• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
So the Gamereactor interview mentions that 343i primarily showed multiplayer footage for the event. Can we expect some more gameplay footage before the week is out? Or are the little snippets of gameplay all we're going to see for a while?

Homeboyd

Oh yeah of course, but im not going to pass up the opportunity to refer to myself in third person! :p

Im personally more anxious for Halo 4 news today than I was yesterday. We see Halo 4, but we dont really see Halo 4. I want to know more about the gameplay mechanics damn it! :p
I wonder how long until the next bit of meaty info. I imagine the weekly bulletin will be a recap of everything talked about today.

Really? Because actually interesting and popular competitive games such as DOTA (damage ranges, abilities) and Starcraft 2 (burrow speed, creep crawl) have randomized elements and damage ranges. And watching people scramble to adapt to a situation like a sniper spawn makes for a much better (and understandable) spectator element than coach timers.

So there's one no argument.

The things you mention in starcraft 2 have nearly no impact, the game would be better without them, aren't nearly as big of an issue as random weapon spawns would be in halo, and aren't even similar situations.

-Did you see the BR zoomed in? If so, how did it look?

I don't remember. But I did get to glance though the scope unzoomed in and it's not placeholder bullshit, you can actually see the map through the thing.

-Visually, does Wraparound stand out more than the usual Forerunner map? (Texture detail, environment effects, etc)

Visually the Forerunner map is amazing. The lighting effects on that map are so ambient and like a Cathedral I was pretty blown away on first seeing it.

-Do you know if Assassinations are in or out?

Dunno.

-Did you see grenades in action?

Can't recall. Mostly saw dudes running around with BRs firing upon each other.

-How did the game look visually in your opinion compared to past titles?

Keep in mind I play on a shit ass SD so I'm not seeing the games optimally most of the time but from what I saw and was told it seems everything has been reworked or redone from the ground up and it shows. The lighting effects I was shown and the minute detail on the spartan armor now, I was just like "wow."

The multiplayer stuff was mostly in third person so I had no gauge as to how powerful things were.

Trey

I tend to agree with you that the randomization does add to the competitiveness. That's also coming from a non MLG player. As frank said earlier about reach playlists, Jazzy, I'm sure they will have their own say as weapon timing seems to be a huge cornerstone of professional play.

I disagree. Takes the control out of the players' hands.

Computron

Guys, what is the best image host for lossless Gifs?

I didn't see anyone mention the new pistol or attachment, so I made a .GIF:

Q9kXZ.gif

What is this new fangled device??

zap

I don't think anyone mentioned this, correct me if I am wrong...

r7ri7.png

That looks a hell of a lot like the leak and 'faked' screenshots we saw a while back, no?

darthbob

I don't think anyone mentioned this, correct me if I am wrong...

That looks a hell of a lot like the leak and 'faked' screenshots we saw a while back, no?

It looks like the "Wake up John" wallpaper that we're all so accustomed to complain at.

QXBCE.png

is

dUA8Y.png

Armor Abilities in Halo 4?

I think I'm just over-analyzing, but hey, it's something.

EDIT: And I really hope that it was already known that AA's are in 4 or not. I haven't been following much lately until yesterday and today.

From what I've read, it sounds like 343 is catering to both the Reach-style of gameplay and the Halo 2/3-style of gameplay. I'm assuming when you go to multiplayer, the hoppers will be divided between Loadout, Classic, (OMG revolutionary game mode) and Community (race playlists, Action Sack, Grifball, possibly MLG).
Given Reach's direction under 343, their philosophy is trying to please as many people as possible, so this is a likely set-up for Halo 4.

However, as we have seen from Reach, there are downsides to trying to please everyone. As I said earlier, having so many playlists makes it harder to pinpoint problems in each playlist, not to mention maps and gametypes. The more playlists you have, the more segregated everyone is, and the smaller the populations are for each playlist (unless you have a huge population like CoD). Will we have BTB Classic and BTB Loadout? Will we have BTB Classic Objective, BTB Classic Slayer, BTB Loadout Objective and BTB Loadout Slayer?

It's hard to criticize for something we know only vaguely about, but on the other hand, it's hard not to worry about it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The things you mention in starcraft 2 have nearly no impact, the game would be better without them, aren't nearly as big of an issue as random weapon spawns would be in halo, and aren't even similar situations.

well, what about random resource locations in games like star craft 2? would the game be more competitive if those locations were known by all players?

Karl2177

His key word there was spectator. I feel like both are viable options for competitive Halo. Watching a player adapt to a new situation that's completely unexpected is amazing. Watching 2 players duke it out over a control point like a known weapon spawn is also incredibly amazing.

Risen

Really? Because actually interesting and popular competitive games such as DOTA (damage ranges, abilities) and Starcraft 2 (burrow speed, creep crawl) have randomized elements and damage ranges. And watching people scramble to adapt to a situation like a sniper spawn makes for a much better (and understandable) spectator element than coach timers.

So there's one no argument.

Not directly comparable... in SC2 the random speed delay:

usually has minimal in-game consequences, but it does mean that when multiple of the same unit type attack a target together for an extended period of time, their attacks can drift apart from each other instead of being at exactly the same time

More comparable would be a randomized spawn in SC2 of an upgraded unit... guaranteed an SC2 player would be shit all pissed if they lost because of this.

The DOTA random range for certain skills is exactly wrong for competition. It means one can luck into a win or loss getting the wrong end of that range.

op_ivy

Visually the Forerunner map is amazing. The lighting effects on that map are so ambient and like a Cathedral I was pretty blown away on first seeing it.

wraparound struck me as a multiplayer map bungie would never do because of the over brightness to it and the possibility of hampering vision. did you find that to be the case, or were spartans always pretty clearly visible?

Given Reach's direction under 343, their philosophy is trying to please as many people as possible, so this is a likely set-up for Halo 4.

However, as we have seen from Reach, there are downsides to trying to please everyone. As I said earlier, having so many playlists makes it harder to pinpoint problems in each playlist, not to mention maps and gametypes. The more playlists you have, the more segregated everyone is, and the smaller the populations are for each playlist (unless you have a huge population like CoD). Will we have BTB Classic and BTB Loadout? Will we have BTB Classic Objective, BTB Classic Slayer, BTB Loadout Objective and BTB Loadout Slayer?

It's hard to criticize for something we know only vaguely about, but on the other hand, it's hard not to worry about it.

We know far too little about the game to accurately discuss this, but the idea of more fragmentation to an absurd level like what currently exists in Reach sounds awful to me. The game should be a single unified vision from 343 for better or worse.

assassinations are in
Is this confirmed?

I don't remember. But I did get to glance though the scope unzoomed in and it's not placeholder bullshit, you can actually see the map through the thing.

Dunno.

Can't recall. Mostly saw dudes running around with BRs firing upon each other.

Keep in mind I play on a shit ass SD so I'm not seeing the games optimally most of the time but from what I saw and was told it seems everything has been reworked or redone from the ground up and it shows. The lighting effects I was shown and the minute detail on the spartan armor now, I was just like "wow."

The multiplayer stuff was mostly in third person so I had no gauge as to how powerful things were.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I hope we can get some direct feed screens and maybe videos from the 2 MP maps.

Guys, what is the best image host for lossless Gifs?

I didn't see anyone mention the new pistol or attachment, so I made a .GIF:

Q9kXZ.gif

What is this new fangled device??
The Missile Pistol!

QXBCE.png

is

dUA8Y.png

Armor Abilities in Halo 4?

I think I'm just over-analyzing, but hey, it's something.

EDIT: And I really hope that it was already known that AA's are in 4 or not. I haven't been following much lately until yesterday and today.

Well, as they confirmed that Armor will effect gameplay I bet it is something of the sort. Also, I still wonder if that is a Plasma Pistol or something else on his hip.

I'm not basing this on any particular bit of news from today, but I really don't want 4 to be as fragmented as Reach has become. It's a real shame for the latter.

We know far too little about the game to accurately discuss this, but the idea of more fragmentation to an absurd level like what currently exists in Reach sounds awful to me. The game should be a single unified vision from 343 for better or worse.
I agree, but as you said, it's far too early to tell what direction they're going to go in. I was merely responding to Hitmonchan's theory of trying to please everyone.

forgive my ignorance, but arent resources in random locations in SC? not a fan and havent played the series in ages...

written in one of the write ups, something like "assassinations are back and badder then ever!"

Nope, it just depends on the map, but each map is always the same.

I know I've said it already but the random weapons really would be an issue.

Karl2177

It's not really adapting though, is it? The flow of the match just isn't orderly as the respawn timers aren't predictable. There's no extra element of strategy or skill involved.
That's the point of what I'm getting at. The best analogy I can give is one of Ghaleon's firefight vids. He adapted to the situation at hand(no teammates alive and a wave full of Elites, Brutes, and Grunts), and it was one of the most brilliant 5 minutes I've ever watched. Add PvP to that, and it can be amazing to watch.

but starts are random?

You start in one of two positions, and your opponent spawns at the other. That's the only random part of it.

Holy shit that trailer hyped me up.

The level of detail on everything, even in multiplayer is insane. Those Spartan 4s look SICK!

I would be in the greatest of debt to anybody that can whip me up an Avatar of the Spartan 4 face-shot at 2:53. :D

op_ivy

It's not really adapting though, is it? The flow of the match just isn't orderly as the respawn timers aren't predictable. There's no extra element of strategy or skill involved.

sure there is, constant map movement would be encouraged and/or pinning down another team to one area. both would add their own strategies and skills.

You start in one of two positions, and your opponent spawns at the other. That's the only random part of it.

thanks for clarifying. i had remembered that scouting out an area to find resources being a key part of the multiplayer, but i must be remembering it wrong, or the game has changed since SC1 (doesnt matter which).

Just a quick thought: "perks" like being able to hold an extra grenade may be something that could be done without too much fuss.

Not sure how I feel about that. I mean, the default could be two grenades, then three, then four. I think I'd be okay with this because it isn't like Halo hasn't been able to handle someone holding eight grenades, but on the other hand, it goes against that "everyone starting on equal footing" philosophy.

Maybe one of the perk things.

At least i hope they dont change Weapon Damage,Shield and Weapon speed etc.
Just stuff like run speed or extra jump high. Or more nade carrying.

I wouldnt be a fan of movement modifiers but the ability to hold more nades would be less impactful on gameplay. It would still go against the feel of being on an even footing, but it wouldnt be as bad as actually making certain people stronger or whatever.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I honestly try not to be dismissive of arguments, but this is wrong.

Focus on the DOTA element: randomized skill damage ranges, randomized rune spawns, randomized item procs. And people love watching it. There's a lot of money around it.

Halo? Well, the meat of it is some extraeneous element that is difficult to keep tabs on and not very interesting. There's a reason why timer games like Quake have been eclipsed, despite the complete focus on skill and lack of random elements. Competitive gaming is as much about skill as it is it's ability to be entertaining for spectators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom