclusive, but it's not too far from it either.

TTWO as a company hasn't even made a profit since GTA IV released, it's not a company that could turn down a good deal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
anyone know if the Wii U will include the wiimote and the new wiiu controller?

No. We really hardly know anything about the system yet, let alone what it will be packaged with.

[Nintex]

Didn't they also publish and market MH3 in the states? The fact that Nintendo is willing to develop new controllers (Classic Controller Pro, Circle Pad Pro) specifically for a juggernaut 3rd party exclusive demonstrates volumes about their initiative....or NOJ's initiative, at least.

Yep. Nintendo should hire a new NoA president, maybe Warren Spector or someone like him, who has a development history is well liked in the industry and not just some marketing dude like Reggie. Kinda like a Satoru Iwata but for the US market. They should give NoA money to make good deals with third parties and some cash to set-up more first party development studios outside of Japan. For Europe they should hire a guy like Martin Hollis.

I understand why NCL hasn't given NoA much to work with. I wouldn't trust Reggie running multiple development studios either.

Nintendo's never going to land AAA western 3rd party exclusives on the level of COD or GTA, no one is going forward. I'm a little surprised they held on to Just Dance as long as they did to be honest, plus the LEGO GTA clone has real breakout potential.

The key to exclusives is still Japan, though even that's changing console side. What Nintendo has to worry about isn't nabbing exclusives in the west, it's ensuring that Wii U gets every desirable multiplatform game. That means not just the usual from EA, Activision, Ubisoft and THQ, it means also actively courting Bethesda, Valve, Rockstar, Blizzard and so on.

Nintendo doesn't have to money hat giant games to come only for their console, but they can pull a MS + Bungie type deal or something of the like where they create a partnership deal for a new series or a certain amount of games. The days of stealing exclusives is (just about) over, but creating partnerships, is that so farfetched?

royalan

Why are people so fixated on the [crazy] idea of Nintendo getting GTA V exclusive on the Wii U? There is no way that is ever going to happen. It's so unlikely that even just discussing it is kinda silly...

Besides, Nintendo's focus shouldn't be on 3rd party exclusives. As budgets become more demanding those are going the way of the dodo bird. Nintendo's focus needs to be on 3rd party support, period.

People seem to have forgotten that Nintendo's done the 3rd party exclusive thing before. The Wii had Metroid: Other M and will have Dragon Quest X; the Gamecube had that glorious Capcom partnership that netted remakes of the Resident Evil series and the best version of Resident Evil 4. Did any of these partnerships change the fate of their respective Nintendo consoles? Nope. It's going to take a lot more than Nintendo tossing us a bone with a few partnerships that don't lead to continued and varied support.

Nintendo just needs to make their console as friendly to 3rd parties as possible. That's it. They don't need the most powerful hardware. But they DO need to cut the crap about where "they" think gaming should be, and release hardware that is not in any way locked out of what their competition is doing due to their own arrogance. They need comparable hardware, comparable developer freedom (large devs AND indie devs), and a comparable online infrastructure that will allow for all the bullshit DLC and patching that 3rd parties insist on. All Nintendo needs is a system that allows 3rd parties to develop AND port their games with as few issues as possible.

Make a console that's a blank canvas and screams "LET ME PRINT MONEY FOR YOU" and any 3rd party that loves being on the forefront of technology but doesn't like being in the red will come running.

Besides, Nintendo's got some killer exclusives in their own IPs. If they can get 3rd party support, even if it's just ports, then they can elevate their own IPs to the level of "Killer Exclusive" instead of "The Only Reason To Buy Our Hardware."

I don't understand this desperate desire for GTA on Wii U, whether it is an exclusive or not. Regardless of how awesome the game is/isn't, it will only sell to a small base on a Nintendo console (the people that want it will buy it on PS360). The majority of people that own Nintendo consoles these days just aren't interested in GTA. Get over it. I'd like to think Nintendo understands this and doesn't go around money hatting for things like this, just to get a 250k sales of a game.

I don't understand this desperate desire for GTA on Wii U, whether it is an exclusive or not. Regardless of how awesome the game is/isn't, it will only sell to a small based on a Nintendo console (the people that want it will buy it on PS360). The majority of people that own Nintendo consoles these days just aren't interested in GTA. Get over it. I'd like to think Nintendo understands this and doesn't go around money hatting for things like this, just to get a 250k sales of a game.
uhhh that's basically everything that's wrong with nintendo. They NEED those people that buy games like GTA. You know why? Those are the same people that line up at midnight for random games, they are those people that actually do this wild thing called buying games that aren't mario or wii ____ games. Nintendo wants that audience, that audience is required to gain more 3rd party support.

If it were up to you nintendo would just admit defeat on that front and just do the exact same thing as the Wii and pray to god it catches the same lightning in a bottle.

GTA isn't even good. :/
there's a difference between not preferring it and calling it outright bad. I don't LOVE it, but that's just me, I recognize how great it is though in terms of what it does in the genre. GTA games and a game like RDR are unmatched experiences in their respective genres.

uhhh that's basically everything that's wrong with nintendo. They NEED those people that buy games like GTA. You know why? Those are the same people that line up at midnight for random games, they are those people that actually do this wild thing called buying games that aren't mario or wii ____ games. Nintendo wants that audience, that audience is required to gain more 3rd party support.

If it were up to you nintendo would just admit defeat on that front and just do the exact same thing as the Wii and pray to god it catches the same lightning in a bottle.

there's a difference between not preferring it and calling it outright bad. I don't LOVE it, but that's just me, I recognize how great it is though in terms of what it does in the genre.
I agree with your point, but if Nintendo wants these people, the company needs to release a next gen console that doesn't just have the technical capabilities of PS360 and provide online capabilities and an online store system that isn't stuck in a dark ages. Before anyone throws out the 'how do you know how powerful Wii U is gonna be' card, even if it is (by the numbers) a little more powerful, people won't see much of a difference. Especially if the next Xbox/PS4 are so much more powerful). Personally, I'm not fussed - I'll only have limited time for one home console next gen, and it will be Wii U.

You can't bring a big third party franchise to a system and think it's going to make a big difference when you don't do things like setting up an account based system for purchases.

snesfreak said:
I want GTA V on Wii U, and will not "get over it."

Good luck to you and the 37 other people that want it.

[Nintex]

I don't understand this desperate desire for GTA on Wii U, whether it is an exclusive or not. Regardless of how awesome the game is/isn't, it will only sell to a small base on a Nintendo console (the people that want it will buy it on PS360). The majority of people that own Nintendo consoles these days just aren't interested in GTA. Get over it. I'd like to think Nintendo understands this and doesn't go around money hatting for things like this, just to get a 250k sales of a game.

I'm not sure, if the Wii U is to be the next PS2 they need games like GTA and COD as much as they need Wii U Sports and Mario. If Nintendo doesn't get those heavy hitters than they won't get the smaller stuff either. Given the fact that HD games take longer to develop and are more costly the software situation for the Wii U without such third party support would be even worse than the dry spells of the Wii.

I see you have a Metroid avatar, Nintendo launched Metroid: Other M on a system without a core userbase(they had all moved on) that would be interested in such a game and the marketing campaign.

disap.ed

No, just no. I can only speak for myself but I had only Nintendo consoles in my life but I still love GTA. I played it on the PC so far but I would most probably buy it on WiiU if it would be available.

Anth0ny

The majority of people that own Nintendo consoles these days aren't interested in COD, Skyrim or Assassin's Creed either.

So I guess Nintendo shouldn't go for those either.

For Wii U it's very much going to be an issue of "what's missing". That was the issue Microsoft struggled with on Xbox and (eventually) overcame on 360, Nintendo's basically in the same place now. Even if games like GTAV and BLOPs 2 don't do huge business on Wii U out the gate, it's still vital that Nintendo ensures they're there, they're equivalent or better in all aspects, and their sequels are coming as well. The less reasons Nintendo can give anyone to bother with another console upfront, the better they'll do over the long term and I think equalizing 3rd party support is the key to Nintendo's victory (since their 1st party already destroys the competition commercially).

[Nintex]

The majority of people that own Nintendo consoles these days aren't interested in COD, Skyrim or Assassin's Creed either.

Talking about Assassins Creed, there's a rumor going around the interwebs and twitterverse that AC III will come to Wii U while Splinter 6 goes to the next-gen Xbox.

[Nintex];33933879 said:
Talking about Assassins Creed, there's a rumor going around the interwebs and twitterverse that AC III will come to Wii U while Splinter 6 goes to the next-gen Xbox.

Wasn't Wii U supposed to get an Assassin's Creed anyway?

Epcott

I just hope they work on a new gen of Mii (with customizable full body clothing) and maybe a channel where you can take them into an environment (think Animal Crossing meets Home).

But I have a feeling they'll just keep the them the same as they are, so they're easier to interact with the 3DS and Wii Miis.

[Nintex]

Wasn't Wii U supposed to get an Assassin's Creed anyway?

Yeah it was confirmed right away but the media kinda ran the story that it would be another Assassins Creed using ACII/AC:B/AC:R assets because Ubisoft said it was easier to make AC games now because they had a lot material to work with. From what I understood from BlimBlim however is that ACIII is running on a brand new engine.

[Nintex]

Yep, announced at E3. Ubi was cagey on what the game would actually be (AC3? Revelations+?, exclusive?), but the franchise was announced.

I haven't played it myself but friends told me that Revelations finishes up the Ezio story and it would be foolish to try and cram another chapter in there or do a sequel using the same character.

Also it's not the first time that Ubisoft employees leak... they also mentioned yet another Xbox codename, they're calling it Xbox Fusion. So we now have Xbox Ten(Thurott), Xbox Loop(MSNerd), Xbox 720, Xbox Fusion

I'm not saying Nintendo shouldn't try to get these games on their consoles, I just don't think the company should go out of its way to moneyhat for franchises that a select few will buy. Getting core third party titles on Wii U is such a small part of the battle - there are a number of other areas Nintendo needs to sort out that fans of these franchises expect as standard.

MDX

[Nintex];33933879 said:

So wait, the Nextbox will get an exclusive, and the WiiU will get a PS360 port?

Anyone else think Nintendo might surprise and whip out a cloud storage solution of some sort, which would explain the low hard drive space. I still think they should just team with Steam and make everyone orgasm simultaneously.

MDX

I want GTA V on Wii U, and will not "get over it."

I think a lot of people will be interested in GTAV for the WiiU if the tablet offers an experience unparalleled by standard controllers.

But more than anything, I still believe that if the tablet adds that extra dimension popular sports games, American Football, Football, Boxing, Baseball, etc, Nintendo will capture the market they are after with the WiiU. Just like how casual sports games and the wiimote captured the imagination and pocketbooks of the casual market.

After that, everything else is gravy

Thraktor

This. There are two simple formulae that will determine whether Wii U will get big third-party games, and whether they'll be able to pay for exclusivity for any of them. The first:

Profit = Extra Revenue - Extra Development Costs

Basically, devs/publishers will port their games to the Wii U if the extra revenue from the Wii U version is greater than the cost of porting to the Wii U. This equation is the reason we didn't see games like GTA IV for the Wii, these games would have basically had to be rebuilt from scratch, which would have cost a hell of a lot of money and brought in rather little revenue, as the audience for these sorts of games would have preferred to buy the better-looking PS360 version. It's also the reason that we will be getting all the major third party multi-platform releases on the Wii U, because doing a lazy port of the XBox360/Next XBox version will be cheap and easy, meaning even very low sales would be enough for profitability.

The second formula is for those thinking we'll get a GTA V Wii U exclusive:

Exclusivity Cost = Revenue From A Multi-platform Release - Revenue From A Wii U Exclusive Release - Saved Development Costs - Brand Costs From Lower Sales

A Wii U exclusive release of something like GTA V would bring in a lot less money than a multi-platform release, and the saved development costs would be pretty minuscule in comparison (especially as almost all these games are based on multi-platform engines in the first place). Just as important, though, are the brand costs that go along with exclusivity. If your big franchise goes from selling, say, 10 million units to 2 million units, this has a big long term negative effect on the selling power of that game's brand. This is something that companies take very seriously, and the amount of money it would take to offset it would be pretty damn huge. Taking the entire equation into account, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Nintendo would have to pony up several hundred million for something like GTA.

So, the Wii U is going to get the big third-party multi-platform titles, but isn't going to get them as exclusives. And, let's be honest, the developers aren't going to put a whole lot of effort into the ports, considering it's a new console with a small install base, and an as-yet unknown demographic. Given this, it would be a good strategy for Nintendo not to money-hat devs for exclusives, but rather money-hat devs to put extra effort into the Wii U versions, in particular ensuring that they have noticeably better graphics than the PS360 versions and good use of the Wii U pad. This wouldn't cost nearly as much for Nintendo, and it would achieve Nintendo's goal of pulling in a lot of "core" gamers who want the best versions of these games. Do this for the first few years along with a few big first-party titles targeted at the same audience, and Nintendo could establish themselves relatively well for these kinds of games for the coming generation.

MDX

Anyone else think Nintendo might surprise and whip out a cloud storage solution of some sort, which would explain the low hard drive space. I still think they should just team with Steam and make everyone orgasm simultaneously.

I am expecting this.

Acer is looking to purchase iGware, the company that supplies many online features to Nintendo Wii, DS, 3DS and, soon, Wii U (presumably, given the history). The Taiwanese company has said it will chat to Nintendo, iGware’s biggest and “most important” customer, about future partnership and support with the acquisition.

Once Acer’s purchase has gone through, iGware will become known as “Acer Cloud Technology Co.” and will continue to provide cloud services. Nintendo have not yet made an announcement regarding the acquisition.

As Im expecting WiiU will be Nintendo's last standard console.

I am expecting this.

As Im expecting WiiU will be Nintendo's last standard console.
it really is the only thing that makes sense. Demos and games and whatnot will be stored in the cloud, and the hard drive space that does come built in will be for installs. I just don't see nintendo going for the whole "buy an external drive for shit" route.

Who knows though.

Hiltz

You can count me out of buying a Grand Theft Auto game. I always thought they looked interesting but when I actually played some of them I was bored within minutes.

hokahey

You can count me out of buying a Grand Theft Auto game. I always thought they looked interesting but when I actually played some of them I was bored within minutes.

This. I could not believe how terrible it was. It was like finding out the awesome new thing everyone is talking about is really just a shiny nickle someone found. "But it's SO shiny!"

[Nintex];33933879 said:

So you're saying AC III will be Wii U exclusive and SC6 is XB3 exclsuive?

Is the announced Wii U game III, or are we getting both a new game and III? Confusing.

[Nintex]

So you're saying AC III will be Wii U exclusive and SC6 is XB3 exclsuive?

Is the announced Wii U game III, or are we getting both a new game and III? Confusing.

I'm not saying either is exclusive, but Splinter Cell 6 will hit the next Xbox while ACIII will hit Wii U but for AC III Xbox 360/PS3/WiiU seems certain now. I mean, they're not going to abandon the biggest markets for a small Wii U userbase.

[Nintex];33935462 said:
I'm not saying either is exclusive, but Splinter Cell 6 will hit the next Xbox while ACIII will hit Wii U but for AC III Xbox 360/PS3/WiiU seems certain now. I mean, they're not going to abandon the biggest markets for a small Wii U userbase.

Okay, gotcha.

Hiltz

Yves Guillemot's vague comment in an interview simply said that the project would be "something for the future." He did at least point out that the project isn't a port of Revelations, but he was unable to say if it the title would be AC3 or not. Yeah, the new project is likely going to still be coming to the 360 and PS3.

