• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soni's ultimatie plan: Develope less games!

Mario007

IPs like Killzone, Resistance, and Infamous just seem like market researchers trying to make something specifically to sell to 'hardcore' gamers. Someone who plays 20+ games a year will appreciate the nuances to the games but for everyone else, they don't stand out much from the crowd. You could market the shit out of these games and not make much more head way.

I know that infamous isn't exactly system seller but that franchise is objectively very good. The two games were top notch in what they tried to achieve and I would even argue that Infamous 2 was the game of the year for PS3 last year.

I know that infamous isn't exactly system seller but that franchise is objectively very good. The two games were top notch in what they tried to achieve and I would even argue that Infamous 2 was the game of the year for PS3 last year.

Indamous has a bright future. The Festival of Blood was the fastest selling PSN game in the history.

mujun

I agree with this. Cut some average games and invest that money into their top tier studios.

Yep. Cold hard truth. People are all about talking up the 1st party line up before the games actually come out or in console war threads but when it actually comes to looking at many of the games individually the responses are usually much more lukewarm.

Let the mediocre ones die and concentrate on the big guns/critical darlings.

Monocle

Seems like a sound strategy.

That one might have been me tee hee

GQY5p.jpg
Masterful work, sir.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep. Cold hard truth. People are all about talking up the 1st party line up before the games actually come out or in console war threads but when it actually comes to looking at many of the games individually the responses are usually much more lukewarm.

Let the mediocre ones die and concentrate on the big guns/critical darlings.

Doesn't it make you sad thinking about $X Million being spent on what essentially would be marketing and ads could have produced actual games?

Is the idea of $100 Million spent on 1 game and its marketing (maybe with most of it going to the latter) just to make sure it is a super success so appealing?

What are all the bad titles that are worth dropping?

I've really enjoyed a lot of the output by Sony, and the only game I've seen get really panned is Heavy Rain. Otherwise most of the titles are getting 80%+ and Sony seem to have a comparable hit to miss ratio as other game studios.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
No, because if those ads manage to sell the games, there will be more money to invest back into making more sequels.

Fixed

I've really enjoyed a lot of the output by Sony, and the only game I've seen get really panned is Heavy Rain. Otherwise most of the titles are getting 80%+ and Sony seem to have a comparable hit to miss ratio as other game studios.

Heavy Rain generally got good reviews, and I think it was profitable too. The ones they really should just can altogether are ModNation Racers, White Knight Chronicles, Resistance and Motorstorm. Killzone gets good reviews and sells decently, so it stays for the time being.

mujun

Doesn't it make you sad thinking about $X Million being spent on what essentially would be marketing and ads could have produced actual games?

Is the idea of $100 Million spent on 1 game and its marketing (maybe with most of it going to the latter) just to make sure it is a super success so appealing?

I don't necessarily think all (or even much) of the money should go to marketing. That being said you have to spend money to make money.

There are certainly some of Sony's large stable that would benefit from more resources even if it was at the expense of some of the offerings that are too hard to really bring up to the blockbuster level.

I suppose another option might be to get more aggressive on pricing. The middle of the road games might do better at $40 or something like that. With so many 1st party titles might be a good idea to get some sort of pricing tier set up so that more games can be successful financially. Careful decisions in terms of release timing could also help, put out the Resistances and Motorstorms in the quieter months.

Binabik15

Another thing is focus. When you have ten games coming out in a year compared to two or three, how much focus you get from our business and marketing side is very hard. From a portfolio side, we were very excited about the games we had last year, but we probably diluted support for each title.

Old Sony problem, I guess. One part does something, goes to other department/branch for help and they go "nope".

Good to know that whatever they'll come up with next will receive a stronger marketing push (please no thumb penis or crying baby) and might actually sell well, but I wonder what that select number of titles will be.

It won't be Resistance. Resistance 1 was a fun game IMO, but they killed the franchise with two. From the beginning I was slightly disappointed that they didn't go for a more horror shooter approach, as shown in the short vid with Chimeras swarming around like Tyranid gaunts. Would've been great. Really liked the alt history and crazy weapons, though.

Killzone seems to be a candidate. Killzone is a great universe, but the games manage to make the layered background into a very stupid plot. It's okay to focus on a grunt perspective, but please, if you have such a good backdrop don't force people to go online to check it out, at least put it into the game. Story aside, I liked the setting and alt fire of KZ1 and it had things going for it with the tension between Rico and whatshisface half-Helghast dude, I liked KZ2 well enough, didn't buy KZ3 because I got a pc around that time and I was busy playing other games. The mp beta also wasn't that much fun, from what I played. Liberation was great, but I'm stuck. KZ4 seems likely, but pleeeease make the story better.

Uncharted, huh, Naughty Dog makes something new now. The first was great, the second introduced a few nice things, but a lot of dumb ones and I didn't like it as much as the first. Gatling wielding men with armour to stop everything short of a (rp) grenade? Shooting down several attack helicoptres? Er, okay. I want to play Golden Abyss before 3, as I waited too long for a price drop on 3 and now the Vita is the new shiny thing.

I own inFamous, but I got tired of fighting Reapers all the damn time when all I want to do is wander around, so I haven't played a lot. Seems the franchise is healthy enough, no long dev circle, no reports of it costing a lot to make, hardly any fan drama outside of the main character's look (lol).

God of War 4 is seemingly in production. I love GoW games. I'm not good at such games as DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but with Kratos I can still rip guys and gods apart. Fantastic art as well. After five games though (yeah, PSP titles count) they need to change it up. A lot.

They'd be mad not to make a new Gran Turismo, might as well spit into the faces of their European fanbase.

Can't comment on the rest, really, but they need to fire up Japan. Where is my APE ASCAP3D or whatever name they'd slap on it?

And I know that Lair was a horrible bomb, but now that Skyrim is all the rage and dragons are finally cool again I want a dragon game. Spryo the Abomination doesn't count.

It's a shame that people seem to buy a) heavily marketed games and/or b)sequels of multi-million sellers, but if this is what it takes to survive the console business, so be it. In an imaginary world it wouldn't be bad for a studio go under, they could band together and make awesome and thus well selling pc games, bringing joy to millions instead of fueling teh console warz with their games, but it's not like that.

Heavy Rain generally got good reviews, and I think it was profitable too. The ones they really should just can altogether are ModNation Racers, White Knight Chronicles, Resistance and Motorstorm. Killzone gets good reviews and sells decently, so it stays for the time being.

Heavy Rain was shit.

Motorstorm is quality!

And the rest, they're not bad games, just ordinary, they're not like the crap Rare was pumping out before it was put out to pasture by MS.

Yeah - patapon, uncharted, the ico team (despite this generation), wipeout,motorstorm, lbp, infamous, even killzone are great franchises and it would be a shame to lose them for a select few games that are even more heavily market researched and then advertised.

Sony's failure is their horrible marketing - where any dollars spent are spent poorly. Rather than drop titles Sony should just focus on creating a more cohesive advertising system (like the only does everything; or kb ads) but one that doesn't change every few monthss (indicating a lack of identity). Sony also needs to advertise on the console better. The entire games section of the xmb should be more "gamer culture" oriented with ads for games, community and content like microsofts system. Sony could leave other spaces free of this so the user can still enjoy the sleek look of the xmb.

I like the xmb but i also appreciate that something like metro is much better at helping push content. If Sony is thinking about moving money away from failed concepts then i think they need to first define what those failures are - their marketing philosophy, not content.

Combichristoffersen

Heavy Rain was shit.

Motorstorm is quality!

And the rest, they're not bad games, just ordinary, they're not like the crap Rare was pumping out before it was put out to pasture by MS.

Heavy Rain has a rating of 87 on Metacritic, so reviewers certainly don't think it was shit (and it sold a couple of million copies too, from what I can remember). As for Motorstorm, it's not about quality, it's about sales. The games don't sell enough to make it a worthwhile endeavour.

I guess new IPs are financed out of thin air.

Why make new IPs when they could just make sequels? The only new IP that has been a real success for Sony this gen is Uncharted. Others like Heavy Rain and inFamous have had decent sales, but they're not quite on the same level as Uncharted.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If it's a matter of spreading marketing resources too thinly, then they would do well to remove some of the historical redundancies in their portfolio. For example, both SCEE and SCEA don't really need their own big FPS franchise IMO. Roll the effort (developmental & marketing) behind one.

I wouldn't like to see pruning go too much beyond duplicate-trimming though, personally.

Combichristoffersen

so now the same game reviewers that said GTA4 had an oscar worthy story are qualified to judge a game which solely revolves around story?

Not necessarily. But why drop a developer that made a game that got good reviews and was profitable to boot? The latest Motorstorm (Apocalypse) has a Metacritic of 77, which indicates generally favourable reviews, but it sold like shit. And considering Sony's economical troubles, good reviews alone don't pay the bills.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the sole reason why I own Sony's console is their exclusives. I think many people feel the same way.

Globox_82

Banned
Sony should just cut on shit. Like Heroes on the move, Zumbas quest (that move game what ever the name was) , White Knight Crap, Resistance, Motorstorm and other games that don't sell and never will.
For example Motorstorm. I always hear how it sold 2 million. Yeah when 90% was bundeled. Second one flopped, and there they should have moved on.

the irony here is that the games that sell the best are also in the most refined genre at the moment, any western developer can make a mechanically good shooter. Sony makes a lot of untested genre new IP, which by its nature isn't going to be as well refined / reviewed / sold.

I do think that if their goal was not sales but rather mindshare and new customers with game variety they have done a better job of that then ms have recently.

Combichristoffersen

Sony should just cut on shit. Like Heroes on the move, Zumbas quest (that move game what ever the name was) , White Knight Crap, Resistance, Motorstorm and other games that don't sell and never will.
For example Motorstorm. I always hear how it sold 2 million. Yeah when 90% was bundeled. Second one flopped, and there they should have moved on.

You mean Deadmund's Quest, I assume. Although a zumba action RPG for the Move certainly sounds original :lol

I didn't buy a PS3 but if I was going to own an HD console that would've been it. MS has Gears and nothing else exclusive to it I'm interested in. SONY has Valkyria, Heavy Rain, Uncharted and God of War.

They also don't charge for their online service which is a big plus.

Valkyria Chronicles is a third party IP though, so Sega could take it multiplat if they want to. In fact, I'm surprised they haven't already done so.

wildfire

Banned
I didn't buy a PS3 but if I was going to own an HD console that would've been it. MS has Gears and nothing else exclusive to it I'm interested in. SONY has Valkyria, Heavy Rain, Uncharted and God of War.

They also don't charge for their online service which is a big plus.

I do think that if their goal was not sales but rather mindshare and new customers with game variety they have done a better job of that then ms have recently.

If we're looking at mindshare and customers in general, then they have undoubtedly done a much worse job. Microsoft still has the core gamer, the mainstream gamer, and now also the casual gamer.

KAL2006

Banned
It's obvious what IP's Sony will drop or relegate to Vita

Resistance
Ratchet and Clank
Killzone
SOCOM

I think the following are safe, as they sell well enough and/or have good reception

Uncharted
God of War
Gran Turismo
inFamous
Heavy Rain (or similar type of game from Quantic Dreams)
LittleBigPlanet

Combichristoffersen

Resistance
Ratchet and Clank
Killzone
SOCOM

I think the following are safe, as they sell well enough and/or have good reception

Uncharted
God of War
Gran Turismo
inFamous
LittleBigPlanet

Killzone should be safe for now, but Resistance, Motorstorm and ModNation will most likely be killed off. R&C needs some time off before they return. And I have no idea what they want to do with SOCOM and MAG.

I agree that the following is a good list:

Uncharted
God of War
Gran Turismo
inFamous
LittleBigPlanet

I still think Sony needs to spend a good portion of time on new IPs to find a breakout hit.

RaijinFY

Resistance
Ratchet and Clank
Killzone
SOCOM

Uncharted
God of War
Gran Turismo
inFamous
LittleBigPlanet

They need a FPS so i doubt Killzone will be relegated unless they create a new FPS franchise.
Among the series to be dropped or relegated, you forgot Motorstorm.
I think they need to make a contract with from software to develop a game ala Dark/Demon's Souls. They don't have any exclusive WRPG in their portfolio.

Combichristoffersen

They don't have any exclusive WRPG in their portfolio.

They have IPs like Legend of Dragoon, Folklore and White Knight Chronicles, but LoD has been dead since the PS1, and the latter two weren't particularly popular outside Japan.

Edit: Misread WRPG as JRPG. But yeah, WRPG is a genre where they're lacking.

Derrick01

Banned
They don't have any exclusive WRPG in their portfolio.

This is what Sony should have invested in. They should have had one of their studios who really knows the tech of the system make one.

Rumor is Guerrilla's making one but it's going to take more than graphics to make a good wrpg.

Endo Punk

Sony makes some top notch games but then they also make some incredibly generic ones like KZ, R and such. Trim the fat and keep the quality like inFAMOUS, GOW, Uncharted.

Mario007

They need a FPS so i doubt Killzone will be relegated unless they create a new FPS franchise.
Among the series to be dropped or relegated, you forgot Motorstorm.
I think they need to make a contract with from software to develop a game ala Dark/Demon's Souls. They don't have any exclusive WRPG in their portfolio.

they actually own demon's souls IP so they could make a sequel to it

Their first party games are the most varied and some of the highest reviewed. They almost universally fail sales wise, however. Why is this? Likely because their marketing is terrible. Kevin Butler, while funny, will not move copies. Uncharted 3 did well because of the early beta and the Subway partnership. They have to learn from that.

To be honest, for Sony to succeed in my eyes, I wish they'd cancel first/second party development (aside from Naughty Gods) and invest in moneyhats instead :p... I liked Sony for things like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc.

Ever since this focus on first party content, they really haven't been the brand for me. I don't care about Killzone, Infamous, Resistance, Little Big Planet, Modnation, etc. That's not what built PS1 and PS2....

This. They should focus on these IPs: Gran Turismo, Uncharted (or whatever ND makes), Killzone to have the token shooter, and Demon's Souls for the cult, hardcore game. Just can everything else. Trim the fat.

Killzone 3 sold less than Killzone 2 so that IP is likely to face either total termination or more realistically being branded as a handheld-only game, lime Syphoon Filter. Although I won't completely rule out a PS3/PS4 sequel.

Motorstorm also faces the danger of budget decrease. They are great games, IMO, especially Apocalypse but simply don't sell well.

SOCOM and MAG are in trouble. SOCOM has seensales decrease from game to game and MAG didn't set charts on fire, not anywhere close actually.

Resistance probably won't see a home console sequel after poor sales of the last game and Ted Prices' comments on its future. Ratchet won't see a big budget sequel either.

So, basically, that leaves God of War, Gran Turismo, inFAMOUS and Uncharted as their core games that will recieve big budgets in the future. LittleBigPlanet is questionable as it seems that MM is working on a new IP and I doubt Sony will give a go ahead for an AAA budget sewuel done by an external studio. Then there's stuff like Heavy Rain which serves to fill a nice niche and did surprisingly well, in both sales and Meta score. And of course, new IPs currently developed (The Last of Us, MM's project, GG's new IP) and that will be developed in the future for the PS4.

Top Bottom