• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soni's ultimatie plan: Develope less games!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Every first party game that Sony released they own the IP on.

Microsoft cannot say the same. They DO NOT own the Gears Of War IP.

In short I look forward to playing a Gears Of War game on a Sony console in future.

Will Xbox owners be able to look forward to playing a Naughty Dog title on their format of choice anytime soon?

I thought not.

Not likely to happen.

People don't get banned for accidental double posts or typos or messing up a URL! We're a kind and gentle forum!

That's not what you said when I asked Evilore if such a riveting chap would be doing something gay this weekend, like going to the music hall :(

Card Boy

Banned

In short I look forward to playing a Gears Of War game on a Sony console in future.

Will Xbox owners be able to look forward to playing a Naughty Dog title on their format of choice anytime soon?

I thought not.

Not sure who your even talking to. I've always thought there should be no console exclusives unless it's first party. People only arguing otherwise are fanboys. This isn't a port beg post, im just speaking in general.

People said the same thing about Devil May Cry at the start of this gen and we got those (shameful) petitions from Sony 'fans' regardless.

I meant do xbox owners care about not being able to play a Naughty Dog game on their console of choice.

Ra1den

This is really sad. The reason Sony's games aren't selling as well as Microsoft's is because they don't have the same mass appeal as a Halo or Gears. The solution is not to release fewer games, the solution is to release games that appeal to the masses who only play Gears and Halo.

Ahh. You're probably right.

In an unrelated matter....

How's that Mass Effect 2 exclusive working out for you?

The only people who care about a game being exclusive are the internet console warrior nutjobs like yourself. Everyone else isn't affected by a game being available on another platform and most gaming consumers likely don't even know that a game like Mass Effect used to be exclusive.

I agree. There is little Western appeal to their games. As much as I love Eastern titles, the heavy Easter flair is not well received int eh Western market.

Combichristoffersen

This is really sad. The reason Sony's games aren't selling as well as Microsoft's is because they don't have the same mass appeal as a Halo or Gears. The solution is not to release fewer games, the solution is to release games that appeal to the masses who only play Gears and Halo.

They sort of tried that with Killzone and Resistance, and you know how that went.

I agree. There is little Western appeal to there games. As much as I love Eastern titles. Sony games seem to always have a heavy Eastern flair.

How do games like Uncharted, inFamous or even Killzone have a 'Eastern flair'?

People already have Gears and Halo they don't need nor want clones. What Sony needs are original ideas that others don't have. That's the methodology that worked wonders for SCEJ during the PS1. It unfortunately hasn't worked out that well since...

But if those original ideas don't involve shooting aliens/terrorists in the face, it won't be succesful in the West anyway. It's a lose-lose situation for them.

Takao

Banned

People already have Gears and Halo they don't need nor want clones. What Sony needs are original ideas that others don't have. That's the methodology that worked wonders for SCEJ during the PS1. It unfortunately hasn't worked out that well since...

Busty

Banned
I meant do xbox owners care about not being able to play a Naughty Dog game on their console of choice.

Ahhh. Those guys.

No one cares.

Please go back to N4G.

Wow, this is some low quality trolling.

Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape?

MS don't own the Gears IP. Epic does.

We went through this whole sordid mess at the start of last gen with loads of PS 'exclusives'. Why won't the same thing happen this time around?

I agree. There is little Western appeal to their games. As much as I love Eastern titles, the heavy Easter flair is not well received int eh Western market.

That has got to be the most nonsensical statement regarding Sony's 1st party output I've seen. If anything the complaint this generation has been that Sony doesn't have enough Eastern development and it's been their western branches holding down the fort.

They sort of tried that with Killzone and Resistance, and you know how that went.

How do games like Uncharted, inFamous or even Killzone have a 'Eastern flair'?

I don't know how to describe it; however, all of them give me a Eastern feel to them. Uncharted seems like quality Japanese development (IE Shenmue) trying to appeal to the Western market by watching one to many Indiana Jones movies. It still reeks of Easter development to me. This is a good thing, as I like Eastern developed games.

The little touches are very Eastern and the over accessorizing gives it a very Eastern vibe to me.

Infamous 2 really seemed like an a solid Eastern game, with a Western template. The template doesn't get rid of the Eastern vibe.

Killzone I can't tell you. I'm about to start playing Killzone 3 with the move this weekend. I have a feeling this one won't have the Eastern vibe I love.

I don't know how to describe it; however, all of them give me a Eastern feel to them. Uncharted seems like quality Japanese development (IE Shenmue) trying to appeal to the Western market by watching one to many Indiana Jones movies. It still reeks of Easter development to me. This is a good thing, as I like Eastern developed games.

The little touches are very Eastern and the over accessorizing gives it a very Easter vibe to me.

Infamous 2 really seemed like an a solid eastern game, with a Western template. The template doesn't get rid of the Easter vibe.

Killzone I can't tell you. I'm about to start playing Killzone 3 with the move this weekend. I have a feeling this one won't have the Easter vibe I love.

Are you experiencing problems with your keyboard?

Combichristoffersen

The little touches are very Eastern and the over accessorizing gives it a very Easter vibe to me.

Infamous 2 really seemed like an a solid eastern game, with a Western template. The template doesn't get rid of the Easter vibe.

...this honestly doesn't make much sense to me.

Busty

Banned
People are pointing out typos now? Really?

Clearly there is a very sensitive issue being discussed in this thread if people are jumping on any little thing.

I don't really care what it is hence my relative indifference.

*cough*

Garcia

That one might have been me tee hee

GQY5p.jpg

Dude, thank you so much for the laughs provided <3.

Ra1den

Crazy as it sounds, that does seem like their best bet. The problem is the casual market has been so thoroughly penetrated by Microsoft's big titles that Sony is going to have an uphill battle no matter which route they take. They are in a very challenging position, much in the same way that Microsoft was when they released the original XBox. They are gonna need to one-up MS somehow, like the way MS got the jump start on Sony this gen with their release of the 360.

I don't think releasing unique innovative games is going to win over the Halo+Gears 4-life crowd at this point.
I would also say that both Killzone and Resistance lack the mass appeal that Halo has.

Kusagari

Uncharted is pretty unique, especially when it first came out. It has steadily sold better and better, but it still hasn't broken through like Gears or Halo. Not sure what Sony could do there though.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's not Sony's plan. It's the entire industries. If you've been paying attention.

You go big AAA franchise, and you go social/mobile/digital. Soon to be completely gone are your mid-tier budget games. Market will no longer support.

The top sell more than ever, everything else is not a good investment anymore. Sigh.

DiscoJer

That's not Sony's plan. It's the entire industries. If you've been paying attention.

You go big AAA franchise, and you go social/mobile/digital. Soon to be completely gone are your mid-tier budget games. Market will no longer support.

The top sell more than ever, everything else is not a good investment anymore. Sigh.

Well, I think that's actually the problem Sony has - they try to make AAA titles that will compete with Halo and Gears and Call of Duty and GTA and the like...only they don't sell like them.

They're more like mid tier publishers in terms of how their AAA games do rather than Epic or Activision. Maybe a million or two, but that's it

The failings of Killzone and Resistance have little to do with going after a particular audience and a lot to do with failing to meet certain quality standards.

No. it has everything to do of trying to get that CoD crowd. Killzone 2 and Resistance 1 is great and have distinct unique feel to their gameplay in single player and multiplayer. rather than continue to develop their strength for the sequel, they totally change the feel of the game trying to appeal to CoD crowd, totally alienating fans of the previous games although they at least gain some new fans with their unique co-op mode.

then Resistance 3 trying to go back to their roots by ignoring a lot of what R2 did, now R2 fans are pissed because they ditch the co-op mode, couple with lack of marketing, old R1 fans didn't really comeback to R3.

Resistance franchise is definitely a text book example of how not to treat a franchise imo.

Resistance was a solid game that got more attention and sales than you'd expect because it was a platform exclusive launch game. They then killed the franchise with an awful sequel, I don't think there's anything mysterious or complicated about how that franchise failed.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Most of them don't even know that Naughty Dog exists would be my guess.

About the original article, producing fewer games can indirectly lead to each game selling more. For some circumstantial evidence check the attach rate for launch software and review the great industry crash. People starved for content will settle for "good enough" just so they have something to play and in the other case you had a supesaturated market, most of which was just shovelware so nobody bought anything except the absolute gems.

Determining the best number of slices to cut your development pie into is probably more magic than science.

Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape?

MS don't own the Gears IP. Epic does.

We went through this whole sordid mess at the start of last gen with loads of PS 'exclusives'. Why won't the same thing happen this time around?

Nothing is impossible, for all we know DQX will release on 360 and PS3 6 months after the Wii/WiiU version.

Right now though, that's unlikely. Just like it it's unlikely that MS will "allow" Epic to release Gears anywhere else though, 360 and maybe GFWL if PC folks are lucky. By "allow" I mean throw enough money at them that they will keep it exclusive. Gears 2 and 3 still haven't come out on PC.

I prefer to take things as they are announced or, at least, heavily hinted at. Until then, nothing is really set in stone and you shouldn't make assumptions. What Combichristoffersen said is true, it's unlikely for Gears to go on a PS platform for the foreseeable future. If you must hope for a 3rd party game on 360, hope for L4D Collection or Shadow Complex, those have a better chance of coming over IMO.

I do think it's a little funny though that when some folks talk about 3rd party games like Insomiac, MGS, FF, etc, they say that 3rd party exclusives are a thing of the past and PS360WiiUPC multiplatform is the future for all 3rd party games, but then get bent out of shape when the game being talked about is Gears, Dragon Quest, and, lately, Monster Hunter.

Hey You

I thought not.

herewego.gif

FLEABttn

Banned
No. it has everything to do of trying to get that CoD crowd. Killzone 2 and Resistance 1 is great and have distinct unique feel to their gameplay in single player and multiplayer. rather than continue to develop their strength for the sequel, they totally change the feel of the game trying to appeal to CoD crowd, totally alienating fans of the previous games although they at least gain some new fans with their unique co-op mode.
That you call the gameplay distinct and unique for both Killzone and Resistance as an absolute positive tells me exactly why you think the way that you did for both. The changes made to their gameplay was a direct result of it being subpar for both.

Your mistake is confusing unique for good. Resistances changes ended up being schizophrenic but were based on the first game being lifeless and devoid of soul, a barren mix of the worst parts of Call of Duty 1, Halo, and Half-Life. Changes to Killzone 3 were based on Killzone 2 having terrible characters, terrible story, and the worst dual analogue controls in the entire genre; Killzone 2's biggest mistake was its feel.

Then why didn't they give Killzone 3 more dev time?

Disappointing multiplayer decisions aside, more dev time would've ensured a more polished single player campaign and a more feature rich multiplayer mode (what happened to the clan system? squad chat? etc.). It should've been a much bigger game than it ended up being.

They seem to be doing well with Uncharted, but Uncharted 3 felt somewhat rushed compared to 2 as well.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
WTF is Soni?

I understand the PSN to SEN transfer

Sony to Soni, trying to ride on Apple coat tail by doing the reverse i

Soni Walkman... OMFG a iWalkman!

I thought not.

Excuse me for a minute while I run crying out of the room.

Top Bottom