• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

You should watch the whole interview.

Been trying to for the past 10 minutes, but they still haven't uploaded the video.

If that's the case.....Gamespot redeemed? This is so weird for me since the 07' incident is why I came to GAF in the first place. My life was on the GS forums until that day. So who's going to be working at Gamespot and who's gonna be working at giantbomb? Wonder if gamespot will be uncensored now...or at least less censored than before.

And did Rorie get layed off? He was a gamespot original, so I don't see why they couldn't take him in as well.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm really shocked that so many people in the last dozen or so pages don't know who John Davison is or what he's done over the last decade in regards to covering games.

Davison, Mark McDonald and Geoff Keighley are like the three guys I think of who have been covering the industry since the dawn of the internet.

I'm really shocked that so many people in the last dozen or so pages don't know who John Davison is or what he's done over the last decade in regards to covering games.

Davison, Mark McDonald and Geoff Keighley are like the three guys I think of who have been covering the industry since the dawn of the internet.

Not jeff?

HenryHSH

Dave and Jeff must have made some mad bank on this (I'm assuming Jeff invested in the company). Do we know how much CBS bought them for?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
oh man I have to see the interview! Not uploaded yet?

FStop7

Banned
I've mentioned it the past, John Davison is one of the most influential people in the business. He has editorial control of not only one of the largest game sites, he also has control of Metacritic - a site that carries so much weight within the industry that game devs make or lose bonuses (or jobs) based on Metacritic scores.

I just hope he stays around because he has a tendency to job hop.

Khezu

Dave and Jeff must have made some mad bank on this (I'm assuming Jeff invested in the company). Do we know how much CBS bought them for?

No one knows but them. If I had to guess I would say the VAST amount of investment came from shellby bonnie.

Jintor

I think I've rolled around to the acceptance stage. I trust the GB dudes enough. I am still very, deeply cut about no more Tested crossovers though, or at least a highly decreased frequency of such.

For those that missed:

On March 15, 2012, it was announced that CBS Interactive had acquired the Giant Bomb and Comic Vine web sites from Whiskey Media.[12] CBS Interactive is the parent company of CNET, which operates GameSpot. As part of the deal, the non-disparagement agreement between Gerstmann and CNET was nullified, allowing him to finally speak publicly about his termination over four years later. Later that evening on GameSpot's On the Spot web show, GameSpot VP John Davison appeared on camera with Gerstmann, marking Gerstmann's first appearance on the GameSpot web site since November 2007. He explained that the reason for his firing was the result of long-standing tension between the editorial staff and the new marketing staff that had recently been put in place. According to Gerstmann, new marketing staff was in place that wasn't familiar with video game journalism or how to deal with annoyed publishers. He revealed that the problems began after publishing the review for Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction that went live on October 23, 2007. The review was written by Aaron Thomas and scored a 7.5 (good). The publisher, Sony Computer Entertainment America, complained to GameSpot over the score and threatened to pull their advertising money. Gerstmann, as Thomas' boss, was "called into a room" to discuss the review. He said the marketing team freaked out over Sony's threats and didn't understand how to handle threats like that. Tension continued between marketing and editorial, coming to a head after Gerstmann published his review for Kane & Lynch: Dead Men on November 13, 2007 and scored it a 6.0 (fair). His frankness of the game's quality led to the publisher, Eidos Interactive, also threatening to pull their advertising money. At the time of the review going live, the GameSpot home page was covered in ads for Kane & Lynch. Gerstmann said he was once again "called into a room" where he was sternly admonished over the review. After over two weeks of even thicker tension between marketing and editorial, Gerstmann was yet again "called into a room" and was informed he was being fired on November 29, 2007 effective immediately. He said they essentially caved to advertiser pressure despite vehemently claiming they didn't just days after the firing.

On a humorous note, during the show, Gerstmann claimed he ran into a few members of Kane & Lynch developer IO Interactive at a convention a few months after his firing. He claims one of the people he ran into said, "Yeah, Kane & Lynch wasn't a very good game." Gerstmann responded, "You should totally call up my old bosses and tell them that."[13]

Mahonay

Banned
I think I've rolled around to the acceptance stage. I trust the GB dudes enough. I am still very, deeply cut about no more Tested crossovers though, or at least a highly decreased frequency of such.
From Twitter updates it sounds like Will and Brad are already looking forward to doing another Lantern Run.

I can understand peoples apprehension because within the context of videogames media this is really weird. It will be interesting watch what happens moving forward and I am happy in the fact that Giantbomb will keep being Giantbomb at least for the time being. It won't matter if they eventually get swallowed into Gamespot as a whole because these guys are some of the best at what they do and that will shine through regardless of where they do it.

My only gripe is losing Will and Norm in their current capacity but they are going on to do something pretty crazy themselves!

Ozone

This should be the new picture in the OP:

tumblr_m0ycvnWwxT1qza3e8o1_500.jpg

In which he named Sony as putting financial pressure on GameSpot over editorial.

Eidos does it and GAF goes berserk, Sony does it and....meh

Did we even know Sony did that until today? Most assumed K&L were the problem since that was the last game he reviewed before getting fired.

In which he named Sony as putting financial pressure on GameSpot over editorial.

The point was that the whole industry does it. It's nothing new. Most sites are used to it, and simply deal with it for while.

Gamespot fired Gerstmann because the team handling the money side buckled, where an experienced team would not have. There really is no other way to interpret this, I don't see how it needs explaining.

Zaph

I've always thought it's the publisher's prerogative to put pressure on publications for more favorable coverage... And for the publication's to tell them where to shove it.

eznark

Banned
It was four years ago. Ancient history in internet terms.

Did we even know Sony did that until today? Most assumed K&L were the problem since that was the last game he reviewed before getting fired.

Hell of a story here for someone who wants to write it. Too bad this is the games industry.

The point was that the whole industry does it. It's nothing new. Most sites are used to it, and simply deal with it for while.

Gamespot fired Gerstmann because the team handling the money side buckled, where an experienced team did not. There really is no other way to interpret this, I don't see how it needs explaining.

What needs explaining? I think it needs expanding. I don't care how it relates to Gerstmann, I care that it is so widespread people don't even bat an eye anymore.

Yes, but it is kind of ironic how Giant Bomb shitted all over the Vita during the live quick look, then just a day or two later the site is smothered in Vita ads.

Not really

That review was pretty shit. "too much variety" in a 3D platformer.... the fuck is that? that's like saying a horror game is too scary or a flight sim is too real.
The reviewer was manly a sports game guy who never played a R&C game before so I remember someone from insomniac or sony saying they thought that review was a bit unfair afterword.

Still it was how the reviewer felt so I am with Gerstmann about standing behind that review.

Plus having a game publisher pull some ads from your site following a negative review seems like a normal things. If your site was as big as gamespot was the publisher will be back with more ads the next time they have a big game.

The new managers just over reacted and it bit them in the ass big time with the gerstmann gate fallout.

THRILLH0

Banned
It was four years ago. Ancient history in internet terms.
You've got people in this very thread posting that "I STILL don't want to give that piece of shit website any hits" over what happened 4 years ago.

C'mon son. If he'd outed EA or Activision the reaction would be different and you know it.

xptoxyz

He mentioned one publisher, and there are bound to have been others before and after, I think he even said so(unsure about this). The problem seems to have been just the way how that new managing team handled it, by calling up editors on it when not applicable instead of trying to find a different solution with the ad partner.

The publishers hold all the power over these sites. They don't have to support them in anyway. It's always going to look fishy no matter what.

lmao. It only says that because the name of the channel is "Gamespot". That's what it looks like for every channel on TwitchTV that runs ads. "This advertisement directly supports (insert channel name here)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom