• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranmafan

I didn't know who this guy was before, but now I don't think I would be interested in knowing about him or his game with a comment like that. That comment sounded really rude for the occasion, and sad too as I agree with those that it shows a real lack of knowledge of all Japanese gaming these days. Oh well in the end, it's his loss.

I consider his title to be amazing from just videos alone and the irony is that at first glance I would think his title is made in Japan. It's telling that I still consider the most unique and innovative titles to come from Japan.

blackflag

F this dude, I was anticipating this game from all the hype for it I've heard on several podcasts. Not buying this game ever. srs

noire

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with him, even if it's a sweeping generalization that there are exceptions to. Could he have sugar-coated it? Sure.

EVIL

It's not like he's one to talk considering how long it took him to make a digital game

This is one of the most moronic things I have heard lol,

Developing games (whatever shape or form) takes time, especially if you have to develop your tech from the ground up and have a creative vision in terms of visuals and game-play that's different! deal with it!

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Outside that this is douchy comment, isn't this kinda a stupid thing to say when you have a game comming out. With the game going to be reviewed and all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
cavestory.gif
fez610.jpg

I see enough visual similarities to call Fish on his shit. Also took five years to make, but without MS publishing money and so forth, just one dude in his spare time.

Sentenza

Shockingly poor form. Everyone's entitled to their opinions but there's a time and a place. The time isn't before your realeasing your own game and the place certainly isn't in front of some poor Japanese dev's face a GDC.
Let's be clear: I don't have any problem with him not liking japanese games.
I love a very contained number of those myself, and beside that he's entitled to his opinion.

I just can't stand how rude he's been with the Japanese guy talking to him.
That's unacceptable.

Kyon

Banned
Hilarious. My opinion on this has actually been reverse since I started gaming. I always found Western Devs horrible at making games and Japanese Devs to be better(Just an opinion you don't have to take it seriously). These jabs at Japanese Devs are mostly from people who don't play Japanese games anyway and just look at the long dev times. Newsflash: Square isn't the only JP Devs in town.

krYlon

It's strange how an ignorant comment from a dev can have such an impact on whether I buy their game.

Before this, Fez was one of my most anticipated games of the year. Now I don't really care about it anymore.
I feel stupid for saying it because it does look good and that's all that matters... but it really has killed my interest...

DaBuddaDa

"Indie games designer who broke onto the scene with his unpublished platformer Fez."

That's all you need to know really. Quite a rude and arrogant dude.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Putting aside the validity of his message (which is entirely subjective), that was certainly mean-spirited and disrespectful.

This is pretty much where I weigh in. The validity of the message is ancillary. The fact that he said that to his face in front of a crowd is incredibly disrespectful.

He has every right to not like Japanese developed games, but some measure of tact would have been appreciated, especially when dealing with a culture built around respect and tactful communication.

Poor Japanese developer, surrounded by tons of foreign language speakers. He must have felt utterly embarrassed. To get that kind of blunt criticism when you're already in an unfamiliar environment. :\

Varth

While unpolite, I think the comment may end up being useful. If it brings forward a discussion on dev level (certainly gonna be more easily heard) about the way japanese industry is lagging behind creatively it's all the better.

I really feel bad for the guy who asked the question. It sounds like he was so polite and humble about the whole thing, only to be met with this.

jman2050

Jumping the gun a bit there, aren't we.

Whatever the actual argument behind his statement is, the circumstances behind him saying it was completely in poor taste. Dude needs to learn humility and fast.

Emitan

Thread is reminding me I can't buy Fez until I get a new ethernet cable. I think I still have a few more years before it's out though, so it's fine.

Aeana

what exactly is the problem with japanese games anyway? i missed that whole movement

Apparently their visuals frighten people.
You'll find that often whenever people go on tirades about how Japanese games suck, it isn't about gameplay. Because they wouldn't know - they won't actually approach a game to try it. This is common. Fish is just articulating an opinion that's held by many western gamers these days in a more visible place, in a more rude manner.

Scirrocco

Its funny, just seconds before clicking this thread, i had put down Castlevania lords of shadow, saying to myself "this game sucks".

Itagaki approves.

Seriously though, that was out of line, even if many people nowadays, including some Japanese developers, agree that Japan's modern gaming industry plays second fiddle to the west.

It's one thing to have that opinion but to go and say it to a Japanese guy that praised your game a few seconds prior is just cruel.

sublimit

Banned
Isn't he the same guy who spoke quite rude for the Japanese population in the aftermath of last year's earthquake?

I'd predict that on average, Japan is making worse games nowadays than they used to but to say their games suck is way too harsh of a statement to make. There are plenty of great japanese games out there at the moment if you want them. I guess this guy just doesn't want them.

cavestory.gif
fez610.jpg

I see enough visual similarities to call Fish on his shit. Also took five years to make, but without MS publishing money and so forth, just one dude in his spare time.

This guy sums it up well. Haven't heard of Fez before, and now he won't get my money going his way. A very good majority of games had Japanese inspiration, but like the others, being a public troll to someone asking a question to you is incredibly selfish and rude.

hatchx

Banned
:lol

Seriously though, they are far more advanced in technology, but seem to struggle with development. SCEJ and Nintendo both take ages to make games, and other Japanese based companies have been riding that Milk train for too long.

Capcom and their countless Street Fighters and RE remakes and ports. Konami with their countless MGS ports/remakes. Nintendo with their countless ports (how many OoTs have they released!?) The list goes on.

Yeah, it's not like the big publishers in North America are that vain.

coughMaddenCallofDutyGuitarHeroRockBandMortalKombatEveryEAsport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom