• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

kiryogi

Banned
Hrm lol WTF. Looked @ Leixia's profile in the CE artbook. . . When did Xianghua become such a mother! Apparently she freaks out when Leixia wants to go on an adventure and insists that she stay and be one of the emperor's wives. Lawlz.

"Anyone play this on stick? What are your guys button configs?"

Still on pad atm because I don't have a stick for my 360 yet (Which is really annoying, I'm too used to playing FGs on a stick), but when I get it sorted it'll be something like:

ABK
G--

Kimosabae

Banned

Still on pad atm because I don't have a stick for my 360 yet (Which is really annoying, I'm too used to playing FGs on a stick), but when I get it sorted it'll be something like:

ABK
G--

Exactly what I just adjusted to moments ago. Much better. I always played SC on pad back in the day, but now I'm making the dedicated effort to play all fighters on stick.

Doing BE on default is awkward.

Dueck

Banned
If anyone wants to see a SC4/SC5 graphical comparison, I posted some screenshots here: http://8wayrun.com/threads/sc4-sc5-graphics-comparison.10426/

I still think SC4 is a great looking game, but yeah, SC5 is a big big improvement. I think the CAS screenshot comparison is the most telling, that really shows how much better the lighting and shading is. It could be SC4's weird resolution scaling fooling me, but it also looks like SC5 has higher resolution textures than SC4.

The only big downside is that SC5 has a ton of jaggies. I wish they had released a PC version of the game. 1080p with AA would have looked lovely.

Thanks for posting those comparisons. It's pretty striking. Hilde's visual upgrade was excellent. Her armor is a lot more intricate now.

Anyone play this on stick? What are your guys button configs?

I've got a Marvel vs Capcom 1 Madcatz TE stick.

I use what I used in SC4:

ABK
GK

I find having kick in two places is easier - it lets me guard comfortably while having kick readily available without reaching too far...but if I need to hit ABK during a combo or such, it's much easier to hit

ABK

than it is to hit it horizontally/vertically with

AB
-K

and not whiff it and accidently bump a throw button or something.

Anyone play this on stick? What are your guys button configs?

I do:

A-B
G-K

I might switch to:

A-B-K
G

I miss supers and ex moves sometimes using my og method. Hitting those ABK is surprisingly awkward for me, hehe.

I play VF4 with

- P
GK

I am so used to having kick down there in the corner. I don't know if I can switch.

ABK
G--

Pretty much my layout.

I originally tried

A/B/A+B+K/-
G/K/-/-

but for some reason, it was much more cumbersome that way.

"If I'm not mistaken, that's similar to how the 1P side of American VF cabs were."

Man, it's been like 15 years since I've seen an American VF cab, so you could be right.

PK
G-

Is so much more ergonomic, though. A finger for each button.

I did this for SCIV too. Wish I had more stuff unlocked, and that the school uniform equipment was still in the game.
The cast of Silent Hill!
RJ4jw.png

voO0g.png

kYB6x.png

p7PaO.png

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A. :D

frequency

So (for the most part) I don't look up info on games I know I'll get. I really enjoy turning on a game for the first time, not knowing anything, and being surprised by it.

I knew I would get this one. I came in completely blind and wow am I surprised. So they have like a bunch of new characters and some of the ones I'm used to are gone? I'm sure some of these new ones play very similar to the ones they replaced... but still, pretty cool.
Not that I'm any good (I suck), so being "used to" a character doesn't really mean anything to me.

Too bad PSN seems to be down.

Also, it's so weird seeing Ezio. Better than the Star Wars tie in last time I guess.

I don't know about these Edge Attack things...

i don't get why people have a hard time playing on stick for 3d games. when you learn a new game just try to get familiar with movement.

Roto13

So I take it Algol's Critical Edge takes two full meters? There's a second input to do the *real* thing after starting it but I could never get it to work in Arcade mode. I've managed to do it successfully in Training though.

Hrm lol WTF. Looked @ Leixia's profile in the CE artbook. . . When did Xianghua become such a mother! Apparently she freaks out when Leixia wants to go on an adventure and insists that she stay and be one of the emperor's wives. Lawlz.

That would be around the time she became a wuss and caved to her family's demands to marry General Whoeverthefuck. If Kilik had still been around he'd have set her right and smacked up Master Kong for making his kid a goofball. XD

Correct, Roto. However, you can follow up just the first part of the super with a combo of your choice. Doing the second part instead still gets you crazy style points and more damage, but you lose all your meter, so no BEs

Roto13

Correct, Roto. However, you can follow up just the first part of the super with a combo of your choice. Doing the second part instead still gets you crazy style points and more damage, but you lose all your meter, so no BEs

It does half a bar of damage. Seems pretty worth it. :p

Playing the story and so far... I don't get the hate. It's pretty good. Sure fully rendered scenes would be nice instead of the motion comic stuff but I think it's alright.
Also I think I fell in love with Pyrrah. That's a complete 180 considering how I felt when the character was first revealed.

Ferrio

Banned
Playing the story and so far... I don't get the hate. It's pretty good. Sure fully rendered scenes would be nice instead of the motion comic stuff but I think it's alright.
Also I think I fell in love with Pyrrah. That's a complete 180 considering how I felt when the character was first revealed.

Her character is so moe it's sickening. Her throw where she falls on you made me gag.

I'm not sure what kind of expectations people had for "story" in a fighting game. I mean, desiring better than what we get is one thing, but "expecting" it is another.

Soul Calibur has always had gobs of singleplayer content, including the original one on Dreamcast. Quest Mode, or whatever? Some of us expected it because a precedent had been set.

Playing Ivy online is a lot of fun, at least against people similar to my level. Learning quite a bit and getting a better feel for the game, although movement is starting to feel a bit more janky as I learn some of the moves.

alstein

The hate is largely coming from the folks who don't play fighters in MP, such as Tom Chick.

I can see why those folks hate on this game, SC was their game for years, and this version isn't for them.

Should I get this game? I heard from a lot of people that the single player content is really lacking, but the gameplay is still great.

I will mostly be playing online and using CaS, anyway.

frequency

Hearing about the lack of single player content is disheartening.

I play a lot of games at once and I'm not very good to begin with, so online play is usually just me getting beat over and over again.

Roto13

What's the other ways to unlock Kilik and Algol again (outside Legendary Souls)? Don't have time for this bullshit.

Both in Quick Battle but that's random. Kilik in Asia Arcade and Algol in Extra Arcade. They also come naturally as you level up. Algol is at level 34 or something, Kilik is some time before then. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's the other ways to unlock Kilik and Algol again (outside Legendary Souls)? Don't have time for this bullshit.

Algol is in Quick Battle as an A2(or something) and a Csomething, beating him unlocks him. You also get him through extra arcade, but I think you unlock that later compared to the quick battle.

Kilik is unlocked at level 10, which doesn't take long.

LowParry

Algol is in Quick Battle as an A2(or something) and a Csomething, beating him unlocks him. You also get him through extra arcade, but I think you unlock that later compared to the quick battle.

Kilik is unlocked at level 10, which doesn't take long.

Extra Arcade I believe is at Player Level 17.

Btw, there a list of what levels unlock what?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom