• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... about the Welcome Park thing...

I'm horrible at those slide puzzles. I got all the trophies except for those. Do you guys have any tips? :(

16by16.png

Use that picture. Line it up with the grid. This was taken from here: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/welcome-park/146511-welcome-park-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

IllumiNate

Lumines where have you been all my life? Wow this game is so engaging, I just get absorbed to the ambiance, It's mezmorizing really. I never got to play any of the psp ones but my friends all raved about it. DAT MUZIK!!!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
BigNastyCurve said:
You can't get any more "mass market" than iOS and Android.
I don't know if you ever used Android - but I would hardly call that mass market - unless mass-market is crazy about clunky,cumbersome and unintuitive.
You can debate aesthetic appeal sucks on Vita, but it's a hell of a lot more user-friendly than Android.

Mik2121

Yeah I got my own grid with numbers that I just did in Pages. The thing is, I'm still horrible even with it, lol. I will give it a try, hold on...

I don't know if you ever used Android - but I would hardly call that mass market - unless mass-market is crazy about clunky,cumbersome and unintuitive.
You can debate aesthetic appeal sucks on Vita, but it's a hell of a lot more user-friendly than Android.

is it that bad?? i honestly have no experience with it. im old, so my android/iOS xp is nil...i have a god damned landline and im happy with it...but been looking into a smartphone and was under the assumption android the way to go.

get off my lawn!!

Ken

Done with Shinobido 2's "story line" after 4 hours and 4 minutes. Can't recommend this game to anyone at $39.99. Getting the platinum seems like a terrible grind because you'll need a minimum of 4 playthroughs as the difficulty trophies do not stack. Wrote a brief summary of my thoughts below, but basically:

Buy this game if you must have a stealth-focused ninja game to play at Vita launch. If not, don't buy this at $39.99.

First off, the graphics in this game are quite poor compared to the other Vita launch titles; this isn't the game you pick up to show off your Vita. Environments are boring, nothing really makes you go "wow," and the majority of character models are quite ugly. Framerate also seems to be a problem, which is weird since the game doesn't even look very good. Too many things on the map make the game slow to a crawl, and certain maps feel like they have a consistent drop in FPS.

The game seems focused around assassinating enemies rather than fighting them in direct combat. An "eye" system tells you which enemies are in range and their status; suspicious, alert, and chasing. You can return them to neutral just by breaking line of sight and waiting a few seconds, even on boss characters. The game seems to dissuade direct combat; your most effective tool is a counter-attack ability, but that its efficiency is reduced about 2/3rds into the game when enemies attack much faster and can survive more than one counter-attack. These enemies usually have high health, high damage, and often have allies around them so assassination is always the preferred route. Oddly enough, at times the game seems to dissuade you from using assassinations too.

An example would be the Guard quests, where you're tasked to protect an ally, who comes with quite a few other allied soldiers. The friendly AI likes to chase enemies falling off of cliffs which leads to them getting ambushed by enemy ninjas. Also, no health bars means you have to rely on the arbitrary "Your Ally is in need of help!" message that appears way too late. The worst though, is that your allies can break your assassination animations. You can be in the middle of an assassination, and an ally can come by and whack them (and you) out of it. That, plus the ridiculous knockback from your allies makes killing guys really frustrating.

The game is also very repetitive. The story appears to advance after a certain number of days has passed. Each day is passed by completing a mission. Missions range from assassinating a single target, to protecting a cart from attackers. The further away it gets from the objective of "kill everyone," the more frustrating the missions become. The story missions aren't much better, which usually have the main goal of assassinating a boss who you must engage in direct combat.

Sense of progression is weird. In the game, leveling up gets you points with which you use to level up a limited number of your character's attributes: stamina, offense, defense) and also your grappling hook length as well as the level of your zankoku, which is your special ability to instantly kill any enemies in range. The gain I received from investing points into different areas never became apparent, so after awhile I didn't care much for leveling up. On the other hand, there's a definite sense of progression over time as you get better at the game. Whereas a mission you took in your first hour took 10 minutes to complete, finishing the same type of mission on the same map 3 hours into the game in 2 minutes feels pretty rewarding, which is nice since the game itself hardly rewards you for SSing missions.

Once you've completed the game, you'll be able to play through it again on a different difficulty with all of your stats carried over from the previous save. You're also rewarded with the ability to use different character models of things like NPCs and story characters. It's neat but not really enough to start up a new game, at least not right now. Regardless, you can play as a bear so that's cool.

JWong

Banned

So how would you compare it to iOS? Since Android and iOS are pretty much the same except Android has awesome widgets.

Mik2121

Alright... I just can't seem to be able to do this, lol. If only there were some program that could do this for me :(

My puzzle looks like this (the original has all the numbers arranged in order from left to right, top to bottom, like the image HispanicGuy posted above):

7 8 9 2
4 14 12 13
3 5 __ 11
1 10 15 6

I'm soooo baaaaaad....

Durante

Android and iOS are really quite different. Personally, I like Android far more (being able to use my own home screen app helps), but I can see how someone could think that it's harder to use.

B.O.O.M

You can't please everyone and I think sony got the most important thing about the UI (at least from what I have seen and heard so far) right

From launch the UI is, with some hiccups here and there, have been fast and responsive. Aesthetic appeal can be added later on with time but for a launch that is not what's most important imho

So how would you compare it to iOS? Since Android and iOS are pretty much the same except Android has awesome widgets.
I would love me some no holds barred gaf input on this for purchasing and masturbation reasons.
I was under the impression iOS was for the whatever crew...as long as it does the basics well, and i look cool, but android was for the guys that want the open OS with the ability to go the extra yard to get the extra yard

JWong

Banned
Android and iOS are really quite different. Personally, I like Android far more (being able to use my own home screen app helps), but I can see how someone could think that it's harder to use.

Really? I thought they both use the same stupid square browser in the beginning.

Then Android let's you customize the umm home screen or whatever it's called.

Done with Shinobido 2's "story line" after 4 hours and 4 minutes. Can't recommend this game to anyone at $39.99. Getting the platinum seems like a terrible grind because you'll need a minimum of 4 playthroughs as the difficulty trophies do not stack. Wrote a brief summary of my thoughts below, but basically:

Buy this game if you must have a stealth-focused ninja game to play at Vita launch. If not, don't buy this at $39.99.

Thanks for the review Ken. You just saved me the trouble. Will probably get once it hits bargain.

hitmon

Yeah I got my own grid with numbers that I just did in Pages. The thing is, I'm still horrible even with it, lol. I will give it a try, hold on...

I still have trouble too. Sometimes the blocks stick together. Sometimes you can rotate them off screen and back on the other side and sometimes you can't. It throws me off.

Ken

I still have trouble too. Sometimes the blocks stick together. Sometimes you can rotate them off screen and back on the other side and sometimes you can't. It throws me off.

You can do that when the um...borders of that part light up differently. It's been awhile since I've played the puzzle game but it does tell you when you can throw blocks to the other side, and when it alternates from the horizontal to vertical.

Chorazin

Alright... I just can't seem to be able to do this, lol. If only there were some program that could do this for me :(

My puzzle looks like this (the original has all the numbers arranged in order from left to right, top to bottom, like the image HispanicGuy posted above):

7 8 9 2
4 14 12 13
3 5 __ 11
1 10 15 6

I'm soooo baaaaaad....

I'm terrible at them too but I did it, so just man up and keep sliding until you get it!

JWong

Banned

When the edge of the puzzle gets wavy, it let's you move blocks past the edge to the other side.

It alternates from horizontal to vertical.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is Hot Shots Tennis playable yet? I know the demo isn't, but no psp demos seem to be.

Mik2121

Yeah, the borders wave around when you are able to slide through that side. What pisses me off is accidentally sliding a row or column and then having the wall go back to solid so I can't get it back to what I wanted :(

I'm terrible at them too but I did it, so just man up and keep sliding until you get it!

Okay :(

So I just noticed that blotchy screen thing some you guys were reporting on the OLED. I was playing Uncharted demo last night in bed, in the dark, and when the loading screen came on I saw these splashy blotches on the black screen. This is normal right?

Ken

So I just noticed that blotchy screen thing some you guys were reporting on the OLED. I was playing Uncharted demo last night in bed, in the dark, and when the loading screen came on I saw these splashy blotches on the black screen. This is normal right?

Yes.

hitmon

You can do that when the um...borders of that part light up differently. It's been awhile since I've played the puzzle game but it does tell you when you can throw blocks to the other side, and when it alternates from the horizontal to vertical.

When the edge of the puzzle gets wavy, it let's you move blocks past the edge to the other side.

It alternates from horizontal to vertical.

Thanks guys, I knew there was some kind of tell, just wasn't exactly sure what was going on. It alternating between vertical and horizontal makes sense now.

second yes...This isnt normal it should be expected.

Durante

Sony no longer wants my money :(
Whenever I try to buy Half Minute Hero on PSN I get an error.

Really? I thought they both use the same stupid square browser in the beginning.

Then Android let's you customize the umm home screen or whatever it's called.
On android, almost everything can be customized and/or replaced with external modules, including stuff people would traditionally think of as part of "the OS", like the launcher or the lock screen. Eg. I use Zeam launcher on all my android devices instead of whatever the manufacturer cooked up.

I figured as much since I saw you guys chatting about it earlier, but damn was it a little shocking to see it in person.

lol it is ROUGH during them loading screens .I play like a hermit. under blankets in complete darkness more then 80% the time....i get them blotches everytime! but as soon as the live screen shows im like.....oh yeah...all is good in the world

Sony no longer wants my money :(
Whenever I try to buy Half Minute Hero on PSN I get an error.

On android, almost everything can be customized and/or replaced with external modules, including stuff people would traditionally think of as part of "the OS", like the launcher or the lock screen. Eg. I use Zeam launcher on all my android devices instead of whatever the manufacturer cooked up.

http://www.gamestop.com/psp/games/half-minute-hero-dlc/75585 buy here. get the code i think instantly?

EDIT: nevermind. it's $14.99 here loll

SRTtoZ

Just got done trying to perfect the first 4 stages of Rayman...My mind is BLOWN. How did I not notice this game on consoles??

- J - D -

Appreciate the review! Still interested, since I loved the Tenchu games, though perhaps I'm merely remembering those games fondly through rose tinted glasses at this point.

I'll wait until this drops to $20 or less.

Eusis

no physical manuals
I'm still hoping some emerge with... well, SOMETHING in the case that's nice to look at. But yeah, UMvC3 didn't even have a manual in the Japanese release, it was the first sign the Vita games may not come with manuals (other Japanese games had manuals or at least sheets, but it seems none carried over to the US.)

hitmon

I'm still hoping some emerge with... well, SOMETHING in the case that's nice to look at. But yeah, UMvC3 didn't even have a manual in the Japanese release, it was the first sign the Vita games may not come with manuals (other Japanese games had manuals or at least sheets, but it seems none carried over to the US.)

I'm with you, I miss the physical manuals.

Are you honestly saying the Android UI is clunky? I guess I don't know what to say to that.

My main problem with the Vita UI is the ugly ass floating, jaggy buttons. Fix that and 80% of my problems are solved. The OS itself seems quite capable.

Zafir

random question: does Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 come with a manual? Better yet, do any of the physical copies of vita games have them?
My copy of Virtua Tennis 4 has what you could call a manual. It's very short though, it pretty much only contains explainations for the game modes and the controls.

sun-drop

can you use psn video chat to a ps3 on vita?

i can't find it ... and it seems to be disabled via remote play ...well ..the ps3 doesn't detect the vita as a camera source.

PlayTv works really well though ...live tv on that oled looks great, uploading a vid soon.

JWong

Banned

That's widgets, right?

It's the thing I said I like?

Yep, Android is the best.

Ken

Appreciate the review! Still interested, since I loved the Tenchu games, though perhaps I'm merely remembering those games fondly through rose tinted glasses at this point.

I'll wait until this drops to $20 or less.

I've never played Tenchu before, so I can't offer any comparisons to it, sorry.

sun-drop

yeh noticed that last night too, not a bit deal, but a curious one....can't say i've noticed that on my galaxy s2 ...... does any one have one of those 7 inch oled galaxy tabs?

Durante

Perhaps Sony thinks I already spent too much on this launch and is trying to help me? I never thought I'd be this annoyed at not being able to spend money.

That's widgets, right?.
No. A widget is something you put on the homescreen(s) provided by your launcher. I'm talking about replacing the entire launcher.

Cloudy

Banned
Definitely installed Wipeout online pass. Still can't get into the Multiplayer Campaign section. It dumps me back to the main menu.

Warning! Deleting an App icon not only removes the game, and any patches. It also deletes your save as well. Don't make my mistake.

Managing data is by far the weakest element of Vita's OS. It's awful. Save data, application data, and transferring files to/from a PC all need a lot of work.

Interestingly enough, that doesn't apply to PSP titles. You have to manually delete their saves. They need to do the same for Vita ASAP..

Perhaps Sony thinks I already spent too much on this launch and is trying to help me? I never thought I'd be this annoyed at not being able to spend money.

What error does it give you?

Also, what happened to that game Smart As
s
? Wasn't that supposed to be a launch game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom