• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Final Fantasy XII just became my favorite in the series.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amazon has it.
Oh, well, it's not worth that much to me :p Vanilla it is!

I really look forward to being out of the "you look like you're playing an RPG! ^_~" phase of the game.

I don't think I'm really a fan of the license board. I may not fully understand it yet. Gambits and the pace of battle in general are to my liking, though.

Final fantasy XII. The only FF game since me playing ff7 that i havent gone beyond 3 hours. So dreary, so mindnumbingly arse paralysingly boring, i wondered who on earth would sit and play this game to it's end.

Killed the series for me. Made even worse because FFX was one of the best FF games ever. Never touched another FF since.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Favorite of the series. Glad to see so many like minded people.

I found the political nature of the plot intriguing and I loved the massive world filled with stuff to explore and those amazing hunts.

Hopefully, SE releases the HD remake like X but with all the extra stuff that the international edition had.

Final fantasy XII. The only FF game since me playing ff7 that i havent gone beyond 3 hours. So dreary, so mindnumbingly arse paralysingly boring, i wondered who on earth would sit and play this game to it's end.

Killed the series for me. Made even worse because FFX was one of the best FF games ever. Never touched another FF since.

I did, and I fucking hated the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Aaah this is a helpful post, for I know I cannot trust your opinions. :( Also, the concept of any Final Fantasy game "killing the series" is a bit laughable, as though the games have anything to do with one another, especially considering this was the last one of an entire console generation.

Anyway, the first 3 hours were admittedly slow. I wish more JRPGs would do an in media res style opening, instead of a little prologue that pretends to be action-packed and then a "here's what daily life is like before you came in" section. But either way, I'm at about 6 hours now and it has definitely started to open up and it should hold my interest if the plot points pay off. Balthier, Fran, and Lamont are all very enjoyable characters.

The game also looks straight-up stunning on PCSX2 with high AA. I really do believe it could pass for a current generation game at some points.
ib1Me3wpG09GE7.png

Rad-

I hated the first 2-3 hours as well. After that is when the game starts really.

shiroryu

Aaah this is a helpful post, for I know I cannot trust your opinions. :( Also, the concept of any Final Fantasy game "killing the series" is a bit laughable, as though the games have anything to do with one another, especially considering this was the last one of an entire console generation.

Anyway, the first 3 hours were admittedly slow. I wish more JRPGs would do an in media res style opening, instead of a little prologue that pretends to be action-packed and then a "here's what daily life is like before you came in" section. But either way, I'm at about 6 hours now and it has definitely started to open up and it should hold my interest if the plot points pay off. Balthier, Fran, and Lamont are all very enjoyable characters.
Keep at it, it gets better once the story focus shifts away from Vaan and all those hunts start coming.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, did you take that amazing-looking screen shot yourself?
Why yes I did! I'll take more when I get home and play a bit tonight and I'll resize them a little bigger than that shot (I'm actually playing at 1080p :D)

I took this one before getting AA working properly but even it looks pretty darn good.
ibkqD1EG5HP0oX.png

Honestly I can't stress enough how good it looks in HD. The textures hold up ridiculously well for a game that's almost 6 years old. It's a thing of beauty, truly a testament to what great art design means to the experience.

I wish FF12 didn't stretch the UI in 16:9 mode.
It does this even if you set it to 16:9 in the in-game options?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's lame. I must be benefitting by never having seen it how it was supposed to look, so it hasn't bugged me too much.

Also, a light note on something that amused me: I'm all for suspension of disbelief when it comes to RPG conventions, but man did it crack me up that there are shops where you can buy new Gambits.

I'd just like to understand what is happening in-universe when I walk up to the counter and plonk down 50 gil for a shiny new "Ally: MP <50%" :lol

M.Bluth

I wish FF12 didn't stretch the UI in 16:9 mode.

Speaking of which, considering how it was possible to make an English version of the International edition, has anyone tried making an "HD" high res version of the UI to work on PCSX2?

Is it even possible?

Vesper73

Quick post just to voice my support for this great game. Just beat it a couple of weeks ago. I loved the varied environments!

Also, it does look 'current gen' at times at 4x res. Amazing!

spirity

That's lame. I must be benefitting by never having seen it how it was supposed to look, so it hasn't bugged me too much.

Also, a light note on something that amused me: I'm all for suspension of disbelief when it comes to RPG conventions, but man did it crack me up that there are shops where you can buy new Gambits.

I'd just like to understand what is happening in-universe when I walk up to the counter and plonk down 50 gil for a shiny new "Ally: MP <50%" :lol

I wish there was a mystical explanation for gambits, but the reality is they're just sticky post-it notes you put on your arms.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wish there was a mystical explanation for gambits, but the reality is they're just sticky post-it notes you put on your arms.
hahaha... which of course inspires the question, why do we need to buy them in the first place?

I guess ink is a precious commodity in Dalmasca

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Every post in this thread drives the knife in deeper... and twists it.

I really hope they release a PS3 version some time this century.

I honestly don't think FFXII emulated at high res is anything special compared to current gen games. It's still very clearly ps2 spec and the high res just emphasizes how basic the graphics are compared to even SE games from this gen. Dark Souls makes it look like a SNES game, and it's not even considered a graphical powerhouse.

Aeana

I honestly don't think FFXII emulated at high res is anything special compared to current gen games. It's still very clearly ps2 spec and the high res just emphasizes how basic the graphics are compared to even SE games from this gen.

I think the texture detail definitely rivals and surpasses many current generation games. Nier and Magna Carta 2, for example, should probably look better than FF12. But they don't.

spirity

hahaha... which of course inspires the question, why do we need to buy them in the first place?

I guess ink is a precious commodity in Dalmasca

Cut a mog. Ink.

You know those hunts you get sent on? You're assassinating mog hunters. Montblanc knows whats up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I honestly don't think FFXII emulated at high res is anything special compared to current gen games. It's still very clearly ps2 spec and the high res just emphasizes how basic the graphics are compared to even SE games from this gen. Dark Souls makes it look like a SNES game, and it's not even considered a graphical powerhouse.
I think you're missing the point a little bit... being something special compared to current gen games is sort of a different concern- and while I would say it does beat out some current gen games in terms of art design, my point is that it compares to current gen games despite being 6 years old. That's what impresses me.

Second, the game you chose to compare it to came out three months ago, and whether it's considered to be one or not, it is a graphical powerhouse- it pushes the 360 and PS3 to their limits, coupled with some of the best art design in this generation. It's laughable that you're even making the comparison, but since you have... no, it doesn't make it look like an SNES game, it makes it look like a PS2 game, which is of course what it is. Compare it to a game with muddier textures and no anti-aliasing- let's say Darksiders (on PS3) for example- and the generational gap does not seem so massive.

edit: Nier, also a good example

I won't DP in such an unimportant thread, but here's some goodies:
iWZB1K4lXz7FK.png

iYkYwjJQ42wvm.png

ibhV93bfe8pYpj.png

ibhBASNeJoBgJp.png

ibbhIFn2W9rSVa.png

igswvzfF5WWej.png

Shit just got real storywise too, I'm digging it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, those are some breathtaking shots. Mind posting your PC's specs?

Sure thing.

Core i7 940, 3GHZ
SLI GTX 260s
6GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
Windows 7

I play with v-sync on and I get just about a constant 60fps, but never below 50. It's really a joy to play.

Ultratech

Speaking of which, considering how it was possible to make an English version of the International edition, has anyone tried making an "HD" high res version of the UI to work on PCSX2?

Is it even possible?

1. Mostly a text replacement job with some hacking. IZJS uses most of the same text as the original, it just needed some hacking to get it working, as well as a bit of translation for the new stuff.

2. It's likely possible, but you'd need a program (or something) to get the image files from the game and completely redo them. It'd probably be a lot of work, so I doubt anyone's gonna go to the trouble of messing with it. At worse, it either won't work or would require some recoding/hacking to get it up.

I think you're missing the point a little bit... being something special compared to current gen games is sort of a different concern- and while I would say it does beat out some current gen games in terms of art design, my point is that it compares to current gen games despite being 6 years old. That's what impresses me.

Second, the game you chose to compare it to came out three months ago, and whether it's considered to be one or not, it is a graphical powerhouse- it pushes the 360 and PS3 to their limits, coupled with some of the best art design in this generation. It's laughable that you're even making the comparison, but since you have... no, it doesn't make it look like an SNES game, it makes it look like a PS2 game, which is of course what it is. Compare it to a game with muddier textures and no anti-aliasing- let's say Darksiders (on PS3) for example- and the generational gap does not seem so massive.

edit: Nier, also a good example

I won't DP in such an unimportant thread, but here's some goodies:
iWZB1K4lXz7FK.png

iYkYwjJQ42wvm.png

ibhV93bfe8pYpj.png

ibhBASNeJoBgJp.png

ibbhIFn2W9rSVa.png

igswvzfF5WWej.png

Shit just got real storywise too, I'm digging it.

Don't get used to it. Whole thing pretty much falls apart after the part you're at.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't get used to it. Whole thing pretty much falls apart after the part you're at.
Uh, really? That sort of... blows. The plot just got like 300% more interesting. The first 3 hours especially were slow as anything. How long is it exactly?

jaxword

Uh, really? That sort of... blows. The plot just got like 300% more interesting. The first 3 hours especially were slow as anything. How long is it exactly?

FF12 story is this:

Quick start
Slow
Gets better
Dead stop
Sloooowly starts to pick up
Then incredibly bursts into Warp Speed in quality and excitement for the last 2 hours.

You're at the "Gets better" part.

Basically, you have to go through the slow worldbuilding middle parts to get to the flashy fun stuff.

reson8or

FF12 is without a doubt my favorite in the series. Once I played the International, it became one of my favorite games ever.

You and I both.

Since X got the nod for HD re-release, I hope, one day, they give the same treatment to XII, and make it the international version.

Game has some amazing details for a PS2 game, would really shine in HD.

1 hour in the game so far, looks great on pcsx2 but man....feel like an idiot spending 20 minutes trying to find the exit of Rabanastre....goddamn.

Love the combat and art direction.

Absolutely hate the storytelling and this version of Ivalice. Some of the worst dungeon designs in the history of the series.
Also, the lack of true "classes" makes every character feel the same(I don't own the international version and that's not the one I played when the game first came out).

And Fran's voice is amazing.

Frost_Ace

Love this game so much, it's not my favorite FF but it's sure the most ambitious.

Gonna share this amazing fanart my fried drew:

the_escape_by_jeje87-d4bh9hd.jpg

Sax_Man

Banned

I wouldn't worry too much. When I got to the part you're at, I was psyched about the story and, in my opinion, it only gets better. Especially if you like politically themed plots. The game does start to drag after the halfway point a bit, but that's mostly because the game starts throwing out MASSIVE dungeons for you to crawl through without much plot to balance it out.

Personally, I thought FFXII had the best FF plot since FF6, which it shared many, many similarities with.

jett

D-Member
LOVED this game. It's definitely stands along FF4 and FF6 as one of my favorite games in the franchise. Gameplay is crazy forward thinking for the series, it's tragic that it was completely abandoned for FF13. The plot goes to hell after the midpoint mark, a sign of a incomplete game, but the entire experience is still aces. Defeating Yiazmat will go down as one of my favorite moments in an RPG. Mob hunting was the best.

TheContact

The story didn't suck me in and the gameplay ended up being dictated by your movements and nothing else. It's still ...fun...sort of.

Desi

God I still get attached to the part where Vossler says "I am the people of Rabanstare!" So true at that point in the game.

Crazetex

FFXII is my second-favorite (behind FFV).

I like Vaan for silly English major reasons already pointed out; in truth, his best offering is that he's the Dissidia 012[duodecim] character I'm the best at (and I <3 Gabranth, especially the Basch skin for him).

Sax_Man

Banned

The biggest similarity is the big, evil empire trying to take over the world with the help of ancient Magicite. You play as a young thief who meets up with a mysterious girl who wields unique powers. Along the way, the empire's plans have a cog tossed in by means of a slightly insane secondary villain, who ends up playing a very pivotal role in the story. The old emperor also winds up dead at the hands of his underlings.

Both games feature a disgraced, honor-bound knight from a kingdom that was betrayed and invaded.

There are probably a lot more similarities, but this is just off the top of my head.

The biggest similarity is
These sound more like just common troupes.

the big, evil empire trying to take over the world with the help of ancient Magicite.
Arcades isn't as evil as the Empire in 6, they just have interests in expansion and other hidden agendas. Even then Vayne's goals while somewhat selfish are not that completely evil. He want's to free the world from their rulers and maybe become their new ruler under the pretense of "hey at least I'm human". He's nothing like Kefka. Kefka just wants to kill people.

You play as a young thief who meets up with a mysterious girl who wields unique powers.
Ashe isn't like Terra and Locke isn't like Vann or Balthier. The similarities end at the titles. Terra is mysterious and her character arc is about her becoming more human and finding emotions. Ashe is not mysterious, her lineage is somewhat well defined and she is full of emotions. She want's revenge, her character arc is about that. Vann and Locke may share simulates in their back story(loved ones killed by Empire) its still a stretch. Still Locke is played up as someone who isn't as childishly angry at the Empire, while being naive and a kid is a big part of Vanns character. Balthier compared to Locke is also different as he is more of the "I'm acting like I'm reluctant and annoyed, but I love you guys and want to help" type hero. Locke is all about helping.

Along the way, the empire's plans have a cog tossed in by means of a slightly insane secondary villain, who ends up playing a very pivotal role in the story. The old emperor also winds up dead at the hands of his underlings.
Cid's plans are the reason the empire is doing what they are doing. He's not throwing a cog anywhere.
Both games feature a disgraced, honor-bound knight from a kingdom that was betrayed and invaded.
Yes, but both characters play out differently.

There are probably a lot more similarities, but this is just off the top of my head.]
These similarities don't seem to have a lot of substance. It's like saying Rahxephon91 and Rahxephon90 are so similar and the only thing in common is their names.

Sax_Man

Banned
You are essentially saying "these similarities are not strong enough for the two games to be similar." I'm not quite sure how to respond to that. I feel they are self-evident, but opinions etc.

It seems like by your metric, for FFXII to be "similar" to FF6 they would have to have almost exactly the same characterization and plot.

Top Bottom