• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

kiryogi

Banned
Woo another fun late night session. I want to face your Sieg/Nightmare more Somium :D

Although this entire evening was basically spent ironing out Omega.

I haven't had a lot of time with the game - just a couple of hours in training mode getting some basic combos down with Mitsurugi.

So, add me on PSN if you don't mind some easy wins while I learn the game. I'm DimmuBurgerKing.

Do the created characters warrant another thread? I don't wanna annoy others by posting my creations while others talk about the game itself =P

Please do it! I'm not even interested in the game, only in the custom creations people make. I've been scrolling a few pages back and there is already good material for a new thread.

FartOfWar

Banned
Athena and Mega Man are godliek!

What's the easiest way to do a guard impact? Using Cervantes right now because he has a lot of them but none are terribly reliable. GI's are the last attack cheevo I need.

It's not just that you casually refer to "cheevos." It's also the fact that you're so intent on obtaining them. This is you. Happy holidays.
39f688874b1ff16091674df4e4e99030.jpg

Nemesis_

Please do it! I'm not even interested in the game, only in the custom creations people make. I've been scrolling a few pages back and there is already good material for a new thread.

Any ideas how I should format it?

I was thinking just have images, then formula for those wanting to create at home and credit each one to the author.

I'll also include a quick spiel about Create-A-Soul and then maybe also include categories (Gaming, Pop Culture, Movies etc.)

Any objections? Or suggestions before I go ahead?

I may just use the thread from SCIV and change it if I get any requests to do so.

I was thinking just have images, then formula for those wanting to create at home and credit each one to the author.

I'll also include a quick spiel about Create-A-Soul and then maybe also include categories (Gaming, Pop Culture, Movies etc.)

I may just use the thread from SCIV and change it if I get any requests to do so.

Encourage folds to just screencap the formula because people might not want to type all that out

I just fought Dampierre in quick battle mode and he looks like stupid retarded fun. I'm sort of disappointed as I thought he was DLC and not locked content on the disc. ;_;

Mista Koo

Started playing yesterday, mostly CaS lol. I need to spend some time in the training mode, I pretty much suck even though I consider this the one fighting series I'm relatively good at (for a casual fighter).

Seems like Viola is going to be my main, she's a bit hard to use but fun and reminds me of Talim. I'm still not fond of the orb and I think she would've played better if she had a kusarigama or a yoyo :p
Pyrrha's apologizing is too much, I mean you are fighting for god sake. At least Sophitia's did it subtly. Ezio seems pretty cool but I can't get over the fact that I can't customize him :< (why? it's not like he has unique moves that scream Ezio).

I had a very surprising moment in Quick Battle. I found an enemy from middle east "oh cool", "wait.. she's from my country too". Her name.. holy cow that's my sisters name :O! Kudus Team Soul, Someone did the research :D
(What makes it more interesting is that she used to play Soul Blade with me!).

The CaS is awesome, although being so big and detailed it made me want more (for instance adjusting clothes just like accessories and changing materials). Also bummed that I can't use character's outfits pieces or customize them. I'll mess around with it more after I unlock more stuff. The arrows in particular were a lovely addition:

SRELdl.jpg

Too bad it'll be reduced to "hurr hurr arrow in the knee" for every other character.

thundr51

I really should have done my research on this one. My characters in SC4 were Xiang, Mina and Zas. With two of them gone, I'm pretty bored already. Anybody have any suggestions on another character to try? Thinking of giving Hilde a shot but she was pretty difficult in 4. Not crazy about any of the others. Glad I didn't pick up the CE this time.

Is it worth it to buy the guide? Scarred from buying the guide of Dark souls then a patch comes along and makes 90% of the info wrong.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just fought Dampierre in quick battle mode and he looks like stupid retarded fun. I'm sort of disappointed as I thought he was DLC and not locked content on the disc. ;_;

I used him last night when playing with some friends and was instantly hooked. His stats aren't so hot (someone already said he's this game's "Dan"), but I was having a blast using him and will probably try to main him now.

Was Dampierre significantly changed up coming off of Broken Destiny? I don't remember him being so much fun to use in that game.

I'm not doing one anyway so you're welcome to use the layout. I would mention the ways to screencap in the PS3 version (which will be VERY handy to get good images). I didn't check, does SCV have a handy page listing all components like SCIV? I'd assume that it doesn't, considering all the different textures you can use. Me, I'm using textures on every large area of cloth to make it look less like spandex. Also, I'm considering toning down the saturation on every color since my creations stand out compared to the somewhat more realistic figures.

At least for me, the category Original would be fairly important. I see very little fun in recreating the cast of old games (I did this in SC3 and SC4 with Suikoden characters and never, ever played them). Soul Calibur has been pretty good about allowing room for minor characters in its world so unless you make your creation kill off Nightmare and marry Hilde, you should be fine.

Roto13

Well he kid of has to be on the disc or in a game update for you to be able to fight against people online who do have him.
I had a very surprising moment in Quick Battle. I found an enemy from middle east "oh cool", "wait.. she's from my country too". Her name.. holy cow that's my sisters name :O! Kudus Team Soul, Someone did the research :D
(What makes it more interesting is that she used to play Soul Blade with me!).

I'm still wondering if I made it into Quick Play. :p If anyone sees a character named "Rhody" take a screenshot for me.

Nemesis_

I'm not doing one anyway so you're welcome to use the layout. I would mention the ways to screencap in the PS3 version (which will be VERY handy to get good images). I didn't check, does SCV have a handy page listing all components like SCIV? I'd assume that it doesn't, considering all the different textures you can use. Me, I'm using textures on every large area of cloth to make it look less like spandex. Also, I'm considering toning down the saturation on every color since my creations stand out compared to the somewhat more realistic figures.

At least for me, the category Original would be fairly important. I see very little fun in recreating the cast of old games (I did this in SC3 and SC4 with Suikoden characters and never, ever played them). Soul Calibur has been pretty good about allowing room for minor characters in its world so unless you make your creation kill off Nightmare and marry Hilde, you should be fine.

I'll start work on that tomorrow morning.

Here's something I whipped up in the mean time. Once you destroy the first layer of clothes, you reveal her true identity!

Dm8Qhl.jpg

scosher

I can post some of my creations when I get home from work, although it'll be low quality cell phone pics. edit, I suppose I can screenshot it while in-game then USB it over from my PS3 to PC?

Made an awesome Wario though using Dampierre's moveset lol

Also tried to create Link (Omega Pyr) but the lack of any headpiece that matches his elf hood really kills the costume attempt. I remedied it by making a triforce using stickers on his cloak.

Also made Deneb from Tactics Ogre, but that's only cause I wanted to make a hot chick wearing the shoulderless dress + witch hat, and it just turned out to look like her.

Next up -- Oren Ishii (APat) and Gogo Yubari (Ivy) from Kill Bill, and Solaire and Ornstein from Dark Souls. I should probably spend more time to level up to get more costume pieces though.

Kimosabae

Banned
Oh, fuck off. It's part of the fun. Not everyone only plays fighting games to autistically pore over frame data.

Haha that's pretty pathetic, dude. No need getting butthurt because someone would rather see more discussion about the actual gameplay, rather than retarded images of people's baneful fashion senses. Just put me on ignore if I bother you. God forbid someone wants to see more distilled discussion of a fighting game's mechanics when the topic of discussion is a fighting game.

Ferrio

Banned
So what's the point of rolling if people can just Ukemi. How do you punish Ukemis?

I tried making a really annoying stupid character to troll people will. Turns out the character annoyed me more than it did Q :(

I still don't know how to do this.

1) Play some matches online.
2) Go back to the main online menu, choose Replay.
3) Go to the battles tab, save a replay or two locally.
4) Go back to the main tab, choose a replay, press the start button to begin recording.
5) Recordings are now in the XMB videos section do what you want with them (480p, 30fps).

Roto13

Haha that's pretty pathetic, dude. No need getting butthurt because someone would rather see more discussion about the actual gameplay, rather than retarded images of people's baneful fashion senses. Just put me on ignore if I bother you. God forbid someone wants to see more distilled discussion of a fighting game's mechanics when the topic of discussion is a fighting game.

Believe it or not, there's room for both. This isn't your personal fighting game thread. Some people like custom characters. If you don't like it, leave. And don't play online, either, because they're everywhere.
1) Play some matches online.
2) Go back to the main online menu, choose Replay.
3) Go to the battles tab, save a replay or two locally.
4) Go back to the main tab, choose a replay, press the start button to begin recording.
5) Recordings are now in the XMB videos section do what you want with them (480p, 30fps).

So complicated. :p I was looking for a way to do this but I never found it.

"So what's the point of rolling if people can just Ukemi. How do you punish Ukemis?"

There are tech traps for them. For example, Algol 2B+KB. If you tech to the right, you'll eat the fireball free. If you tech any other direction, you eat the fireball and get popped up for a combo cherry on top. With a BE, you end up eating 80+ more damage than if you had stayed on the ground, rolled, or did a simple standing block, not an ukemi.

Ferrio

Banned
"So what's the point of rolling if people can just Ukemi. How do you punish Ukemis?"

There are tech traps for them. For example, Algol 2B+KB. If you tech to the right, you'll eat the fireball free. If you tech any other direction, you eat the fireball and get popped up for a combo cherry on top. With a BE, you end up eating 80+ more damage than if you had stayed on the ground, rolled, or did a simple standing block, not an ukemi.

Isn't an ukemi just a standing block? I thought that's what it was, and rolls were tech rolls or something? How do you punish a standing block?

"Isn't an ukemi just a standing block? I thought that's what it was, and rolls were tech rolls or something? How do you punish a standing block?"

Ukemi is when you tap block as you hit the ground and your character quick rises. You can quick rise in any direction. By standing block I mean when you don't quick rise, you simply hold block and your character will get up normally and block, and it seems like you're capable of blocking well before your character "shows" that they're able to block. By rolling I mean when you stay on the ground, don't press block, and just press a direction. That said, forward and back rolls are also punishable by the same tech traps as ukemi, I believe.

Well you're basically on everyone's ignore list now, congratulations.

I added the link to the CaS thread in the OP, but if the OP'd like to make a big banner and shit for it so it's actually visible, that'd be cool.

"Reeeeealy hating the lack of guard impact. It makes spammers a LOT more annoying."

Guard impact is there. And auto GI is there. Also, most moves leave people at disadvantage on block, so if they're just pressing buttons, counter hit them or sidestep them.

Ferrio

Banned
About GIs, Felt really stupid fighting my first nightmare last night. He does his CE, and he becomes all green and shiny and I'm like "I'm going to hit that!". Bad move, okay learned my lesson. Next round he does it again, I just sit there waiting for it to end..... little did i know the move still comes out if you don't trigger the GI.

But now I know throws and other CEs will break it, good to know.

Well I really don't want to pay $60 for this game, as I didn't spend many hours playing IV, but I really want to play SC V this weekend.

You know it's going to be on sale for $29.99 on Amazon at some point in the next few months...

edit: ^ oh shit there is always Red Box. hmmmmm
edit 2: I have a $40 Walmart gift card. This game is mine.

It's not just that you casually refer to "cheevos." It's also the fact that you're so intent on obtaining them. This is you. Happy holidays.
39f688874b1ff16091674df4e4e99030.jpg

I casually refer to them as cheevos BECAUSE they are so dumb. I guess I don't blame people for not getting the self-deprecation, this is a message board after all (figured maybe my silly avatar would help?). btw, you're like my fucking hero, I've listened to every GFW Radio 2 or 3 times, got friends to listen to it, would be on the OOTG threads asking for more, retweet tons of your tweets and one of my favorite things ever is your Heroes of the Web stuff. I get annoying, pathetic internet/video game people (I'm on GAF a lot and work at Gamestop, I encounter them all the time!). I guess it's kind of an honor to be labelled one by you?

*I was working at EB the holiday that buying guide and image came out, my friends and I had a good laugh about it (I actually tweeted it to them like a month ago for old-times sake).

About GIs, Felt really stupid fighting my first nightmare last night. He does his CE, and he becomes all green and shiny and I'm like "I'm going to hit that!". Bad move, okay learned my lesson. Next round he does it again, I just sit there waiting for it to end..... little did i know the move still comes out if you don't trigger the GI.

But now I know throws and other CEs will break it, good to know.

I think it would be more beneficial for you to learn Just Guard rather than trying to GI. In training mode pick your character and pick Sigfried since his moves are rather slow. go to 2p settings then select control settings then moves slot 1 to select attack 3b. practice tapping guard the moment his 3b should hit you till you get it consistently. it can be difficult at first but if you get the timing down it will help you out big time.

Ferrio

Banned
I think it would be more beneficial for you to learn Just Guard rather than trying to GI. In training mode pick your character and pick Sigfried since his moves are rather slow. go to 2p settings then select control settings then moves slot 1 to select attack 3b. practice tapping guard the moment his 3b should hit you till you get it consistently. it can be difficult at first but if you get the timing down it will help you out big time.

Eh, i wasn't talking about doing gis...

Wow, just saw this. Classy brah.

You have 3.5k posts on this board and you're just now making fun of someone for asking a question about getting an achievement in the game's OT?

I had a post before that where I used "cheevos" like 8 times. Someone quoted it, bolded the word and then put up a funny picture of a dog. I quoted it and laughed at it myself!

On topic: I'm really digging this game. I was put off by meter to use GI's at first but I've finally wrapped my head around it. I normally use them to make powerful strings safer (GI at the end of a long string when you expect a punish) and it makes me think twice about going in all the time. It adds to the strategy and emphasis knowing the frames even more than previous entries. Yesterday got around to the A class opponents in quick battle and they don't give you an inch. I really had to step up to even stand a chance and last night when I had friends over to play (a couple who are tournament level at Marvel and other fighting games) I flew right through them (mainly with Ezio and Raphael). I think I'm going to be putting some serious time into this game, I'm not great at combos (though I love Street Fighter, Marvel and KOF) so it's nice to be on the other side of the win screen for a change.

Zomba13

Ezio seems pretty cool but I can't get over the fact that I can't customize him :< (why? it's not like he has unique moves that scream Ezio).

I totally get not being able to make someone with his style or editing him (like giving him an afro or bikini) but I don't get why we can't change his colours. I mean, it's like a big thing in the AC games he's in. You get to change your clothes colours etc. Such a shame we can't do that to him.

I bet it was a Ubisoft control issue. Like they didn't want anyone giving him a pink outfit, let alone stripping him down to a codpiece or something.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I added the link to the CaS thread in the OP, but if the OP'd like to make a big banner and shit for it so it's actually visible, that'd be cool.

Cool, appreciate it. Banner'll have to wait till I get back home and have access to Photoshop, for now big bold letters will have to do. :p

Again, anyone needs any invites to the PSN SoulCalibur V chat message me:

PSN: Ferrio

Mind if I update the OP with your PSN name for people to ask for an invite to the chat?

Ferrio

Banned
Cool, appreciate it. Banner'll have to wait till I get back home and have access to Photoshop, for now big bold letters will have to do. :p

Mind if I update the OP with your PSN name for people to ask for an invite to the chat?

Sure, throw QisTopTier on there too since he hands out invite too.

OSHAN

Guide has shipped and should be here Monday. Pretty excited to get it, but surprised it is already back ordered on Amazon.

Anyone have any nice pictures of the guide and its contents?

Top Bottom