• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the possibilities surrounding clans has me sooooooo excited.

Has clan functionality been confirmed? That would be sweet!

Generally, I hope that 343 retains those features that made Halo special among its console peers, especially the Active Roster. It's such a simple yet extremely comfortable thing and it makes navigating the online experience so much nicer.

I'm kinda disappointed that we didn't get a full-blown trailer though... But that doesn't change the fact that I'm really confident with what those guys are doing. I mean, the BR is back!

MrBig

I think Halo 4 will be a split disk game just for the fact MP has its own story and maps seem to not take place in SP, speaking of SP did anyone get the feeling that it looks more open (like Metroid Prime open)

Regardless of the story, I want to see two discs just because it allows for so much more content,

Tell me Wraparound isn't the sexiest map you've seen. I couldn't get over the art style for that map when David did a flythrough of it.

Im glad to hear that it holds up, I was worried that it may look nice now but be a bit bland in person. It does look really awesome, man I hope they post the map flythrough's or at least some direct feed MP screenshots.

Any bits on info you picked up on that we may not have seen in the video we saw?

heckfu

Banned
HALO 4 DANCE BY SAI

saidance.gif

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
how was spartan visibility on that map? looks incredible, but i must admit, i'm a little afraid of players hiding in the brightest regions...

Visibility is great. The film grain from Reach is completely gone and colors have a very solid look to them the way they did in Halo 3. Crisp, clear, clean.

I think that's one of the only ways that something like that could be implemented...but the thing is, and it's why everybody is up in arms over the idea, those fights around key areas already happen in Halo games when power weapons or powerups are smartly placed. The difference is that a good player will know when to re-rush the areas for a respawn and a bad player won't. Then the bad player is at a disadvantage, and all is right in the world because he deserves to lose until he learns or outplays the guy with the rockets. A random spawn that tells everybody both where and when a weapon is going to be back just reduces the level of depth by one layer.

(I don't mean to imply that you don't know this, but I felt like I should vocalize and expand on where the trepidation folks have about this idea stems from.)

I didn't take offense, and I agree. I would far prefer consistent weapon spawns, I was just considering a way this could work if 343 are dead-set on it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If possible could we get properly confirmed details or at the very least denial of the misinformation floating around via the next bulletin?

i wanna know why you'd have to mark the shotgun with a hud element

EDIT: lol at gif

Homeboyd

I'd love to get an avatar of one of those multiplayer spartans with the new helmet/mask looking thing...

Don't know if there is a clear pic of it anywhere or not.

Which reminds me why I'm little disappointed with the stuff shown today. Not the content that was shown, but just that so little was shown. Look at all the weapons, abilities, features/gametypes were shown in that Reach trailer.
Agreed, I was hoping for a bit more in terms of actual footage and screens. Lets hope we will start to get a steady feed on info from here on out.

I’m in a paradoxical position right now. I LOVE what I have seen and I’m hyped. The game looks brilliant. Or it looks brilliant too me and that is all what matters. I’m much more hyped than I was for Reach at this point. But there is a fear. I fear the “perk system”. We haven’t gotten any real information about it. So I won’t really comment. Still Reach has left an unpleasant taste in my brain/mouth/whatever when I hear words like customization or loadouts in combination with MP. But if 343i is saying I don’t have to fear anything, I won’t. Overall the MP looks like a lot of fun. The maps look impressive (especially the Forerunner one). I don’t have to say much about BR, just it sounds amazing and I hope it plays like its sound.

I love 343i’s approach to not reveal the game with campaign footage or not telling us the threat. And I love Frankie’s small teases. MP is integrated in the canon? Hell yeah. The Forerunner map gets lighted by artificial sun? Oh god. Wait? ARTIFICIAL? OMG IS IT ONYX? At this part my brain freaked out. But not. Frankie continued to damage my brain. The ancient threat is something that the Chief never faced before? So it can’t be the flood? OH. CRAP. CRAP. Nothing to say anymore, just this:
JhrTj.gif

Thx plywood for the gif.

That sums up my thoughts on a lot of what was shown so far, man I really can't wait to see what else they have cooking.

:lol at your .gif, not too many people can use a .gif of themselves that is from official Halo material!

They never said random weapon placements, all I read was random weapon timers.

Regardless, I like the power weapons on the HUD thing. Great addition in Gears of War 3 for fans of all skill levels.

Reason Blue vs red are fighting.
red = Oni = Cerberus(ME) Human first movement branches off UNSC.
Blue = UNSC = Shepard(ME) Just want to survive this evil and if that means help from aliens oke.

And Blue vs Red are fighting for control over shield world map sections and controlling some sections(shattered Galaxy or Hybrid concept??) will give you're team a slight advantage maybe those are the perks ?

/Maybe im crazy and looking to much shit behind it and just want a multiplayer meta campaign or something.

Homeboyd

Nobody at 343, at any time said anything about random weapon placements.
I think the article mentioned that the timers wouldn't (or had the ability to not) be at set intervals... I think the locations thing was just something Gaf came up with on it's own.

People started to argue what the benefit of controlling power weapon spawn "areas" if they could respawn at random times during the match.

You were probably denying both rumors, but the location thing wasn't ever reported anywhere to my knowledge.

GhaleonEB

I’m in a paradoxical position right now. I LOVE what I have seen and I’m hyped. The game looks brilliant. Or it looks brilliant too me and that is all what matters. I’m much more hyped than I was for Reach at this point. But there is a fear. I fear the “perk system”. We haven’t gotten any real information about it. So I won’t really comment. Still Reach has left an unpleasant taste in my brain/mouth/whatever when I hear words like customization or loadouts in combination with MP. But if 343i is saying I don’t have to fear anything, I won’t. Overall the MP looks like a lot of fun. The maps look impressive (especially the Forerunner one). I don’t have to say much about BR, just it sounds amazing and I hope it plays like its sound.
Agree. I'm knee-deep in audit prep and so don't have time to put together a longer post, but my chief concern is with the implementation. Armor abilities and load outs added a huge amount of complexity to the number of variables that need to be adjusted and managed to balance a map/game type. When you toss in custom load outs, perks and armor abilities (assuming they're in), things get multiplied even more.

That's tough to manage from a balance perspective, but even more so from a playlist management point of view. It was too much in Reach, and the playlists were not managed at a sufficient level of detail. I hope the tools to perform playlist maintainance are not as limited as they are now, given how long it takes for adjustments to roll through.

Shorter Ghaleon: I love what we've seen so far. I'm nervous about what we haven't seen. Nothing too shocking, I suppose.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Agree. I'm knee-deep in audit prep and so don't have time to put together a longer post, but my chief concern is with the implementation. Armor abilities and load outs added a huge amount of complexity to the number of variables that need to be adjusted and managed to balance a map/game type. When you toss in custom load outs, perks and armor abilities (assuming they're in), things get multiplied even more.

That's tough to manage from a balance perspective, but even more so from a playlist management point of view. It was too much in Reach, and the playlists were not managed at a sufficient level of detail. I hope the tools to perform playlist maintainance are not as limited as they are now, given how long it takes for adjustments to roll through.

Shorter Ghaleon: I love what we've seen so far. I'm nervous about what we haven't seen. Nothing too shocking, I suppose.

is there reason to believe they are back?

i think the talk of "perks" and the lack of a visible power gauge for sprint points to them being excluded this time out.

Forum debates are going to get incredibly complicated. No more simple AR vs BR!

Battle Rifle + ACOG scope + Stopping Power

vs

Assault Rifle + Foregrip + Last Stand

-------
I'll never hit Inheritor in Reach. What am I going to do when Halo 4 has Prestige Mode?

trollface.jpg

Can't wait to learn more.

The thing that bothers me about your reply here Dax is one I see many many times about Halo. The people that truly love Halo don't ever want to see Halo evolve with the times. Does it need to be like MW3? No, of course, not. It needs to be Halo, but it also needs to be a 2012 first person shooter, not a 2001, or 2004 shooter with a new coat of paint.

Sprint for everyone (if that's how it works) is something I have wanted since 2, because casually walking around a map seems slow and unbecoming of a Spartan.

The perks, well it's just too early to tell because we literally know nothing of them.

I just want to see Halo take some of the good things the FPS genre has created since 2001 and implement them while keeping to the Halo structure. It seems all the negative opinions I usually read on Halo are summarized as "we want Halo 1 HD or Halo 2 HD, not anything new."

More a view overall, and not specifically on what you said, but what you noted brought it to mind.
With all due respect, I think you missed the point of that entire section. I'm not averse to change. I embraced Halo 3's equipment, (on the campaign side, ODST's hubworld) and I was willing to embrace Reach's bloom and AAs and loadouts (look at my post history) until I played it and saw how detrimental the changes were. Halo 3's equipment worked, or worked better than Reach's AAs, because it was worked into Halo's design philosophy – something to fight over. Everyone still started on equal footing, and if you could get to the equipment and survived, you were rewarded. (This is setting aside implementation debate).

Let's talk about Sprint. I've seen this .gif posted countless times but I've yet to see anyone say anything about what's actually happening in it. One of my dislikes for Sprint is that you can charge at someone and beat them down before they have time to react, or before they have enough time to your shields down. This ends in either the Sprinter winning, or a simultaneous beatdown (which a lot of people in HaloGAF loathe). Now, you're probably asking, "Okay, but if everyone has sprint, the player can just turn around and sprint away before a situation like that happens." To which I say, look at the .gif again. Situations like that will not be rare. The red Spartan didn't have time to react, he didn't have time to turn around, and because the blue Spartan got off the first melee, he'll likely win. All of that is not even asking what happens with a Sprinter and a close-range power weapon. I can't be the only one on this board who gets frustrated in getting killed by a Sprinter with a sword or a shotgun. I used it to great abuse the other day on Reflection.

Now, if we're talking about Sprint as a power weapon to fight over? It would work a lot better that way, I think. Or if it must be a default ability, there are other ways to balance it out. If a player gets shot, make the him stop sprinting, or have the player wait a full second or two when coming out a sprint for certain weapons, or don't allow them to switch weapons while sprinting. Unless/until changes like this are announced, I'll continue to worry and dislike the implementation of the idea.

The idea of "casually walking" isn't something that happens if the base speed is fast enough, and you have assistants like teleporters or mancannons to help with player movement. With all of that, Sprint seems a little superfluous, and comes off as Halo playing catch up, when it was really going around the idea the entire time beforehand.

And that's not even touching what effects Sprint has on campaign.

Look, any changes or anything new introduced will always cause a good deal of skepticism and worry for how they'll play out. With stuff like Sprint and a more evolved form of "loadouts" (from what we've been hearing), I'm drawing upon my experience with Reach as well as baggage that comes with introducing something new. I must admit that at the same time I worry about being, or appearing, unfair, so hopefully I've explained myself well enough.

J-Roderton

Does anyone else think the Spartan IV's look a little too much like power rangers? Something about the helmet...

I'm not really digging the helmet in these pics, but of course we will have the chance to change it. Rest of it seems pretty legit.

About that whole Sprint post, I think Sprint works but if the movement speed is up in 4, I honestly would see no use for it. The gif posted earlier seems way fast.

Karl2177

Incumbent works fine.

And what does any of that have to do with respawn timers?

You don't know what your next opponent is going to have. If the gameplay isn't opposing your ability to counter anything, then you actually feel a sense of reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom