• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

out of curiosity, can an ultrabook run this? My gaming rig is back at my apartment while I'm away for a week...

So long as your ultrabook's got a couple gigs of RAM, a decent processor and a GPU with a hardware vertex shader, you should be fine. You might not be able to crank EVERYTHING, but it'd run, I bet.

Also twelve pages in 13 hours. Brings a tear to my eye, lads.

So long as your ultrabook's got a couple gigs of RAM, a decent processor and a GPU with a hardware vertex shader, you should be fine. You might not be able to crank EVERYTHING, but it'd run, I bet.

Also twelve pages in 13 hours. Brings a tear to my eye, lads.

Intel Core i5-2557M

Intel HD Graphics 3000

4gb ram

Haven't gamed on an integrated graphics in nearly a decade. No clue how they perform these days.

Zizbuka

Banned
I'm now a big Ys fan. :)

I played Ark of Napishtim on PSP and loved it. Bought the I & II set for PSP, but never opened it. The packaging is so beautiful.

I love this game. Wouldn't it be great if they ported all thos JRPGs I missed on PS1/PS2. Wishful thinking I guess.

Man, this was a total impulse buy today and I've clocked in at 2:30 with more to come tonight. So much fun!

After reading some impressions before buying, you guys helped Ys my purchase.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Early days and all, but what are the chances that we will get Ys I & II Chronicles? I never bothered to grab it on the PSP.

Then again I feel that most people would simply want Complete, so either or all.

Kareha

Go into the Redist folder of the game, you'll find a music folder with the entire game soundtrack in OGG format :)

Eusis

I am surprised Xseed even took the effort to also bring the DirectX 8 Version.
Maybe it was included with the latest Japanese release? Plus it doesn't hurt to keep broader compatibility, not that I can imagine anyone can even run Steam on DirectX 8 hardware.

What graphics config is optimal this game? I only messed with it for a couple mins before work, but the stretch at 1080p is a little rough.

frequency

I think this is my third time buying this game.
This time is more just for support than anything. I probably won't be replaying this any time soon with all the new games I'm playing through. I'm so wasteful with my money.

MechaX

I cannot believe that I am stuck on the first boss on normal.

It's just one of his magic sword patterns that I cannot figure out how to consistently dodge for the life of me. And all the FAQs say is "hur hur that attack is hard to dodge".

FINALBOSS

Banned
So the in-game manual mentions a move that triggers when you attack immediately after coming to a standstill. I can't get it to work. Am I missing something obvious?

Haven't been able to pull it off once.

Just gave up since I really didn't need it lol :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat the 4th boss. I love the level of challenge in this game, it's tough enough that you actually have to get good at it but it never feels unfair.

Sooooo good. GAF was on the money with this one, phenomenal game.

So, I want to get this game, but I also want to play the Ys games in order (I'm kind of a bitch in that regard). Would finishing Ys I&II on the DS be ideal for this purpose?

Jimrpg

so how long is this game? and it looks like zelda?

I was going to buy this on PSP last week, but I think i'm going to get the PC version now... shame there's no MAC version on Steam... what is it with mac versions on steam... there was a big hoo ha when it first launched but now there's hardly any MAC versions of games... MAC computers are selling by the truckloads... are they not selling mac versions or something... it should be demanded that steam is preinstalled on every MAC and it opens when you boot the computer up... (or wait is that the steambox they are making?)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
So, I want to get this game, but I also want to play the Ys games in order (I'm kind of a bitch in that regard). Would finishing Ys I&II on the DS be ideal for this purpose?

Avoid the DS version. If you have no way of getting Complete on PC or Chronicles on PSP, then grab the VC version of Book I & II on Wii.

It's just one of his magic sword patterns that I cannot figure out how to consistently dodge for the life of me. And all the FAQs say is "hur hur that attack is hard to dodge".

Getting just one level can actually make a fairly big difference in this game. I think I remember being kind of hit and run with that boss as well. The downward lunge is useful.

Volcynika

so how long is this game? and it looks like zelda?

I was going to buy this on PSP last week, but I think i'm going to get the PC version now... shame there's no MAC version on Steam... what is it with mac versions on steam... there was a big hoo ha when it first launched but now there's hardly any MAC versions of games... MAC computers are selling by the truckloads... are they not selling mac versions or something... it should be demanded that steam is preinstalled on every MAC and it opens when you boot the computer up... (or wait is that the steambox they are making?)

This game was made a while ago, and they never developed a Mac version.

And generally, Steam usually puts up the Mac version of games if they are made. That's up to the developers that make the games, not Valve.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Just finished the fourth boss as well. Like what I see so far. Here's hoping the game sells well enough for Falcom to sit up and take notice, leading to far more of their games heading to Steam.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Took 30 minutes, updating my graphic card drivers, and turning off my second monitor, but I finally got the game to go in 1440x1080 in full screen at the proper aspect ratio. I find it amusing I needed updated drivers to get a 7 year old game to display right.

Anya, you piratical trollop, where did you hide all the raval
emot-argh.gif
I found three of them (garden, pikkards, bar) but I'm missing the one "hidden under a window"!

Early days and all, but what are the chances that we will get Ys I & II Chronicles? I never bothered to grab it on the PSP.

Then again I feel that most people would simply want Complete, so either or all.

We were talking about this in the pre-release thread: it's very unlikely we'll see Complete OR Chronicles. Complete runs exclusively in 640x480, 256 color mode; the Ys Eternal ports which Complete collects are from the 1990s. Chronicles on PC is little more than the PSP game poorly emulated. Both of them are somewhat suboptimal. Ironically, the best way to experience I & II at this point is on the PSP itself.

Jimrpg

This game was made a while ago, and they never developed a Mac version.

And generally, Steam usually puts up the Mac version of games if they are made. That's up to the developers that make the games, not Valve.

yes it was a long shot... but i hate using bootcamp and switching over to PC just to play my steam games... i know they just went ahead and released the PC version... would have been nice if they touched it up a bit, put the wide screen support in, voice acting, MAC support. maybe now its done so well we'll get these upgrades. :)

so how long does it take to complete the game?

Thanks guys, gonna look for I&II complete for PC then. I'll muscle through it partly for the sake of supporting xseed on this release lol

As I noted above, the PSP version of I & II is probably the definitive version currently, if you own a PSP. If you get Chronicles, you'll need a fan-translation patch currently.

Sinatar

Anya, you piratical trollop, where did you hide all the raval
emot-argh.gif
I found three of them (garden, pikkards, bar) but I'm missing the one "hidden under a window"!

We were talking about this in the pre-release thread: it's very unlikely we'll see Complete OR Chronicles. Complete runs exclusively in 640x480, 256 color mode; the Ys Eternal ports which Complete collects are from the 1990s. Chronicles on PC is little more than the PSP game poorly emulated. Both of them are somewhat suboptimal. Ironically, the best way to experience I & II at this point is on the PSP itself.

What about Ys VI Ark of Napishtim? Apparently it had a PC release, was it any good?

Teknoman

Until the widescreen patch releases, what exactly would you have to set in AMD catalyst settings to make sure you're playing at the correct aspect ratio?

Also I guess the lowest 4:3 res I can set to with my monitor is 1152 x 864.

Aeana

What about Ys VI Ark of Napishtim? Apparently it had a PC release, was it any good?

Yes. It uses the same engine as this game, runs the same. Deuce, the translator who provided the script for this game to XSEED, has said that he has a translated script for Ark of Napishtim for them to use as well, so hopefully that'll get released as well. If not, there is a fan translation patch available for the PC version as well.

Sinatar

Until the widescreen patch releases, what exactly would you have to set in AMD catalyst settings to make sure you're playing at the correct aspect ratio?

Also I guess the lowest 4:3 res I can set to with my monitor is 1152 x 864.

untitledlnz3u.jpg

You might need to set your screen resolution to 1 notch below your monitors native res to ungray the options for scaling, you want to select "maintain aspect ratio".

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Took 30 minutes, updating my graphic card drivers, and turning off my second monitor, but I finally got the game to go in 1440x1080 in full screen at the proper aspect ratio. I find it amusing I needed updated drivers to get a 7 year old game to display right.

You have an AMD card? How did you do that, I have no idea how to do anything with that new layout.

As I noted above, the PSP version of I & II is probably the definitive version currently, if you own a PSP. If you get Chronicles, you'll need a fan-translation patch currently.

tears...my PSP has been sitting in a drawer ever since I got behind in CFW and didn't bother sorting through all the updates. Maybe if I can nab the PSP version easily I'll sort through the CFW issue. UMDs are terrible that way. The CFW thing has also left me with a sealed copy of Persona 3 PSP completely untouched, so I could play that too as a matter of fact.

Aeana

tears...my PSP has been sitting in a drawer ever since I got behind in CFW and didn't bother sorting through all the updates. Maybe if I can nab the PSP version easily I'll sort through the CFW issue. UMDs are terrible that way. The CFW thing has also left me with a sealed copy of Persona 3 PSP completely untouched, so I could play that too as a matter of fact.

"sorting through the CFW issue" = "updating to latest official firmware and following these directions"

Kareha

I was stuck for awhile on him, then I went and ground out another level, came back and kicked his ass :)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

I was having trouble with him too at first. I leveled up to level 7 and went back to town to buy a new sword. Then I went back to fight the boss. I just backed off him when he was attacking and jumped when a sword came close to me. Beat him easily.

Aeana

Going to nitpick here, but I think your facts might be off a touch.

Ys I Eternal did come out in the 90s and did run in 256 colors, but Ys II Eternal came out in 2000 with much improved graphics running in full color.

Ys I & II Complete then takes this a step further, putting Ys I Eternal into the Ys II Eternal engine, with the new sprites and better color of the latter, plus a new OST that I adore (FM synth forever)

Yes, they run in VGA, but saying that is suboptimal to the PSP version is not quite right, because the PSP version runs in an even smaller resolution than 640 x 480, and it runs at 30 FPS instead of 60, making it visually inferior.

Ys I & II Complete for PC is still a fantastic looking game and I would pay moneyz for it to be on Steam.

PC:
http://hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys2eternal.jpg[IMG]

PSP:
[IMG]http://hardcoregaming101.net/ys/ys2-psp.png[IMG]

/nitpick[/QUOTE]

You're not factoring in things like fixed panel native resolution.
Also, I'm not sure you're right about the color mode in Ys 2 or in Ys 1 in the Complete package, since I still had trouble using FRAPS with those versions when I was trying to record an Ys 2 speedrun.

At any rate, the games require mucking around to get them to work on Windows 7 as it is. I don't know if their programmer would be able to fix that or not.

Top Bottom