• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

Gunsmithx

so far so good, awesome to see it hit the #1 spot, hopefully it can stay up there for a couple of days. I know we most likely won't but I'd love to see how it does compared to how the psp version did.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ysf_win_dx92012-03-19rhlu1.png

ysf_win_dx92012-03-19dkbjs.png

Loving it so far. Soundtrack is just absolutely boss.

krYlon

Talking about controllers, am I the only one who thinks that the default button layout is horrible? Having both jumping and spells on the face buttons makes no sense. I died 3 times at the first (real) boss, but when I fixed the layout I did it with over 1/2 of my HP left.

Yeah, this is something that everyone needs to do IMO. As soon as you change your special ability to a shoulder button it makes things much easier.
Had to do it in the PSP version as well.

So, possibly silly question, but can I sell items? Or do I just start discarding equipment once I fill up all the weapon/armor/accessory slots?

Zizbuka

Banned
Only got to play a little bit, but I haven't been this excited to play a game in a long time. Need more Ys games on PC.

Someone gave me a CD with Ys I & II years ago, never bothered with it. Would it work if I hunt for it, on Win 7? But the English translation patch is on some black thingy, about 3.5" square. Not sure how that works. ;) Don't have one of those on any of my computers these days.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
WTF. How did an Ys thread get so big in less than a day!?
I imported and fan translation-patched this YEEAAARS ago and played through it sooooo many times. I picked it up on PSP day 1, just to have it on the go.
And despite all that history with Ys OiF specifically (and quite a bit more with Ys III generally), there was still the tiniest of flutters in my heart when I clicked on the purchase button in Steam just now.

Good fucking times.
And as to the thread size? Well-deserved.

krYlon

Should I just go ahead and get this version? Anything the PSP version has over this version?

The PSP version has voice acting, the option to play older soundtracks, has some extras such as galleries and "outtakes" and is a little easier due to an ability called double boost.

The PC version looks better, runs at a higher FPS, gives you the opportunity to play with a proper analogue stick, has achievements and leaderboards.

I prefer the PC version myself.

Characters look like higher resolution Treasure Hunter G characters. Pretty good so far, I've played a few of the other Falcom pc game so I'm already on board with this.

Eusis

The PC version looks better, runs at a higher FPS, gives you the opportunity to play with a proper analogue stick, has achievements and leaderboards.
Moot point in light of the Vita I think. Hell, the nub isn't too bad on the 2000 and 3000, or I just got used to it so it was no longer an issue.

krYlon

Moot point in light of the Vita I think. Hell, the nub isn't too bad on the 2000 and 3000, or I just got used to it so it was no longer an issue.

If playing on a Vita then I agree it is irrelevant. The nub I never got used to though, I actually played with the d-pad for all the Ys games.

Eusis

It was almost completely unbearable on the 1000, I had to take breaks from Daxter from causing hand pain. Rarely had that on the PSP 2000/3000 and it'd take a long longer for anything to pop up, but when the D-Pad's ignored it can be annoying (what is wrong with the LBP developers?)

So how have you guys changed your pad/360 controls? I changed A to jump, X to attack, and RB for magic. Much, much, much more comfortable. This should have been the default layout.

Varna

I have it...

X = Nothing
A = Attack
B = Jump
Y = Boost
R = Magic
L = Next spell

Working fairly well. No idea how they would expect you go hold to charge and jump with both buttons on the face.

krYlon

It was almost completely unbearable on the 1000, I had to take breaks from Daxter from causing hand pain. Rarely had that on the PSP 2000/3000 and it'd take a long longer for anything to pop up, but when the D-Pad's ignored it can be annoying (what is wrong with the LBP developers?)

I still suffered pain in my thumb with the 2000 if I played regularly (ie an hour a day, or even less).
Actually Daxter was one of the games that I did play with the nub and put me off future use.

So yeah it's probably Daxter's fault.

Nif

Friend is getting no text when they boot up the game on a radeon mobility 9000. The graphics look okay otherwise. Tried toggling anti-aliasing, filtering, any other graphics setting, but nothing is go. Anyone else have this problem?

Sara

Friend is getting no text when they boot up the game on a radeon mobility 9000. The graphics look okay otherwise. Tried toggling anti-aliasing, filtering, any other graphics setting, but nothing is go. Anyone else have this problem?

That's weird. Tell 'em to just try rebooting. Otherwise, installing the MS PGothic font might work as the game will fall back on it if somehow the built-in font isn't working.

PS, I personally use the default keyboard controls except with Boost on A.

Actiss

Is anyone else having an issue when trying to change the buttons? It seems that if I try to change them, the changes never stick and always go back to default when I load the game. All other options in the config seem to work correctly.

Eusis

Working fairly well. No idea how they would expect you go hold to charge and jump with both buttons on the face.
I mapped as I believe the Japanese PSP release was (And possibly intended on PC): attack is B, jump is A, magic is X, boost is Y, and LB/RB toggle amulets (would do this differently if accessories could be toggled too like on PSP). Lets me access both magic and attack from the jump button, and the one I need to hold most (X) can easily be held down.

(Actually, I'm using the PS3 controller, but I'm emulating the 360 pad for convenience's sake should I switch, so listing 360 buttons instead of Playstation.)
I still suffered pain in my thumb with the 2000 if I played regularly (ie an hour a day, or even less).
Actually Daxter was one of the games that I did play with the nub and put me off future use.

So yeah it's probably Daxter's fault.
Geez, maybe it's really just that one game being completely awful to control with a nub than anything else. Though with the Vita even that's probably moot.
Is anyone else having an issue when trying to change the buttons? It seems that if I try to change them, the changes never stick and always go back to default when I load the game. All other options in the config seem to work correctly.
Make sure you click Apply, and don't open Configuration back up unless you need to. Hopefully this can be patched or whatever, it's kind of annoying to have resets and any attempts at saving alternate settings in a file not working.

krYlon

I tried playing with keyboard controls today and it plays really well.
I forgot how responsive and comfortable keys can be for action games. Then again, I did grow up playing games that way.

I wouldn't play the whole game like that though, I fear that I would end up breaking the keyboard.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu

Everything I configured saved except for the camp menu button. I have to manually change it each time I start the game.

I made a custom key file. I believe its on the right side of the key configuration menu

I'm gonna stop playing for now. Been at it for almost 6 hours now, maybe more. Been a while since a game has pulled me in this much. It's so damn fun.

The thread is going by fast because there's a lot of new people playing--I assume--which is great! A lot of us probably wanted them on PSP but never got around to it (that was my situation, anyway), but it being on Steam is so much simpler now. Its alluring price point definitely helps. I wonder how Steam sales compare to the PSP sales.

woo.png
I helped with some of those!

Pyrrhus

Anybody have any suggestions for the ALchemy settings that will let the sound play properly on a Soundblaster card in Windows 7? I've added the game to the ALchemy menu for the soundcard and turned on EAX 2.0 in the game's configuration but the music is extremely choppy.

I would definitely like to play this game in 5.1 surround sound, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game looks surprisingly good. Just wish I could rotate the camera and zoom a bit out.

Shows you don't need a huge budget for something pleasing to the eye either.

Makes me want to see modern takes on Xenogears/Grandia style RPGs.

vall03

bought the game a couple of hours ago, no time to even download and install it since I need to go to school. Im also planning to gift this to my two friends next month when my credit resets. This game seriously needs more love. This is also going to be my third playthrough of the game, when it comes to achievements... I don't know if I can do the ones that require a particular difficulty. Even on normal, I had a lot of trouble with most bosses.

Nif

That's weird. Tell 'em to just try rebooting. Otherwise, installing the MS PGothic font might work as the game will fall back on it if somehow the built-in font isn't working.

Hey, that worked. Thanks!

epmode

So the in-game manual mentions a move that triggers when you attack immediately after coming to a standstill. I can't get it to work. Am I missing something obvious?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Btw the config for me borked when I clicked on a function to then press the button to bind it to but it was still functional even if it looked messed up. And every time I start it it shows the default controls, but it does save the bindings how I want them. So yeah don't worry about such issues if you get them too as long as it worked right. Simple game anyway, I just set the menu to start, bracelet changes to LB RB and all the rest functions to the face buttons. Y focus, B spell, A attack, X jump.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man... I can't believe how much better the PC version of this game is. Played a little over an hour of it and it's just so pretty. And smooth.

Top Bottom