• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

NZpy9.jpg

<3

These bosses make me their bitch every time.

Question for the Ys sages: is there any reason not to have "Always dash once able" on? I just got the ability.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yes. It's a re-imagining of the third title in the series, but it doesn't really depend on the previous ones in any major way.

Yes. (However, note that "beginner friendly" and "easy" are two entirely different things, in my opinion at least)

Yes.

Good to hear.

Nice, I agree, easy and beginner friendly are two different things. I'm looking for accessability over easymode ^^

Uhm...

Bought.

GAF is bad for my wallet. Between the twitch.tv streams and seeing the posted achievement art, I'm going to spend money on this game the minute I get home :(

Peff

These bosses make me their bitch every time.

Question for the Ys sages: is there any reason not to have "Always dash once able" on? I just got the ability.

Not really, as far as I remember. Maybe for some bosses it could cause you to run into attacks, but it's easy to disable it then. Napishtim had a special dash jump for a few platforming sections but it's not in this game.

beril

This is the remake of Ys III right?

How similiar is it to the original? A non sidescrolling Ys III feels a bit wrong but it's been a long time since I played an Ys game so I'm a bit tempted anyway.

Aeana

This is the remake of Ys III right?

How similiar is it to the original? A non sidescrolling Ys III feels a bit wrong but it's been a long time since I played an Ys game so I'm a bit tempted anyway.

It shares the same general story and has arrangements of the same music, but it's its own thing.

This is a remake of Ys 3?? I have to get it now, I loved it on SNES. Wish it was still platformer though, but the gameplay looks great and I like what I've heard of the remixed soundtrack.

Netto-kun

Uh, is there a bug with the "Consult an FAQ Already" achievement? The description says "Died over 10 times on a single boss.", yet it was unlocked when I died against the first boss (I only died once!) in Zone of Lava? Looks like it's counting the deaths from the previous boss fights as well.

Volodja

Unless my perception got completely warped, I think I just got the achievement for being killed 10 times by the same boss after my first or second death on it.
I wonder if it's a bug or the achievement just decided to show up later after I got it while facing the miniboss (even if I don't think I died 10 times on that one either).

edit: oh, looks like I'm not the only one.

The boss after getting the dash ability is insane. So much health on it and I die fast. I'll figure it out eventually, I'm sure, but, man. Tough.

I also got the achievement on my third death on a different boss.

Durante

I think the achievement might unlock after dying 10 times at any boss in total, instead of 10 times at the same boss.

I prefer voices over 60fps in an RPG... and I'm sure it looks great on a small screen too.
It's about as far from the type of RPG where framerate doesn't matter as you can get, it's quite action/reaction heavy. Not that it's unplayable at 30 FPS of course, but I feel like it plays quite a bit better at 120 :p (I have both the PSP version on Vita and this one)

Maedhros

I prefer voices over 60fps in an RPG... and I'm sure it looks great on a small screen too.

You're right, it's not like the PSP version plays like shit. It's still a great port. 30FPS mean shit to me.

I was in doubt of double dipping, but did, because I want to help XSeed, not because I really needed, I could live without the Steam version personally.

Peff

I just noticed that this thread is going to be bigger than the PSP OT in a couple of posts, heh.

EDIT: Wired? worked great for me...

Durante

Talking about controllers, am I the only one who thinks that the default button layout is horrible? Having both jumping and spells on the face buttons makes no sense. I died 3 times at the first (real) boss, but when I fixed the layout I did it with over 1/2 of my HP left.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Talking about controllers, am I the only one who thinks that the default button layout is horrible? Having both jumping and spells on the face buttons makes no sense. I died 3 times at the first (real) boss, but when I fixed the layout I did it with over 1/2 of my HP left.
Definitely, especially across from each other.

Varna

Bought.

Good to see it in the number 1 spot. I hope this encourages more Japanese companies to release their games on PC.

MechaX

Man, I need to tinker with the gamepad configuration a bit. Having the Square button equivalent be attack/confirm just seems weird.

cj_iwakura

I gave this some love at the blog I frequent, so I'm doing my part, even though I'm not quite up to buying it again. ;)

Knock 'em dead, Adol.

Deepo

Never played an Ys game before. I've read a lot of positive stuff about them, but I always figured it was a lot of rose tinted glasses and such involved.

But fuck me if this isn't entirely awesome. The action gameplay is rock solid! The music! Leveling! Hit counter! High res! AA and AF! GAHHHHH!

Such a great old school action RPG, and old jaded me have never played it! YES!

Top Bottom