• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have my 360 controller plugged in but when I go to config it and it tells you to hit a button it doesn't detect anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if the work on the widescreen patch can carry over to Ys Origin and Trails in the Sky. That'd be nice, and seemingly bring a few more on board.

They run on the same engine, so I'd guess it wouldn't be too difficult to implement across different games. The biggest problem seems to be that the games aren't designed with widescreen in mind at all. So during some cutscenes with widescreen enabled, you might have an NPC standing pre-loaded, ready to go on screen when the scripting calls for it. I saw mentions of that for the fan patches for the Japanese copies. Out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has tested that on the Steam version?

That and they haven't figured out how to fix the stretched UI/portraits/cutscenes.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I have my 360 controller plugged in but when I go to config it and it tells you to hit a button it doesn't detect anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Is it in "standby?" I have to replug it in if I leave it plugged in but unused for a while since the controller seems to go into some sort of standby mode and isn't detected anymore. Has the four lights flashing instead of the P1 light on.

Other than that I can't help, it worked fine for me.

Ledsen

Bought instantly. I think this is the ONLY Steam game I've ever bought day one, aside from Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas. And I own 200+ Steam games. Have to get it into the heads of all those other japanese developers that they should GET ON STEAM ALREADY! DON'T YOU LIKE MONEY?

Also, how do I get a higher 4:3 resolution than 1280x960? I'm on a 1080p display but that's the highest I see in the config tool.

Salaadin

The soundtrack...

QUpor.jpg

mother of god, the OST is amazing.

Agreed. OiF has the best soundtrack of any Ys game, imo. Its amazing on every level.

They run on the same engine, so I'd guess it wouldn't be too difficult to implement across different games. The biggest problem seems to be that the games aren't designed with widescreen in mind at all. So during some cutscenes with widescreen enabled, you might have an NPC standing pre-loaded, ready to go on screen when the scripting calls for it. I saw mentions of that for the fan patches for the Japanese copies. Out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has tested that on the Steam version?

That and they haven't figured out how to fix the stretched UI/portraits/cutscenes.

Is it in "standby?" I have to replug it in if I leave it plugged in but unused for a while since the controller seems to go into some sort of standby mode and isn't detected anymore. Has the four lights flashing instead of the P1 light on.

Other than that I can't help, it worked fine for me.

I can map everything fine except the right hand side for movement... Not sure what to do about that.

Eusis

Man, that NPC thing sounds like it could really be a buzzkill, and likely too impractical for Trails in the Sky, but I figure at worst you need to leave title/menu screens at 4:3, maybe movies and stuff as well, for the UI stuff. Shame they didn't have native support in the first place, but I think many of us were still on 4:3 displays then.

Bought as soon as I got home. Its on top of the Steam top sellers list already. It feels like sweet vindication after making such a case in the past for the Ys games to be ported to Steam.

Wonko_C

Ys 7 is already being ported to PC for the Chinese market, to be released on June 20. However, it'll be a fairly barebones port (likely not without its share of issues).

I already know about the chinese port, but that's probably not going to be localized and like you said it's bound to have issues, it could end up being another Resident Evil 4 fiasco. Bluepoint would mean it could be released worldwide, run great on modest PCs and have an HD HUD.

Is the gallery, voice acting and prologue worth it to get the psp version over the PC version? Still haven't decided which version to get...
or I could get them both when I have the money :p

Eusis

Is the gallery, voice acting and prologue worth it to get the psp version over the PC version? Still haven't decided which version to get...
or I could get them both when I have the money :p
Depends on how fine you are with 30 FPS locked and lower resolution/detail. It's a great port so I think it's a genuine toss up, unlike Ys VI. I'd get PC for now though just to keep it at the top spot even longer and to send the message that there IS an audience on PC, not much you can say with a PSN sale at this point.

Depends on how fine you are with 30 FPS locked and lower resolution/detail. It's a great port so I think it's a genuine toss up, unlike Ys VI. I'd get PC for now though just to keep it at the top spot even longer and to send the message that there IS an audience on PC, not much you can say with a PSN sale at this point.

Hmm good point. I don't really mind lower res and fps though and this game seems great to play on a portable. I'll probably end up buying them both I guess.

Eusis

The voice acting in the PSP version is ear-rending garbage. Don't even consider it in your appraisal because you'll just turn it off as soon as you encounter the lady that runs the inn anyway.
I guess I know when you turned it off! It's fine beyond that unfortunate spot and maybe a few other NPCs, but it's something I can live without.

The voice acting in the PSP version is ear-rending garbage. Don't even consider it in your appraisal because you'll just turn it off as soon as you encounter the lady that runs the inn anyway.

Well, the leads (especially the Stoddart siblings) are well-voiced, but the rest tend to be, um, hit-or-miss.

Anyway, #1, hell yes. This means Good Things, gentlemen.

Pyrrhus

I guess I know when you turned it off! It's fine beyond that unfortunate spot and maybe a few other NPCs, but it's something I can live without.

Nah, not quite. I kept going until I heard the shopkeepers because I'm a glutton for punishment. But I don't expect normal people to put up with it for that long.

Is anyone getting graphical glitches? Everything was fine until after the opening cutscene it went to the bridge and it looked all screwy. And I couldn't see the dialog box.

Eusis

Nah, not quite. I kept going until I heard the shopkeepers because I'm a glutton for punishment. But I don't expect normal people to put up with it for that long.
I guess then it was until just before you got out of town. Maybe I just have a thicker skin, but I'd say for the main story events at least the VA's very good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess Xanadu Next is pretty much a lock at this point. Hopefully so is Trails!

I'd like it to make it over, hopefully without this bug. Stuck at that point because of it :(

Other games like Trails (since it's already localized) and probably Ys: Ark of Napishtim (since Ys has known potential) would probably come first.

I keep dying at the ruins <_<

Awesome. I hope you can tell us how Falcom's reacting later on.

I don't exactly have a direct line to Falcom
emot-v.gif
You'll have to ask XSEED, or check Falcom's twitter, for that!

Also I dunno if anything else is "a lock" at this point, but if the game's doing what I suspect it's doing, it'll definitely help.

zoku88

I don't exactly have a direct line to Falcom
emot-v.gif
You'll have to ask XSEED, or check Falcom's twitter, for that!

Also I dunno if anything else is "a lock" at this point, but if the game's doing what I suspect it's doing, it'll definitely help.

you're such a tease ;)

Top Bottom