• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Console Version "in the preparation stage".

Holy shit, was Guild Wars 2 announced to have a console version before? Or is this the first time they have said there will be a console version?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Thanks for the beta test PC players.

Huehuehuehue

Complistic

They've said they had a small team working along side the PC development to port it.

I can't see a hotkey Action MMO working at all with a controller but more power to them if they can maximize their profits with minimal efforts.

Yeah, this will never be released. How many MMO-styled games have said they were porting to a console, only to end up never being released?

Einbroch

Banned
Cool, but...

I really hope this doesn't end up being a FFXI, where a game released in 2012 on PC is limited by a game released for a dying system in 2013. Awful time to release a game. Maybe if the next systems were out this year, then you port them to that, but the 360/PS3/Wii U? Ugh.

tomg126

Banned
Consoles need to stick to generic fps brown and bloom and xbawks kiddies. They've already hurt gaming enough this gen.

Rad-

This is one game I don't really like getting ported to consoles. I mean if it plays anything like GW1, I just don't see how they can make PVP work... With some builds you had to use a skill within 0.5 seconds or you messed up (for example, protection skills against spikes). How can you even choose that skill and target, let alone use it, in that time with a controller?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
MOD needs to close this. It was a mistranslation and misreading of it. THERE IS NO CONSOLE. HE WAS REFERRING TO THE PC VERSION.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
GW2 so easy that even consolers can play it.

GW1 strikes me as something easy to play, but more difficult to master. Granted, I don't have a lot of experience with it, I've never played any PvP.

This announcement makes me a little excited, but only if my current PC won't run Guild Wars 2 (my processor sucks). Even with that said, I'm having trouble imagining this game working on a controller.

Consoles need to stick to generic fps brown and bloom and xbawks kiddies. They've already hurt gaming enough this gen.

330642_o.gif

Don't play with my emotions, NCsoft. You said there was going to be a PS3 version of Blade and Soul, but now you is all like, "that contract be old, shawty."

This is one game I don't really like getting ported to consoles. I mean if it plays anything like GW1, I just don't see how they can make PVP work... With some builds you had to use a skill within 0.5 seconds or you messed up (for example, protection skills against spikes). How can you even choose that skill and target, let alone use it, in that time with a controller?

I agree - but the playing field would be "level" I suppose. I don't imagine both playerbases would play with one another.

Emitan

Port it to Wii U A-Net you know it makes sense.

Better hardware than the 360 and PS3, a standard controller but with a touch screen meaning they can make a better interface, a more open online system that's open to MMOs and microtransations? They'd be crazy not to put it on Wii U unless the thing bombs.

Aru

Didn't Sony sign a deal with NCSoft a few years ago to have exclusivity on their games or something (for consoles) ?

Emitan

I agree. I hate all the improvements that were made to Steam that were inspired by or copied from Xbox Live features. I totally hate all the cool exclusive games consoles have. It's terrible for people to have a choice of what platform they want a game on.

If there's another console generation I fear gaming might die forever.

Kalnos

Banned
so instead of keyboard turners, clicking, and backpeddling.... we get analog sticks and button pressers, aw shit.

Chemo

I would definitely buy a PS3 version of this because I simply do not game on my PC, but my friends do...

nataku

I agree - but the playing field would be "level" I suppose. I don't imagine both playerbases would play with one another.

I hope they do. I really don't want the GW2 community split among 2-3 systems. Such a pain in the ass.

If they ever do release a console version they need to skip the PS3 and 360. Aim for the next gen of systems. I don't want FFXI all over again, where the PS3 or 360 limit what Arenanet can do with the game 5 years down the road.

kayos90

I still don't buy this. Until I hear an official release announcement, I'm going to assume that they're just doing this for the possibility that if everything works, they'll release it for consoles.

Rootbeer

Banned
How could they not want it on consoles... the potential for extra sales is incredible. That said, I will only be buying it on PC. I know it will look better, run better, and have the greatest potential overall (via mods, guilds, what-have-you). I'm sure it will look gorgeous on my GTX570 OC ED. Have fun playing it on a 360, which is only about 10x less powerful, no worries!

Vano

Lets post it here for the people that doesn't click links :V

Martin Kerstein said:
I think "stay calm, don't panic" will become my new mantra.

We stated multiple times in public that we have a small team working on a console version, but that we are fully dedicated to make the most kickass game for PC (I think the official statement did not use the word kickass, in case someone wants to semantically disect my post ).

kayos90

How could they not want it on consoles... the potential for extra sales is incredible. That said, I will only be buying it on PC. I know it will look better, run better, and have the greatest potential overall (via mods, guilds, what-have-you). I'm sure it will look gorgeous on my GTX570 OC ED. Have fun playing it on a 360, which is only about 10x less powerful, no worries!

As much as Anet cares about money, Anet is very similar to Bungie in that it's about the community. I think as big as the install base for the two consoles are, it'll be very disconnected and the quality won't be up to the PC version. Anet is about delivering quality and if it's not there, they'll just scrap it. I won't be surprised if this is just an experiment to see if it'll work.

Negaiido

To be honest I do think that it's too late for a MMO for the consoles. What happens when GW2 gets updates ?
The PC has a longer lifespan then the current consoles so GW2 would die on the consoles after PS4/Xbox720 are released.

Rpgmonkey

Eh, do whatever works and brings in money to help support the game.

This is one of the games where a console version is of no concern to me regardless of whether it comes out or not or ends up being crap, but I'm all for it if it means they can maintain a consistent level of support and content.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Holy shit, was Guild Wars 2 announced to have a console version before? Or is this the first time they have said there will be a console version?

They have mentioned they have a small team on it before.

The same is true of Blade & Soul.

It's worth noting that the game runs on GPUs that don't exist anymore though, so at least from a technical perspective this shouldn't be an issue.

nataku

I'd be more concerned with RAM issues of current gen consoles, especially 5 years down the line.

If it's on PS4 or the next Xbox if MS allows it I'll have no issues with a console version.

Sentenza

They are SO going to postpone and then ditch completely the console version of this game (unless they don't manage somehow to release it to the next generation of platforms, directly).

Complistic

does this mean they'll be competing in WvWvW?

I could totally see the PC servers combining forces to wipe them out lolz

Top Bottom