• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Chan's /v/ hosting their own Video Games Awards ceremony

About the /v/GAs

The /v/GAs (Vidya Gaem Awards) were born in early December 2011 as a response to the Spike VGAs, which were worse than anybody could have predicted and an insult to the entire gaming industry.

A small group of anon decided that instead of just bitching, they could do something about it. The result: an award show with no budget, no skill and no hope that it would get anywhere. Created and run based entirely on the feedback of /v/, the /v/GAs are a way to recognise both the best and the worst that the gaming industry has to offer, and to have a bit of fun while doing so.

Here is the list of categories. If you follow the links then you can see the nominees for each category:

I love some of these categories.

Scrub of the Year Award presented by THE BEST GAMERS
Well, I'm gonna be nominated on this one.

----

But yeah, this is what gaming needs. Not some "Oscar Worthy" awards, like the VGA's try to be.

Orayn

This will be worth watching simply because it's being hosted by Duke, a now legendary reader of bad fan fiction. (Like dis if u cry everytim, among others.)

V_Arnold

These awards feel like a skewed perspective of an old, retired Rambo-like gamer. But it actually comes out as alright for some reason. Except for the fat part. Fuck that.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I voted in this one quite a while ago.

I giggled, clapped, and cheered through preview. My body is ready.

4chan thinks we're all Sony fanboys who get paid to say things

Just ignore that thread, it's not even close to representative of /v/'s opinion. That was just one crazy guy's conspiracy theory-level ramblings that the rest of the board completely ignored. You can tell later on in the thread that he was pretty much alone in his beliefs. I posted in there a few times, along with showing my name, to argue against some of the claims. Oh well.

Reddit award for worst fanbase.
KuGsj.gif

tomg126

Banned
At the core of it /v/ is a great place to go for honest opinions about games, it's also amusing and whether they like it or not the board is *buzzword* to be a part of.

Actually made me proud when they beat Reddit at Tribes this weekend with a team that was put together half an hour before the match. Complete with a 140 ping BR player and a furry tripcode user. Reddits team had trained together for days lol

Jenga

Banned
Least Hated Game of the Year the game /v/ hated the least (Witcher 2)

Most Hated Game of the Year the game /v/ hated the most (Dragon Age 2 or TOR)

Sort of OK Dev Award for developer of the year (CDprojekt)

Karl Marx Award for most capitalistic publisher (Activision or EA)

Alright Publisher Award for publisher of the year (Atlus?)

"My Eyes are Bleeding" Award for worst graphics (Dragon Age 2)

Grafics Cat Award for best technical graphics (Witcher 2)

Hamburger Helper Award for terrible writing (Dragon Age 2)

Planescape Award for great writing (Witcher 2)

Rehash Award for least improved sequel (Dragon Age 2)

Reddit Award for most hated fanbase this year (MLP or Reddit)

Teabagging Award for worst video game related event (VGAs)

Blunder of the Year for setting a new standard for failure (Dragon Age 2)

Scrub of the Year Award presented by THE BEST GAMERS (some circle jerk bullshit)

Audiophile Award for best sound (Amnesia)
my predictions

They need to hire some witless D-listers, can't have an award ceremony without them.

Alternatively, they could do something along the lines of the BAFTAs and actually have it presented by people that play video games. And not in the "I play COD and Wii Tennis" sense that makes people "hardcore gamers" in Spike's eyes.

So, hire Robin Williams, is what I'm saying Spike should do.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can get behind this. I mean, a "for gamers by gamers" "award ceremony" on the internet isn't going to mean much, but for the hell of it and fun why not?

Most Hated Game of the Year the game /v/ hated the most

I'm going to call TORtanic as the one everyone hates from 2011. Everyone on /v/ was bitching about it.

Jenga

Banned
I can get behind this. I mean, a "for gamers by gamers" "award ceremony" on the internet isn't going to mean much, but for the hell of it and fun why not?

I'm going to call TORtanic as the one everyone hates from 2011. Everyone on /v/ was bitching about it.
true, but dragon age 2 started the downward spiral

Surprisingly, it was not one of the nominees:

Battlefield 3
Dragon Age 2
Duke Nukem Forever
Minecraft
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

tomg126

Banned
You can't be serious.

They champion some true classics and tell the truth about big steaming piles such as TOR, i know you have trolls etc there but most of the time out of a hundred replies, most will be able to tell you if and why a game is worth checking out due to the anonymity of the board.

TheSeks

You can't be serious.

If you take the trolling aside and cherrypick opinions out, it can be. It's the same as GAF: Shitty opinions or trolling or stupidity abound, but 4chan//v/ has anonymity for those comments to not be tied to people.

But I do remember the /v/ that would discuss games with non-trolling and hostility outside of "NO U XBOX IS THE BESTESTEST NO U PS2 IS THE BESTESTEST" console wars in 2005. Then Habbo Raids happened and /v/ started to go in the shitter... *sigh and rocking chair*

As much hate as /v/ gets, it is one of the least shitty communities on the internet in comparison to GameFAQs and Xboxrepublic or whatever.

Jintor

Just ignore that thread, it's not even close to representative of /v/'s opinion. That was just one crazy guy's conspiracy theory-level ramblings that the rest of the board completely ignored. You can tell later on in the thread that he was pretty much alone in his beliefs. I posted in there a few times, along with showing my name, to argue against some of the claims. Oh well.

There's no such thing as /v/'s opinion. Trying to think of any subset of anon as a cohesive group is an exercise in futility.

I really like the 'game we hated the least' award for GOTY

TheSeks

Surprisingly, it was not one of the nominees:

Dragon Age 2, then. I can't see anyone on /v/ hating on BF3 (FUNFIELD AWESOME TIME 3 or whatever they called BC2 as well), or MW3 ("Well, at least it isn't as bad as MW2...") for DA2 to not take that then.

Top Bottom