• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

d0c_zaius

I had my first ever rage quitter! Natsu was too much for him.

Doc_Zaius where you at! I picked it up on ps3. :)

word! I'll be on tonight, hit me up.

still trying to decide if I should stick with voldo or try another character, so I'll be scrubbin it.

Holy shit this guide. Is this the best fighting game guide ever?

I feel like the UMVC3 guide had just a tad bit more info and covered stuff in more detail, but yea the SC5 guide is really impressive.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Thanks I needed a good laugh. Did he seriously complain about enzios cross bow...... that move kinda .... sucks ass

LOLOL so scrubby!

LOLOL Cervantes WEAK!? LOOOOOOOOOL this guy is the best
My eyes kinda glazed over once he started talking about Pat's zero recoil (what?) launcher being game breaking somehow...

kiryogi

Banned
word! I'll be on tonight, hit me up.

still trying to decide if I should stick with voldo or try another character, so I'll be scrubbin it.

I feel like the UMVC3 guide had just a tad bit more info and covered stuff in more detail, but yea the SC5 guide is really impressive.
Yeah but this shit is hardcover!

YcL9y.png

more muscle tone pls

TDLink

So I know I'm late to the party on this and all but am I correct in assuming that:

Amy
Zasalemel
Seung Mina
Talim
and
Yun-Sung

Won't be making an appearance in this game in ANY capacity?

Amy is almost certainly Viola, but she has a completely new moveset. For the others there is always the possibility of DLC, but otherwise no.

Roto13

In your esteemed opinions, would you guys say it's worthwhile to buy SCV if I intend to play it offline? SC, SCII and SCIV are probably a few of my most frequently used (offline) fighting games. Is the lack of content really as bad as I've heard?

I avoid going online with most fighting games, this included, because I'm a complete scrub when it's not made by Capcom :(

Well, it's missing the Tower of Souls and Story mode from IV (there's a story mode in V but you won't play it more than once and it's not very good) but if all you're interested in is regular fighting with CPU characters, Quick Match mode is better than anything in IV for that. There's also several slightly different Arcade modes. There's no unlockable artwork or character profiles or endings or anything like that, though. Also no special abilities or stats on weapons or character creation parts. It's basically just straight-up fighting. :p

Dueck

Banned
Well, it's missing the Tower of Souls and Story mode from IV (there's a story mode in V but you won't play it more than once and it's not very good) but if all you're interested in is regular fighting with CPU characters, Quick Match mode is better than anything in IV for that. There's no unlockable artwork or character profiles or endings or anything like that, though.

That's really too bad... Even if it had just one of those things (unlockables/tower of souls/endings/etc) I'd be fine with it. I seem to buy every fighting game that comes out, and I really want to own this one. It's like my heart wants to go buy it, but my brain is telling me it's a bad idea.

Roto13

That's really too bad... Even if it had just one of those things (unlockables/tower of souls/endings/etc) I'd be fine with it. I seem to buy every fighting game that comes out, and I really want to own this one. It's like my heart wants to go buy it, but my brain is telling me it's a bad idea.

Well, there's 240 titles to unlock in Quick Match mode. And some unlockable characters and stages and character creation parts, of course.

Kimosabae

Banned
Really silly that Guard Cancels and delays on attacks strings keep getting taken away. It's bad enough the movelists keep getting shorter. I'd really like to know what the devs are thinking, here.

*edit*

What the hell is that little pink monster in the cage on Ivy's stage?

"Really silly that Guard Cancels and delays on attacks strings keep getting taken away. It's bad enough the movelists keep getting shorter. I'd really like to know what the devs are thinking, here."

Less is more in regards to the movelist in this case. 3D fighting games in general have ballooned up to where they have an absurd amount of moves per character and a large amount of them aren't even useful. Pretty much all 3D fighting games could do with a good "trimming" like SC has done. Keep those core moves/stances and bin the fluff.

Dueck

Banned
Well, there's 240 titles to unlock in Quick Match mode. And some unlockable characters and stages and character creation parts, of course.

I had forgotten about the titles, and that other stuff sounds good. I think you've justified the purchase for me with this information. Thanks.

Kimosabae

Banned
"Really silly that Guard Cancels and delays on attacks strings keep getting taken away. It's bad enough the movelists keep getting shorter. I'd really like to know what the devs are thinking, here."

Less is more in regards to the movelist in this case. 3D fighting games in general have ballooned up to where they have an absurd amount of moves per character and a large amount of them aren't even useful. Pretty much all 3D fighting games could do with a good "trimming" like SC has done. Keep those core moves/stances and bin the fluff.

I agree with the trimming, but taking away the variation in utility attacks/strings that GCs and Delays bring is excessive, imo. It's less in the sense that it restricts a character's potential approaches. Ideally, I'd like to see a concise movelist with a variety of aspects to most moves.

frequency

So after playing like 2 hours, this game feels a lot more "hardcore" to me than previous ones in the series. I don't think I like the Edge attack things and the meter and stuff. It feels like hits do a lot more damage and stuff.

And I can't find a character I feel comfortable with.

I don't know. I'll definitely play some more since I bought it, but I'm a little cold on it right now. I liked SC because I was able to have fun with it on a casual level. But it feels like I'm doing more timing based stuff here and it's really hard.

Kimosabae

Banned
Don't know why these beautiful character designs are in the game when every other moron is just going to put a dick on Ivy's forehead. I hate CaS SO much.

So in training mode I just saw that a 1A > CE clean hit with Algol does 202 damage. It's now my life goal to get this to happen in a match. If you ever play me online, you'd better watch your toes.

I agree with the trimming, but taking away the variation in utility attacks/strings that GCs and Delays bring is excessive, imo. It's less in the sense that it restricts a character's potential approaches. Ideally, I'd like to see a concise movelist with a variety of aspects to most moves.
They did it to make certain characters who have those things in spades more unique. Making each character play significantly differently been a big part of the design philosophy this time around.

Although I'm not really sure how different Pyrrha and Omega Pyrrha are in practical application.

EDIT: BTW, after seeing what happened with Talim, Zas, Yun, etc.'s fans I wonder if people who pick normal Patroklos are worried that he's going to be a one time movelist.

Esura

Banned
learn to tech roll (ukemi), hit G the moment you hit the ground. Some grounded damages are guaranteed though.
I seem to get punished when I do that. Maybe its because I had poor timing.

I settled for pointing out how absurd his claims were.

Or do nothing. Depending on the situation lying there can cause a lot of stuff to whiff. Teching can lead to even more damage.

I've caught so many people trying to roll away with Maxi's 66B+K...

I seem to have better results staying neutral and guarding than trying to roll away.

Roto13

Just fought a Quick Match AI that I'm pretty sure was programmed to just do Cervantes' torpedo move and nothing else. :p It seriously did it nonstop in every direction.

Pyrrha is WAY too whiny, at least regular Pyrrha. She actually runs away crying in one of her victory poses.

Pyrrha does have some confidence issues, but I guess it's better than going Benedict on your sister, protecting the sword you swore to destroy, being off-panel killed by a jobber like Tira, and after all that asking Tira to raise your daughter after you spent two games trying to get her away from your kids. (yeah, that was confirmed).

Sophie is weak sauce. Glad she was replaced by superior children. XD

frequency

Just fought a Quick Match AI that I'm pretty sure was programmed to just do Cervantes' torpedo move and nothing else. :p It seriously did it nonstop in every direction.

I had one against an E5 or something that just kept charging with a head butt thing at me. It's literally all he did. I think he was an Astaroth style. I sucked too much to stop him so I quit and cried in a corner.

On another note, I've narrowed down my character choices to be between Leixia and Natsu. But I can't decide. Is there a character that's inbetween them in terms of speed? Natsu is kind of too fast for me. Leixia is kind of too slow and her damage is so low. I can't really get the flow of combat with either of them.
In previous games, I liked Cassandra a lot. I'm not really getting it with Pyrrha though.
I also enjoyed Kilik. But he's like... the "random style" character in this game. And Xiba feels really off.

One bonus is that Natsu's voice isn't super high. I find that I'm not using her to her potential though. I rarely ever do the possession thing or whatever.

Roto13

Pyrrha does have some confidence issues, but I guess it's better than going Benedict on your sister, protecting the sword you swore to destroy, being off-panel killed by a jobber like Tira, and after all that asking Tira to raise your daughter after you spent two games trying to get her away from your kids. (yeah, that was confirmed).

I don't know about that last part (I haven't seen that anywhere) but she was protecting Soul Edge because Pyrrha's life was tied to it, and she cared about her daughter more than the rest of the world. I thought that was a really cool direction to take her character. She started off as this whole "Chosen warrior" thing and as time went by she started shifting from super warrior to super mother, and her motivations started being less about destroying Soul Edge and more about keeping her children safe, until SCIV where she gave up on Soul Edge entirely and was hellbent on protecting Pyrrha.

If Pyrrha was in the same situation, she'd run away in tears. "Confidence issues" doesn't even begin to describe her problems. Sophitia was a strong female character. Pyrrha is absolutely not.

To be fair, Tira isn‘t weak, and she had already kidnapped Pyrrha, so might as well ask her to take care of Pyrrha if she wasn‘t going to live.

zlatko

Banned
Tried more Viola stuff, and just wasn't feeling it honestly.

I'm 50-50 right now for Nightmare or Devil Jin style. Nightmare = brain dead easy, tons of damage, great reach, and solid comeback factor. Devil Jin= no range, fast as hell, a bit harder combos but not by a lot, solid damage, and a bit more useful hyper compared to Nightmare.

Tried my best to unlock Algol, but I could never get him to show up in either Arcade, refreshing quick battle, and I still can't beat the first fight in Legendary Souls, although I only tried a few times tonight.

I probably refreshed, and also tried backing to main menu, around oh 60+ times for seeing if Algol would appear in quick battle, but no dice. Got Harada a bunch of times, but beating him I gave up after about 4 tries when I noticed if he uppercut checks you and does perfect 3 frame uppercuts to infinity.

I don't know about that last part (I haven't seen that anywhere) but she was protecting Soul Edge because Pyrrha's life was tied to it, and she cared about her daughter more than the rest of the world. I thought that was a really cool direction to take her character.

If Pyrrha was in the same situation, she'd run away in tears. "Confidence issues" doesn't even begin to describe her problems. Sophitia was a strong female character. Pyrrha is absolutely not.
On Pyrrha‘s defense, her life has been really fucking shitty.

Roto13

Tried more Viola stuff, and just wasn't feeling it honestly.

I'm 50-50 right now for Nightmare or Devil Jin style. Nightmare = brain dead easy, tons of damage, great reach, and solid comeback factor. Devil Jin= no range, fast as hell, a bit harder combos but not by a lot, solid damage, and a bit more useful hyper compared to Nightmare.

Tried my best to unlock Algol, but I could never get him to show up in either Arcade, refreshing quick battle, and I still can't beat the first fight in Legendary Souls, although I only tried a few times tonight.

I probably refreshed, and also tried backing to main menu, around oh 60+ times for seeing if Algol would appear in quick battle, but no dice. Got Harada a bunch of times, but beating him I gave up after about 4 tries when I noticed if he uppercut checks you and does perfect 3 frame uppercuts to infinity.
Which Arcade mode were you trying? He only shows up in the Extra Arcade you unlock somewhere around Level 17 or something. Possibly only on Normal.

On Pyrrha‘s defense, her life has been really fucking shitty.

You'd think it would have toughened her up a little.

Esura

Banned

Is there some source you could share with us confirming this?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sweet just beat Legendary souls, did it just under 16 mins and got rank 32 on psn. Not to bad for just going through it to unlock a character XD

Oh nice, they finally put up profiles for the secret chars. They REALLY should fire whoever designed it though, I can't find Kilik, and with that navigation and I can't even tell if he's there or not in the first place :|

Also, what we were talking about is not on those profiles.

Top Bottom