• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Sectus

If anyone wants to see a SC4/SC5 graphical comparison, I posted some screenshots here: http://8wayrun.com/threads/sc4-sc5-graphics-comparison.10426/

I still think SC4 is a great looking game, but yeah, SC5 is a big big improvement. I think the CAS screenshot comparison is the most telling, that really shows how much better the lighting and shading is. It could be SC4's weird resolution scaling fooling me, but it also looks like SC5 has higher resolution textures than SC4.

The only big downside is that SC5 has a ton of jaggies. I wish they had released a PC version of the game. 1080p with AA would have looked lovely.

I'm not sure what kind of expectations people had for "story" in a fighting game. I mean, desiring better than what we get is one thing, but "expecting" it is another. Also, Algol is great for crushing my fellow scrubs. So many people don't know you can step his 6BBB ball and give me a free Low/Mid mixup or just mash a button and run right into the ball anyway.
Arcade mode from SC4 had better stories than story mode in this game. Who can forget the time Rock left to pursue personal goals?

I didn't get that much into SC4, but i liked how creative people were with the customization tool.

Is someone going to create a thread to show custom creations? or is it going to be here?

Dreweyes

I made 2 more characters...

3goSC.png

Ugh. Fuck Nightmare, ring out king.

Siegfried is the same thing man. What a pain in the ass. You can't bait the difficult CPU characters into easy ring outs in this game, they'll ring you out instead.
It almost seems purposely as well, like they know you're close to the edge and they'll set up their attacks so they can get a ringout. lol

Ferrio

Banned
Siegfried is the same thing man. What a pain in the ass. You can't bait the difficult CPU characters into easy ring outs in this game, they'll ring you out instead.
It almost seems purposely as well, like they know you're close to the edge and they'll set up their attacks so they can get a ringout. lol

Troll all day with CH 1B with Seig.

Roto13

Ivy is sounding more and more mannish every game.

I'm a big fan of SoulCalibur's story in general, but character stories in III and IV were mostly "So-and-so did something and it was hard, but then they practiced and tried again and succeeded, so they set out on their journey once more, their resolve strengthened!" The reason for the time jump was to finally progress the story that had been stuck in a rut since II, but they really dropped the ball with it. Now V doesn't even have in-game profiles or endings. The only two characters who legitimately have a story in-game are Patroklos and Pyrrha. (Even characters with relatively major roles, like Viola and Zwei, don't get their stories told in story mode.) If you check some official websites you can find character profiles that show that everyone does, in fact, have a reason to be in the game, but you'd never know it just by playing it. Hell it doesn't even say why Patroklos has all of Setsuka's moves, but apparently the guide says something about him meeting her in Turkey and training with her.

Remember when Daishi said something about how Viola was going to play a major role in the story? That leads me to believe that they really had bigger plans for it than ended up being implemented. Maybe multiple paths that ran side-by-side and the only one we got was the Patroklos and Pyrrha path. I really think, with more time to cook, we would have gotten a much bigger game.

Finally, I can't help but think SC6 will see all the old favorites axed in favor of the newcomers and an even fresher cast, with older characters coming in as DLC. All the old characters just seem to be taking a backseat in this game. Just feels like a setup.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Hilde's got kids, Xianghua has another one at home, Bangoo , and I'd still imagine that some combination of Hwang/Mina/Yun/Talim popped out a kid. The only character I'd be really surprised to see go at this point would be Ivy, and that's just because they've stated she will be the focal point going forward.

Sullichin

I'm not sure what kind of expectations people had for "story" in a fighting game. I mean, desiring better than what we get is one thing, but "expecting" it is another. Also, Algol is great for crushing my fellow scrubs. So many people don't know you can step his 6BBB ball and give me a free Low/Mid mixup or just mash a button and run right into the ball anyway.

I wasn't expecting anything good but I don't know why they bothered with what they gave us. I haven't finished it, but it's just humorous to me that (probably very talented) people spent their time writing/storyboarding/illustrating this.

Kimosabae

Banned
Ivy is sounding more and more mannish every game.

I'm a big fan of SoulCalibur's story in general, but character stories in III and IV were mostly "So-and-so did something and it was hard, but then they practiced and tried again and succeeded, so they set out on their journey once more, their resolve strengthened!" The reason for the time jump was to finally progress the story that had been stuck in a rut since II, but they really dropped the ball with it. Now V doesn't even have in-game profiles or endings. The only two characters who legitimately have a story in-game are Patroklos and Pyrrha. (Even characters with relatively major roles, like Viola and Zwei, don't get their stories told in story mode.) If you check some official websites you can find character profiles that show that everyone does, in fact, have a reason to be in the game, but you'd never know it just by playing it. Hell it doesn't even say why Patroklos has all of Setsuka's moves, but apparently the guide says something about him meeting her in Turkey and training with her.

Remember when Daishi said something about how Viola was going to play a major role in the story? That leads me to believe that they really had bigger plans for it than ended up being implemented. Maybe multiple paths that ran side-by-side and the only one we got was the Patroklos and Pyrrha path. I really think, with more time to cook, we would have gotten a much bigger game.

The in-game story does allude to Pat learning the style from Setsuka, just not directly.

I do, but this is what happened the last time I played a fighting game with one:

768fa0f2.jpg

ba36f8aa.jpg

Never again.

You posted that in another topic didn't you? I remember that lol
From SCIV I remember the 360 analog was mostly good for 8WR movement. That was my experience anyways. I could never use an analog to execute commands.

You should be able to manage just fine without it.

Also after watching some SCIV ending videos SCV does clearly look better, especially the faces and mouth movement/emoting.
Rose colored glasses I guess.

kiryogi

Banned
You play tonight! All I've played against is orb bitch, getting tired of her!

I will be there. All night if youre up for it lol. Orb bitch was fun XD Once I got established it wasn't as bad. Now I just feel bad for my local friends who don't really take it as serious D: I'll bring china girl and evil girl to play tonight.

Ferrio

Banned
I will be there. All night if youre up for it lol. Orb bitch was fun XD Once I got established it wasn't as bad. Now I just feel bad for my local friends who don't really take it as serious D: I'll bring china girl and evil girl to play tonight.

Wait you don't play her too do you? God is all PSN gaf maining her?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Algol is amazingly fun in this game, holy shit. His brave edge where he wallbounces you off his chair is hilarious.

Is the PDP Fightpad worth picking up for this? Picked up the CE and am about to go get the CE guide. Just curious if I would benefit from picking up that fightpad since it's only 20 bucks.

360 player.

Gamertag is Phatsaq if anyone wants some easy wins ;)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
422087_876555972792_15110552_37597503_64856472_n.jpg

I LOVE this screenshot feature, I tried it with a bunch of games and unfortunately none of them work.

It would be nice if the PS4 follows the vita and has a screenshot feature built into the OS and most developers use it.

kiryogi

Banned
Hrm I need to make a cuter outfit for my Lei. . . Lol though I got a good reaction from Q when I showed him my custom using the CE Armor

B00TE

ZWEI's theme is so good. My favorite track that isn't Venice Rooftops. Actually surprised by the soundtrack as a whole, I didn't really like the music in any of the other games that weren't Soul Calibur 1, but I'm really liking a lot of what's here.

Top Bottom