AzaK

it really is the only thing that makes sense. Demos and games and whatnot will be stored in the cloud, and the hard drive space that does come built in will be for installs. I just don't see nintendo going for the whole "buy an external drive for shit" route.

Who knows though.
Are you suggesting streaming/downloading demos on demand? I don't think this would happen. Bandwidth costs are far too prohibitive especially now everything is HD. Internet offerings around the world are far too varied in bandwidth and caps.

Are you suggesting streaming/downloading demos on demand? I don't think this would happen. Bandwidth costs are far too prohibitive especially now everything is HD. Internet offerings around the world are far too varied in bandwidth and caps.
not streaming, just storage, and you can redownload whatever you want to play. But when not in use for a while you don't have to keep it on the system itself. Which I guess is kind of pointless since that's no different than logging into a store and going into "view purchases" and redownloading lol.

Thraktor

No chance in hell AC3 is wii-u only, if wii-u is getting an exclusive AC game it's probably a spinoff or some upward port.

Yeah, if there is an exclusive AC Wii U game it'll be a spin-off. My guess is it'll use the locations from AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations but tell the story of a side-character in those games or something like that. Possibly even put the player in control of a Templar, perhaps. A game where you play as da Vinci and go around in his crazy contraptions the whole game would be pretty cool, but I doubt that's it.

The idea of an exclusive Wii U Assassin's Creed game does puzzle me a bit. It wouldn't get anywhere near the development budget of a mainline title in the series, so why not just port Assassin's Creed 3, which'll probably be out around the same time? The only reason I can think of would be if it were to make really specific use of the hardware and/or controller, so hopefully there's something to look forward to there.

Coolwhip

Banned

It was really innovative when it came out. But the actual gameplay and controls were shit in my opinion.

[Nintex]

Yeah, if there is an exclusive AC Wii U game it'll be a spin-off. My guess is it'll use the locations from AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations but tell the story of a side-character in those games or something like that. Possibly even put the player in control of a Templar, perhaps. A game where you play as da Vinci and go around in his crazy contraptions the whole game would be pretty cool, but I doubt that's it.

The idea of an exclusive Wii U Assassin's Creed game does puzzle me a bit. It wouldn't get anywhere near the development budget of a mainline title in the series, so why not just port Assassin's Creed 3, which'll probably be out around the same time? The only reason I can think of would be if it were to make really specific use of the hardware and/or controller, so hopefully there's something to look forward to there.

A Wii U exclusive AC spin off never made sense to me when the news broke that Wii U would be launching during the second half of 2012. ACIII will hit fall 2012 for sure so if Wii U hits in september with an exclusive AC title, ACIII would follow too quickly. So ACIII for Wii U makes much more sense in that regard because in Revelations they finished the 'current' story. It wouldn't make sense to release some sort of Ezio spin-off as an addition to II/Revelations/Brotherhood when AC games never hit on Wii or 3DS. Not to mention that it wouldn't get the same kind of budget and attention that ACIII would get. So ACIII on Wii U would be much better.

Hiltz

As far as GTA goes, I've only played GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, and Chinatown Wars. I watched my step-cousin play the 4th title. The funny thing is I like sandbox games, but I suppose the only ones that I've had fun with are the super hero titles like Spider Man 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

[Nintex];33934052 said:
I haven't played it myself but friends told me that Revelations finishes up the Ezio story and it would be foolish to try and cram another chapter in there or do a sequel using the same character.

Also it's not the first time that Ubisoft employees leak... they also mentioned yet another Xbox codename, they're calling it Xbox Fusion. So we now have Xbox Ten(Thurott), Xbox Loop(MSNerd), Xbox 720, Xbox Fusion

Look into fusion, there was a list of leaked MS game titles around last E3 using the Fusion name. I don't think we ever found out what they were.

I might be thinking of the Fusion Genesis, Fusion Sentient, and Fusion Vault trademarks, or were there more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom