• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

When are we going to get a Vita RPG? That's the one genre void in the launch window lineup. Seems like even a half-decent one could sell with no competition (unless you could PSP games)

:(
Disgaea is next month... but I'm not sure I'll get it. I already played it on the PS3.
The lack of RPGs right now is really disheartening. Even in the future, there aren't that many on the horizon. I was way into the PSP because of its wonderful RPG library.

Okay good. Because they actually feel a lot better now that they're looser like this. Good to know it's not just me. And frequency, mine do that wiggle thing too, which I don't like, but it seems like it was always like that I think.

That makes me feel better. Thank you.
I already had to return one because of a defective shoulder button.

They do feel better when I'm actually playing with them though. But I wonder if that's partly because I got used to them over time.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
From my understanding you don't need to delete your original save file. For future reference:

Say you let your brother borrow another game-
1. Insert it into his Vita, click yes on the Trophy warning window
2. Let the game do it's little install
3. Then go back to the main OS screen
4. Delete the content that was just installed
5. Remove card, then reinsert.
6. Install like new

This is all from what I've read online.

Thanks for this. I'll be sure to try it later. I don't really care about trophies, but my brother does. I just don't want to lose my saves.

When are we going to get a Vita RPG? That's the one genre void in the launch window lineup. Seems like even a half-decent one could sell with no competition (unless you could PSP games)

The thing just came out, bunch of good ones in the psp store if you need that fix, Im real close to picking up tactics ogre myself.

VanWinkle

I see this thread is finally staring to slow down. Kind of sad in a weird way. I've visited the Vita threads so much in the last few weeks.

I completely agree with you. This and the part 1 thread have been practically the only threads I've visited since the first thread came out, although I haven't posted in this one as much since there have been so many more people that joined this one when the full launch came around. A little sad for sure. I love this group.

frequency said:
That makes me feel better. Thank you.
I already had to return one because of a defective shoulder button.

They do feel better when I'm actually playing with them though. But I wonder if that's partly because I got used to them over time.

They definitely feel great while playing. I think the looseness will actually help with game like shooters, though. I've played this thing so much since I got it and I use to not like the analog sticks much; partly because they had too much resistance for how small they are.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073ESYZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got that case and for $10, it's pretty good. It is cloth but there is some hard material under it to give some resistance from bumps or even drops. You can play (and charge) with the vita in it but the triggers are kind hard to reach. There are also 2 elastic straps that hold the vita in place. I would highly recommend this :p

Here's a pic:

http://i.imgur.com/yNlnc.jpg

Thanks for the impressions. I actually had that preordered, but didnt pull the trigger because my Amazon Prime expired and there wasn't any reviews.

This one might be what you're looking for:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4674131?start=0&tstart=0

$20 at Target.

Wow, thanks very much. Other than being pretty hideous that looks very functional and sturdy. I just got the Official Travel Pouch from Target for the same price so i'm going to try to exchange it for that one.

For all you others that have had the Vita for a while like me, are your analog sticks pretty loose now? Like, at least quite a bit more than they were when new? I mean, they feel great, but I just want to know that it's supposed to be like that.
Yeah, more broken in than loose, and I'm much more convinced of their quality now.

Semi-related, I played a little on the PS3 today after all that Vita-ing and damn those sticks feel huge now. They literally feel at least twice as long as they need to be.

I think I'm going to grab the digital version of Ridge Racer tomorrow. Changing games on the fly is very appealing to me now.

And yes I know RR has been gimped to shit, but what can I say I've been with the series since the very beginning.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah I loved the crap out of the PSP Ridge Racer and I'm willing to give this one a try. I'm gonna blame DCharlie if this sucks as bad as every single reviewer claims it does.

VanWinkle

Yeah, more broken in than loose, and I'm much more convinced of their quality now.

Semi-related, I played a little on the PS3 today after all that Vita-ing and d*** those sticks feel huge now. They literally feel at least twice as long as they need to be.

This actually cracks me up, because I had the same reaction when I played the first PS3 game I've touched in a while recently. I was like "WHA!?" Biggest analog sticks in the world.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It will be in stores tomorrow. Should I ignore the reviews and just go for it? I mean it's only $30

Avoid like the plague. It's going to sell to some but the choices they made with this one here are baffling. They shouldn't be supported with this release. I would rather have had a fully featured RR for 40 than a demo for 30.

Do yourself a favor and support the actually good Graces f instead of this.

By the way, anyone in North America who doesn't have the PSP version of Ridge Racer, really ought to grab it. It's 15 bucks and it's so damn good. Actually I still think it's my favorite PSP racer and it was a launch game from 2005.

hitmon

Close to deciding between MLB and Hot Shots. Thanks guys for the input.

Question regarding the Hot Shots series. How often do they come out with a new iteration? To clarify, is it yearly like most sports games?

Desty

Banned
I think I'm going to grab the digital version of Ridge Racer tomorrow. Changing games on the fly is very appealing to me now.

And yes I know RR has been gimped to shit, but what can I say I've been with the series since the very beginning.

Me too.

I was surprised to hear it was developed by Cellius which has Ken Kutaragi as CEO. He is the father of the PS2. He should know that he should treat Ridge Racer better! I really hope they make another one for Vita that redeems themselves.

First hole-in-one in the game and what... it was done on a round trying for a crown... Not an official round. After that I also made a 53.6 foot putt in the same unofficial round.

GQman2121

Banned
By the way, anyone in North America who doesn't have the PSP version of Ridge Racer, really ought to grab it. It's 15 bucks and it's so damn good. Actually I still think it's my favorite PSP racer and it was a launch game from 2005.
I'm honestly excited to be able to play Type 4 one day. That's a fantastic game and on psn right now.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
So, my brother just bought a Vita and wanted to borrow my Ultimate Marvel vs. Capacom 3. When he tried to play it the game said that he couldn't earn trophies unless I deleted it from my Vita. I did and lost my save. No big deal since I only played it for four or five hours. Anyways, is this no trophy earning thing a Capcom or Vita thing?

If I understand it correctly, you don't need to delete it from your vita. What your brother needs to do is to insert the card into HIS Vita, then delete the bubble from his system, then remove and reinsert the card again to install the bubble. This will restore the game card, and he can now earn trophies.

Great read with mostly solid points; but I have a few comments to make:
  • While the constant signing in to PSN is annoying, it's for the sake of saving battery life (3DS anyone?); and it doesn't take anywhere near 20 seconds to sign in to PSN--I count less than 10 seconds.
  • The sub-native res launch titles are hardly a concern b/c 1) most of the Vita launch games already look leagues better than any other handheld titles on the market; and 2) more titles will run at native res as devs learn the hardware.
  • Do you really want constant notifications popping up for every single game status update that your PSN friends achieve? I already get annoyed when the friend sign-on notification gets in the way. Personally, I think Sony's idea of each game having its own Live Area is terrific b/c it's informative w/o being invasive.
  • Why does the App for "Settings" need a Live Area? (thanks to reson8er for pointing this out)
  • The Vita has cross-game chat, so where's the Vita-specific first-party accessory to compliment/market this feature?

1. I did guestimate the time to sign in and out. I may have high balled it. I will correct.

2. I did mention that sub-native res was both good looking (uncharted) and likely a symptom of launch titles.

3. I don't want notifications popping up in game for live area stuff, but if it could atleast register in the notification tab in the OS itself (the number in the upper right) that would be fantastic.

4. Very good point about the settings live area - haha. It's probably more about being uniform than anything, but it is funny.

5. Isn't there first party ear buds with a mic? I think there is.

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I haven't played a Megaman game in ages so I got Maverick Hunter X. I'm very surprised; the game looked jaggy and stuff, but the vivid colors are beautiful. I'm also having a great time with the gameplay.

So far, $10 well spent.

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah so the juggling carts thing is getting pretty annoying, especially coming from a big iOS gamer. May be going dd sooner than I had planned.

Le sigh.

Grinchy

Banned
I think it would be nice to pin the settings that you use most often to the settings LiveArea. It would make it useful.

I think we should be able to edit bubbles with "shortcut paths" for lack of a better word. Instead of just opening the general settings page, maybe I could make the bubble take me directly to how much memory I have left instead.

Or I could have a bubble that is one click away from the camera being active to take pictures instead of having to go through the whole "app."

It's nit-picky, but I'd love to see this level of customization in the future.

Ken

Yeah so the juggling carts thing is getting pretty annoying, especially coming from a big iOS gamer. May be going dd sooner than I had planned.

Le sigh.

You could just stop jumping around games so much, or get DD on games you know you'll constantly return to for MP or whatever. Regardless, switching cards isn't that bad unless you play 5 different titles within an hour.

Cloudy

Banned
I really don't get the juggling carts thing. I have an iphone as well but that doesn't make me hate switching games on my consoles lol

frequency

I guess some people switch games more often.

Since I have so many gaming devices in my room, if I don't feel like playing what's in my Vita, I'll play something on a different console instead of switching my Vita cart. Same can be said for like all my consoles. But at any one moment, I have like ten different games I can pick up and play without switching anything.

I'm such a loser.

Nightz

Just finished Golden Abyss. Wasn't a big fan of all the touch gimmick stuff, but overall it was a great great game. Loved it.

Ken

I guess some people switch games more often.

Since I have so many gaming devices in my room, if I don't feel like playing what's in my Vita, I'll play something on a different console instead of switching my Vita cart. Same can be said for like all my consoles. But at any one moment, I have like ten different games I can pick up and play without switching anything.

I'm such a loser.

At least you get to your games.

/looks at backlog.

sfedai0

Banned
Let's be honest here. Switching games IS a hassle in comparison to other gaming devices, be it console or handheld. You need some coke nails to get that tab to flip out. This is a design flaw though. Something that I assume will be rectified in the next iteration.

frequency

At least you get to your games.

/looks at backlog.

I wish I could get to more of them. All these shrink wrapped games, or games I put like two hours in before moving on (with the intent to go back) depresses me sometimes.
And I'll be adding at least Gravity Daze, Ragnarok Odyssey, Tales of Graces f, Yakuza Dead Souls, Armored Core V, Gundam UC, and One Piece Musou to that within the next month.

I think I have serious spending problems.

Ken

I wish I could get to more of them. All these shrink wrapped games, or games I put like two hours in before moving on (with the intent to go back) depresses me sometimes.
And I'll be adding at least Gravity Daze, Ragnarok Odyssey, Tales of Graces f, Yakuza Dead Souls, Armored Core V, Gundam UC, and One Piece Musou to that within the next month.

I think I have serious spending problems.
Awesome. Too bad I don't have a PS3 so I'll be playing it on the 360. :(

So I quickly exchanged the RDS Game Traveler case from the Official Travel Pouch and am already liking the RDS case much better. Feels much more sturdy and the zippers don't seem to be in the way. I thought it would be hideous judging from the link posted earlier but it actually looks pretty nice:

K9oE6l.jpg

This leather flap holds 16 games:

GhRKFl.jpg

Its got a lot of room on the inside, but not as much as the Official Pouch. The USB+brick could easily fit, but theres no way the power cord could fit. (Gonna need a smaller power chord). As far as the clasp, the Vita fits nice and snug in it. Its a little tight though, so i'm not sure this would work with armorshell cases:

aDOH4l.jpg

Pretty awesome that it doubles as a stand too:

l4K48l.jpg

Overall, i'd recommend this over the official case considering they are the same retail price. Although its a bit larger and can't hold that power chord, it feels more well-built and safe. Thanks again, DoubleTap.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just bought PvZ even though I bought five copies of the pc version for the same price. Should be nice to h
ave, would pay crazy money fo bejeweled 3 vita.

Number45

What cheapo PSP game would you guys recommend? Does anyone have Patapon 2 or Maverick Hunter?
Patapon 1/2 are amazing.

First hole-in-one in the game and what... it was done on a round trying for a crown... Not an official round. After that I also made a 53.6 foot putt in the same unofficial round.
I got mine on the real golf round on gold and it didn't count, was gutted. :'(

Sometimes I wonder how people survived the Gameboy days...it's hardly an issue
It's definitely more cumbersome than the GB/DS though, that cover is annoying.

SmokyDave

I really don't get the juggling carts thing. I have an iphone as well but that doesn't make me hate switching games on my consoles lol

The idea of carrying little carts around seems pointless and archaic to me, but luckily I just buy my games on PSN. If cart-juggling is an issue, it's an easy solution.

Gravijah

cartridge juggling has never really bothered me because i always focus on one game per console until i'm done with it. even my ipod touch is exclusively my game dev story machine. until it becomes my dungeon village machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom