• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soni's ultimatie plan: Develope less games!

I found this to be an interesting read. The article is based on the GameInformers QA.

Despite being one of the best publishers in the industry, and managing to bring out critical hit after critical hit, Sony has failed to produce huge chart-topping games like Gears of War and Halo. Outside of Gran Turismo, Sony’s IPs have yet to hit the big time, partially due to poor marketing – something that Sony’s Worldwide Studios President has taken notice of.

When questioned by GameInformer why Microsoft were able to sell just one game in 2011, Gears of War 3 (although, to be fair, they did have other games), and it still managed to sell more than all of Sony’s products combined, Shuhei Yoshida admitted that their increased lineup stretched marketing funds and focus (emphasis added):

It’s a combination of many things. First, we have to be very honest about our games’ quality as well. We love our games, but we can point out many issues when you look at the titles individually.

Another thing is focus. When you have ten games coming out in a year compared to two or three, how much focus you get from our business and marketing side is very hard. From a portfolio side, we were very excited about the games we had last year, but we probably diluted support for each title.

He was then asked whether Sony could end up producing less games. After talking about Sony’s love for new IPs he closed with an admission that the company should develop fewer games and support them more (emphasis added):

It’s easy to say, “Yeah, let’s make three games a year.” But game development is dynamic. You cannot plan to do that. You already have to have a certain number of games in the pipeline hoping they hit in a certain year. We love working on new IPs. It’s really hard to predict when these games get finished.

It’s a challenge, but I think we could and probably should be focused on a smaller number of titles so each one gets the best support.

With titles like The Last Guardian - which sadly is unlikely to sell well – being stuck in development for years, and games like Resistance 3 failing to pass a million sales, Sony’s plan to release a huge number of quality games doesn’t seem to be working for them. And, when you factor in the fact that Microsoft has managed to top the NPD six months running with the help of a fewer number or far higher marketed products, it’s understandable why the cash-strapped company might want to release fewer games. Unfortunately, while a drop in Sony-produced content might be good for their bank balance, it certainly isn’t good for gamers – titles like Heavy Rain and Flower would never have been funded by a different publisher.

With the PlayStation 4′s release drawing ever closer, it’ll be interesting to see which route Sony decides to adopt – tons of games, little marketing or a few games with tons of marketing. I know which one I’d prefer.

Your thoughts?

Source (won't let me post there URL, must be a banned site) :-(
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/10/shuhei-yoshida-interview.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Loudninja

Eh it part of the GI article that I made a topic for
Could you see Sony putting out fewer games?

It’s easy to say, “Yeah, let’s make three games a year.” But game development is dynamic. You cannot plan to do that. You already have to have a certain number of games in the pipeline hoping they hit in a certain year. We love working on new IPs. It’s really hard to predict when these games get finished.

It’s a challenge, but I think we could and probably should be focused on a smaller number of titles so each one gets the best support.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/02/10/shuhei-yoshida-interview.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Beats Microsoft's one game per year.

So Sony's going to pull a Microsoft and just release Gran Turismo, Uncharted, and God of War sequels because nothing else in their portfolio really matters?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

That one might have been me tee hee

GQY5p.jpg

They just need to put more commercials out for their games. The only commercial I saw for one of their games this year was Uncharted 3.

Derrick01

Banned
They just need to put more commercials out for their games. The only commercial I saw for one of their games this year was Uncharted 3.

True and they need to start marketing more on popular channels like ESPN, which they did for Uncharted 3 (a fucking lot too I might add, I watch it every day so I saw it a lot).

They also need to stop sinking shit tons of money into failing projects that take forever like they did with LA Noire and are currently doing with Last Guardian. I don't know if Rockstar gave them the money back for Noire but they still sunk way too much into that and produced squat.

I don't know. I certainly like Sony's exclusive games alot more than Microsoft's . Sony just needs to do a better job positioning and marketing them.

I'm always a little bummed to notice threads after all the major changes have been made. :(

The only change was getting the URL to work. I am not able to alter the title. You really didn't miss out on anything. I just hope I don't get banned for this. I will only post sober from now on.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Hard for me to care since the multiplayer in Resistance 2, and portions of the single player from the uncharted series are the only things they've published that I didn't actively dislike.

(Disc based that is, PSN has had alot of stuff I like.)

Busty

Banned
Every first party game that Sony released they own the IP on.

Microsoft cannot say the same. They DO NOT own the Gears Of War IP.

In short I look forward to playing a Gears Of War game on a Sony console in future.

Will Xbox owners be able to look forward to playing a Naughty Dog title on their format of choice anytime soon?

I thought not.

Every first party game that Sony released they own the IP on.

Microsoft cannot say the same. They DO NOT own the Gears Of War IP.

In short I look forward to playing a Gears Of War game on a Sony console in future.

Will Xbox owners be able to look forward to playing a Naughty Dog title on their format of choice anytime soon?

I thought not.

Do xbox owners care?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Good, maybe they'll start putting more care into quality IP's like they did in the PS2 days.

They've gotten cocky and spoiled with their position in the marketplace, hopefully it's not too late. MS has done quite a bit of damage to their marketshare already.

Dambrosi

Banned
That topic title. Reminds me of the way French spells words.

Anyway, good to hear that Sony are at least beginning to get it. The crash of '83 was brought on by too many too-similar games over-saturating the market. I'm glad to see someone recognizing the clear and present danger the industry is in at the moment.

Now, I still think that the "big games" industry is in some danger of crashing, either from over-saturation or over-exploitation (nickle-and-diming, DLC, Online Passes, etc), but also that such a cataclysm is some ways off yet. It really depends on just how much bullshit the consumer is willing to take, and by extension, how many rights they're willing to give up (like the right to resell, lend or even own the games they've paid good money for), just to play some vidya.

My view is that the general audience's patience will eventually wear thin, the way things are going right now, and "Big Games" will inevitably face another Atari Crisis. It's just a matter of how long it takes for them to snap.

I'll take one or two brilliant games over 10 average/above average ones.

Smart move.

LBP (controls) and GT5 (unfinished game, premium/standard distinction) were this close to being fantastic titles. A few more months of development (okay GT5 might have been years =P) and they would have been must play games.

Top Bottom