• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega announces extraordinary loss of 7.1 bn yen, layoffs, restructures, cancels games

As long as we get Bayonetta 2, I don't care what happens to Sega.

Depending on how it works out, and if Sega wants to SELL the franchise if they're unwilling to publish it, it's likely we're not going to see it. Hell, it looks like we're not even gonna see Anarchy Reigns anymore.

Monocle

Depending on how it works out, and if Sega wants to SELL the franchise if they're unwilling to publish it, it's likely we're not going to see it. Hell, it looks like we're not even gonna see Anarchy Reigns anymore.
It's a real shame that profitability is seldom proportional to quality and creativity.

micster

Mario wakes up in what ever world Sonic is from. Sonic wakes up in Mushroom Kingdom.

Each of them have to battle their way back home.

5sURx.jpg

1-D_FTW

It's a real shame that profitability is seldom proportional to quality and creativity.

It's a bigger shame that publishers couldn't create realistic sales expectations and then craft budgets that would allow those games to be profitable. Quality and creativity have nothing to do with budget.

IpsoFacto

According to this recent update:

Update: After the break, find Sega of America's full statement.
Statement from Sega of America regarding restructuring:

Due to the challenging economic climate and significant changes within the interactive gaming industry, SEGA has made the decision to consolidate its publishing business in order to focus on developing digital content and driving its existing IP such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Total War, Football Manager and the Aliens franchise. This realignment of the business around existing and digital IP is a necessity to ensure that SEGA continues to invest and enhance its digital business offering, whilst reducing its reliance on traditional packaged goods.

As a result of the SEGA Sammy Board decision to consolidate the business, many of our internal functions will be re-structured and this could result in a number of redundancies within the publishing business across the Western organisation. The company will be entering into a re-structure phase to reflect the unprecedented change in our industry and to move the company forward appropriately.

The changes will position SEGA as a content led organisation, maximising sales with a strong and balanced IP portfolio across both packaged and digital distribution. The management team are confident that the proposed restructure will benefit the company and make it fit for purpose within the changing nature of the industry over the coming years.

In short: More focus on digital only titles, lay-offs and changes. The good thing is that the rumoured cancellled titles must've been "crossed wires" or something like that.

daycru

Let's be realistic here.
The huge loss is just because of R&D. And the restructuring is to prepare for their new direction - to be revealed at E3. The cancellations are so they can focus on their real big thing.

Sega is coming back into the hardware business.
I love you.

IpsoFacto

Valve, Bethesda, Namco, Ubisoft, Atlus, Konami all say hello.

You got me there. I forgot about those, but I'll just stick to the publishers:

.Konami just recentely threw Silent Hill under the bus and they quietly released a sequel to a game nobody wanted.
SquareEnix right now is betting all on EIDOS's old back catalogue.

Namco Bandai's oddly enough seems to be the only one actually getting something done.

I also forgot Tecmo-Koei, but then again, I barely hear about them...

SykoTech

It's a running joke. Stupid Nintendo fanboys tend to crash into any publisher/developer bad-news thread to go NINTENDO SHOULD BUY THEM. It's impossible to tell what is parody and what is actual insane fanboyism anymore! They have blended into one.

Heh. I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. I never really see any of the rabid people screaming "Nintendo should buy them!!!" in actual threads about Sega games either. Wouldn't be surprised if none of them were actual Sega fans. Just Nintendo fanboys wanting their beloved corporation to dominate the industry.

Mario & Sonic did more than that, London might have stopped at 4.

I don't exactly consider those Sonic games, but I could see someone doing so.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of how much the Mario & Sonic Olympic cash-ins sell. But like you, I wouldn't consider that a "Sonic" game.

Koralsky

Well, at least we will receive AR

I think there's a good chance if this game do well (enough), we can have a new Bayonetta game.

I'm hoping this post from SEGA is legit, because this will mean they think Bayonetta is popular IP. So, there's hope.

I didn't have much interest in AR, but I will buy it day one for support Platinum and chances SEGA eventually release Bayo 2.

Coxy

I'm hoping this post from SEGA is legit, because this will mean they think Bayonetta is popular IP. So, there's hope.

I didn't have much interest in AR, but I will buy it day one for support Platinum and chances SEGA eventually release Bayo 2.

that is an aprils fools :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Revised statement from Sega of America, no loss of meaning or clarity:
We're doing shitty, so we've decided to double down on what works (digital, Sonic, Total War, Football Manager, and the Aliens franchise) and stop taking risks on things that don't. We really don't want to go bankrupt. We're laying off most of Sega of America.

1-D_FTW

Revised statement from Sega of America, no loss of meaning or clarity:

Succinct and to the point. I'm already liking this new Sega. Good to see they're beginning to understand they're a business and need to start making sound decisions. Hopefully it means Nagoshi goes back to his arcade roots (that translate so well to the DD world) and gets off the vanity projects.

IrishNinja

Hopefully it means Nagoshi goes back to his arcade roots (that translate so well to the DD world) and gets off the vanity projects.

he should be allowed to do both - the latter though, really needs to go digital and port to everything possible without breaking the budget.

Tizoc

stups where does this put my Yakuza 5 localization chances, 100% or say only 90%

level with me here

Somebody link Nagoshi's twitter account and we can all beg him to have the game localized...and get released a few months after the JP ver. @3@

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Such totally depressing news, especially since the games they are focusing on, with the exception of Sonic, are titles I couldn't even begin to force myself to care about. Seriously this is such a horrible time to be a gamer who grew up with classic Japanese franchises in the 80's and 90's, especially one who found SEGA's HD output to be some of the best this gen (namely, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles and the Platinum games).

mrgone

Well, at least we will receive AR

I think there's a good chance if this game do well (enough), we can have a new Bayonetta game.

that is an aprils fools :(

Oh, for fuck's sake

IpsoFacto

Guys, they already clarified that they aren't axing any titles, including the current crop of games (I guess it boils down to whatever they'll be showcasing at E3):

Due to the challenging economic climate and significant changes within the interactive gaming industry, SEGA has made the decision to consolidate its publishing business in order to focus on developing digital content and driving its existing IP such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Total War, Football Manager and the Aliens franchise. This realignment of the business around existing and digital IP is a necessity to ensure that SEGA continues to invest and enhance its digital business offering, whilst reducing its reliance on traditional packaged goods.

I'm just speculating, but hopefuly the Yakuza brand will not get axed. In the worst case scenario, it's going to be a Japan-only title (like the current crop of Shining games). Nagoshi's Yakuza games sell very well in Japan, whatever they get out of the western market is chump change in comparison.
SEGA keeps localizing these games because there is indeed an audience that is obssessed with japanese culture, but I like I said, it's chump change.

Take this as wishful thinking.

Top Bottom