• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wii U game could be a ground-up exclusive version of III, like how Sonic Unleashed was, but the Wii U version wouldn't be butchered, but it's own thing telling another angle of the story.

Ninja Gainden III can sorta be the same thing, Tecmo said the Wii U was getting a ground-up NG and it seems to be Razor's Edge, so it may not be a port but an alternate version built specifically for Wii U.

Hiltz

I don't think Ninja Gaiden 3 will be an alternative version. It seems like the developer is just gonna port the same game to Wii U but add in exclusive controller features and possibly take advantage of the Wii U's graphical and/or performance capabilities.

[Nintex]

Look into fusion, there was a list of leaked MS game titles around last E3 using the Fusion name. I don't think we ever found out what they were.

There was that game from ex-Rare dudes called Genesis: Fusion.

Have you guys gone back to watch the WiiU on Nintendo Press Conference - E3 2011?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=mCHuiOmOwKY

Lol, that Iwata:
"I think I just promised you that Smash Bros. will be developed for both 3DS and Wii U."

Vinci

Danish
All Nintendo needs is to ensure that 3rd parties deliver their products to the system and don't shortchange it with massive glitches or nonsensical, 'we do mainstream too' bullshit. They need to turn the console war into a battle of first parties. That should be their end goal with this coming generation, to reach 3rd party parity with the other two. Get some smaller, potential break-out exclusives in the meantime between the Wii U's launch and the others', and use those to drive early adoption of the console with those who don't ordinarily line up for Nintendo products.

For that to happen, yes, they need to nail online. They might also need to throw out some money here and there, share tools and information with 3rd parties on a level they never have before.

If they reach parity... Sony and MS are going to have a helluva time keeping up.

Now that Saint's Row 3 is out and actually good, I'm a little upset they canceled the 3DS spin-off.

Hopefully Nintendo sells the Wii U harder to studios like Volition so they don't just straight up cancel games.

Thanks for clearing that up for me BurnPork

Now that Saint's Row 3 is out and actually good, I'm a little upset they canceled the 3DS spin-off.

Hopefully Nintendo sells the Wii U harder to studios like Volition so they don't just straight up cancel games.

What I hate the most about early announcements for a new platform are those cancelled projects :(

DCKing

Anyone else think Nintendo might surprise and whip out a cloud storage solution of some sort, which would explain the low hard drive space. I still think they should just team with Steam and make everyone orgasm simultaneously.
Eh? Cloud storage can replace a hard drive for stuff like e-mail and documents. It can't replace it for gaming assets, patches, DLC and all stuff. You can't just stream game data over the internet like that - the internet is much slower than anything local for most people, is subject to congestion (especially at Nintendo's servers) and other unreliability and is therefore unsuitable for juggling over game data like that. It is also a huge attack vector for piracy. It's technically possible, but internet connectivity for most people simply isn't up to the task.

I'm wishfully thinking there's going to be decent Wii U HDDs for stuff like this, or maybe even an SKU with a built-in HDD. That said, the fact that there's going to be a modest amount of flash memory in the console does mean Nintendo seems to be screwing it up. A modest amount of flash memory will restrict developers in what they can put on the console after release, and that will mean that the Wii U's releases may be delayed/put off because they cannot be patched (I'd rather have a great buggy game that get patched later than potentially no game at all) and might see the Wii U platform as less profitable because of limited DLC options. If Nintendo truly gets it, they need to release an HDD SKU and/or do their best to sell external Wii U HDDs (and equip the thing with some modern connectors like eSATA or USB 3.0 damn it). If developers can't reasonably count on some decent amount of storage on the Wii U, Nintendo will suffer for it. The 360 and PS3 changed console gaming too much and Nintendo can't ignore that.

dacuk

I'll settle for just having a GTA on WiiU

GTA: Mushroom Kingdom.
Like that sketch on Robot Chicken.

Nintendo has an insane war chest, but any policy or advance towards a better environment for WiiU (be it 3rd party attraction, network infrastructure, etc.) would require time to implement. As for this moment, NOTHING is known / leaked about those topics, so I am afraid this time Nintendo is not doing anything proactive to change the sad conditions of the Wii / GC era.

[Nintex];33936733 said:

Yup but still a bit vague for most people also he did say "Open"
I am sure EA will find a way to get Origin as an App on the uPad
I don't see why EA was up on stage otherwise

I'm afraid we won't see a unified online but a cluster of many different service choices in App form or "Channels" people will continue to moan and bitch about Online even though its a free for all open system

I want Steam on there if thats the case

EDarkness

Well, you treated as confirmed the second the rumor popped-up, so...

That doesn't confirm Origin any way you want to slice it.

I really hope they don't go with Origin. My Origin experience has been spotty at best and they don't even allow people who live in Japan to view their site in English. Steam would be better. So it would be great if we have some kind of choice between the two.

Yup but still a bit vague for most people also he did say "Open"
I am sure EA will find a way to get Origin as an App on the uPad
I don't see why EA was up on stage otherwise

I'm afraid we won't see a unified online but a cluster of many different service choices in App form or "Channels" people will continue to moan and bitch about Online even though its a free for all open system

I want Steam on there if thats the case

EA talking about some kind of major change in their company and the whole, "deeper online capability and all of it driven by an unrepresented partnership between Nintendo and EA" thing, makes it really sound like they're providing the infrastructure for Nintendo.

I would like to see a deeper integration of Club Nintendo into the WiiU

I would not even mind a paid Club Nintendo Online service if I can earn stuff by playing the games I own

Hold on to your butt folks, we may get something this month, courtesy of PGN.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...rk-has-one-last-tease-for-you-a-2012-shocker/

While he mentions that this scoop relates to the Wii and 3DS...

I do have some more stories in the pipeline for next year, and I’ll try to get one in particular out in January. The one I have in mind is huge and should be a real crowd pleaser. Before I share what it is though, I have to confirm a few things. I’ll give you a couple of hints in the fashion that I did for Title Fight…shortly. For now, know that it’s for Wii and 3DS. Thank you and here’s to 2012!

...his following post mentions a Wii U scoop:

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/01/02/what-do-you-want-from-paul-gale-network-in-2012/

Today is January 1st, 2012 and as I hinted yesterday, I already have something that I’m working on delivering to all of you that visit for the video game news…as soon as possible. This article right now, however, is my intent to see what you want. Be it trying to share the Wii U scoop as soon as possible, more Title Fight info, fitness tips, or anything else you can think of, ask away.

I made a comment in the first article that's awaiting moderation asking to clarify this.

DCKing

GTA: Mushroom Kingdom.
A 'free-roaming' sandbox-like Mario game would be amazing. There's no need to compare it to GTA, but Mario being able to platform everywhere in a Mushroom Kingdom city has amazing potential and could work amazingly well. It could be very refreshing while still remaining very fitting to Mario. A free roaming Mario game would probably be hard to do well on the Wii, but on Wii U it could be amazing.

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...rk-has-one-last-tease-for-you-a-2012-shocker/

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/01/02/what-do-you-want-from-paul-gale-network-in-2012/

I made a comment in the first article that's awaiting moderation asking to clarify this.

I doubt it's anything major.

Instro

Hasn't that site posted false info before?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hasn't that site posted false info before?

He's the one that said "Retro is working on a game we all want them to do."

Who IS this guy, anyway? Is he legit or is he like that one girl that keep betting her blog over rumours and such?

can someone clear up for me who that guy is?

[Nintex]

Who IS this guy, anyway? Is he legit or is he like that one girl that keep betting her blog over rumours and such?

PaulGale has gotten things right in the past but has also been terribly wrong. In any case he seems to have some contacts in the industry and has written and contributed to websites and magazines but as shown by his story about Kojima's 'taboo' game he's mentally challenged at the same time.

from the "About Paul" section of the site:

On the video game side of things, I currently write for Bitmob.com and continue to contribute to 1up.com, have helped with Electronic Gaming Monthly and Gamers.com in the past, have been in several video game magazines, websites, and TV shows (such as Nintendo Power, **********.com, Capcom-Unity.com, X-Play and Judgment Day, respectively)....

Instro

Well I know legit stuff has come from there in the past, such as the Sony Smash Bros game. However this is the site that also posted that Kojima rumor.

Nintendo is looking to bring eBooks, magazines and iOS content to the Wii U

Mike Gwilliam of Forget the Box has shared that the company a friend of his in Los Angeles works for has been approached by Nintendo and they apparently:

"...offered them assistance in porting and publishing some software from iOS to the Wii U so it can be played on the Wii U’s touchscreen controller."

There is also talk that:

"Nintendo is planning to launch a digital e-reader type service where you can download books, magazines, newspapers, comics, and other publications to your Wii U console."

This feature would also apparently extend to the 3DS, and the comparison is made that this would be similar to how the iPad and the iPhone share similar functionality. Other content that could also (supposedly) come to the platform includes strategy guide and instruction booklets for virtual console games (meaning, you'd have digital copies of the original booklets included with NES and SNES games etc).

Apparently, Nintendo is also "interested in making every single issue of Nintendo Power (from 1988 to currently) available for download to be read on the Wii U’s touchscreen controller."

http://wiiublog.com/blog/2012/1/3/r...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

dacuk

Apparently, Nintendo is also "interested in making every single issue of Nintendo Power (from 1988 to currently) available for download to be read on the Wii U’s touchscreen controller."

That would give me another reason to buy a WiiU

Chittagong

Gold Member

DCKing

Having an app store comparable to the Android Market or the Apple App Store on the Wii U is an incredibly well conceived idea. Google TV and Apple TV have great potential but no audience and intuitive input (yet). PS3 and 360 are not flexible enough. The Wii U will have audience of millions and two great TV input methods. An app store on the Wii U will allow Nintendo to appeal to everyone much more, and immediately top the PS3 and 360 as an entertainment device. Seeing how the Wii U is employed as a Netflix device by so many,

I really hope it's true. It's such a great business idea that I think it is.

Oh god. While iOS game porting is fine, magazines and books are going to be terrible on that cheap lo res screen. Just as shit as MP3 playing and browser on DS.

Sounds like Nintendo doesn't have a clue how to position the tablet their R&D team brought them to sell.

480p feels a tad low for some of these applications but the idea of turning the controller into a general usage device is terrific.

What if, and only throwing this out there as an idea, the final controller is capable of higher resolutions for things like this, but defaults to a lower resolution for gaming?

Having an app store comparable to the Android Market or the Apple App Store on the Wii U is an incredibly well conceived idea. Google TV and Apple TV have great potential but no audience and intuitive input (yet). PS3 and 360 are not flexible enough. The Wii U will have audience of millions and two great TV input methods. An app store on the Wii U will allow Nintendo to appeal to everyone much more, and immediately top the PS3 and 360 as an entertainment device. Seeing how the Wii U is employed as a Netflix device by so many,

I really hope it's true. It's such a great business idea that I think it is.

Agreed, I would not mind seeing them taking on this iOS and Android dooming consoles and portables head on.

I am all for the Nintendo Power mag thing I am all for this. Still like everything Nintendo does the tech never matches for best results. I would love a higher res screen for this kind of thing.

If nothing new comes out of CES, which it most certainly won't, when's the next major show?

They surely can't leave us guessing till E3. If they do, the tension/pressure levels will be absolutely CRITICAL. GAF will explode if we dint get anything until E3!

Wait, maybe that's the plan... No hype whatsoever, then while everyones distracted by NEXTBOX, BAM, Nintendo hits us like a freight train with awesome announcements, stealing the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom