• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces extraordinary loss of 7.1 bn yen, layoffs, restructures, cancels games

Other than the Yakuza series and a select few other titles, Sega are fucking shit these days.

It's not surprising they're struggling when they still focus on Sonic and haven't made a good game in that franchise since the Megadrive.

monome

If Bayonetta 2 is canned (which is far from sure), i'll bet my ass in a bikers' club the game will be reskinned and get another publisher.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Other than the Yakuza series and a select few other titles, Sega are fucking shit these days.

It's not surprising they're struggling when they still focus on Sonic and haven't made a good game in that franchise since the Megadrive.

Not sure if serious.

Sonic games sell a metric shitton, regardless of their quality.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I find it disappointing so many think SEGA are shit these days. They were something like 5-6 years ago. However, I would argue the titles they've been releasing the last 3-4 years have been quite excellent overall. From Valkyria Chronicles, to Bayonetta and Vanquish and MadWorld and Infinite Space, to Sonic Generations and Colors, to the Yuzuka series and Binary Domain, to the Total War games, to House of the Dead: Overkill, to Rhythm Thief and Shinobi 3DS, and the likes. I think most of the people making those claims must be caught in the past or blinded by their own personal dislike for SEGA, likely.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I find it disappointing so many think SEGA are shit these days. They were something like 5-6 years ago. However, I would argue the titles they've been releasing the last 3-4 years have been quite excellent overall. From Valkyria Chronicles, to Bayonetta and Vanquish and MadWorld and Infinite Space, to Sonic Generations and Colors, to the Yuzuka series and Binary Domain, to the Total War games, to House of the Dead: Overkill, to Rhythm Thief and Shinobi 3DS, and the likes. I think most of the people here must be caught in the past or their own personal dislike for SEGA, likely.

Most of those games aren't developed by Sega.

I find it disappointing so many think SEGA are shit these days. There were something like 5-6 years ago. However, I would argue the titles they've been releasing the last 3-4 years have been quite excellent overall. From Valkyria Chronicles, to Bayonetta and Vanquish and MAdWorld and Infinite Space, to Sonic Generation and Colors, to the Yuzuka series and Binary Domain, to the Total War games, to House of the Dead: Overkill, to Rhythm Thief and Shinobi 3DS, and the likes. I think most of the people here must be caught in the past or their own personal dislike for SEGA, likely.

Pretty much.

Eh, Sega's had a decade or more of shittiness to recover from. You don't change a long-held perception that easily and especially when they haven't had a single breakout original hit in a very long time.

Combichristoffersen

Yeah? Embarrassing. People should be ashamed of buying a Sonic game in the last ten years.

They are games made for kids. Kids aren't gonna be bothered by bad graphics, shitty friends, werehog, glitches, terrible stories, interspecies romance, Shadow the AngstHog or finding the computer room.

better not cancel Yakuza 5!

Rubyeclipse: do you have the numbers on Yakuza 3, 4 and DS? Did the western versions sell enough to break even?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow...just wow. The internet will have a meltdown if it's revealed that bayo 2 has been cancelled.
I don't know one persn who even cares for that franchise. That includes me. They could improve their odds with me in a sequel but that may not happen.

IpsoFacto

Most of those games aren't developed by Sega.

Published by SEGA, IPs owned by the company. The issue of inhouse/external dev is entirely irrelevant.

There is one major difference, however.
For whatever reason, the bad SEGA games never seem to leave the video game collective zeigeist. Particularly the really bad ones based on the Marvel license, all of which were movie tie-ins, to which unsurprisingly were bad, but bad movie-tie ins are commonplaceand are expected to be bad all the same. Yet it is the only time, you will hear the word SEGA being uttered.

On the flip side, any SEGA game that gets a green score on Metacritic gets great buzz immediately after it's release and is quickly forgotten by the video game community, as if it never existed.

Notice how even Sonic chatter has died out ever since Sonic Generations was released... Being a good SEGA has this unfortunate curse attached to it.

Combichristoffersen

Sonic Generations is pretty good.

It's very good. The only downside is that it's so short, unless you play all those side missions. Still, Sonic these days is primarily aimed at children and young teenagers, who gladly buy Sonic games in droves regardless of the quality. Sonic back in the 16-bit days was more akin to Mario in that the games weren't aimed at a specific demographic.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's sad how poorly the industry has transitioned to the "HD Generation" of gaming.
The Western side of the industry has been thriving this generation. It's the Eastern developers and publishers that have been struggling since day 1. Things seemed to be improving as of late, but this news is definitely not good.

It's very good. The only downside is that it's so short, unless you play all those side missions. Still, Sonic these days is primarily aimed at children and young teenagers, who gladly buy Sonic games in droves regardless of the quality. Sonic back in the 16-bit days was more akin to Mario in that the games weren't aimed at a specific demographic.
That is NOT a downside. The concern over Sonic games being short is specifically what lead to Sonic's shitty friends and all of their awful gameplay. Why do you think the Werehog was used in Unleashed? Sonic Generations is great simply because they finally cut the filler from the main game.

The Western side of the industry has been thriving this generation. It's the Eastern developers and publishers that have been struggling since day 1. Things seemed to be improving as of late, but this news is definitely not good.

I don't know if thriving is the right word. There have been many western studios struggling this gen. Maybe not as much but it still hasn't been an easy gen for them.

IrishNinja

I find it disappointing so many think SEGA are shit these days. They were something like 5-6 years ago. However, I would argue the titles they've been releasing the last 3-4 years have been quite excellent overall. From Valkyria Chronicles, to Bayonetta and Vanquish and MadWorld and Infinite Space, to Sonic Generations and Colors, to the Yuzuka series and Binary Domain, to the Total War games, to House of the Dead: Overkill, to Rhythm Thief and Shinobi 3DS, and the likes. I think most of the people making those claims must be caught in the past or blinded by their own personal dislike for SEGA, likely.

fuckin' thank you. this "lol sega" meme is about as worthwhile as comics-talk from people who read some x-men in the 90's.

Yeah? Embarrassing. People should be ashamed of buying a Sonic game in the last ten years.

Sonic Colors & Generations say fugouttahere
for real though, did you play those?

ZoddGutts

Odd that there wasn't any DLC new levels for Generations, would have been easy money, since people wanted more levels from the older Sonic games to be in this game.

Why do you link me to some DS game noone cares about when I'm speaking about real Aliens RPG that was developed by Obsidian for HD platforms ?

And while it's good that they are developing another Yakuza - tons of time were lost thanks to Binary Domain.

That DS game no one cares about was made by Wayforward, and it's a pretty cool game actually.

Combichristoffersen

That is NOT a downside. The concern over Sonic games being short is specifically what lead to Sonic's shitty friends and all of their awful gameplay. Why do you think the Werehog was used in Unleashed? Sonic Generations is great simply because they finally cut the filler from the main game.

A $60 game that can be completed in 3 hours isn't exactly good value for money, but yeah, I see your point.

Odd that there wasn't any DLC new levels for Generations, would have been easy money, since people wanted more levels from the older Sonic games to be in this game.

Yeah, wonder why they didn't cook up some DLC for old Mega Drive levels.

SykoTech

Well, my hopes of ever getting a Jet Set Radio sequel or proper successor to Valkyria Chronicles just sank lower than I thought they could go. Chances of getting more Virtua Fighter games localized probably aren't too good either.

*sigh*

So who's gonna buy Sega?

EA?
MS?
Nintendo?

Ew. Pick your poison.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
yes, but a new console generation will help pushing these budgets even faster!
Yeah, 'AAA' game budgets can rise seemingly without limit in the current gen, but that doesn't mean there isn't going to be a sudden hike with the next gen. I think that's a near certainty, and life is only going to get harder for so-called 'B-tier' developers.
If Bayonetta 2 is canned (which is far from sure), i'll bet my ass in a bikers' club the game will be reskinned and get another publisher.
It had better be. I hate the idea of Kamiya's time being wasted on a project that goes nowhere due to circumstances beyond his control.

Erethian

Yeah, 'AAA' game budgets can rise seemingly without limit in the current gen, but that doesn't mean there isn't going to be a sudden hike with the next gen. I think that's a near certainty, and life is only going to get harder for so-called 'B-tier' developers.

Don't forget 'AAAA' games.

Gustav

Banned
If there is one Japanese company that should succeed it's SEGA. I mean Valkyria Chronicles, VF5, Yakuza series, amazing DD ports like Sonic CD and Dayatona, plus publishing Bayonetta, Vanquish..... Seriously SEGA has delivered a lot more quality content then Konami, Capcom or SE. God if only I was a millionaire I would totally help them out :(

Time for Notch to step up and prove what a great guy he really is

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sega All Star Racing 2 and Generations DLC would fix this.

Wondering how things would have turned out if they never released and subsequently recalled all those terrible early gen Sonic games.

I would have also linked to the thread with Vigil and Relic cuts.

The reality is neither Western nor Eastern developers are doing well. It just happens that Eastern developers are hemorrhaging faster.

The Blockbuster mentality really does have to stop. Sure, it makes average game quality better, but, if the result is higher game prices and studios shutting down, I think its much better to have an industry with solid B-C tier titles that are budgeted as such with a smattering of big budget titles.

It's incredible, both literally and in a sad way, that this is a company that once sat as the main competitor of Nintendo.

To see how Nintendo can soar so high while Sega is like this... it's rather sad (especially since I was always more of a Megadrive kid than SNES)

Yeah, I had an NES but was a Genesis guy in the 16 bit era.

The funny thing is, after skipping SNES and N64 , the thing that brought me back to Nintendo was Sega's exit from the hardware market.

I loved my Dreamcast, and when they killed it I went out and bought a Gamecube even though I had a PS2. I couldn't believe what was happening to Sega and I shuddered at the idea of losing both of the old guard - so I started supporting Nintendo from that point on.

Jonnyram

I'm honestly a little surprised by this. Have they revealed what the biggest culprits were?
I guess there was a lack of the XBLA/PSN moneyspinners that they have had in previous years too, though.
Maybe this is why they unveiled the Sega Ages stuff today.
Also, PSO2 was way behind schedule. That could have had a lot to do with it.

frequency

As many good games as we got this generation, I still hate it. Way too many casualties. HD graphics aren't worth this to me.

Top Bottom