• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hooking Up at a Party Technically Illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Really? Even if she denies it?

edit: saw your article. I don't think it's that clear cut. It's likely a case by case basis. I could likely find articles talking about how some mens lives have been ruined by false charges that carried through in court, but I dont see what that would prove.

It is determined on a case by case basis, like all legal matters. If the jury doesn't believe the accused's claim that it was consensual, then they will return a rape verdict. If they do believe it was consensual, then it's an acquittal.

i agree with the former. rape is sex without consent. i'll edit my post.

i don't agree with the idea that if someone gives consent that a rape took place. by the very definition you gave, a rape did not take place. the person had consent.

some other action has taken place, but it is not rape.

What if she gives consent because you have a gun to her head? The idea here is that "consent" under certain conditions is not meaningful. One of those conditions being when someone is too drunk to know what they are doing. Most states that have this rule also require that the person be so drunk that a reasonable person would understand the person was too drunk to meaningfully consent.

I'm not trying to define the essence of drunkenness. That's beside the point.
It's fairly pertinent to the discussion.
What matters is that you need to be really fucking careful when you're trying to have sex with someone who has been drinking. Prioritize their safety, and when in doubt, don't engage in or persuade them into having sex. In other words: don't rape them. Ain't hard.
Again, let me be clear that I understand the underlying sentiment that you're arguing for. However, the bolded -- in this poster's mind -- undermines this overly confident and self-righteous language you're employing to make the point. I don't think this is an incredibly difficult social problem, mind you, but I do think there is ambiguity inherent in the situation that can facilitate nuance, and I'm not sure you're doing much to really give any credence to the concerns of potentially paranoid non-predators.

Specifically, when should one be in doubt? That's the issue. Should we just say the consumption of any non-zero quantity of alcohol precludes casual sex at parties? Should we reexamine that "get an enthusiastic yes" proposition? Because those are actual answers -- right or wrong -- to the hypothetical question. "Just don't be an asshole, m'kay?" isn't really helpful in clarifying anything.

It is rape in some states, Wisconsin being one that I know of off hand. In Wisconsin having sex with someone you know is drunk is second degree sexual assault, a serious crime on par with using physical violence to force them to have sex with you.

I stand corrected. Wisconsin does indeed have a law criminalized sex with the "intoxicated." "Wisconsin law defines second degree sexual assault as any of the following criminal acts...Sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person known to be intoxicated, known to be unconscious, or known to suffer from diminished capacities of any sort that temporarily or permanently render the victim incapable of understanding the consequences of such conduct."

It's worth noting that "intoxicated" is pretty vague; it probably doesn't import the BAC test wholesale. Just a little tipsy, probably not, blacked out drunk, probably yes, anything between probably depends on how sympathetic a victim you are, how misogynistic a jury you get, and how good your lawyer is.

This means I've been raped by multiple girls who took advantage of me when I've been blacked out drunk. The worst part is when they recount all the nasty details and I can't remember a bit of it.

That's totally rape, bro.

Drunk and impaired is grey area, but unconscious? That's not a difficult call. You're not capable of consenting then.

But this is the problem! If the other person claims to be too intoxicated then they can recant their answer as they can claim to legally not be able to give consent. If you continue fooling around and it leads to sex like it often does then one party could be legally fucked. It's a mess. To stop and ask yes/no to begin with is not a part of norms. The whole thing in question is way more complex and nuanced than how this rule treats it.

But it should be, and those who refuse to take the slightest steps to ensure that their partner is consenting deserve to get hit with whatever rape charges get thrown their way.

You're playing with fire when you follow the standard script for sexual relations in this country. Morality demands that you go off-script.

is the girl retarded in this case, or a child? why are you absolving this hypothetical girl of personal responsibility? she doesn't have to take a whole bunch of shots from a stranger, and probably won't.

i agree it's a sleazy thing to do, but don't see how it would be considered rape.

The girl is not a child, but the guy is a scumbag.

You're the one allowing someone to dodge responsibility for their actions- you are excusing intentionally impairing someone else's judgment in order to get them to sleep with their sorry ass. I am not sure if there's a reasonable way to write the distinction into the law, but if someone intentionally buys someone else drinks with the intent to impair their judgment to get laid, they're a rapist, even if you can't prove that that was their intention in court.

What if she gives consent because you have a gun to her head? The idea here is that "consent" under certain conditions is not meaningful. One of those conditions being when someone is too drunk to know what they are doing. Most states that have this rule also require that the person be so drunk that a reasonable person would understand the person was too drunk to meaningfully consent.

yeah, i would agree that a decision to have sex made under duress would constitute rape. I would argue that the threat of physical violence is force.

I am talking about a situation where a person got drunk under their own volition, and had sex with someone willingly, because they wanted to have sex.

I just don't think it's logical or fair to call that rape.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
i will read it after i get home from work.

you have to realize that I'm talking using english. you seem to be changing the definition of words that are clearly defined. I don't understand why you are placing the burden on me to learn your new definition of these words. the burden should be on you to come up with a new term to describe what it is you are trying to say.
Glad you're going to read it. I'd be happy to talk more once you've done that. In the mean time, I think you should drop your rigid, narrow definition of consent. To make statements such as "If a girl is drunk and agrees to have sex, she was not raped." is dangerous and missing a huge part of the picture. See my other comments in the post you replied to.

PS: I really got to get some homework done. Gonna stay out of this thread till then. Would be happy to talk more later, here or via PM.

Tawpgun

Depends how drunk. It's pretty easy to tell if a chick wants you or not. If some chick doesn't know what planet she's on, let alone you, back off.

Dude Abides

Banned
I stand corrected. Wisconsin does indeed have a law criminalized sex with the "intoxicated." "Wisconsin law defines second degree sexual assault as any of the following criminal acts...Sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person known to be intoxicated, known to be unconscious, or known to suffer from diminished capacities of any sort that temporarily or permanently render the victim incapable of understanding the consequences of such conduct."

It's worth noting that "intoxicated" is pretty vague; it probably doesn't import the BAC test wholesale. Just a little tipsy, probably not, blacked out drunk, probably yes, anything between probably depends on how sympathetic a victim you are, how misogynistic a jury you get, and how good your lawyer is.

The statute itself suggests how drunk the victim would have to be: incapable of understanding the consequences of such conduct.

yeah, i would agree that a decision to have sex made under duress would constitute rape. I would argue that the threat of physical violence is force.

I am talking about a situation where a person got drunk under their own volition, and had sex with someone willingly, because they wanted to have sex.

I just don't think it's logical or fair to call that rape.

But the notion that they did it "willingly because they wanted to have sex" is negated by the fact that they had impaired capacity. They didn't understand what they were doing.

The statute itself suggests how drunk the victim would have to be: incapable of understanding the consequences of such conduct.

Suggestive but far from decisive. That phrasing applies to a separate clause in the law from the "intoxicated" part of the law. The law does read "Sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person known to be intoxicated," as a single, complete thought. I imagine the legislative record and precedent would be viewed as significantly better evidence for proper statutory interpretation than that.

Orayn

lol at asking a girl you just met, if she wants to have sex... And like her consenting would clear a man of rape charges if she later regrets what happened and claims rape. Me saying, "but she said yes!!!" won't do shit.

it's a fucked up law towards men, but I don't see how they could allow leeway, because then the law would be completely fucked for women (which is even worse).

What they need to do is harshly punish women who are clearly found guilty of making shit up. It's the only way to curb the bullshitters.

No, what that would do is make women less likely to come forward if they've been raped.

Dude Abides

Banned
Suggestive but far from decisive. That phrasing applies to a separate clause in the law from the "intoxicated" part of the law. The law does read "Sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person known to be intoxicated," as a single, complete thought. I imagine the legislative record and precedent would be viewed as significantly better evidence for proper statutory interpretation than that.

I think it's a pretty straightforward application of noscitur a sociis.

Maybe it's because I don't have much experience with casual drunken hook-ups with strangers, but I don't understand the resistance to obtaining explicit consent before things get too far because it's "not the norm" or whatever. "Are you sure this is OK?" "Yes" *things proceed as normal* Problem?

surrogate

I always conduct not only a breathalyzer, but also a full 13 panel urinalysis along with a full battery of psychological and intelligence tests.

Maybe it's because I don't have much experience with casual drunken hook-ups with strangers, but I don't understand the resistance to obtaining explicit consent before things get too far because it's "not the norm" or whatever. "Are you sure this is OK?" "Yes" *things proceed as normal* Problem?
I don't think there's necessarily a lot of resistance to that train of thought. Some have suggested that the initiation of sex is more organic and body-language driven than stopping to ask "So, sex? Yay? Nay? Thoughts? Concerns?" However, I think the real resistance came in the form of viewing the suggestion through the lens of how this thread was framed. We're worried about adhering to the letter of the law here. If the actions of drunk people are to be ignored because we concede that their judgment is too impaired, then what good does a verbal question and answer do us?

More to the point, "you sure you're good/that you want to do this?" probably helps filter out non-borderline cases where people are clearly very, very drunk. However, it does nothing to address concerns of edge cases.

Cubsfan23

Banned
a girl can say anything when she's sober, so there's no reason to avoid girls that are a little tipsy, because of paranoia.......obviously avoid the ones that are way over the edge drunk

squidyj

I don't think there's necessarily a lot of resistance to that train of thought. Some have suggested that the initiation of sex is more organic and body-language driven than stopping to ask "So, sex? Yay? Nay? Thoughts? Concerns?" However, I think the real resistance came in the form of viewing the suggestion through the lens of how this thread was framed. We're worried about adhering to the letter of the law here. If the actions of drunk people are to be ignored because we concede that their judgment is too impaired, then what good does a verbal question and answer do us?

More to the point, "you sure you're good/that you want to do this?" probably helps filter out non-borderline cases where people are clearly very, very drunk. However, it does nothing to address concerns of edge cases.

I usually use tongue twisters like "peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers"

If they say it without looking at me like I'm retarded, they're too drunk.

Every thread about rape there's always a couple posts insinuating the phenomenon of false rape allegations is as common as men raping drunk women. Sigh.

Centurion

Banned
Every thread about rape there's always a couple posts insinuating the phenomenon of false rape allegations is as common as men raping drunk women. Sigh.

show me a quote where anyone said this, instead of pulling shit outta thin air, and adding a sigh in the end to show disapproval....

Cubsfan23

Banned

Somebody falsely accused of rape is no less important than somebody who has been raped

I doubt anybody would call this place a haven for rapists, so it's only natural that we talk about ways to avoid being in said situations.......

Dude Abides

Banned
Somebody falsely accused of rape is no less important than somebody who has been raped

I doubt anybody would call this place a haven for rapists, so it's only natural that we talk about ways to avoid being in said situations.......

I think lying about someone actually is not as bad as raping them.

SmokeMaxX

I think lying about someone actually is not as bad as raping them.

Not entirely equivalent, but you're destroying a man's present (probably gets fired from job, has to register as sex offender, hugely negative social stigma, people will turn on him) as well as his future (won't be able to get certain jobs, won't be able to go to certain schools, will always carry the sex offender label, etc.). It's not as bad as raping someone, but I don't think the negative effects should be understated either.

Kapura

Banned
the "intoxicated consent" definition of rape really rustles my jimmies. If somebody is slipped a drug and they have sex and regret it, that's clearly rape. If somebody drinks of their own volition and then have sex of their own volition, that's clearly not rape.

Suairyu

Banned
the "intoxicated consent" definition of rape really rustles my jimmies. If somebody is slipped a drug and they have sex and regret it, that's clearly rape. If somebody drinks of their own volition and then have sex of their own volition, that's clearly not rape.
Define "of their own volition".

Centurion

Banned
And there it is like clockwork. A thread about rape becomes a thread about false rape allegations. Without fail.

what in the fuck are you on about?! This thread is about having sex at parties after drinking. You know, being drunk, around other drunks, and possibly having consensual sex.

this wasn't a thread about a girl being held at gunpoint and raped. I'd understand the anger if this issue was brought up in such a case.

Yes rape is real and no one here is a big enough asshole to downplay it. Some posters fucking suck.

And there it is like clockwork. A thread about rape becomes a thread about false rape allegations. Without fail.

What exactly are you complaining about? false rape allegations are actually relevant to the context of this thread. Some may be taking it too far but it's certainly an issue related to content of the OP.

Kapura

Banned
Wikipedia is not a dictionary.

However, even using that definition, talking someone who is much drunker than you into having sex is coercion.

If your definition of talking somebody into something is telling them to do it or you'll cut them, I'd agree. In most other situations, I would not.

Kapura

Banned
that's still a shit argument, because some people use alcohol to lower their barriers for the express purpose of saying "yes" to things they would otherwise have said "no" to. Additionally, you can't prove what somebody would have done if sober.

RDreamer

I must say I never really thought about it, but this thread pointed out the odd fact that it you get drunk and then drive you are still completely responsible, and made that decision. If you get drunk and have sex? You couldn't have made that decision and you may not be responsible. Now I understand somewhat why this is this way, but it is kind of weird in a legal sense.

In regards to this specific thread, that seems a bit disingenuous. I mean, I didn't really think that we were talking about specific examples of clear rape here. I thought this was more delving into hypothetical and ambiguity. I could be wrong, but I don't think you're being entirely fair. That's not to say that I don't understand sensitivity regarding unfair comparisons between actual rape and false rape accusations. However, the nature of the topic somewhat requires at least a cursory examination of that topic.

Suairyu

Banned
that's still a shit argument, because some people use alcohol to lower their barriers for the express purpose of saying "yes" to things they would otherwise have said "no" to. Additionally, you can't prove what somebody would have done if sober.
There's a difference between someone getting drunk enough to lose their inhibitions and someone being in drink-induced state of high susceptibility that is then exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom