• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, the burns kind of write themselves here, huh?

Yeah it's not like this forum doesn't exist so that groups of people with zero published games who tell designers and publishers that they don't' know what they are doing on a regular basis.

Yeah, I think people are focusing a little too much on Phil's problems as a developer here and not enough on how regardless of your resume you shouldn't be a huge asshole

wait is Fez really not getting a PC port?

I am supremely confident that it will, and that like every other XBLA timed exclusive no one's allowed to talk about it until the exclusivity window is over; Phil just chose about the dumbest possible way to cover for that.

hm, let me just look at this small representation of japanese current generation games:
demons_souls_ps3_003.jpg

Dark-Souls.jpg

screenlg15.jpg

vanquish.jpg

4.jpg

p2yW9apFBtyhjPB1iVhPVcONGSeOGKdn.jpg

Sin-and-Punishment-Successor-of-the-Skies-Trailer.jpg

yap, they suck alright...

Seik

Banned
I think there's nothing more unprofessional, unethical and sad than saying other people's work 'sucks'. Its really douchy, fuck elitists like him.

He's not wrong.

For the most part.

More accurately, he could say 'Your game development processes SUUUUUUUUUUUCK."

This this this. The end products shouldn't be under anywhere near as much scrutiny as their development techniques should. Stuff like KojiPro failing to make a fucking game is a perfect sign of this (at least they know it too).

Phil isn't anyone yet though. I'll get Fez day one if I can, the game looks marvelous, but he hasn't proven himself. He can say it on a messageboard or in a tweet, whatever, that's just expressing his opinion, but to say it to a dev's face? Fuck that.

7threst

Speaking in generalities, Japanese game design is stagnant and the games themselves tend to take far too long in the oven.

There are exceptions, of course. FROM Software and Nintendo are two beacons of light over there.

Isn't it more that western development gained ground more instead of Japanese development lagging behind?

usea

cavestory.gif
fez610.jpg

I see enough visual similarities to call Fish on his shit. Also took five years to make, but without MS publishing money and so forth, just one dude in his spare time.
Fez isn't made by just 1 guy. Polytron has 3 people iirc (phil fish (artist/designer), renaud bedard who does pretty much all the programming, and vreeland who does audio).

Fez is certainly strongly inspired by Cave Story. It's the biggest influence among most indie game developers; it pretty much kickstarted the movement. Fish would definitely admit as much.

Apparently their visuals frighten people.
You'll find that often whenever people go on tirades about how Japanese games suck, it isn't about gameplay. Because they wouldn't know - they won't actually approach a game to try it. This is common. Fish is just articulating an opinion that's held by many western gamers these days in a more visible place, in a more rude manner.
I think this kind of generalization is just as bad as the one fish apparently made at gdc. Who is to say phil fish doesn't play tons of japanese games, and that his opinion stems from that kind of ignorance? (Not that you could tell one way or another from what he reportedly said). I'm not saying you're wrong, I just think you're using similar reasoning, making the same mistake he did.

eznark

Banned
Blow seems to be fairly full of himself, but I don't think I've read any interviews where he directly insults other people.

Blow is every bit as arrogant, but he is significantly more intelligent so his insults are generally between the lines. Fish seems to just be a bomb throwing idiot who has taken half a decade to mash up Mario and Crush.

Sentenza

It's ironic because while Phil Fish generalizes and insults Japanese developers as a whole, he himself is the most iconic example of the pompous, self-important "indie" jagoff developer that is held in such derision, maybe second only to Jonathan Blow, that in an of itself is a generalization of indie developers.
I actually have a lot of respect for Jonathan Blow's opinion.
Not just cause Braid was a goddamn jewel, but because he always argued about his ideas in a pretty thoughtful (and polite) way.

I never heard Blow pulling shit out of his ass or being plainly disrespectful. When he argues about design he knows what he's talking about.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speaking in generalities, Japanese game design is stagnant and the games themselves tend to take far too long in the oven.

There are exceptions, of course. FROM Software and Nintendo are two beacons of light over there.

Who besides Square Enix has excessive dev times? I don't know of any other Japanese studios that do this. Most Japanese studios don't even announce their games until they're almost done.

Japanese developers deserve some criticism for their performance this generation, but I don't think long dev time is one of them.

Adherence to platforms that western gamers have no interest in? Sure.
An interest in gameplay mechanics that western gamers have no interest in? Sure.
Using art styles unappealing to western audiences? Sure.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
He said in his tweets that Jonathan Blow agreed with him. Why am I not surprised.

As the article said, Jonathan Blow also offered criticism of current Japanese game design, but it was "constructive" i.e. not "you suck."

No need to spin this into support for disliking Blow, who has never been anything other than articulate in his opinions as far as I am aware.

salromano

Guy sounds like a class-A ass. Even reading his Twitter, he doesn't realize his statement generalizes the entire country's games output, rather than limit it to a few games he isn't fond of - which I take it is most likely the case.

At least tell the dev what you think is wrong with Japanese games. Rather than sound like an arrogant prick.

Ranger X

I wonder why people are getting worked up on Fish now.

It's his personality. He's always been direct and loud. It's not is first comment of the sort and you guys just don't worry, he will NOT give a fuck.

It's also part of why Fez took so long to make anyways (his extreme personality).

kenta

Has no PEINS
Phil is usually a little too harsh for my tastes but in this instance I agree full to the tippy-top. Can't think of the last piece of software or hardware from Japan I was really anxious to get hold of

I also think it's funny that people are criticizing him for taking so long to make a game when the Japanese companies he's criticizing take just as long, with hundred-men workforces, and still make terrible games

Crudely put and sounding a bit too generalized, but I agree with the sentiment if he's referring to how Japanese console games have lost the spotlight and a lot of their classic charms in the transition to directly compete with and be more influenced by Western counterparts who have come to dominate the industry. A lot of longtime gamers I know feel this way. This generation's Japanese developers have mostly failed to connect with me compared to every gen previous. There's just a distinct lack of the sort of games with a sort of charm I desire and sorta expect outta Japanese standbys and, with exception of some nice re-releases and a few original DD titles, they really haven't happened this gen on console at all. Now, if you're talking portables, well...not my thing until they start coming with video/HDMI out as standard.

DaBuddaDa

I actually have a lot of respect for Jonathan Blow's opinion.
Not just cause Braid was a goddamn jewel, but because he always argued about his ideas in a pretty thoughtful (and polite) way.

I never heard Blow pulling shit out of his ass or being plainly disrespectful. When he argues about design he knows what he's talking about.

I agree, but Blow has a certain reputation among the uneducated whether or not it's valid.

People need to focus more on the fact that he said this to some aspiring kid's face in the midst of a crowd of people. He didn't shoot his mouth off in an interview. He didn't post a dumb opinion on Twitter (intially, anyway). On the most base of fucking human levels, that shit is abhorrent and without excuse. Cut and dry. Fuck him.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Technically he said that Miyamoto sucks... just sayin'

survivor

Banned
This is why these indie developers either need to have common sense about professionalism or just stop spouting garbage.

Also I understand the guy could be criticizing Japanese game development process but looking at how long his game is taking, he really got no credibility on that subject.

that is to say that every western dev house is a beacon of light lol

lets not pretend western devs aren't putting out more bad than good just the same...

Empty

Fez is certainly strongly inspired by Cave Story. It's the biggest influence among most indie game developers; it pretty much kickstarted the movement. Fish would definitely admit as much.

and to be fair to fish, he did say 'modern japanese games' and cave story is like eight years old now

Suzzopher

Bernie Schulenburg has made a better game than Fez, you don't hear him bad mouthing an entire country's creative talent.

Riposte

The same old characters pop up in threads like this. Mainly posters you should ignore (probably generally, but at least on the topic of Japanese games).

Fur_Q

What a MASSIVE twat, could someone photoshop his face onto one of the Fez wearing christians in Indy 3 and have Indy smack him in the face.

Kyon

Banned
People need to focus more on the fact that he said this to some aspiring kid's face in the midst of a crowd of people. He didn't shoot his mouth off in an interview. He didn't post a dumb opinion on Twitter (intially, anyway). On the most base of fucking human levels, that shit is abhorrent and without excuse. Cut and dry. Fuck him.
Oh he did
iggling44q.gif

i-Lo

How is that different from what Western developers are doing? You've seen EA and Ubisoft and Activision's output this generation; you can't tell me they're not releasing rehashes and sequels. If anything, western publishers are way more likely to annualize their franchises.

Oh, I agree completely and I find it distasteful as well. Thing is that I am talking about Japan specifically which has such a rich history of games that makes people expect more inspiring products from them. My main complaint isn't sequels to be honest but rather the time some of devs take to make certain games. Best examples: FFXIII, FFvXIII, GT5, TLG etc. I'd say that this has been a problem ever since the adoption of HD graphics this gen. But to look on the bright side we got memorable games like: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bayonetta, Catherine, Lost Odyssey, MGS4 and so many more on PSP and 3DS.

As someone said before, it's a matter of visibility as well. There are too many average games coming out and over shadowing the good games. It's just like everywhere else really in that regard.

Kyou

that's what bothers me most. I love the Giant Bomb guys and they shit on Japanese games all the time, that isn't the problem.

But berating a dude and his country and his talent in front of an entire room of his peers and colleagues? For absolutely no reason out of the blue? Holy shit dude.

Emitan

Phil is usually a little too harsh for my tastes but in this instance I agree full to the tippy-top. Can't think of the last piece of software or hardware from Japan I was really anxious to get hold of

I also think it's funny that people are criticizing him for taking so long to make a game when the Japanese companies he's criticizing take just as long, with hundred-men workforces, and still make terrible games

Just because you're not interested in Japanese games doesn't mean they suck. I love platformers, but don't like Megaman. I don't go around saying they suck just because I don't like them.

Indeed. Not cool, man.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

So, S-E and SCEJ. That isn't an industry. That's two companies. And even with SCEJ, you're probably talking about Team ICO, which is a single team.

Blizzard takes forever to release games too. WESTERN DEVELOPMENT TAKES TOO LONG!

Exactly. Just imagine being the guy who got to come to GDC and is all excited about asking a question to this panel only to get this thrown back at him. It's unprofessional and arrogant to the extreme (not to mention ignorant).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Isn't it more that western development gained ground more instead of Japanese development lagging behind?

When either side gains ground, the overall standards shift. Whether you call it lagging behind or just "failing to improve" or whatever doesn't change much. Failing to gain ground while the standards increase is lagging behind.

Note: I am making no claims about whether or not Japanese devs really are lagging behind.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Crudely put and sounding a bit too generalized, but I agree with the sentiment if he's referring to how Japanese console games have lost the spotlight and a lot of their classic charms in the transition to directly compete with and be more influenced by Western counterparts who have come to dominate the industry. A lot of longtime gamers I know feel this way. This generation's Japanese developers have mostly failed to connect with me compared to every gen previous. There's just a distinct lack of the sort of games with a sort of charm I desire and sorta expect outta Japanese standbys and, with exception of some nice re-releases and a few original DD titles, they really haven't happened this gen on console at all. Now, if you're talking portables, well...not my thing until they start coming with video/HDMI out as standard.

So you're crushed by the lack of charm, as a primary reason for why Japanese games suck nowadays, but you're willing to ignore a million charming titles because of resolution and screen size?

You don't see the problem with this?

Alucrid

Banned
Yep. I couldn't give a fucking about his game or his opinion on other games, but the fact that he said that to someone who was clearly enthusiastic about the subject and wanted to get his opinion on a Japanese games only to be met with lol ur gamez sucks mean that hes a grade a asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom