• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Not silly at all, I won't bother with Pat for that same reason. In fighting games in particular if the aesthetics aren't there I won't pick a character, and Pat's stance just looks goofy as hell.

Yalls is trippin. Pat's stance is all business. He's better than you and he knows it.

If you got something for Versus, people would just leave the game on autofire to level up forever.

zlatko: At about level 10 or so, you get an Extra arcade mode. Run that a few times and you should run into Algol. Beat him and he's yours. No need for Legendary Mode or Quick Battle.

OSHAN

Yeah they really cut back on the options this time around. I didn't realize you didn't get XP for VS stuff though. Do you not get anything for VS CPU?

I know you do in quick battle, but my friends came over and we played 52 versus rounds offline, and it doesn't even affect your level. Nothing. Ridiculous.

If you got something for Versus, people would just leave the game on autofire to level up forever.

So what though? Doesn't affect anyone else if some people are crazy.

LaneDS

Hoping someone is able to create a very awesome looking Guts and post some pictures not long from now. Tried last night and it was... not very awesome looking.

What's the best way to go about unlocking features? Any particular mode seem better than the rest, or do most unlocks come from simply leveling up your profile?

zlatko: At about level 10 or so, you get an Extra arcade mode. Run that a few times and you should run into Algol. Beat him and he's yours. No need for Legendary Mode or Quick Battle.
Oh that's good to know. Thanks.

DasRaven

Finally got around to playing online this morning and wow! Despite me being complete ass (0-7) at the game just yet, EVERY connection was playable, even a 2-bar from Arizona to France.

I was pulling Voldo tricks just like offline, even hit a just guard or two. I'm in love.

ACESmkII

Just Guarding seems incredibly tough to pull off. I have to be doing something wrong. I used to parry in SF3, and JD in MOTW fairly easily.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I played a "zero" connection last night because I wasn't paying attention and it was still playable.

I am kind of stunned.

I know right? Was playing yesterday and got a "zero" one as well and I was like "Ahhh shit", but it was indeed playable. I was pleasantly surprised.

mr_boo

Hoping someone is able to create a very awesome looking Guts and post some pictures not long from now. Tried last night and it was... not very awesome looking.

What's the best way to go about unlocking features? Any particular mode seem better than the rest, or do most unlocks come from simply leveling up your profile?
Arcade Mode was recommended to me a several threads back - I believe you get an extra 200 points for finishing it.

Sullichin

I can't be the only one really sour about the massive change to guard impact. I can't pull it off with the same consistency, it's an awkward button combo, and you need charges to use it. Am I missing something here? Playing SC4 with my friends, we used to chain GIs like crazy, it got really intense because we knew each other's techniques. Doesn't seem like that's really possible here?

I love the game otherwise (well, the gameplay, story mode is a fucking chore to play)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just Guarding seems incredibly tough to pull off. I have to be doing something wrong. I used to parry in SF3, and JD in MOTW fairly easily.

AFAIK it's because the timing is basically the same as a red parry, from what I've read.

I literally had the CPU just repeat the same attack in training, a slow horizontal attack, and only managed to JG it once out of 20 times. I can't see me ever getting to the point where I can consistently do that.

I can't be the only one really sour about the massive change to guard impact. I can't pull it off with the same consistency, it's an awkward button combo, and you need charges to use it. Am I missing something here? Playing SC4 with my friends, we used to chain GIs like crazy, it got really intense because we knew each other's techniques. Doesn't seem like that's really possible here?

I love the game otherwise (well, the gameplay, story mode is a fucking chore to play)

Nah, you aren't missing anything. It takes a chunk of meter now, and I understand the reasoning for the button combo as to not have people accidentally blowing meter constantly. I do agree that it is hard as hell to relearn such a mechanic after so many iterations in the series.

"I can't be the only one really sour about the massive change to guard impact. I can't pull it off with the same consistency, it's an awkward button combo, and you need charges to use it. Am I missing something here? Playing SC4 with my friends, we used to chain GIs like crazy, it got really intense because we knew each other's techniques. Doesn't seem like that's really possible here?"

Probably the core reason it's gone.

scosher

I hate it too. Probably the one gameplay change I don't like. The fact that it costs meter makes it even more useless where it's better spent on BE's or CE's. Auto-GI moves are now a premium. At the very least, they could've made it Forward + ABK. But yeah, would prefer the old GI's over current JG's.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Not personally no. I always thought GI's were too generous. Considering now you can GI into a brave edge/super combo, the old system would have made the game into a titanic clusterfuck.

Sullichin

"I can't be the only one really sour about the massive change to guard impact. I can't pull it off with the same consistency, it's an awkward button combo, and you need charges to use it. Am I missing something here? Playing SC4 with my friends, we used to chain GIs like crazy, it got really intense because we knew each other's techniques. Doesn't seem like that's really possible here?"

Probably the core reason it's gone.

Why is chaining GI's a bad thing? Made for some really intense fights.

Not personally no. I always thought GI's were too generous. Considering now you can GI into a brave edge/super combo, the old system would have made the game into a titanic clusterfuck.

This makes sense, if it guarantees a brave edge (is this the same as critical edge? I don't know all the new stuff in this game yet, only played a few hrs) will connect, GI's shouldn't be as easy as they were.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I used to have some completely stupid Algol matches in 4 where we would play in a cage stage and GI his orbs all over the stage in a tennis match, I'll miss that.

I'm so bad with defense in this game, got to the sixth arcade fight against Nightmare and i've had to just quit because I was being destroyed so badly with each attempt, guess I need to find a character that clicks with me, try as I might Viola is too damn tricky for me to use effectively, I shouldn't have ignored that ease of use stat...

ACESmkII

AFAIK it's because the timing is basically the same as a red parry, from what I've read.

I literally had the CPU just repeat the same attack in training, a slow horizontal attack, and only managed to JG it once out of 20 times. I can't see me ever getting to the point where I can consistently do that.
Yeah, I pulled it off once or twice while in training. The aris tutorial vid made it look so easy too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why is chaining GI's a bad thing? Made for some really intense fights.

This makes sense, if it guarantees a brave edge (is this the same as critical edge? I don't know all the new stuff in this game yet, only played a few hrs) will connect, GI's shouldn't be as easy as they were.

Basically 'EX' moves that can combo into other ex moves or supers (or both).

Kimosabae

Banned
My bad for getting the publisher wrong. Future Press deserves all the props in the world for this guide, as well as everyone involved regarding its content. What other FG guides have they done? When I'm done with it, this guide will be placed on the shelf with all my real books.

I really like the idea of aPatrokolos. If you're a Sets fan, it sucks, but to me, I love seeing Guilty Gear-style gameplay variations on a character that are tied to story. I'm a sucker for that stuff. Doesn't hurt that the new color scheme is boss. In fact, much of this game in terms of presentation, reminds me of a Guilty Gear game.

Speaking of the story mode, so far, I don't think it's bad at all. This is the best english dub I've heard in a Japanese game, period. The cutscenes star in-game models that animate beautifully and what's happening is interesting enough give context to each character on the character select screen. Good enough for me.

Finally, I can't help but think SC6 will see all the old favorites axed in favor of the newcomers and an even fresher cast, with older characters coming in as DLC. All the old characters just seem to be taking a backseat in this game. Just feels like a setup.

Got this yesterday, first thoughts:

The game is really solid from a pure combat perspective. But some very minor details seem off. Most of the time the character models look fantastic, but there are times when they look worse than SCIV. Honestly I thought something was wrong with my display when I first started the game, despite it looking really sharp some of the characters models seem low quality, not bad, but like there is something missing compared to IV. I checked my TV display info and it says the game is running 720p. I don't get it. It looks good but it doesn't look better than SCIV to me, it looks worse in ways. Some special effects look god awful. Any fire animations for charge up effects look like ass. The move where Aeon spits fire(not his CE), the fire looks really low quality. There also doesn't seem to be as much shine on the characters, or the textures are really dull or something. This is much more apparent in CaS with certain pieces of clothing.

Pretty nit-picky, but something about the whole presentation seems off to me and it's annoying. I could be completely wrong. I've abstained from SCIV for a few months in anticipation of this.

But other than that I think the game is good, I might main Aeon, I have yet to try everyone else though. I tried using Ivy for a bit, and I like the changes to her, but she also feels weaker, is there any setup to combo into her command grabs/CE? IMO, her command grab CE is REALLY slow and easy for the opponent to stuff. It's almost worthless unless you're playing against a complete turtle.

I played through arcade twice, something I didn't know about arcade is you could pick regions to fight certain enemies or even pick ranked. And let me tell you, using Aeon, Ranked Arcade was goddamn insane. My last opponent was Siegfried and he was a complete tool. If you're not blocking before his CE animation starts you are boned. At what seems like any range.

I like how Quick Battle is structured. Some... well... most of the character designs are ridiculous but it's cool that you can unlock over 240(?) titles from that mode. So assuming there are some insanely hard opponents in there getting some of those titles could be real accomplishments. That adds some nice replayability to the single player portion.

Another good aspect is the persistent leveling through all modes, clearing a few arcade rounds and leveling up with some new CaS parts as a reward is fun and makes me want to keep playing.

CaS mode is better in a lot of aspects but worse in a few. You can change height and weight now, which is goddamn awesome. I made a dude with a gut and it's kinda hilarious. The CaS models look more detailed now but at a cost. I guess since it's harder to make equipment pieces that scale to the size of a variable weight CaS they just made some pieces big and as a result they look huge and like they're not even resting on the characters. As much stuff as there is, a few more generic pieces of equipment would be appreciated as well. All the undergarments are pretty blah, but I guess Scamco wants to sell all dat bikini DLC so we gotta suffer. Then again some of it might be unlockable, so that comment isn't really justified at the time of this post. I find most of the Special slot items are pretty much garbage unless you're making something silly or weird. Though the fact that you can take 3D objects and place them on your character wherever you want and adjust the size/color/texture/rotation/scale/etc.. is pretty damn cool.

CaS is still great though in spite of the bad aspects. There is a ton of equipment, adding designs and textures is a huge bonus. There are 4 slots for each piece of equipment that you can add a design on. Plus you can combine all that stuff so you can texture a piece of armor, color the texture, color the armor itself, then slap 4 designs on top of it. That's pretty unheard of for a fighting game, or any sort of customization really outside of wrestling games. There are all kinds of facepaint/makeup options, you can put textures on weapons and recolor them as well. All that stuff is great.

Training mode is fantastic, despite the way that it's set up which is confusing at first. The best part about it, IMO, is if you turn on help while in the main moves section there is a little pop-up window on the bottom of the screen that tells you what a move does, why it's effective and when/how you should use it. This is an amazing under-looked addition. Something so simple but so goddamn useful if you want to learn a character for the first time. This feature should be available for every single move in your move list, it should be mandatory for this to be in every fighting game with a move list. And after using it you'll think it's absurd when you see a move list without it again.

Those are just my initial impressions. I might have been wrong about how the game looks, I'm going to start up SCIV tonight to compare.

zlatko

Banned
Her damage is actually fine, you just gotta put effort into her stuff compared to most others.

That combo video was awesome stuff. Thanks for that again. Looking forward to getting home to try some of them out. Her fight style is the favorite one of everything I've tried so far, so I want to stick with it unless Algol turns out to be more fun.

Hope to get Algol tonight by hitting level 10 then doing the arcade.

Kimosabae

Banned
Got this yesterday, first thoughts:

The game is really solid from a pure combat perspective. But some very minor details seem off. Most of the time the character models look fantastic, but there are times when they look worse than SCIV. Honestly I thought something was wrong with my display when I first started the game, despite it looking really sharp some of the characters models seem low quality, not bad, but like there is something missing compared to IV. I checked my TV display info and it says the game is running 720p. I don't get it. It looks good but it doesn't look better than SCIV to me, it looks worse in ways. Some special effects look god awful. Any fire animations for charge up effects look like ass. The move where Aeon spits fire(not his CE), the fire looks really low quality. There also doesn't seem to be as much shine on the characters, or the textures are really dull or something. This is much more apparent in CaS with certain pieces of clothing.

I'm sorry, but you're out of your mind. To me, the game looks categorically better than IV - a game I thought looked dated the day it released.

Do you have the game on 360? IV runs in a higher native res than V on that platform.

IV was 1365x960 downscaled to 1280x720 in software, resulting in nicer image quality.

Training mode is fantastic, despite the way that it's set up which is confusing at first. The best part about it, IMO, is if you turn on help while in the main moves section there is a little pop-up window on the bottom of the screen that tells you what a move does, why it's effective and when/how you should use it. This is an amazing under-looked addition. Something so simple but so goddamn useful if you want to learn a character for the first time. This feature should be available for every single move in your move list, it should be mandatory for this to be in every fighting game with a move list. And after using it you'll think it's absurd when you see a move list without it again.

Took me a while to find what you were on about but this is useful information indeed so good thing you mentioned it! I'll certainly be making use of this, I also appreciate being able to watch the moves in the movelist so I know what i'm supposed to be doing.

Kimosabae

Banned
This is the best looking fighting game out right now. In my opinion, it's one of the best looking games this generation.

Word. As the game's pedigree suggests it should be. 3 and 4 were so damned middling looking, imo.

The animation work in the character faces alone is some of the most impressive work this gen.

Skilletor

Word. As the series' pedigree suggests it should be. 3 and 4 were so damned middling looking, imo.

The animation work in the character faces alone is some of the most impressive work this gen.

I see this game and I wonder why T6 is sub-hd. It really, really confuses me. SC, imo, has always looked better than whatever Tekken was out at the time. This game, full HD, 60fps...yeah, really, really impressive. Some of the best stages in the series going on right here.

V_Arnold

Kimosabae, you are wrong also, SCIV looked amazing. The only issue it had is that stage-wise, they did not went for the epic route as they did with V.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I see this game and I wonder why T6 is sub-hd. It really, really confuses me. SC, imo, has always looked better than whatever Tekken was out at the time. This game, full HD, 60fps...yeah, really, really impressive. Some of the best stages in the series going on right here.

I always thought the SC team had a better handle on certain things than the Tekken crew.

Tekken 6 has realtime motion blur, which is highly resource intensive. If you turn it off in options, the 360 version is 1280x720p.

Even arcade T6BR was sub-HD (though admittedly, still higher res than console w/motion blur).

Skilletor

Tekken 6 has realtime motion blur, which is highly resource intensive. If you turn it off in options, the 360 version is 1280x720p.

Even arcade T6BR was sub-HD (though admittedly, still higher res than console w/motion blur).

TTT2, I can understand being sub-hd. T6 is confusing. I guess I don't see what motion blur adds to a fighting game. I haven't checked it out on 360, though.

Kimosabae

Banned
The animation is pretty great, but the faces? Most impressive this gen? Good lord no.

Looking at the character win poses, I don't see how someone can say the facial animation isn't damned good. Say what you want about the models themselves. We'll have to agree to disagree.

TTT2, I can understand being sub-hd. T6 is confusing. I guess I don't see what motion blur adds to a fighting game. I haven't checked it out on 360, though.

It really added a lot to the animations for me. The game looked way blander without it. Unfortunately, the tech is very intensive for current gen platforms.

I mean, I loved the motion blur, and understand the tradeoff, but after 1080p T5DR on PSN, the image quality of Tekken 6 was incredibly disappointing.

Skilletor

So any verdict on PS3 vs 360?

I've spent a few hours on both versions and they seem the same. I haven't played on every stage yet on either version, though, and I know that's where there were problems with SC4 on ps3 (only specific stages). I'd say it's safe to get whichever version you'll have more friends on.

It really added a lot to the animations for me. The game looked way blander without it. Unfortunately, the tech is very intensive for current gen platforms.

I mean, I loved the motion blur, and understand the tradeoff, but after 1080p T5DR on PSN, the image quality of Tekken 6 was incredibly disappointing.

Yeah, the IQ really bothered me. Running sessions on SC4, SF4, VF and then hopping on T6 was jarring. Took a bit to get adjusted to the blurriness.

I've spent a few hours on both versions and they seem the same. I haven't played on every stage yet on either version, though, and I know that's where there were problems with SC4 on ps3 (only specific stages). I'd say it's safe to get whichever version you'll have more friends on.

It's a hard choice for me. I prefer to play more against randoms than friends. I had SCIV on the 360 and it seems that is where most of the competition will be but I seem to have a better connection on my PS3 even though both are hard wired.

Is there any graphical difference since the PS3 does 1080p?

Roto13

Whaaaat, did not know that. I got the Extra mode and played it once (figured it was just there for the new camera angle) and didn't meet Algol. Guess I'll run through that a few times, then. :p So there's four ways to unlock Algol. So glad I never have to beat Legendary Souls. :p

Character customization is fantastic.

sLNzI.png

Trnvp.png

Ferrio

Banned
Just pretty much had an 5 hour straight session with kiryogi... should of gone first to 50 imo :p

Oh and I'll say this game has the best net code in any fighter right now.

Shoutouts to 2 hit combos that ring out anywhere near a edge.

Devil Jins 612A7 is just ridiculous for throwing people out of the ring. Can do it after juggles too.

Anyone give me any tips for doing the WGF? I figure it's just practice practice practice, wish there was some trick I"m missing though.

Top Bottom